What do you like about the Grand Floridian?

ezbfields

Earning My Ears
Over the years, I've stayed at just about all of the DVC Park Resorts. One exception is the Grand Floridian. What do you like about this resort that makes it stand above the others? Leaning towards staying there on my next trip.

Thanks

Stayed there once. Not as crowded as the other resorts, less kids, slightly better service. What I don't like is the main pool (too boring), lack of attendants for drinks / food orders. I'd rather stay in 4 Seasons if I'm paying that kind of price.

VGF is one of my home resorts. I bought there in order to be able to stay there. I love the theme, the bright, airy lobby, the abundance of floral landscaping. Sitting in the lobby and listening to the piano or the band is a favorite pastime. I love the easy access to a variety of dining choices either right there in the resort or a short monorail ride away. The pools at the resorts are not as big a draw for me as they were when my children were young but I find the splash and play area to be charming and I can envision grandchildren enjoying it one day. And DVC parking at VGF is much more convenient than my other two home resorts (AKV & BWV).

VGF is a beautiful resort and it's close to MK. You also have many dinning options in this area of the world and the TOWL. Staying in this area has a totally different feel then staying in an Epcot area resorts which is usually where we stay.

The units are so much nicer than my house! We think the quick service restaurant has the best selection compared to the other resorts. The pools are nice. We enjoy listening to music in the main lobby in the evening. We have stayed about 4 times with another trip planned for January, all using our SSR points, works for us.

The small-ish DVC wing is nice and intimate, stunning grounds, walk to Poly/TTC, no bad views (pretty much either monorail, Poly, or lake), biggest studios.

I too bought there. It's a tough resort to get a room inside the 7 month mark. I felt it had the best of both worlds. Studios sleep 5 for my 3 kids. As they start to move on, my wife and I can enjoy it into our retirement years.

I own at VGF. Of course I got it sight unseen when it was under construction.

The DVC wing is nice and quiet. Has its own check in facilities.
The rooms are very nice,
Location. Poly is a short walk for even more options, and I think Gasparilla Grill is a quiet, under rated quick service.
Main lobby is nice to sit in and listen to the music and ppl watch.
Good amount of Dining options.

The pools should be better for a resort of that 'caliber'
There can be a snobby atmosphere that some dont like (although i personally think the Yacht club is much worse - that and CR are the only 2 resorts I have not stayed in)

There can be a snobby atmosphere that some dont like (although i personally think the Yacht club is much worse - that and CR are the only 2 resorts I have not stayed in)

This is how my husband feels about this resort, he always has even before there was a DVC here. I like this resort and I figure if I can afford to stay here I'm just as good as anybody else staying at this resort. The main reason we don't stay here more often is because my husband doesn't really like it... :sad2:

This is how my husband feels about this resort, he always has even before there was a DVC here. I like this resort and I figure if I can afford to stay here I'm just as good as anybody else staying at this resort.

I, too, like this resort although I never felt the snobby feel to GF. I use it often as our resort when staying onsite, next being in 12 days in a 2 bedroom for 10 nights using our $70 SSR points YEY me LOL

no bad views (pretty much either monorail, Poly, or lake)
1221, a standard studio, is the only dud.
There can be a snobby atmosphere that some dont like
I used to think so, before we first stayed there in the hotel section. It's now become our family's favorite resort. Some of it is the styling, it feels a little "old fashioned" as my DH used to say. But DH and DD1 both say it's their favorite resort, so by sheer number of votes, it wins in our family.

Things I like about VGF:
1. check in is sitting down at a desk, a much calmer experience. The lobby is smaller so my kids can actually play and hang out nearby and not be bouncing around during check in.
2. Split bath in the studios - 2 showers and more space to get ready
3. quiet villa building that has a covered walkway to the main building where the shops, restaurants and monorail are
4. villa building is close to splash pad and feature pool, which have a view onto the lagoon. (go out the back door of the building, not the main door!)
5. we love the hustle and bustle of the main lobby, as @jerseyduke says. There is usually music, and my kids are the ones running around and dancing and taking away from the snobby atmosphere... ;)
6. great food options
7. great service/attention to detail: one time we were walking around the lobby and my DD1 (then 5) was wearing an Aurora dress. The pianist saw her walk by and started playing the Sleeping Beauty Waltz, which led to an adorable impromptu father/daughter dance. Another time when we were staying at the hotel section, they made a mistake with the room assignments where they put us in a room that was already occupied (!!) and then the only room they could put us in after that was clearly a room that they used only in emergencies when they had no other rooms (the furniture and everything else in the room was super worn, and was not the view that we had booked (this was not DVC)). They put us there for 1 night and then moved us back to the original building and a view we had requested, comped us 1/2 the first night's stay (or maybe even all of it, can't remember) and loaded a bunch of anytime FPs on our MDE. Super nice staff at all times, whether we had hiccups with our stay or not.

7a. Another time we were hanging out in the evening with another family (friends) and our 4 kids all aged 3-7. They kept giving the pianist requests and dancing by the piano. Mostly Disney songs, but not all - some were pop songs. He played them all!

I like it for a trip with a large group. The spa, dining, shops, theme, proximity to golf courses and monorail/boat allows lots of choices for people to split up and come back together easily. If someone(s) wants to go back to the room for a bit, others can stay entertained- and meet easily at one of the restaurants or even MK. It’s so pretty too. There is nothing like looking out from your hotel at fireworks.

Everything! Beautiful grounds, the beach pool, castle out your back door. I just love being there.

We've stayed at VGF and enjoyed the amenities of the resort as well as the monorail access to two parks. We found the DVC villas there to be beautiful and comfortable.

There can be a snobby atmosphere that some don't like (although i personally think the Yacht club is much worse - that and CR are the only 2 resorts I have not stayed in)

I agree that especially the main lobby of Grand Floridian is a beautiful area, and exudes luxury to me. However, "snobby" isn't a word I would apply since that would be more of a reference to the attitude of the guests and CMs. And we haven't seen any snobbishness from anyone there. People certainly don't dress any better than other DVC resorts and I've never seen anyone look down their nose at someone else.

I don't think the people there are snobby. I think that the resort itself has a luxury feel which some people may find too formal and translate as snobbishness. But the guests are the same as I've seen at other DVC resorts for better or worse.

We've stayed at VGF and enjoyed the amenities of the resort as well as the monorail access to two parks. We found the DVC villas there to be beautiful and comfortable.

I agree that especially the main lobby of Grand Floridian is a beautiful area, and exudes luxury to me. However, "snobby" isn't a word I would apply since that would be more of a reference to the attitude of the guests and CMs. And we haven't seen any snobbishness from anyone there. People certainly don't dress any better than other DVC resorts and I've never seen anyone look down their nose at someone else.

I don't think the people there are snobby. I think that the resort itself has a luxury feel which some people may find too formal and translate as snobbishness. But the guests are the same as I've seen at other DVC resorts for better or worse.

I agree 100%. I think it’s a perception we all have had, but after our first stay there, I couldn’t understand what I was so worried about. It’s one of my Home resorts, which I purchased within a couple weeks after returning from my first stay there!

I love all of the dining options that are available onsite. The rooms decor appeals to me as well.

We just stayed there for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago after our cruise. We love the quick service options at the resort. Great sit down dinner options at the resort and the ability to hop on the monorail for additional restaurant options. The resort is also so relaxing and the rooms are beautiful - I could have spent several days soaking in the bathtub of our 1 bedroom while watching TV. Watching the monorail from the balcony while drinking coffee in the morning is also really nice.

Great sit down dinner options at the resort and the ability to hop on the monorail for additional restaurant options. The resort is also so relaxing and the rooms are beautiful - I could have spent several days soaking in the bathtub of our 1 bedroom while watching TV. Watching the monorail from the balcony while drinking coffee in the morning is also really nice.

This reminds me of the first time we stayed at GF, it was the 2nd year this resort was open and we had a room on an upper floor looking out over the marina area and monorail. It was a really nice view. We were there for 10 days so towards the end of the trip we had afternoon time to relax at the resort. Our son rode the monorail to the Contemporary and went to the arcade that used to be there and our daughter was outside looking for little lizards :-)crazy: yuck, I don't like lizards but she did). DH and I were able to sit out on the balcony and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the boat activity and the monorail going by. It was a very enjoyable afternoon for all of us.

I'm sure if you decide to stay at this resort you will enjoy it, it is truely a beautiful resort with many great amenities. pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!