• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do?

MagikMom

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what the rest of you do with your left over food after vacation. I hate just throwing stuff out. What I have done the past 2 vacations is anything that is unopened, like cans of soup, grapefruit, apples, ect., I leave on the kitchen table with a note for mousekeeping saying Please take these home if you wish. Does anyone else do this too? I just hate wasting food especially if someone else can use it.

We've left unopened food, too. Generally bottles of water.

Yes, we do the same. On occasion (rarely:rolleyes1 ) if there's been any unopened alcohol, (Beer bottles for example) we might catch one of the "neighbors" to see if they are interested in it. I think I read somewhere here that mousekeeping isn't allowed to accept alcohol.

We bring any water bottles left down to the bellmen and valets -- it is usually quite appreciated.

Last time we stayed at OKW, mousekeeping told us they were not permitted to keep anything even if unopened. We tried giving neighbors our water and unoped beer and they refused and not very nicely. So I guess I will try and buy less this time. I hate wasting.

That's too bad that Mousekeeping isn't allowed to keep anything! What made me start thinking about this is I just made out the grocery list for our upcoming vacation. I don't know, maybe I'll ask "the neighbors". Hopefully they won't be mean to me even if they don't want the stuff!

What if those of you who bring laptops could communicate through an added forum on the DIS for this purpose? If someone leaving has leftovers, they could post it on the DIS and anyone staying at the same resort (or even another resort) could respond if they wanted the items.

This could work for food, beverages, laundry products, pool items (noodles or floaties), grilling items (charcoal and lighter), paper products (plates, napkins) and lots of other items.

This special forum could also be used to arrange get-togethers with fellow DISsers who are also at WDW.

I have a laptop but don't usually spring for the access. We normally just use it to download pictures each night. But if it got started, I probably would go on line to access that info. It is a great idea.

The only unopened thing I ever have is bottled water. I just leave it, I assume the housekeepers could take it. I don't think anyone is going to be suspicious of a housekeeper drinking water.

We usually leave our leftover unopened things, mostly pop, for Mousekeeping with a note.

I would love having a forum to communicate with people at WDW when I'm there! I'm going in December and it looks like a lot of us will be there at the same time! I'd love to be able to pass along our extra water and pop.

Because we have always been told mousekeeping can't take it, even if it is unopened, we usually take any unopened items out to the parking lot and look for guests who are arriving or who are obviously not leaving. We then ask if they want any of it. I have been able to place most of it that way, and anything I can't find a new home for gets left in the unit for the the mousekeepers to make whatever decision they need to make about it.

On our last trip, I saw a golf cart with four housekeepers dividing food up. It was obviously leftovers. ( head of lettuce, broccoli, water,chips);)

I am glad they take it home. I would hate to see it just thrown away.

What if those of you who bring laptops could communicate through an added forum on the DIS for this purpose? If someone leaving has leftovers, they could post it on the DIS and anyone staying at the same resort (or even another resort) could respond if they wanted the items.

This could work for food, beverages, laundry products, pool items (noodles or floaties), grilling items (charcoal and lighter), paper products (plates, napkins) and lots of other items.

This special forum could also be used to arrange get-togethers with fellow DISsers who are also at WDW.

We usually give it to our neighbors, but, I like this idea better. :thumbsup2

Over the years, we've learned to bring (or ship) just a little bit less than we think we need, since we were also told about the no-leftovers-for mousekeeping policy. If it doesn't quite stretch, we either buy fill-ins at whichever store the resort has, or we eat a few more CS meals. :thumbsup2

On our last trip, I saw a golf cart with four housekeepers dividing food up. It was obviously leftovers. ( head of lettuce, broccoli, water,chips);)

I am glad they take it home. I would hate to see it just thrown away.

Who buys broccoli on vacation???

I am also guilty of buying broccoli while on vacation.:teeth:

This year we will be doing the owner's locker, so I can save any non perishables for the next trip. I will have to make a list of what I put into it so I don't buy that for the next trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter