What do you do to afford your Disney Parks habbit?

We are fortunate to be able to go about three times a year. I am fortunate to have a good job that pays well and investments that have paid well. Not saying to brag but rather to say that dispite our financial situation we have a SWA Visa for helping with air travel, stay almost exclusively value resorts, and have AP's. We like to stay on site even though offsite is cheaper, we don't really mind resonable waits for rides, and because we go frequintly we never are disappointed if we don't do everything every trip. As a result we can easily go three times a year since it is just the wife and I. When our kids were young it was certainly more of a struggle but we managed. Less trips (one a year) but still had a great time.

I don't really know how to describe it but I remember quite well the day we left for home on our first trip with the annual passes. Every trip before we had regrets on that last day if we missed a ride, or did not see a show but after the AP's we said no big deal, we are coming back. The reduction of stress coupled with the flat out dollar and cents savings made every trip since then so much more enjoyable. Now this is not the same for a larger family but for us it has made going a lot more fun.

Maybe I feel better also because I see some of the folks here taking trips to the world that seem to cost more for a week to ten days than all three of our trips cost in a year. The magic for us is there regardless of where we stay or how much we spend.

With the ever increasing cost to get inside the Disney Parks, I was curious as to what this community does for work? Perhaps include the size of your family and a salary range if you feel comfortable.

Family of 4 for me, I work in commercial real estate for a global company. Salary range is 140 to 160k.

Getting tougher and tougher to go.

How many times have you gone already at your age of 33 with your SO and I presume two children? To be honest with you DH and I didn't even start taking our kids until our mid 40's when we had built up some Disney "money". So if you're already finding it difficult right now just wait 10 to 15 years. It might help. :hug:

I have a side business selling homemade pizzas through Facebook which funds Disney. :cold:It's crazy what people will pay if you put a fancy name on it. For example I dont sell pepperoni pizzas I sell handcrafted artisanal home cured organic pork pies lol:jester:

Yep. we live in NYC. I am the only income of a family of 4. After rent, health insurance, basic needs and taxes there really isn't that much left over at the end of the month. So yes it is getting tougher.

Ok, I understand more now. I wondered after I posted that if you possibly lived in NYC or California where home prices are insane (the 50 year old 2000 sq ft house in southern Ca I grew up in is now an almost million dollar house. I honestly do not know how people afford to live there).

I guess one option is always to relocate to a cheaper area if that is an option. $140,000-160,000 would go much, much further in Texas!

In addition to my regular job, I work the funeral circuit as a professional mourner on the weekends. Pays for my DDP.

Really? They still have those?!

(I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not! Message board problems!)

Really? They still have those?!

(I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not! Message board problems!)
::yes:: They do!! I spent a year interning to become a funeral director and it was actually a pretty regular part of certain cultural death rituals. In particular for traditional Chinese funerals, Buddhist monks would hire on as "wailers" and yes, that's exactly what they did. Not sure what that sort of thing paid because they were hired by the families directly but we did serve them lunch, pick them up and drive them home in one of the funeral parlor's stretch limos. :teeth:

::yes:: They do!! I spent a year interning to become a funeral director and it was actually a pretty regular part of certain cultural death rituals. In particular for traditional Chinese funerals, Buddhist monks would hire on as "wailers" and yes, that's exactly what they did. Not sure what that sort of thing paid because they were hired by the families directly but we did serve them lunch, pick them up and drive them home in one of the funeral parlor's stretch limos. :teeth:

Seriously? I thought that poster was joking. You really do learn something new everyday.

Very interesting!

People who do this to earn money for Disney trips call it Extra Mourning Magic:smickey:

My grandfather spared no expense for my grandmother's funeral and had the funeral home include a professional mourner. He. was. HILARIOUS. My siblings, cousins and I were beside ourselves with laughter throughout the whole thing.

Maybe I feel better also because I see some of the folks here taking trips to the world that seem to cost more for a week to ten days than all three of our trips cost in a year. The magic for us is there regardless of where we stay or how much we spend.

This. Couldn't agree more. DW and I are also lucky to have good jobs, but we also have active kids and plenty of expenses. So our WDW trips are done on a shoestring budget and we have a fabulous time. Some things we do to save money at home....our house isn't as "decorated" as we'd like (it's 4 years old now and much of the inside is still builders grade white paint), we buy store brand groceries, don't eat out, DWs car is 9 years old, my clothes are old (not ragged, but just not all new). Just little stuff like that adds up.

Seriously? I thought that poster was joking. You really do learn something new everyday.
:eek: I certainly did the first time I saw it, early on in my employment there. I didn't think much about the 6 monks in saffron robes who filed into the chapel together but when the gong sounded and they all fell to the floor "wailing", I almost fainted. :faint: It's kind of comical in hindsight, because I was responsible for running that particular prayer service and I wasn't sure what exactly I was supposed to do about this spectacle. Thank goodness the receptionist had been there for a long time and quickly clued me in before I intervened.

Only go every couple of years.

Edit: But the title isn't what you are asking.

And no, I'm not telling you my salary. Although I can say is that salary is relative to cost of living.

My grandfather spared no expense for my grandmother's funeral and had the funeral home include a professional mourner. He. was. HILARIOUS. My siblings, cousins and I were beside ourselves with laughter throughout the whole thing.

I have to ask - what did he do and was he supposed to be funny or you just found him to be funny? I have never heard of a professional mourner so I'm intrigued!

We're now at the ages that we have money for travel so we'd don't have to do anything special now, but when we were younger and had children living at home some of the things we did were:

I sold stuff on eBay to make extra money (still do)
I also cleaned the office I worked at - it only took about 4 hours a week
DH worked all available overtime
We drove older, paid for cars (still do)
We rarely ate out, went to movies, etc.
Bought most everything we needed 2nd hand or on sale
Didn't constantly "update" our home. Everything was maintained, but not updated to the latest style.

Overall, we just aren't big consumers of goods. We tend to keep things until they can't be reasonably fixed and when we replace stuff we look to buy good used items as replacements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter