What Do You Do On a "Mom-cation"? Eat and Drink Mostly! October 2018 Dining Report Update 11/13

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by Hettie, Nov 5, 2018.

1. buteraa

buteraa Mouseketeer

Great report so far. A solo trip is on my bucket list.

Hettie likes this.
  2. ThreeBoyMama

ThreeBoyMama DIS Veteran

What a great first day! I can't wait to hear more about your trip. So far I am liking the amount of drinking you're doing :P

Hettie likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. 2xcited2sleep

2xcited2sleep DIS Veteran

Fun first day! So nice as a solo to be able to do what you want with no compromises!

Hettie likes this.
  5. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice A Disboards original...

Reading along and enjoying your report. How did you like Pop Century?

Hettie likes this.
  6. HolRae

HolRae Mouseketeer

Enjoying your reviews. I love solo trips to Disney.

Hettie likes this.
  7. Hettie

Hettie Mouseketeer

We're in Kentucky, just visited Annapolis for the sailboat show. Beautiful city, gorgeous homes, but OMG the traffic! Traffic has gotten pretty bad in our city, but DC area rush hour commute is a whole 'nother story.

Too bad about Tiffins. We've only tried Nomad Lounge and will probably just stick with that as the entrees at Tiffins aren't particularly appealing to me with the current menu.

Thanks! I highly recommend the solo trip after my experience.

Thanks for joining in! I keep a pretty steady pace with the drinks for the whole trip...

I reveled in that quite a bit!

Thanks for joining. I thought Pop was great for my solo trip, I really like their newly remodeled rooms with TONS of storage. I also liked that I could leave the second bed in the storage position and it made it like a nice little studio. The bus service worked well for me, except for one night leaving MK, but there are ways around that...I will expound in my report. I wasn't a huge fan of the food court and the common areas seemed loud to me. I prefer the ambient music at the lodges or the Poly, so I would prefer those resorts for a family trip when we spend much more time at the resort. I also like having table service restaurants at my resort. But definitely would stay there again for a solo trip.

Thanks!!!

8. kastoney

kastoney Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Ahh. I didn't think you were here but one never knows :-) Traffic is certainly its very own four letter word around here. But I've lived here my whole life and quite literally learned how to drive on the Beltway so its sadly just my norm.

Hettie and Araminta18 like this.
  9. Hettie

Hettie Mouseketeer

Day 2 – October 27
    “What are you going to do with it???”
    I woke up around my usual time and I was glad because I was on a mission to ride Slinky Dog at rope drop. I had a cup of coffee in the room and was out the door quickly, walking up to the tapstiles at 8:06 am. It was chilly (below 70) and I was wishing that I had grabbed my sweater. After some line shuffling when a CM came over and informed some of us that she was going to be opening up a set of tapstiles on the far right (opposite side of where we were), I ended up third in line. Woohoo!

I usually avoid these “sea of humanity” events at all costs, especially with the whole family, but I hadn’t been able to get a FP for Slinky Dog and I was determined to ride it. Here I am trying to deal:

IMG_4480.JPG

It wasn’t that bad as a solo, but I absolutely will not do this with a stroller or small child. Just no. I wasn’t throwing elbows, so I think I ended up with about a 10-15 minute wait. Slinky Dog is big fun though, totally worth the early morning and waiting around to get to ride.

I had a FP for Alien Saucers later, but the wait was just 15 minutes so I decided to go ahead and ride in case I wanted to ride twice. It was fun, but not worth a repeat.

IMG_4486.JPG

After that I reluctantly decided to endure the 30 minute wait for TSMM and I’m glad I did because I cancelled all my Studios FP and changed them to MK for the evening, getting some great attractions in the process.

I was getting very hungry haven not eaten anything yet. I had originally thought about eating at the Brown Derby Lounge for lunch, but it wasn’t even 10:30 and I didn’t want to wait around. I decided to go with my backup plan to head over to Epcot to have some more F&W booth items.

It was such a gorgeous morning and the boat became more and more packed as we stopped at each resort. I hopped off at Beach Club and beat the boat to Epcot, heading straight for the France booth which was already open at 10:55.

IMG_4488.JPG

Croissant aux Escargots: Escargot Croissant with Garlic and Parsley — $5.75

St-Germain Sparkling Kir: Sparkling Wine and St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur — $8.50

Man, this was a great brunch. It was one of those moments when you’re in Epcot and the weather is gorgeous and you’re starving and parched…and somehow you find the perfect food and drink. I would eat snails for breakfast every day if they served this on the regular bakery menu. And you can never go wrong with sparkling wine before noon. It was decent and the elderflower liqueur made it fun. I could have eaten 2 or 3 more croissants, they’re very small, but I had other items on my list.

I used to be a big fan of Leffe pale ale and I wanted to try the beer flight in Belgium.

IMG_4489.JPG

Beer Flight: Leffe Blonde Belgian Pale Ale, St. Bernardus Witbier, St. Bernardus Abt 12 — $9.50

The Leffe, oddly enough, ended up being my least favorite, with the ABT being #1 and the Witbier being a close second. However, I wasn’t really feeling the beer in general for some reason and this ended up being my last beer of the trip.

I was still starving and I made my way quickly to my next planned stop at the Spain booth.

IMG_4490.JPG

Seafood Salad with Shrimp, Bay Scallops, Mussels, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, White Balsamic Vinegar and Smoked Paprika – $6

Wine Flight: Lagar de Bouza Albariño, Rías Baixas, Casa Castillo Monastrell, Jumilla, Espelt Garnacha Old Vines, Catalonia – $5.50

The seafood salad was okay. There was plenty of seafood, but it lacked some flavor. It could have used a bit more salt and lot more vinegar as the acidity was nowhere to be found. None of the wines were particularly memorable either, but I still enjoyed my spot by the lagoon soaking up the atmosphere.

IMG_4492.JPG

I was still starving and was excited to pick up something heavier at my next stop in Germany.

IMG_4493.JPG

Schinkennudeln: Pasta Gratin with Ham, Onions and Cheese — $4.25

Even though this dish has been around for years, I had somehow never tried it. I’m glad I finally did because it was basic, comforting, a nice portion and delicious. I gobbled this up quickly and my belly was happy to finally have something of substance.

The only remaining food item on my list for the day was a dessert and I was still feeling pretty hungry. So far I had stuck with my plan to only eat booth items that were new-to-me and I wanted to keep that up. I was walking by the China booth and remembered that some had reported enjoying the beef pancake and I’d been wanting to try the Byejoe Punch for awhile.

IMG_4494.JPG

Xi’an Pancake with Beef — $6.75

Byejoe Punch: Chinese Bai Jiu Spirit, Lychee, Coconut and Pineapple Juice — $10.50

I should have taken a photo of the inside of the pancake, it was full of beef. The pancake was fresh and the beef filling had a decent amount of spice. I was happy with this and glad I tried it. The portion was generous too.

The first sip of Byejoe Punch tasted like suntan lotion. The liquor was poured on top, so I mixed it up better. The next couple of sips were okay, but by the time I got less than halfway through the drink, it started tasting like a mixture of suntan lotion and rocket fuel. The bai jiu spirit just wasn’t sitting well with me and the combination of flavors wasn’t working either. I sadly threw this one out and that’s something I almost never do. At least now I know and I will never order it again.

Continued in next post...

kastoney and tammy like this.
  10. Hettie

Hettie Mouseketeer

My last booth of the day was to be Greece.

IMG_4495.JPG

Wine Flight: Domaine Skouras Moscofilero, Domaine Sigalas Assyrtiko, Argyros Atlantis Red Blend -- $6.50

I enjoyed this wine flight, the reds were tasty and the white a little on the sweet side so I saved it to go with my dessert.

IMG_4496.JPG

Bougatsa: Warm Phyllo Dough Strudel with Sweet Vanilla Custard, Lemon Honey Syrup and Cinnamon – $4

This was right up my alley, the custard filling was barely sweet and I loved the flavors of the syrup and cinnamon. It was also a good size and would be great to share.

Oh, and a funny exchange ensued regarding this item...

IMG_4497.JPG

I needed a plastic wine glass for the room and I had only gotten the flight size so far that day, which is the size of a thimble. While I was waiting for my order in Greece to be ready, I asked if I could possibly have one of the regular size wine glasses and the CM eyed me very suspiciously and said, “What are you going to do with it???” I paused for a moment and finally said, “Ummm…drink wine out of it. In my room. At my resort.” She looked perplexed and turned to another CM in the booth who was just like, “Sure, whatever.” I ended up using my silly little contraband cup the next two days so it was worth the effort.

I stopped for some Photopass photos and obtained this silly shot that was supposed to be my “excited about F&W face”:

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_414043402284.JPG

Then I wandered up to the DVC lounge in the Imagination pavilion to try to recreate an old photo I have, but didn’t have much luck due to some structural changes and really bad photos that a CM took. I’ll have to try again next trip when Chad is with me. I think I ate some Doritos or something in there because I always feel like I should take the “free” stuff since I am, in essence, paying for it anyway. I was starting to get a little tired and since the cool, cloudy weather was not lending itself to a pool day, decided it was naptime and headed back to Pop for a snooze.

Day 2 to be continued…

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 5:07 PM
  11. Ruth B

Ruth B <font color=royalblue>I may ask for Springs<br><fo

What a fantastic trip. great food and drink choices.

Im enjoying following along

12. ThreeBoyMama

ThreeBoyMama DIS Veteran

Seriously, what a fun trip! Loving your photos. Can't wait to hear more :)

13. kastoney

kastoney Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Woohoo!!!! What a great idea to hit rope drop and not even use FP here.

Yum! Looks like the perfect brunch to me too!

I don't think I've seen this pancake before. I love, love, love all things and Chinese so i would be all over this.

Yuck! In what world does suntan lotion and rocket fuel work as a drink :confused3

How weird that they would have questioned giving this to you. Its a cup? What else could you do with it?