What do people dislike about BOG??

We've had lunch there twice, won't be returning. It you have a BATB fanatic then it might well be worth it if you go with the attitude that "we're here to look around" and that the food is secondary. Otherwise it's CS quality food in a series of gigantic rooms that some have compared to a high school cafeteria (more nicely appointed obviously.)

We actually enjoyed our lunch there last month. We both had the braised pork with mashed potatoes and green beans. It was delicious, like a dinner. Tried the grey stuff and my husband had the triple chocolate cupcake. Those were ok; nothing special. But, otherwise, the service was good. We preordered, so were able to skip the long ordering line; looked around before sitting down, and then had our lunch within 5 minutes. My adult son and wife, who visited in October, loved the atmosphere but said their lunch was just ok....he had the French dip and she had one of the salads. For us, the pork dish was worth the price (only $1 more than the turkey sandwich). Looking at the menu, I would never go for breakfast; just too expensive for what they serve. At that price point, you are better off spending a little more and getting a character buffet breakfast.

We have had one lunch and one dinner there and will probably not bother to do either again. Lunch was literally the first week it was open so there was a novelty aspect to the experience that made it more enjoyable but frankly the food was just "okay" and it had a very loud and chaotic feeling.

We returned to dinner last Spring and found that other than the fact that they took our order at the table we didn't feel the atmosphere was much different than it was at lunch ... loud, loud, loud. The service was quick ... so quick we felt a bit rushed but truth be told we weren't looking to spend much more time there anyway.

If you are big fans of Beauty and the Beast you might be able to line up to meet the Beast after you eat but other than that I think the comparison to a (well appointed) school cafeteria wasn't too far off!

Too salty and expensive. I eat French food all the time and this is not good French food.

I really liked the food and experience there at both lunch and dinner. If it wasn’t such a pain to get an ADR, I’d go every trip.

Also, I don’t like the idea of needing an ADR for lunch. For QS, I just want to walk in when I’m ready to eat.

We’ve only had dinner, but for our 9 day trip it was most definitely the worst food we had - so disgusting I couldn’t eat it. Definitely a one and done for our family. :scared:

Looking at major thread title:

What do people dislike about BOG??

Fairly simple. GREAT Building, Cafeteria Food. What a waste of great architecture :(.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

We are dinner there 3 years ago:

Food was very good, but all entrees came out at different times. My husband got his 20 minutes after the first person got hers.

It's gorgeous, but loud and cramped. Little room to move.

It was a fun experience but do not need to repeat.

The theming is great the first time you visit, so for that I would definitely go once. Although, we went soon after it first opened. Not sure how it’s held up since then.
The selections for food choices are underwhelming and the food was just ok. The two times we went the service was not the best.

I don't like the fact that during breakfast and lunch, folks are just wandering around everywhere taking pictures while you're trying to eat. Many folks treat the restaurant like an attraction, and have no respect for people trying to actually eat.
This is why I would feel awkward about going. I love theming and I love inspecting all the details in it, but it's just so rude... to wander around people eating with their families at tables, so that you can get a crazy selfie shot in "Beast's Castle!!!1" I mean, I'm in enough people's photo backgrounds as it is and I wish I wasn't.

Maybe theme up another bathroom tower like Rapunzel *giggles* I know they already have the Enchanted Tales M&G, but ohhhhh I am sure there is a way to logistically coordinate being a cafeteria, a M&G, a dinner TS restaurant, and a themed photographic heaven.

I've been there for one lunch and one dinner. Lunch food was not as good as high school cafeteria. Dinner food was slightly better but not great. The food just does not impress me.

I tried it for both breakfast and lunch.

The breakfasts we were served were barely warm. Definitely overpriced!
The lunch was a chaotic mess. The ordering process took 20 minutes because the kiosks weren't working. One serving station didn't have cups so I walked to another that had the cups but no straws. The food was mediocre. We should have gone to Columbia Harbor House.

Thanks all....after much debate my daughter wins..we are going back for the theming.

I still like BOG. Lots of good points in this thread. Some downsides for me:

Lunch: Not really any. I've only had solid lunches here. I prefer BOG and CHH over all other QS in MK. Nothing amazing here, but the turkey sandwich is still a cut above simple deli meat.

Dinner: I agree with a lot of others. A huge downside is the hype associated with it being 'hard to get.' The main dining room is loud! I've always asked to be in the West Wing and the wait was always 30+ minutes extra. That said, our first dinner here was just merely OK. We were quite underwhelmed in 2014. May of 2017 we decided to give it another shot. This time the food was much improved. The lamb entree and scallops pasta were solid. The service was rushed though. I understand they're going for volume, but it still was too rushed. We had our soups in under 2 minutes! We were done all of our courses before our bottle of wine due to the crazy pacing. We're going back in April, we'll see what happens.

That said I like BOG and I think a lot of reviews are a little hyperbolic mostly stemming from unrealistic expectations because it's so hard to get.

Thanks all....after much debate my daughter wins..we are going back for the theming.

Good choice. We've been to many worse meals becasue of places our kids wanted to eat when they were younger. Don't regret any of them.
The atmosphere is great. The food is ok, but nothing special. Hope you enjoy.

Although I've read plenty about why other people don't like BoG (and it's hard to disagree with many of those), the biggest issue I have is that it tries to be too many different things to everyone. It wants to be QS and TS (with menus to match). It wants to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner. It wants to be heavily themed, but not require any interaction. It wants to be a character meal, but only part time with one character. It wants to be partly self-service, but also use wait staff. It wants to do advance ordering, but not mobile ordering. It wants to feel casual during the day and upscale during the evening (with few changes other than full wait staff and menu selections). Like many restaurants that take such an approach, BoG ends up doing many things at an okay level, instead of committing to doing a couple of things exceptionally well. A lot of the problems that I read (chaos, food, price, ambiance, etc.) all seem to relate to the restaurant's conflicted identity. I've done all the meals there at different times of year - and the quality of meals (food and experience) have varied widely. Which leads also to the problem of consistency - I'm never quite sure whether the meal is going to be great or below average (never had what I would call a truly bad meal there).

I do understand that a lot of the way BoG is run stems from trying to meet demand and get as many guests through there as possible. I'm hopeful, however, that these rumors about what's happening with BoG later this summer might address some of those issues and make the overall experience better (or at least more consistent).

This may be the most accurate and well stated post I have ever read on these boards!! And after reading it I totally agree!

We actually love BoG dinner. We also loved the PPO BoG breakfast after it first started a few years ago but we haven't been back since much of the breakfast menu changed and PPO breakfasts aren't really our thing anymore. We did the BoG lunch once and I was disappointed - for the reasons @ShadeDK mentioned. For lunch BoG is really nothing but a HUGE, loud and chaotic QS location that kind of pretends to be TS. Yes, it's in Beast's castle. For us that lunchtime vibe ruins the special feel of eating in Beast's castle. Our food at lunch was also just okay, not bad but nothing really memorable. I can see how some people would also be disappointed with dinner. Compared with Cinderella's castle BoG is ENORMOUS - much larger than most TS non buffet restaurants so there isn't any kind of intimate feel to the experience. For dinner, we don't mind how big it is and we have always had great food and excellent service. We typically don't even wait in line to see the Beast anymore but think it's fun when he makes his "Don't blink or you'll miss it" appearance in the dining rooms. So I completely agree that many people either really enjoy it or are very disappointed depending on what their expectations are for the place.

The noise in the main hall is certainly an issue. It feels like you are eating at a food court in a mall sometimes. We find the breakfast food ok and the dinner decent. We wish the breakfast was as good as CRT.

It costs us about $50 more to eat breakfast at BOG than the resort. It is worth it to us. We get an early reservation and walk on to 7D. We take a couple zip lock bag with us to throw the pastries in for a snack later. For the included drinks we get chocolate milk and milks in bottles but save them for later. We then drink out of the fountain drinks at the restaurant. With the early reservation we can get to the west wing and noise is not too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter