What do I send to a soldier in Afganistan?

shortbun

<font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><
A kid on my old bus route is in Afganistan and having some emotional problems-according to his baby mamma. I met her at a basketball game my son was playing in. So, I want to send this young man some treats and a nice, supportive note from someone he's not expecting to hear from-me. He was being recruited by Notre Dame for track but blew it with insufficient grades. He's a great kid and I'm worried about him. I know my little effort won't give him what he needs but it might give him a small positive point in a day. What's important or currency over there? thank you so much!!!

I have collected moisturizer, small soaps, packaged cookies, pringles and written a letter. He's army, should I try to send socks, underarmour..anything else? I really need some help. I read a website that said MP3 players, DVD's, magazines. I have no idea what he'd like in magazines and I'm not buying him an MP3 player not knowing how he'd get music loaded onto it or a DVD not knowing if he even has access to a player where he is. Need some help here. Thanks!

When im sending stuff to soldiers i dont know well or am not very close to i do homemade treats-vaccuum packed things actually do well just stay away from fudge and the like in the summer months. Any packaged portable snacks are good, copies of the hometown newspaper, especially if its a small town and they arent on the net. lip balm and sunscreen. Small silly toys-things like nerf darts and squirt guns-to help break tension and boredom. Books ifyou know what he likes to read. Candy. Just dont over think and youll be fine. Also get one of those APO flat rate boxes from the post office-it will save you many dollars.

Beef Jerky and Baby Wipes. My friend that has deployed several times said those are the most requested items in any care package!

We have also sent Girl Scout cookies, travel size shampoo/conditioner/lotion, non-meltable snacks like Pringles, jelly beans, life savers, pretzels, toys like squirt guns/nerf guns and magazines (ones that deal with cars or men's health are popular).

Anything is appreciated. If you know this boy personally then a heartfelt note that thanks him for his service would probably perk him up more than anything. You can always ask him if there is anything he would like as a treat that you could send in the next package.

I have had 4 of mine in the Middle East. Things they asked for.

1: Baby Wipes: Showers are almost nonexistant. These are like gold. I would send industrial packages

2: Breath Mints: Any small hard candy to keep the mouth moist. Its incredibly dry.

3: Easy reading. Magazines, comics, etc. Something easily rolled up

4: Snacks: Jerky has already been mentioned. Cookies (Especially girl scout cookies) are great. Trefoils are in a tube and easily stuffed in the pack. Stay away from chocolate, especially by April, its just a mess.

Mickey-Mouse-Salutes-America.jpg

A little Disney never hurts anyone.

Also send beanie babies and candy - soldiers use these to give to children who when gifted and prompted will tell them where IEDs are. You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). My husband enjoyed pringles, cookies, muffins, and really they appreciate anything you send. Do you know where he is, where is stationed and what he does- that would indicate more of what he needs? My husband had regular access to showers, dvd players and the like. I wouldn't send socks - they usually have a boat load (I wish I could rid of some of my husbands since he is home now :P).

Also send beanie babies and candy - soldiers use these to give to children who when gifted and prompted will tell them where IEDs are. You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). My husband enjoyed pringles, cookies, muffins, and really they appreciate anything you send. Do you know where he is, where is stationed and what he does- that would indicate more of what he needs? My husband had regular access to showers, dvd players and the like. I wouldn't send socks - they usually have a boat load (I wish I could rid of some of my husbands since he is home now :P).

I wish I knew exactly where he was in Afganistan but I don't. I'll ask him to write back or email-which I understand he has access to and let me know what he wants. Meantime, I'll send a mix in these first two boxes and hope I hit some good stuff.

Another thing I like to send are the Purel laundry sheets. Sometimes, the troops don't have access to laundry soap, or they send their laundry bags out to have their laundry done for them, and they're unsure of the quality of 'soap' hitting their clothes. If they can stuff one of these laundry sheets in their bag, they can at least feel somewhat confident that some real soap is touching their clothes. I know I used them quite regularly when I was deployed. :)

[ You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). /QUOTE]

not always true-it depends on what you send and how you pack it. Ive sent tons of homemade stuff-never had an issue except with banana bread-but i have a vaccuum sealer and usually choose crispy cookies not soft ones.

I found a recipe for care package brownies just today
http://leitesculinaria.com/70219/recipes-care-package-brownies.html
the author supposedly dissected the MRE brownies and came up with this much better, but just as long lasting, brownie recipe. (here's his blog post describing the process http://leitesculinaria.com/70139/writings-care-packages-for-the-troops.html)

Other fun things: frisbees, baseballs and gloves and even (depending on where they are located) golf clubs and balls (contact your local golf course for donations). Nothing like having one giant sand pit at your disposal. lol

I wouldn't recommend sending anything to hand out to the locals until you know more about his location. My DH is currently in Afghanistan and they are not allowed to give anything at all to the locals, even the children, b/c in my DH's words "anything can be made into an IED".

My DH asked for tissues, dried fruit, magazines, board games, soccer balls, baseball gloves/balls. He said his men really appreciated the sports equipment and board games. (He is not in a location where there is a USO or anything else that has recreational items.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!