• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I need to know about disabilities and WDW?

JenBlaze

Mouseketeer
Hello all! Newbie to the board here.

I'm trying to sweet talk my husband into taking us to WDW this November or December.

The one difference in this trip will be that I just got the news that, while tests aren't back, I most likely have MS. I have trouble walking.

What do I need to know about Disney and having that kind of trouble? I'm guessing I'll need a wheelchair - do they need notification from my doc for that? If I sit my 4yo in my lap, is that allowed?

Pardon all my silly questions, I'm just totally new to, well, everything.

First, welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
Sorry to hear about your probable diagnosis. On a positive note, once you know what you have, there are a lot of good treatments for MS now. That wasn't the case when I was in nursing school (umpteen yrs ago). Hopefully your diagnosis will bring some effective treatment for you.
There are some regular posters to this forum who also have MS and I'm sure some of them will have some hints for you. And one of the biggest things to remember is that there are no silly questions. So, keep thinking them up and we'll keep answering as well as we can.
Here is a link to the official Disney FAQs about touring WDW with a disability page. It includes links to information about each park. WDW is a very accessible spot, in general. Most lines are wheelchair accessible and for some rides you can stay in a wheelchair for the whole ride. Some rides require you to get into a ride car, but as long as you are able to walk a few steps, you will be able to ride anything. (You might want to ask your doctor if there are any types of rides you should not go on).
Here is a
link to a thread on this board that discussed boarding rides for people who might be a little unsteady.

You don't need any "proof" or papers from your doctor to rent a wheelchair. There is information about renting them from the parks in the link above. If you rent from the parks, you will only have it available while you are in the park, not at your resort or to use at places like DD. For that reason, many people choose to rent a wheelchair from one of the offsite medical companies.
Here's a list of the places that DIS posters report having good experiences with:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

All of them will pick up and deliver to your resort in the WDW area.

You could hold your 4 yr old in your lap while someone pushes you in the wheelchair, but that is not going to be comfortable for long, will be hot and will probably tire you out more. It also would make it harder to push the wheelchair.
You might want to look into renting an electric scooter (ecv) so that no one has to push you. That would give you a lot more independence and leave your husband free to push a stroller or hold onto the hand of your 4 yr old. The places above rent ecvs and they have pictures of them on their websites so you can see what they look like. After a little practice (especially for backing), they are very easy to drive.

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to these boards. Many of us have received lots of love and support and especially information. Keep an eye on this board as lots of Diser's post their experiences. As for sweet talking DH I find that I leave some books and "stuff" around about WDW and he gets bitten by the bug!;)

PS early November and early December are great times to travel there, that's when we are going and the weather is cooler and the crowds very low.

Welcome!
I know your diagnosisi is only probale but I'm answering as a person who has MS and "does" WDW twice a year! Lucky me. I rent an ECV from an off-site vendor(Walkers). I love having it for around the resort and at Downtown Disney. It has allowed me to see the world! I'm not tired and DH is not tired from pushing me. I advocate getting the ECV. Although you may feel like "I can get around". Fatigue is the enemy! Take precautions to avoid getting overtired. If you are staying on property WDW transportation (busses, monorail, boats) are very easy to use and if you are renting a car the ECV breaks down into very managable pieces to fit in a car. You don't need a van. As Sue said sitting a child on your lap in a wheelchair may be tiring but sitting a child on your lap in an ECV is dangerous and expressly forbidden in your rental contract. Rental ECV/WC are available at the parks on a limited basis. They cannot be taken from the renting park to another park. Although you don't have to pay twice an ECV may not be available at the second park.
Please ask any question. As it gets closer to your vacation please check back for some hints on how to best manage your MSwhile at the happiest place on earth. There are some great folks here who love to share their experiences.

Forgive my rambling. hope DH gets bitten by the WDW bug .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter