What Disney Movies to Introduce a Toddler to?

I am like others that I have let my kids (5 and 2) see pretty much all the Disney movies. My oldest was a little scared of some scenes at first but has pretty much gotten over it. Although she still doesn't like snow white. Beauty and the beast is a favorite of both girls.

Cinderella isn't scary, cars is good, tinkerbell, lady and the tramp, aristocats, Peter pan would all probably be ok- none of these are very intense.

My 2.75 old son loves

Finding Nemo (we've gotten membership at our local aquarium because he enjoys sea life so much. In your case, I would fast forward the first few minutes because my son says it's the "scary fishy" part but he can watch it without a problem)

Anything and everything Winnie the Pooh!

Tangled (my son doesn't like the witch/stepmother in the beginning, so again, I just fast forward that part)

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (he loves singing along to the theme song)

Wall-e (I think the only scary part is how much unrecyclable garbage Earth has accumulated and therefore must clean for future denizens ;) :lmao:)

My DS's favorites were the Little Mermaid 1 and 2. He really enjoyed those when he was very small. He also loved Toy Story. I would just fast forward past the part where Sid is doing his villainous laugh - that scared DS a bit.

That was one of the benfits of VHS - you could fast forward past a very small section of the movie, without skipping a whole scene.

He did like Beauty and Beast, but only if I fast forwarded past the part where Beast gets really angry. He would also have me keep that one high up in cupboard, not with the other movies. So I know that one scared him more than the others.

Wall-e (I think the only scary part is how much unrecyclable garbage Earth has accumulated and therefore must clean for future denizens ;) :lmao:)

And don't forget the gelatinous blobs that humans have become! And with hardly any bones left. That was pretty horrifying!

My DS absolutely adores Wall-E, which doesn't have any really scary parts.

The things that got our son absolutely hooked in Disney was actually the Disneyland Fun Sing-a-Long - he loved the songs, and he was really comfortable with the characters when we went to WDW when he was 11mo. because he was used to seeing people-sized characters hugging the kids, etc.

Look for the Silly Symphonies collections; they are old shorts. Little kids tend to love them (especially Water Babies -- that was my go-to for both my kids when they were tiny; they were just fascinated and then lulled to sleep right along with the water babies.)

The only three that I would skip are Bambi, Fox and the Hound, and Lion King. Those are the ones were a parent actually dies during the course of the movie, and I think that tends to bother kids.

Also remember that kids tend to look to you for a reaction. If you act anxious about them being scared, they probably will become scared. If you treat it normally, there's a good chance they will not be bothered by it.

The lighter end of the disney spectrum:
Winnie the Pooh
Aristocats
Peter Pan
Cinderella
Beauty and the Beast (I know you mentioned skipping this one, but most kids really don't find it all that scary)
Finding Nemo
Incredibles
Toy Story Series

My daughter is 3 and just watched The Little mermaid for the first time yesterday and she loved it! She loved it so much that we actually ended up watching it 3 times. lol

My DD will be 3 next week and I'm interested in finding out some of the Disney movies that others use that are not too scary for young children. Many (Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Bambi, etc.) have frightening parts in them so I'm choosing to wait until she's a couple of years older before introducing those to her.

'Up' was recommended (I haven't seen that one yet) and she enjoys 'Mary Poppins'. What others do you recommend to gently ease her into the wonderful world of Disney movies?

We've done Nemo since LO was 1

My daughter loved Finding Nemo, and at the age of 2, we had to watch it almost the whole way to Florida and back(from IOWA)....anytime she was crabby, it was the only movie that would make her happy!

My son and now his son (age 3) both loved some oldies, Robin Hood and Jungle Book. The tiger-villain in Jungle Book was not scary like a witch/monster, and the villains in Robin Hood were comical

LOL! Had to giggle when I saw this old thread revived today. My 'almost 3yo' is now just shy of 7 and many more movies have opened up to us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter