Novaguy89

Earning My Ears
So I know that I am asking this question far in advance; however, I am working on planning this trip with someone who is on the other side of the country, and it can be hard sometimes.

The trip isn't until September 10-18, 2021 (I know a long way away) for four people. Two of us have been there, my mother and myself, and her boyfriend and his daughter (19 by then).

I know that almost all of the meals at Disney World are extremely large and filling, but we have an odd bunch of eaters going. My mom and I enjoy breakfast (who doesn't love a great Disney breakfast), her boyfriend doesn't really eat but two meals a day, and those are mostly out of necessity. His daughter says that she eats 3 meals a day, but according to my mom, her eyes are bigger than her stomach.

As my mom and myself have been numerous times, we have a pretty solid idea of where all we want to eat. But the thing is we aren't sure whether it makes more sense to do the Disney Dining Plan Plus or just go for the Deluxe. The biggest reason we are up in the air about this is because a lot of the meals we want count as 2 table service. I know that a lot of people say that any meal that utilizes 2 table service credits isn't worth it, but to us, some of them are.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks, fellow Disney Goers.

It is a math problem

only you can determine what you would spend out of pocket compared to the plans.

my gut reaction is you should pay out of pocket

As my mom and myself have been numerous times, we have a pretty solid idea of where all we want to eat. But the thing is we aren't sure whether it makes more sense to do the Disney Dining Plan Plus or just go for the Deluxe. The biggest reason we are up in the air about this is because a lot of the meals we want count as 2 table service. I know that a lot of people say that any meal that utilizes 2 table service credits isn't worth it, but to us, some of them are.

Forget about any and all dining plans, for now. First determine where you WANT to eat. You can even make a "must-do" list, then a "would like to do list," and/or a "probably will do" list. Once you have a good idea of what you know you want to do, THEN you start to apply the dining plans to see if they will work. Remember to figure in any alcohol for those 21 and over and whether you want apps. Also, if you begin to eye the deluxe plan, at least imagine having four apps, four entrees, four desserts on the table and whether that makes sense for all of you.

It is a math problem

only you can determine what you would spend out of pocket compared to the plans.

my gut reaction is you should pay out of pocket
^ THIS
It took me years to convince my wife the DDP was costing us more than OOP. One simple reason if nothing else - you've pre-paid your food, now you have to eat it. One special meal a trip seemed like a necessity (hey, we're on vacation), one special meal EVERY DAY was far more than we wanted. Add to that, we usually don't get an appetizer, and almost never have an alcoholic drink. But you know what? If that's your style, it just might pencil out. The menus with prices are out there - pretty easy to run the numbers.

The Only way the dining plan is a good idea if you eat a lot of buffets and signature/character meals and there are kiddos involved. Or if it is free dining and you have at least 4 in the room.

We used to get the dining plan but our style of eating isn’t made for it. We like to get two appetizers and one entree and usually no dessert. Now, if I plan on say BoG breakfast, fantasmic dining package at mama melrose, and dinner at O’Hana and a caramel apple and Mickey pretzel then those meals are way over $78 for the day.

I don’t know what dining plan plus is but with your group I definitely would not get the Deluxe Dining plan.

You have plenty of time to look at menus to see if the dining plans are going to save you money.

Happy planning.

Last edited:
The Only way the dining plan is a good idea if you eat a lot of buffets and signature/character meals and there are kiddos involved. Or if it is free dining and you have at least 4 in the room.

While I agree that any DDP needs to match up with how a family eats, the above statement is no longer as true as it once was. The inclusion of alcohol and the price of meals at Disney have once again made the dining plans at least a decent value if you eat and drink the way they are laid out. You don't have to do character or have kids to make it work.

DP+ is a new plan that gives you 2 TS meals per night along with the 2 snacks and refillable mug.

While I agree that any DDP needs to match up with how a family eats, the above statement is no longer as true as it once was. The inclusion of alcohol and the price of meals at Disney have once again made the dining plans at least a decent value if you eat and drink the way they are laid out. You don't have to do character or have kids to make it work.

DP+ is a new plan that gives you 2 TS meals per night along with the 2 snacks and refillable mug.

sorry the statement was IMO. just as this is yours. Thanks for the definition of the DP+

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!