What did they knock out to build California Adventure?

Was there ever an entrance across from the Anabella hotel?
It's hard for me to remember exactly. I think the entrance was closer to the Alpine Motel, across the street from the Convention Center. I believe that is how we normally drove into the parking lot. There was another on the side across from Paradise Pier and where the buses go now was another entrance to drive into the parking lot. It's funny to look back and remember that staying across the street on Katella felt like a long walk and we would drive into the parking lot. Now, we walk a mile or 2 like it's nothing.

Was there ever an entrance across from the Anabella hotel?

I don't think there was an entrance near that corner. probably the closest would have been a half a block north where the trams used to cross the street between the Disneyland Hotel and the parking lot.

it's a long block, so that is about where the Downtown Disney bridge is now.

Last edited:
I don't think there was an entrance near that corner. probably the closest would have been a half a block north where the trams used to cross the street between the Disneyland Hotel and the parking lot.

it's a long block, so that is about where the Downtown Disney bridge is now.

Hmm, I remember going through a tiny entrance across from the conference center which wasn't that huge back then. Once you went through the secret entrance, you could get on a tram to take you to the esplanade. It was awesome!

Hmm, I remember going through a tiny entrance across from the conference center which wasn't that huge back then. Once you went through the secret entrance, you could get on a tram to take you to the esplanade. It was awesome!

ok, when you asked about across the street from the Anabella Hotel, I thought the question was there another entrance near that corner. the convention entrance was farther east on Katella. after California Adventure was built the walkway actually went through the last part of the original parking lot that was still being used. you would ride a tram that took you to the where the Toy Story lot buses load and unload at the eastern side of the esplanade.

ok, when you asked about across the street from the Anabella Hotel, I thought the question was there another entrance near that corner. the convention entrance was farther east on Katella. after California Adventure was built the walkway actually went through the last part of the original parking lot that was still being used. you would ride a tram that took you to the where the Toy Story lot buses load and unload at the eastern side of the esplanade.

Yes! :) Now with CarsLand, is it gone?

Yes! :) Now with CarsLand, is it gone?

I believe that it is gone, but I haven't walked in that area in years. it is possible that there could still be a convention center entrance used only at certain times since the perimeter road is still there that could be used to transport guests to the east plaza. more likely there would be a shuttle bus that would be used to take guests to the transportation plaza directly from the convention center.

I believe that it is gone, but I haven't walked in that area in years. it is possible that there could still be a convention center entrance used only at certain times since the perimeter road is still there that could be used to transport guests to the east plaza. more likely there would be a shuttle bus that would be used to take guests to the transportation plaza directly from the convention center.

Mhmm. Thanks!

This post reminds me when i was there with an ex boyfriend back in the late 90s, i thought it was so fascinating to park in the surface lot/tram, and see bits & pieces of “stuff” going up for a new park. I took a ton of photos ... since before digital, it meant something to take a lot of pics!! I really shood find those.

I also have a LOT of pics from the skyway in 1992 when we were there during Rodney King riots. Park was deserted and I remember seeing only a handful of ppl while we were there that night. Definitely need to pull those pics ... park will never be that empty again!

I stopped by last week and found that the entrance is still there. someone else will have to say if it is still used for convention center guests, but I did find out that it is used now for Grad Nite. I was in the park and saw Grad Nite guests walking in through the cast member gate at the end of the walkway that is between Bug's Land and Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters. there is a bus stop on Katella not far from the gate so they must be getting dropped off there.

20180514_174653 (1024x768).jpg

closeup of the sign inside the gate.

20180514_174745 (1024x768).jpg

I stopped by last week and found that the entrance is still there. someone else will have to say if it is still used for convention center guests, but I did find out that it is used now for Grad Nite. I was in the park and saw Grad Nite guests walking in through the cast member gate at the end of the walkway that is between Bug's Land and Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters. there is a bus stop on Katella not far from the gate so they must be getting dropped off there.

View attachment 323486

closeup of the sign inside the gate.

View attachment 323487

I knew it! Thanks for confirming this and posting pics. I used this entrance before the Cars land was built. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts