What did I miss???

Thank you....we we spoke about the noises he could expect, i did share that the fireworks can be loud. He doesn't get startled with loud noises...but they do bother him. He loves watching fireworks on the 4th of July each year...but he has to be prepared for the noise. He does best when he knows what to expect. I already told him that since i have been there 100+ times....he can always tell me that he needs a break and I'll sit with him or go back to the resort with him.
If he has a hard time with loud noises first aid has ear plug ( the kind you put in your ears) if you think they will help you might want to buy some before your trip or you can stop by first aid and get them and just keep them with you ( they are wrapped in plastic. )

And OP, I don’t want you to think I’m discouraging you from asking for a DAS - if you feel that due to his disability, he can’t wait in the line, you should absolutely ask for one. I just don’t want you under the false impression that you can say “He has autism”, and a DAS will automatically be granted. So long as you’re prepared to discuss with Guest Services the specific issues related to his disability that make waiting in line difficult for him, you should be fine.

Dad will be emailing his teachers for any work that he might need to do while he out of school.
Have a plan if one, some, or all his teachers don't comply. Most likely they will, but possibly not.
(told him that i will have snacks for us to eat on the bus ride)
Eating on buses prohibited. Eating at the bus stop, or in the lobby, or anywhere else, fine.
Showed him pictures/video of every ride. We discussed which ones he wants to try and which ones he prefers to skip. Told him that if he changes his mind about any ride...that is ok. I have been on them all and will stay with him while the rest of the group rides.
Just remember, if accessing via DAS, he must scan first and he must ride.
His idea....he asked that i create a card that he can keep in his pocket with his dad's cell #, my cell #, my husbands cell # and my son's cell #....just in case he gets lost....so then we talked about how to identify a Cast Member.
That's a great idea! Maybe even make copies for everyone (never know when someone will panic in an emergency.) Also, make some of all the numbers his ICE numbers.

All of which has zero to do with your incorrect claim that he is eligible for a DAS because he has autism.

Oh lord lol. Ok if that makes you feel better, go ahead with that. I said ELIGIBLE, not guaranteed anything. In contrast with those who strictly have mobility issues, which are NOT eligible for DAS. Hope you have a good day!

Oh lord lol. Ok if that makes you feel better, go ahead with that. I said ELIGIBLE, not guaranteed anything. In contrast with those who strictly have mobility issues, which are NOT eligible for DAS. Hope you have a good day!

Words have meaning, including the word “eligible”. Sorry that bothers you.

You have a good day too!

People with mobility problem might be eligible for the DAS just like someone with ASD might be eligible for a DAS you said he is eligible for the DAS becuse of his ASD the fact you put the word “is “ make it sound like he needs to do nothing it say he has ASD and the fact he has ASD is what make him eligible for the DAS when in fact what his problem that make lines difficulty is why he get the DAS. Now the world he might be eligible for the DAS would be much more accurate becuse not everyone with ASD would need a DAS although most would. The OP might know this but someone just reading this thread might now know that the DAS is need based not DX and they will need to exsplain the person need as it has to do with waiting in line

If he has a hard time with loud noises first aid has ear plug ( the kind you put in your ears) if you think they will help you might want to buy some before your trip or you can stop by first aid and get them and just keep them with you ( they are wrapped in plastic. )

Thank you...I already purchased them from amazon...but glad i know for next time

And OP, I don’t want you to think I’m discouraging you from asking for a DAS - if you feel that due to his disability, he can’t wait in the line, you should absolutely ask for one. I just don’t want you under the false impression that you can say “He has autism”, and a DAS will automatically be granted. So long as you’re prepared to discuss with Guest Services the specific issues related to his disability that make waiting in line difficult for him, you should be fine.

Thank you...i have already done extensive research on DAS and I do believe that for my cousin, he will be eligible. Of course there are no guarantees....but he understands that too. Waiting for anything is not his strength. Especially if he has had to wait for long periods of time, multiple times during the day. We are also aware that he needs to ride to use DAS. Which is not a problem....i already reserved FPs for the rides he will not partake in.

Thank you...i have already done extensive research on DAS and I do believe that for my cousin, he will be eligible. Of course there are no guarantees....but he understands that too
Correct. What matters is his needs, not his diagnosis. Honestly, as well prepared as you have him, he may not need a DAS!

I am so excited to have the opportunity to bring my cousin (who is actually younger than my children) to Disney for his first time. He is 10 years old and on the spectrum. This past weekend, i spent the day chatting with him and preparing him for what to expect. Although i would love to really surprise him with all the special things we planned...he really needs to know what to expect to be able to adjust to the crowds and noise levels of Disney World and most importantly enjoy himself. Please review my list and let me know if i forgot anything.

List of items reviewed....
  1. Dad will be emailing his teachers for any work that he might need to do while he out of school. The plan is to have him complete as much as we can on the plane ride down to florida and then a few minutes each morning before we leave for the parks. I advised him that i will be collecting all his assignments and putting them all in one binder organized by subject; so we can limit how many things we need to pack (important so he understands why we aren't bringing his regular books/folders)
  2. Talked through the process of checking in his luggage at the airport...explained how Disney will then deliver the luggage to our room.
  3. Discussed what to expect going through Airport Security. Told him that the TSA agent will most likely ask him how old he is and where he is traveling and that it is ok to tell them....they are asking for safety
  4. Discussed the crazy Southwest Boarding Process...and because Dad has had a recent back surgery the 2 of them will board the plan 1st.
  5. Discussed how Magic Bands work
  6. Shared how we will get from the Gate at MCO to Disney Magical Express...which will take us to Old Key West...where we will quickly check in, leave our Backpacks with the Bell Service and then get on another Bus to Epcot (told him that i will have snacks for us to eat on the bus ride)
  7. Showed him pictures and floor plan of the Villa...and discussed where everyone will sleep
  8. Told him that we will have Amazon Prime Now deliver Breakfast foods to the resort...he told me his favorite things to eat for Breakfast.
  9. Discussed how the Disney Dining Plan works
  10. Once we are in Epcot, we will go to Guest Services to get his DAS Pass. Explained to him how that works.
  11. Explained about Fast Passes...showed him which ones have already been booked
  12. Showed him pictures/video of every ride. We discussed which ones he wants to try and which ones he prefers to skip. Told him that if he changes his mind about any ride...that is ok. I have been on them all and will stay with him while the rest of the group rides.
  13. Reviewed maps of every park
  14. Discussed shows...what to expect regarding lights and special effects. he is excited for Fantasmic but i learned he hates Darla...so Nemo and Friends might be out.
  15. Showed him the menus for the restaurants we plan to eat at.
  16. Discussed that we will be at the parks for Rope drop....but we can and will take breaks in the middle of the day. We can either have some down time at the resort or go in the pool
  17. Talked about wake up times and shower schedules
  18. Talked about the weather to expect and what type of clothes to pack..and the need for 2 pairs of sneakers
  19. Discussed check out process...and checking in luggage at the resort on the last day
  20. Discussed what to expect on the last day....getting back to the airport via Disney's Magical Express
  21. His idea....he asked that i create a card that he can keep in his pocket with his dad's cell #, my cell #, my husbands cell # and my son's cell #....just in case he gets lost....so then we talked about how to identify a Cast Member.
so what did i miss that might be important to discuss? Thanks in advance
one you might want to relook at is the class books. make sure you don't need one to complete an assignment. he could refuse to do other assignments cause he cant do the one that needs a book. also make sure you have in carryons a change of clothes, swim stuff and something to sleep in in case suitcase goes missing

Perhaps make sure he knows he can let you know if he starts to feel overwhelmed? (If he does have that ability to feel it before it becomes too much, many with ASD do not, and that's why they have problems with anxiety - they don't know the feelings of it at the beginning - they may feel that way/have a level of anxiety all the time, etc) I know you said you talked to him about not going on rides, changing his mind, (if it's a ride you use DAS on though, no one can ride if he doesn't, but don't tell him that? That might make him feel bad?) but there are so many other things at WDW that can cause anxiety to build up that he might just need to know he can go back and take a break at any time. Perhaps let him know you'll do a 'stress check' every half hour or so, to ask him how he's feeling.

I took a very dear former student of mine to a theme park for a class event. He was on the spectrum, and we used every tool I taught him to get through the day, and he had the best time! Lots and lots of stress checks. Once we actually found a quiet bench to relax on and we ate ice cream while we talked about stuff. He said that was one of his favorite parts of the trip, LOL! This was at a Six Flags, and he didn't even use their disability pass because we had enough tools to make it through the day, and he had no issues and lots of fun. That was only one day though - not saying you shouldn't ask for a DAS.

one you might want to relook at is the class books. make sure you don't need one to complete an assignment. he could refuse to do other assignments cause he cant do the one that needs a book. also make sure you have in carryons a change of clothes, swim stuff and something to sleep in in case suitcase goes missing

we actually did discuss that i would be photocopying any pages he might need from his text books; so that we do not need to take the book...just what he needs. I am putting together a binder, with looseleaf paper and a folder for each subject and a pencil case that can clip into the binder too. the pencil case will have pens, pencils, crayons and a glue stick. ( i already explained that the scissors will need to be packed in the the checked luggage) We also have backup clothes too

From the TSA website... Kids' scissors should be fine.

Scissors
Carry On Bags:
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags:
Yes
If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Oh, a couple of things I just thought of... If he is interested, pin-trading might be a wonderful thing for him. :) Kids can laser-focus on those CM lanyards from 300 yards away ;) Plus, the Resorts all have pin trading boards, and Disney Springs has one as well.

If you all decide to ride the boats to/from Disney Springs, you may want to show him pictures of the Sassagoula fleet, and let him know that the boat is open-air, and the boats always honk their horns at one another! Lots of people love to ride the boats, and we always wave at the other families as they float by :)

Oh - and just so he is prepared - you might also let him know about how mobility device users will load the buses *first* (after everyone has gotten off at that stop) and then they get off the bus *last*, so that he knows that he has to wait for other Guests who have mobility devices to get on (or off) the bus. He may be so interested in the process (the bus "kneels", then it beeps loudly, and barfs out a ramp that the Guest then uses to drive into/out of the bus) that he doesn't even think about the delay. :) If he rides the monorail, or any of the boats, he might get to see the portable ramps put down that people can use to drive on and off the boat as well.

And ask every Transportation CM if they have any trading cards... ;)

From the TSA website... Kids' scissors should be fine.

Scissors
Carry On Bags:
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags:
Yes
If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

A quick tip for taking scissors in carry-on...

My sister does this all the time for crafts she brings. We have learned through the years that security sometimes gets weirded out if the scissors have pointy ends, so she now brings the short kids scissors with the rounded/blunt safety ends, and has never run into an issue at security with those - they may look at them, but as soon as they see they are the right short length with a rounded end they are fine. Pointy ends, even if short, tend to get a supervisor called over to decide that they are actually ok. Fiskars makes some nice ones, which are also inexpensive if they do get confiscated.

SW

I don’t have anything to add but wanted to let you know ; what a wonderful person you are for taking him to disney! Enjoy your trip!!! He sounds like he will be in good hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter