What did I miss???

Dannielle

Mouseketeer
I am so excited to have the opportunity to bring my cousin (who is actually younger than my children) to Disney for his first time. He is 10 years old and on the spectrum. This past weekend, i spent the day chatting with him and preparing him for what to expect. Although i would love to really surprise him with all the special things we planned...he really needs to know what to expect to be able to adjust to the crowds and noise levels of Disney World and most importantly enjoy himself. Please review my list and let me know if i forgot anything.

List of items reviewed....
  1. Dad will be emailing his teachers for any work that he might need to do while he out of school. The plan is to have him complete as much as we can on the plane ride down to florida and then a few minutes each morning before we leave for the parks. I advised him that i will be collecting all his assignments and putting them all in one binder organized by subject; so we can limit how many things we need to pack (important so he understands why we aren't bringing his regular books/folders)
  2. Talked through the process of checking in his luggage at the airport...explained how Disney will then deliver the luggage to our room.
  3. Discussed what to expect going through Airport Security. Told him that the TSA agent will most likely ask him how old he is and where he is traveling and that it is ok to tell them....they are asking for safety
  4. Discussed the crazy Southwest Boarding Process...and because Dad has had a recent back surgery the 2 of them will board the plan 1st.
  5. Discussed how Magic Bands work
  6. Shared how we will get from the Gate at MCO to Disney Magical Express...which will take us to Old Key West...where we will quickly check in, leave our Backpacks with the Bell Service and then get on another Bus to Epcot (told him that i will have snacks for us to eat on the bus ride)
  7. Showed him pictures and floor plan of the Villa...and discussed where everyone will sleep
  8. Told him that we will have Amazon Prime Now deliver Breakfast foods to the resort...he told me his favorite things to eat for Breakfast.
  9. Discussed how the Disney Dining Plan works
  10. Once we are in Epcot, we will go to Guest Services to get his DAS Pass. Explained to him how that works.
  11. Explained about Fast Passes...showed him which ones have already been booked
  12. Showed him pictures/video of every ride. We discussed which ones he wants to try and which ones he prefers to skip. Told him that if he changes his mind about any ride...that is ok. I have been on them all and will stay with him while the rest of the group rides.
  13. Reviewed maps of every park
  14. Discussed shows...what to expect regarding lights and special effects. he is excited for Fantasmic but i learned he hates Darla...so Nemo and Friends might be out.
  15. Showed him the menus for the restaurants we plan to eat at.
  16. Discussed that we will be at the parks for Rope drop....but we can and will take breaks in the middle of the day. We can either have some down time at the resort or go in the pool
  17. Talked about wake up times and shower schedules
  18. Talked about the weather to expect and what type of clothes to pack..and the need for 2 pairs of sneakers
  19. Discussed check out process...and checking in luggage at the resort on the last day
  20. Discussed what to expect on the last day....getting back to the airport via Disney's Magical Express
  21. His idea....he asked that i create a card that he can keep in his pocket with his dad's cell #, my cell #, my husbands cell # and my son's cell #....just in case he gets lost....so then we talked about how to identify a Cast Member.
so what did i miss that might be important to discuss? Thanks in advance

wow, what a great list. (it sounds like he likes to know what is going to happen and when)

I would add one thing that might help out a lot if he is the type that if things change he has a problem. and that is some times rides go down ( it might be due to rain and problem with the ride itself or some other type of thing, and if he is worried a ride broke and then is not safe let him know Disney is all about safety and some times a guest might drop something out of the ride because they are careless and this might stop a ride, any way you know him best, but I would let him know rides do go down most of the time it is not that long of a time but some times it can be for Days ( like the river ride in pandora was down 3 days when I was there).

Since he is concered about being lost this is a good idea to have phone number of the people he is with, he might also wantto put on there that he has ASD and some of his needs ( like I have ASD and I can talk but some times in crowdes or peopleI do not know I have a hard time I can not find the people that I came with can you help mefind them he is there numbers) something like this, depending on how tall and how old he looks a CM might not walk up to him but if he can walk up to a CM and just hand them this card then they will be able to help him more ( and I owuld let him know that CM might not call someone but they might see of he can describe you all and then you a radio to alert other CM in the area of what you all look like and see if they can find you this way first) I owuld also tell him there are a lot of kids at disney and a lot of time the parents get lost ( CM always say the parent are lost becuse the kids they are not lost they know where they are) and that Disney is very good at finding lost prents ( and other family menbers) andI would makeup more then one card incase one gets lost or damage.

I am so excited to have the opportunity to bring my cousin (who is actually younger than my children) to Disney for his first time. He is 10 years old and on the spectrum. This past weekend, i spent the day chatting with him and preparing him for what to expect. Although i would love to really surprise him with all the special things we planned...he really needs to know what to expect to be able to adjust to the crowds and noise levels of Disney World and most importantly enjoy himself. Please review my list and let me know if i forgot anything.

List of items reviewed....
  1. Dad will be emailing his teachers for any work that he might need to do while he out of school. The plan is to have him complete as much as we can on the plane ride down to florida and then a few minutes each morning before we leave for the parks. I advised him that i will be collecting all his assignments and putting them all in one binder organized by subject; so we can limit how many things we need to pack (important so he understands why we aren't bringing his regular books/folders)
  2. Talked through the process of checking in his luggage at the airport...explained how Disney will then deliver the luggage to our room.
  3. Discussed what to expect going through Airport Security. Told him that the TSA agent will most likely ask him how old he is and where he is traveling and that it is ok to tell them....they are asking for safety
  4. Discussed the crazy Southwest Boarding Process...and because Dad has had a recent back surgery the 2 of them will board the plan 1st.
  5. Discussed how Magic Bands work
  6. Shared how we will get from the Gate at MCO to Disney Magical Express...which will take us to Old Key West...where we will quickly check in, leave our Backpacks with the Bell Service and then get on another Bus to Epcot (told him that i will have snacks for us to eat on the bus ride)
  7. Showed him pictures and floor plan of the Villa...and discussed where everyone will sleep
  8. Told him that we will have Amazon Prime Now deliver Breakfast foods to the resort...he told me his favorite things to eat for Breakfast.
  9. Discussed how the Disney Dining Plan works
  10. Once we are in Epcot, we will go to Guest Services to get his DAS Pass. Explained to him how that works.
  11. Explained about Fast Passes...showed him which ones have already been booked
  12. Showed him pictures/video of every ride. We discussed which ones he wants to try and which ones he prefers to skip. Told him that if he changes his mind about any ride...that is ok. I have been on them all and will stay with him while the rest of the group rides.
  13. Reviewed maps of every park
  14. Discussed shows...what to expect regarding lights and special effects. he is excited for Fantasmic but i learned he hates Darla...so Nemo and Friends might be out.
  15. Showed him the menus for the restaurants we plan to eat at.
  16. Discussed that we will be at the parks for Rope drop....but we can and will take breaks in the middle of the day. We can either have some down time at the resort or go in the pool
  17. Talked about wake up times and shower schedules
  18. Talked about the weather to expect and what type of clothes to pack..and the need for 2 pairs of sneakers
  19. Discussed check out process...and checking in luggage at the resort on the last day
  20. Discussed what to expect on the last day....getting back to the airport via Disney's Magical Express
  21. His idea....he asked that i create a card that he can keep in his pocket with his dad's cell #, my cell #, my husbands cell # and my son's cell #....just in case he gets lost....so then we talked about how to identify a Cast Member.
so what did i miss that might be important to discuss? Thanks in advance

WOW, you have covered just about everything! What a great cousin you are for doing all of this prep.

Does your cousin fly often and is he used to going through airport security? We still remind our son (13) that he needs to listen to everyone in a uniform at the airport and that he can't joke around while we are there. He used to get frustrated about the lack of consistency regarding taking his shoes off, sometimes he would have to and others he would not. Now that he is over 12, he always has to but you might want to tell your cousin that he will have to take off his jacket but MAY have to also take off his shoes. Also, if he is anything like our son, he might get upset if he is the only one not told to remove his shoes. Our son did not like being singled out, even if it was simply because he was under 12.

Our son (and I am the exact same way, I never wear a watch or bracelets) did not like wearing a MagicBand so on our recent trip I bought us each a MagicKeeper and that solved all our problems! We would each just clip the carabiner to a belt loop or a backpack strap and went on our merry way.

Make sure he knows that he can go to anyone cast member (easy to identify with the costume and name tag) and ask for help.

Other than that, all I can recommend is that you let him lead the day, our son still loves to grab a map and be the one who leads us, even though we all know where we are going.

Though not likely to happen, you might want to have information on hand/available in case something got switched up with your accommodations. It sounds like you've done some great prep work with him so far!

One other thing to help ease his mind getting lost. All he has to do is go up to a cast member. Show him what the disney id tags look like. If he has a magic band on if he's too scared to answer questions that's ok. They will be able to scan the band immediately and pull of a phone number to contact you (and also be able to then call him by name).

One other thing to help ease his mind getting lost. All he has to do is go up to a cast member. Show him what the disney id tags look like. If he has a magic band on if he's too scared to answer questions that's ok. They will be able to scan the band immediately and pull of a phone number to contact you (and also be able to then call him by name).
I do not think they can scan the band to get information from maybe at GR but other then that CM walking around the park can not.

Remember that he is eligible for DAS access as a person with autism. This can be especially helpful if he has trouble in small spaces or long lines where he would have to stand still for extended periods. DAS offers the ability to sign up for a return time at a ride that is outside of his tolerance for waiting, rather than standing in the line. You can only have one DAS ride time set up at a time, so it doesn't take the place of fastpass, but it can really help make the parks more enjoyable for them.

You've got quite a detailed list! Good job! Now that you've gone through all that, I would also prepare him that "sometimes things don't work out as planned" -- that might be a delay at the airport, on the plane, ME, room not ready, Disney transportation, rides down, FP+, restaurant is late seating, bad weather, etc. Sometimes we get our kids so prepared for what to expect, that we forget to prepare them for the unexpected.

Also, if he's interested, I'd let him be "in charge" of something. Maybe that's 1 thing all week, or changes daily. When to take a break, keeping track of what FP is next, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

They will be able to scan the band immediately and pull of a phone number to contact you

No, not necessarily true! Many CMs in the park do not have immediate access to MB readers, and my understanding is that only certain readers have access to that level of profile information. While most "lost parents" are found within the immediate vicinity, if the "lost" situation lasts long enough the child would be taken to the Baby Care Center, where someone would be able to read the band for that info and try to reach parents (I think the centralized location is Baby Care, it might be First Aid or Guest Relations). Also, be aware that CMs are not allowed to touch a child -- check pockets, shirt tags, inside MBs, etc. -- in search of contact info. The child must be able to show the information to a CM, or it needs to be in a spot that is readily visible.

His idea....he asked that i create a card that he can keep in his pocket with his dad's cell #, my cell #, my husbands cell # and my son's cell #....just in case he gets lost....so then we talked about how to identify a Cast Member.

This is great that he is pro-actively thinking of such a solution! It leads me to believe he would be level-headed enough to share such a card if he does get lost. Many of us think we've taught our kids well and they know our contact info; but to a lost child, who may be crying and upset, in a panic or disoriented, recalling that info doesn't come as readily as normal. If he carries a cell phone, be sure it is programmed with contact info for every member of your party -- listed with the familiar name he knows (i.e., "Aunt Susie" rather than "Susan Smith" or knicknames for his cousins if that's what he uses).

Enjoy your vacation!

Remember that he is eligible for DAS access as a person with autism. This can be especially helpful if he has trouble in small spaces or long lines where he would have to stand still for extended periods. DAS offers the ability to sign up for a return time at a ride that is outside of his tolerance for waiting, rather than standing in the line. You can only have one DAS ride time set up at a time, so it doesn't take the place of fastpass, but it can really help make the parks more enjoyable for them.
The DAS is need based not DX based I know people with ASD that do better with waiting in lines then I do. The op will need to talk to GR and the person need in lines

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I did tell him that in Disney Children do not get lost...but sometimes parents do...lol (Former Cast Member, so i do know the drill)

I will had a little blurb to the card he will be carrying and create more than one...maybe consider laminating it too...so it doesn't get ruined if it gets wet.

Thank you for the great ideas

No one is eligible for a DAS based solely on diagnosis. OP needs to be prepared to explain why his disability makes it difficult to wait in the queue.

Thank you ....we do plan on obtaining a DAS pass for him....i already explained how it works and that we will need to take care of this when we arrive at EPCOT on the 1st day

Talk about noise levels and the surprise of "booms" particularly during the stage shows at MK. THose you can hear through the park and can be startling for anyone, let alone someone on the spectrum. Not sure if he wears headphones or has them, but talk about how they may be a good tool sometimes. My kiddo never uses them in any place other than Disney and concerts. Most of the time he doesn't use them but instead uses them as a security blanket. Also prepare for the fireworks crowds. They can be pretty intense.

Most importantly, follow his lead. He may be fine. He may only be able to last a couple of hours before he needs a break. He may be fine for a couple of days and then need a day off. Build in a lot of water/snack breaks. Take his lead on characters. We have some trips where he wants to see all the characters, some where he doesn't want to come within 20 feet of them. We never know what he thinks of them until we are there.

You've got quite a detailed list! Good job! Now that you've gone through all that, I would also prepare him that "sometimes things don't work out as planned" -- that might be a delay at the airport, on the plane, ME, room not ready, Disney transportation, rides down, FP+, restaurant is late seating, bad weather, etc. Sometimes we get our kids so prepared for what to expect, that we forget to prepare them for the unexpected.

Also, if he's interested, I'd let him be "in charge" of something. Maybe that's 1 thing all week, or changes daily. When to take a break, keeping track of what FP is next, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

Good point....Thank you

Oh - and download the Disney Play app if you haven't yet. My 10 year old ASD child loved the Agent P missions in Epcot. Gave him some discreet screen time which calms him as well (and the missions are cute)

Talk about noise levels and the surprise of "booms" particularly during the stage shows at MK. THose you can hear through the park and can be startling for anyone, let alone someone on the spectrum. Not sure if he wears headphones or has them, but talk about how they may be a good tool sometimes. My kiddo never uses them in any place other than Disney and concerts. Most of the time he doesn't use them but instead uses them as a security blanket. Also prepare for the fireworks crowds. They can be pretty intense.

Most importantly, follow his lead. He may be fine. He may only be able to last a couple of hours before he needs a break. He may be fine for a couple of days and then need a day off. Build in a lot of water/snack breaks. Take his lead on characters. We have some trips where he wants to see all the characters, some where he doesn't want to come within 20 feet of them. We never know what he thinks of them until we are there.

Thank you....we we spoke about the noises he could expect, i did share that the fireworks can be loud. He doesn't get startled with loud noises...but they do bother him. He loves watching fireworks on the 4th of July each year...but he has to be prepared for the noise. He does best when he knows what to expect. I already told him that since i have been there 100+ times....he can always tell me that he needs a break and I'll sit with him or go back to the resort with him.

The DAS is need based not DX based I know people with ASD that do better with waiting in lines then I do. The op will need to talk to GR and the person need in lines

No one is eligible for a DAS based solely on diagnosis. OP needs to be prepared to explain why his disability makes it difficult to wait in the queue.

As a mother to a child with a cognitive disability I'm well aware of DAS and how it works. It is highly common for children on the autism spectrum to have comorbidities related to long waits and enclosed/tight spaces. The OP knows better than anyone what this child's specific needs are, and whether DAS will make sense for ensuring he has a good trip.

As a mother to a child with a cognitive disability I'm well aware of DAS and how it works. It is highly common for children on the autism spectrum to have comorbidities related to long waits and enclosed/tight spaces. The OP knows better than anyone what this child's specific needs are, and whether DAS will make sense for ensuring he has a good trip.

All of which has zero to do with your incorrect claim that he is eligible for a DAS because he has autism.

With someone with a cognitive disability I too know this as someone that works with someone with ASD and someone with family member with ASD and knowing a good number of people with ASD I know not all people with ASD need a DAS. You where the one that said he would get one becuse he Hs ASD I said it is need based not DX based as some people with ASD do not need the DAS and for you to say becuse if ASD Is not right what happens if the CM is doing there job and ask for the needs then finds out there is no need for the DAS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter