What days are MM and what is difference with this & early hotel entry?

babyatlas

Mouseketeer
I am confused and I am certain most people can answer this but...

Is magic morning something you purchase with a 3 day or more park ticket? is it only valid on certain days?
AND
Do you still get to enter the parks early if you stay at a DL resort? Is this hotel early entry valid every day?
AND
If you are already staying at a DL resort is there any reason at all to get or use a magic morning?
AND....
THANK YOU!

Is magic morning something you purchase with a 3 day or more park ticket? is it only valid on certain days?
Magic Morning (MM) isn't something you purchase, but rather, it's included with certain tickets (general, pre-purchased 3-day or more tickets). Yes, MM only occur in DL on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (generally). You only get one MM per ticket, so even there are multiple days with MM during your trip, you have to pick one.

Do you still get to enter the parks early if you stay at a DL resort? Is this hotel early entry valid every day?
Guests that stay at Paradise Pier Hotel, the Disneyland Hotel, or the Grand Californian are eligible for Extra Magic Hours (EMH). EMH is (generally) in DCA on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. EMH is (generally) on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at DL. So, DL's EMH and MM days are the same. You are eligible to enjoy EMH on every day of your stay at the onsite hotel.

If you are already staying at a DL resort is there any reason at all to get or use a magic morning?
No, not really. At DL, EMH and MM are the same, so there is really no difference.

Sorry to hijack but I find this confusing too. Since we are staying at DLH, the MM is essentially meaningless since we will have EMH? Thanks.

Sorry to hijack but I find this confusing too. Since we are staying at DLH, the MM is essentially meaningless since we will have EMH? Thanks.

That's correct. You get that early hour every day! Make sure you take full advantage of that extra hour. You can get so much done in a much quieter park. It's a great perk that you get when staying on site.

I think the distinction is:
  • Extra Magic Hour (EMH at DL or DCA) is for guests who stay in one of the three Disney hotels and is available every day of your stay.
  • Magic Morning (MM at DL only) is for guests who have a 3-or-more day ticket but are staying off-site, and it's only good one time per ticket.
    • MM doesn't occur at DCA - there's no way for an off-site guest to get into DCA one hour early.

From the Disneyland website:

Magic Morning at Disneyland Park
With Magic Morning, an early admission option, Disneyland Resort Guests (with valid 3+ day ticket) enjoy one early admission (during the duration of theme park ticket or Southern California CityPASS) to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland park for one full hour before the parks open to the general public on select days.

Magic Morning at Disneyland Park is only available for Guests who:

What Is Extra Magic Hour?
With Extra Magic Hour, an early admission option, registered Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests enjoy—during every day of hotel stay—admission to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park for one full hour before the parks open to the general public on select days.

Schedule for Extra Magic Hour
The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days:

It's not that it's meaningless, you just get something even better. But it's free, so it's not like you're paying for something you can't use.

Getting the EMH to DCA is the biggest perk of staying on site at one of the 3 hotels so take advantage of that for sure.

@707MickeyGirl

That is super helpful! I was thinking we could only do one early morning, but that's great if we can do all three!

I also had to buy a 4 day package even though we're only going to be there for 3 days. Sad, one whole day being wasted :/

@707MickeyGirl

That is super helpful! I was thinking we could only do one early morning, but that's great if we can do all three!

I also had to buy a 4 day package even though we're only going to be there for 3 days. Sad, one whole day being wasted :/
You should be able to get 3 day tickets even if you're staying 4 nights. There's no reason to pay for an extra park day if you're not going to be able to use it.

You should be able to get 3 day tickets even if you're staying 4 nights. There's no reason to pay for an extra park day if you're not going to be able to use it.

Totally tried, on two different computers too, because it lets you choose 3 day hopper tickets, but your cart says 4. I figured it was an aspect of the package and let it go.

Sorry, I've been confused too. So let me see if I have this right. We are going to the parks Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We're staying at DLH. So we have emh at DL on Tuesday and Thursday and emh on Wednesday at DCA? But to get the lowest crowd at DL, we could use our MM on Wednesday since that is not an emh day????

Sorry, I've been confused too. So let me see if I have this right. We are going to the parks Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We're staying at DLH. So we have emh at DL on Tuesday and Thursday and emh on Wednesday at DCA? But to get the lowest crowd at DL, we could use our MM on Wednesday since that is not an emh day????
No, EMH and MM for DL are the same days: typically Tu/Th/Sat. Wed would be EMH for DCA.

ETA: there are rare times like around Christmas when they might offer EMH to both parks simultaneously. That would be the time when you can do EMH into DL on a non MM day.

It was even more confusing when they had the AP EE (annual pass early entry) offer where they let the AP's into DCA early on the non EMH days. They're not currently offering this.

There's also this Superthread which explains things http://www.disboards.com/threads/early-admission-mm-emh-apee-super-thread.1675403/

Last edited:
As Cats2 said, EMH and MM are on the same days; only one park opens early each day. You are correct that Tuesday and Thursday will be Disneyland, but you'll have to go to DCA on Wednesday morning if you want to take advantage of the extra hour. The nice thing is that MM can ONLY be used at Disneyland, so the crowds should be lower at DCA since it will ONLY be hotel guests.

I just purchased my 4-day hopper tickets so would like to do MM one morning (we are off-site) - how much busier are the parks on EMH morning days? My normal strategy at WDW is to avoid the parks with EMH - this is my 1st Disneyland trip. Would a good strategy be to do the hour at DL then hop over to DCA? My plan is to do two days at each park, my hopping in the AM to DCA concern is cars land. Anyone have a good strategy?

Use the MM you have, you will be glad you did. Then try to avoid the park with EMH on the other mornings if possible. Obviously if you are doing 2 days at each park that isn't entirely possible. If I was going Tuesday to Friday I would do MM at Disneyland on Tuesday, go to DCA on Wednesday morning (even though it's EMH), then do Thursday morning at DCA too and end with Friday morning at Disneyland (those two days will not have EMH guests).

Totally tried, on two different computers too, because it lets you choose 3 day hopper tickets, but your cart says 4. I figured it was an aspect of the package and let it go.

I wish we could have helped you before you booked.

Did you book directly through Disney?

Agree with using MM for DL on Tuesdays - we've had horrible luck using them on Thursdays - its been mobbed (tried this in late Feb one year nd late March another year).

We've also had good luck doing a regular rope drop at DL on a MM/EE day - we just hit the left side of the park which doesn't open until regular ope drop anyway -then we cross over to DCA if DL gets busy. So Thurs could start at DL rope drop - just do the left side - avoid Fantasyland and Tomorrowland which will still be busy w/ MM/EE-ers plus the usual rush of rope droppers who head there as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter