What changes have you made since the announcement of EEMH at DHS?

Mambo Junkie

DIS Veteran
I'll start by saying I'm one of the people who was disappointed by the surprise opening of SWGE in September. My DH, on the other hand, was thrilled. Now, with the announcement of the EEMH, I've made changes to my plans. I've added days to my onsite stay, and I've dropped all my ADRs except those at DHS, or the ones for our non park days. I did cancel my 8:00 am "PPO" ADR for H&V, however. I do plan to go to other parks, but I want to ensure that DH gets to walk through SWGE, so that's now my priority. I may even change to hoppers, because I figure I will leave DHS around noon, and want to plan for the possibility of not being able to get back in, so I don't want to waste a whole days' ticket. I know I have to wait and see what actually occurs in September, but it really only gives me about 2.5 weeks to figure it out.
We plan to drive. Would you Uber, Lyft? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

My changes are to get going earlier, take afternoon rest breaks and be patient.

It's definitely changed things, but I knew it would change and will again after the land opens and we get reports back of what is happening. I had to cancel a couple of "PPO" breakfasts, as I won't be able to enjoy the meal if I know the park is open during it! Also, I moved stuff around and found two mornings where I can go 6-9 am if I choose to. Next step is making my FP+ on opening day! LOL I figure they will need to be changed after things start to settle, but I will make them anyway. The planning is half the fun!

I added two days when they announced the opening of GE. Oct 6-13 - I was planing on getting to HS early before RD anyway this just means I'll have to find time to take naps if I want to enjoy any night time events. On Tuesday I was planing on doing HS in morning the Halloween party but now I'm wondering if I should skip HS on that day and rest. But I expect more changes and to finalize my plans once I hear from everyone going in September.

The only thing I have changed at this point is to cancel my PPO ADRs. We will take advantage of the EEMH but I hadn’t firmly planned which days we were in which park yet aside for MK so it will just impact my future plans.

We added WDW days onto what was going to be a Universal only vacation. My hubs CANNOT sleep past 5 a.m. so we're always up anyway & being local passholders there's no other way we can get in SWGE for who knows how long, so now we're doing a UOR/WDW split. Sooooo excited :flower:

We are planning to cancel our PPO ADR as well as reconfigure some other ADRs. As the planner of our trip I am voting for EMHs then naps and evening shows...that is until the family cries mutiny!

We canceled PPO ADRS and reserved a cabana on the Saturday when crowds are expected to be at their worst. This evening I started looking at dates in early June and mid to late August prior to GE opening. I am really not sure I want to deal with the crowds.

What is PPO?

I cancelled a MK 8am breakfast ...will do early entry and reserved a late Chrystal Palace breakfast at 1050 instead.

I changed a late lunch at 50's Prime time (1pm) to an early lunch 1050...since we'll try to do the early magic hours at HS.

In the past we had avoided early entry day parks, but now they are all early entry days , so that strategy won't work now.

We only planned on going to universal for horror nights, but may skip that now with all these early openings. I don't wanna be out till one or two and then up for a 7 am opening at AK and then 6 am opening at DHS the next day. We are only in our 30's though, we can do it right? Lol. We weren't sure we would check out GE, but with the 6 Am opening and our lunch ressie being very late, I'm thinking we'll have plenty of time. I expect to be out of bed by at least 4 for GE. Maybe earlier depending on what I read here the few weeks before we go.

I quit my job and got a divorce when I heard.

:laughing: OK not quite, but I will set my alarm for a really obscenely early hour on 9/4. My plan is to pretend I'm fit enough to run the darkside marathon but opt for the boat over from BCV. I'll have to make my own coffee (on vacation!) as I don't think the resort marketplaces will be ready at 4am. (I think they open at 6 but not sure.)

What is PPO?

I cancelled a MK 8am breakfast ...will do early entry and reserved a late Chrystal Palace breakfast at 1050 instead.

I changed a late lunch at 50's Prime time (1pm) to an early lunch 1050...since we'll try to do the early magic hours at HS.

In the past we had avoided early entry day parks, but now they are all early entry days , so that strategy won't work now.
PPO is pre-park opening, like your 8 am MK breakfast.

I actually did something totally out of character for me. I rescheduled my trip from mid-September to mid-August, hoping to avoid the opening altogether. Normally I would not consider changing my vacation dates under any circumstances.

I have nothing against Star Wars. I would call myself a casual fan. I had figured I would just avoid DHS on my September trip and it would be business as usual at the other three. But when they announced the EMH changes at three parks, and knowing Epcot would be busy with F&W, it was quickly adding up to Christmas week on steroids. Although I had a few hoops to jump through to make the switch, I think it’s the right choice for us. Fortunately the trip cost itself didn’t change, so we kept the same resort, and actually the risk of hurricanes is less in August than September (and otherwise, the weather is nearly identical).

It may be that it’s all for nothing and September isn’t a sardine can. I don’t think there is any way to know for sure until California opens and we see the impact at DL. I hope it works out well for all of you planning to be some of the first to visit. But I am a lot less stressed knowing I won’t be dealing with it for quite a while.

The only change I’ve made was deciding to get up very early on one of our DHS days. We’ll plan to go back to the resort for a nap and then head back over for dinner. We really never take breaks.

We are thinking of switching our end of Aug trip (right before opening) to end of Sept! My husband works very early so is always up by 5am anyway and I figure we can get up early and take mid day naps! I'm wondering how many families will actually be willing to get up and get to the parks that early in the morning!

I quit my job and got a divorce when I heard.

:laughing: OK not quite, but I will set my alarm for a really obscenely early hour on 9/4. My plan is to pretend I'm fit enough to run the darkside marathon but opt for the boat over from BCV. I'll have to make my own coffee (on vacation!) as I don't think the resort marketplaces will be ready at 4am. (I think they open at 6 but not sure.)
Lol

The announcement of EEMH has made me rethink skipping DHS until 2020. We'll be going in October and I love Star Wars so it wasn't an easy decision but now with the extra hours DHS in 2019 just may be in the cards.

I need to cancel our PPOs. I also had to shift a few of our days around. I rescheduled some ADRs. I moved our MNSSHP to before the trip (haven't bought the tickets yet, thankfully). Originally, I had planned to do MNSSHP followed by HS. There's no way that would work now. Since all of our days are going to be so early, the new plan is, early arrival, naps, back for dinner and shows or a few ride. I gotta get my beauty sleep, so on our 4am wake-up days, we're gonna have to be back to the room by a decent hour the night before. This is gonna be brutal, honestly. I am not a morning person, but we will be doing the Extra Extra hours, by golly. This has been the hardest trip to plan-and i love the planning. We are not doing the dining plan (for the first time) this trip, and i am thankful for that (one less thing to stress over). There were only a few places the kids really wanted to eat, so we're going to be a bit more spontaneous than we normally are when it comes to dining.

We have ADR’s at AK, MK and HS at 8:00 each one. When they came out with the new hours we nabbed ADR’s at all three parks for around 9:30am in addition to our original ones. As we get closer and finalize our plans we will cancel one of them. That way we can see what fast passes we get and decide how early we want to arrive.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter