What cars are full size at National?

DisneyHumbug

DIS Veteran
I have a full size, Emerald Aisle reserved. I'm not familiar with the different cars offered, and usually just take the first car I see and I end up with an intermediate. This time, I'd like to get a full size. So what type of car would that be?

On the National website the full-size car is listed as Buick Regal or similar. I'd be interested to know what other types of cars have been showing up in Emerald Aisle lately. I also have a full-size car reserved with Emerald Aisle service. I'm hoping for a convertible!

NanaDarling - yes, that's just the problem! The website says "or something similiar" - what is similiar??? I drive a VW Bug and a Suburban - I'm clueless as to "regular" cars!!

Full size cars we have seen from National have included a Buick Century, Chevy Malibu, and Dodge Intrepid.

In addition to those mentioned by previous posters, Toyota Camry, Pontiac Grand Prix, and Mitsubishi Gallant are also considered full size at National. There's also an Oldsmobile the same size as the Grand Prix either the Alero or the Intrigue; one is the same size as the Pontiac Grand Am (an intermediate for National) and the other is the full size.

Ralph

If you want a true full size, bear in mind some of the cars National and other companies consider to be 'full size' really aren't all that full sized if you ask me. The Dodge Intrepid, Olds Intrique, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal/Century and Chevy Impala are all full size cars as far as I am concerned. While National (and other rental companies) may define Chevy Malibu's and Gallants as full size, I don't think that they really are. Malibu's are build on the same platform as the Pontiac Grand Am and Olds Alero and are really only slightly larger. I always go for the Intrepid when I see them on the aisle, if nothing else, 'nicer' is available. They are probably about the biggest full size car you can find and the trunk is positively cavernous.

I agree with the sgt. We always avoid the Malibu as it is too small for us.

In addition to the cars I mentioned above, we have also gotten the Intrigue. We prefer the Intrepid if there is one as the trunk is huge.

Is it possible to upgrade when you get to the counter or actually see the car? I got a deal on an intermediate size but now I'm afraid it might not be big enough....I don't want to have to shell out big $$$$ if the car is too small!

If you booked using the emerald club, typically the full size and intermediate are the same price. I always book the full size because I know I will be at least quaranteed that size.. Maybe you can check your dates again with a full size and see if they are quoting you the same price? I suppose you could return to the counter if you went to the emerald aisle and didn't see a large enough car... However, when you request an upgrade at the counter, you are typically at their mercy and since they know you 'need' a larger car they tend to try to charge you more for it.. This is all assuming you are using Emerald Aisle, Mom2of2..

Then if you aren't using Emerald Aisle, depending on which company you are using, they will either assign a car for you when you check in or assign a class of car for you and tell you to pick one out of that section.. If they assign a specific car, you can always ask if there is anything else available in that class, i.e., do you have a Malibu as opposed to a Grand Am... That kind of thing. If they don't and you have to get a bigger car you are kind of at their will. You can negotiate with them, the prices typically aren't fixed. I have found it is always cheaper to get the larger car reserved, upfront, if you think you will need it than to wing it at the counter. But this is just my experience.

HI,
Just back. Just and FYI, the Galant, according to a National employee, is considered an intermediate. There were literally a TON of Galants on the aisle. No converts, no SUV's, no mini vans.
Mainly Galants, Grand Ams and similar. We took an Intrepid from the Full size area. Nice car, btw. Mostly Intrepids , Malibus, one Grand Prix, one Camry, and a few Buick lower end sedans. In reality, the aisle was pretty slim pickings. Possibly because there were many planes landing at the same time and it was about 6 pm on a Sat. For the rate I had, I was very satisfied.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
HI,
Just back. Just and FYI, the Galant, according to a National employee, is considered an intermediate.

Welcome back Gail! I hope you had a good time.. I thought the Gallants were midsize, but I wasn't sure. At least I would consider them to be mid-sized, but you never know what these rental companies define cars as. :rolleyes: We always pick the Intrepid when we have a choice. Since it seems to be so much bigger than the GM "Full Size" car I always feel like I am getting more for my money..

We always pick the Intrepid when we have a choice. Since it seems to be so much bigger than the GM "Full Size" car I always feel like I am getting more for my money..

I think the Impala and the Buick's trunk are larger, but, for us the Intrepid worked well. It is a very very nice car.

Thanks for the welcome back. I have to tell you, this 40+ degree drop is killing me. LOL.

I think the Impala and the Buick's trunk are larger, but, for us the Intrepid worked well. It is a very very nice car.
]

I don't know much about the Impala, as I have never rented one, but I promise you the Regal/Century from Buick have a small trunk compared to the Intrepid. I think the LaSabres have huge trunks though.. We rented a Buick Regal one year and had to fill 1/2 the car with the luggage and groceries going from FLL to MCO.. (we were tavelling with baby and all his assorted things on a 2 week plus trip) Following year we got an Intrepid, all the stuff actually fit in the trunk save for one carry on bag. It actually surprised me.

Thanks for the welcome back. I have to tell you, this 40+ degree drop is killing me. LOL.

I know how that is!!! When we came back from FLL last month it was 72 there and -10 here! What a shock to the system. Keep warm! :)

Hi,
We rented a Buick Regal, and I really thought the trunk was larger, but, I was wrong.
Since I am really bored, I went out to the different sites and this is what I found.

Intrepid - 18.4 cf
Impala - 18.6 cf
Regal - 16.7

Hi,
We rented a Buick Regal, and I really thought the trunk was larger, but, I was wrong.
Since I am really bored, I went out to the different sites and this is what I found.

Intrepid - 18.4 cf
Impala - 18.6 cf
Regal - 16.7

LOL!!! Gail, you and I must be on the same wavelength today! I was just at the Dodge and Buick websites because you got me thinking.... I was going to post the same information. HAHA... We both must be bored today. ;) I will add that the LeSabre has 18.0 cf but the Park Avenue has 19.1. It probably also depends on the shape of the luggage too. The Century and Regal are basically the same car, same dimensions same shape, everything, just different grilles, tailights and trim levels.

I work in an auto related industry so this stuff always interests me..

LOL, well it is nice to see that I am not the only one!!!! The other cars you mentioned, unfortunately, are not classified as full sized but either premium or luxury, so I did not post the trunk size.
Our luggage is duffel bag type with wheels, except for the tennis bag which is duffel type but wicked huge and no wheels ( you have to be very very strong to carry it, lol). We don't travel with children ( unless you count Dee) so we don't have to stow all the "stuff".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter