What became of the Osborne Lights ?

Ron from Michigan

DIS Veteran
So I'm wondering what became of the Osborne Lights since they no longer use them. Did they sell them, give them away or are they still in storage.

Although there's a suspiciously similar display currently running at Silver Dollar City in Branson Missouri (ftr, I'm sure they're not literally the same lights)...

disney-osborne-dancing-lights-2014-by-kent-otto-1024x768.jpg

Officially, Silver Dollar City claims there's no connection.

"No, we have not acquired the Osborne Lights. We travel all over the world looking for inspiration for the things we do at all of our properties... but no direct inspiration came from the Osborne Lights at Disney." Lisa Rau, Director of Publicity at Silver Dollar City Attractions/Herschend Family Entertainment Corp.

Uh, huh. Tell me another one! :rolleyes2 "No direct inspiration," my tuckus!

(Though now I really do want to get out to Branson for Christmas, someday. If the Osborne Lights - or whatever they want to call them - won't come to me, I'll just have to go to them!)

Although there's a suspiciously similar display currently running at Silver Dollar City in Branson Missouri (ftr, I'm sure they're not literally the same lights)...

"No, we have not acquired the Osborne Lights. We travel all over the world looking for inspiration for the things we do at all of our properties... but no direct inspiration came from the Osborne Lights at Disney." Lisa Rau, Director of Publicity at Silver Dollar City Attractions/Herschend Family Entertainment Corp.

(Though now I really do want to get out to Branson for Christmas, someday. If the Osborne Lights - or whatever they want to call them - won't come to me, I'll just have to go to them!)

Of course there is no "direct" inspiration:rolleyes: I only have an almost exact copy of this photo, but taken myself at DHS in 2015...

Wow they must of made there own copy of the Osborne lights. It seems it would of been cheaper to just acquire the original.:santa:

I wipe my tears away every time I think about the now gone Osbourne Lights. I was lucky enough to experience them 3x in person.

As for what became of them... I believe that I read that the runs of lights were cut into segments and were handed out to any cast members that wanted them. If I'm wrong or mis-remembering, please feel free to correct me.

I'd have been willing to clean the utilidors with my tooth brush and then brush my teeth with same tooth brush, just to have been a cast member that day and have a chance to bring a piece home.

This is awesome! Our niece just moved to Kansas, and we've been looking for a good time to go visit. Looks like we just found it!! We only got to see the lights once before they ended it, so this is great. Thanks!!!!!

I wipe my tears away every time I think about the now gone Osbourne Lights. I was lucky enough to experience them 3x in person.

As for what became of them... I believe that I read that the runs of lights were cut into segments and were handed out to any cast members that wanted them. If I'm wrong or mis-remembering, please feel free to correct me.

I'd have been willing to clean the utilidors with my tooth brush and then brush my teeth with same tooth brush, just to have been a cast member that day and have a chance to bring a piece home.
The lights were given back to the family, Breezy Osborne confirmed that through her twitter the last day of the Osborne lights, the entire Osborne family was there at DHS.
Maybe the Disney not Osborne lights were chopped up but I am not sure, never heard of that

Rumor has it they're on display at the Beastly Kingdom - but are turned off briefly so as not to compete with the Main Street Electrical Parade that runs nightly before the Wishes fireworks (with best viewing, of course, out on the water from the swan boats and explorer canoes). Really though - you could open an incredible park with all of the defunct or proposed attractions from years gone by.

Good question, though - I've wondered what happened to all those lights. I was sure they'd pop up somewhere else - which, based on the photos above, they sort of have. Sorely missed at DHS.

This is so funny. After visiting Branson about 10 years ago, I've ever since called it the Redneck Disney World. Maybe it's true? :)

Dan

Why did they get rid of the Osborne Lights, if they were so beloved by guests?

I'm sorry I never had the chance to experience them. I've heard such wonderful things.

So sad they are gone! We experienced them twice and they were wonderful. So festive and I loved that it wasn't a show or something to line up for. Just a walk through at your own pace and spend as much or as little time as you want. Missed them so much last year!

I will be at Silver Dollar City this Sunday, so I'll look for the purple cat :). My family thinks their lights look like the Osborne lights. My oldest daughter has a few connections at SDC that told her last year that they had acquired the Osborne lights, but I've never seen anything official and SDC denies it. SDC has always been known to have incredible lights all over their park as well as a GIANT tree that lights up to music, but the addition to their usual display this year, is spot on Osborne inspired. I can't wait to feel like I'm back at HS, even if it is only in my mind :love:

Some pieces were sold at Cast Connections (I think that's the name of the store where employees can buy props) I saw a Facebook friend was able to buy some pieces from the Osborne Lights display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter