What bag do you carry?

This thread is great! I love the idea of no bag but I don’t think that will be realistic for me. I thought I read somewhere that fanny packs were coming back? Maybe I just dreamt it?

I always just carry my usual purse. For days when I need a sweater (most) I often have my larger one. Otherwise I use a nice small shoulder bag (Kate Spade).

I don't bring bottles of water with me; ice water is readily available and free anywhere that there are fountain drinks.

A few years ago our youngest stopped using a stroller. Even though she was old enough not to need it full time, after a long day in the park, she needed a break now and then. By and large, we don't miss pushing it around any more, although there is one exception. The one thing we miss is the under stroller storage system that eliminated the need to carry a bag.

The last couple of times we have gone, we have tried various options. I have a small messenger bag that I like and a Patagonia atom sling.... but have found neither are best for me for WDW. They look a little dorky, but I have found lumbar packs to be ideal. My current one is a mountainsmith drift. It hold enough stuff for the day and can even hold two large camelbak insulated bottles. I can carry it all day with little effort and often times forget it is there.

The reason I like a lumbar bag more than anything else, is it keeps the bag off your back. Which if you are going when it is warm.... and most times of the year in Florida, that is the case, it helps prevent your back from getting wet from sweat. A very small messenger bags are my next favorite, because they can be carried lower on your waist vs on the back.

But the most important consideration is how much you are carrying and balancing comfort vs ability to carry it all day.

I currently use a fanny pack. I tried backpacks, crossbodies, etc. They all hurt my back after a while. Fanny pack doesn't hurt and since I can get free water from QS I don't need a place for a water bottle.

I also take a sling bag, much like the Patagonia one mentioned by a pp. It's from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Nice and lightweight, with a separate cell phone pouch right on the strap. But the best thing about it is that you can flip it right around so the strap is on your back and the bag is in front - and accessible - without having to take it off. And it comes in a right or left hand version.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5032-791/Right-Hand-Pod-Sling-Pack

like you, we have a hard time not taking a backpack. My wife is my pack camel:). and I feel bad that I have such a bad back to not shoulder the bag as often as her. I found an extremely lightweight Nike backpack that folds up to where it would fit in an standard envelope... probably like 1 oz. It has small pocket for medicines, chap stick, battery charger, and big pocket for water bottle and ponchos and such... expands to be nearly as big as a reg. backpack. Slightly worried that what we stuffed in there will start stressing on the shoulder straps but we'll see next week. I know our regular backpack we always use is too heavy, too hot to carry around, and this smaller one forces us to take less.

We'll be there next week (yay!) so it will be super hot and humid. I was originally thinking of carrying a full size North Face backpack, but I'm thinking it will be too hot for that. We are thinking of having one small camelbak backpack (with water bladder) that DH will carry and I will carry some sort of crossbody purse or messenger bag. Things we will have on us - phones (although DH's will be in his pocket), extra sunscreen, ponchos, charging bank for our phones. I also will have cooling towels and mister fans. I guess I can bring plastic bags instead of the plastic case for the towels. Not sure I want to lug them around all day, but when you want them you want them.

How likely are we to want lightweight sweaters in restaurants or long air conditioned shows? My DDs get chilly especially when they drink a lot of ice water.

A small backpack that can store the things I have (usually a camera, a fuel rod, and my wallet) but still lay flat against my back so I don't have to take it off for most rides.

I have used a small black backpack from Target (9 bucks) for trips all over the world. I have neck and back pain if I carry something heavy for the day, so this small bag is just right.

I HATE carrying a bag at WDW or anywhere else--my purse is a wristlet. However, since my eyesight has gotten worse, I need my prescription sunglasses and my glasses, so I carry a small VB mini-hipster. I take my glasses and case (or sunglasses, whichever I'm not wearing), a small case with ibuprofen, and a small sunscreen stick, my ID, a little bit of cash if the kids haven't taken it all, and my phone. DS17 carries a string backpack with his phone charger, extra battery and whatever else he puts in there. I do carry a water bottle, but not in a bag.
another vote for the mini hipster — i also can get my kindle in there

I purchased a medium sized wristlet. any opinions on wristlets? thinking of changing from my typical crossbody lightweight, not much in it bag to a wristlet because the lightweight crossbody started to bother my shoulder after a week of wearing it all day every day (i just wasn't used to it). so opinions on wristlets that will only have lightweight items? it's a kipling, amazon. one main zipper pocket for phone, essentials.
I once dropped a wristlet at a supermarket and have stayed away from them since

I used to bring a backpack with the whole entire world in it. then i got older and it hurt my back so I began whittling down - finally got to a small bag with multiple pockets. Then went BIG! Rented an ECV with two baskets - but really only carry a sweater for cold restaurants, a poncho for rain, a cross body bag with lots of pockets for lipstick, a comb, some cash and ID plus my DVC ID for discounts. I DO bring water again because I don't have to carry it - but I used to rely on water in the parks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter