What bag do you carry?

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
DH and I were talking last night and while touring the parks bagless would be amazing, I am not sure its realistic. I can't imagine not having bottles of water, sunscreen, lip balm, a light sweater for restaurants, and a small body lotion with me. Plus we will have a couple phone chargers and thin cords. DH generally wears cargo type shorts and I thought about loading him up like a pack mule but that doesn't seem very nice. ;)

What do you find to be the most comfortable and least cumbersome bag to carry in the parks? We will take turns carrying the bag but DH will carry it most of the time.

:thanks:

For a full park day, we always take a backpack, this works best for us. Like you, we need all that stuff if we are there all day plus this time of year, a mini umbrella or poncho is a good idea. We typically just bring in 2 bottles of water max, then refill them in the park as needed. Once you drink the water, the backpack really isn't too heavy. I usually end up carrying ours most of the time because I tend to be in and out of it a lot. Plus I tell DH if I'm carrying it, that's more calories I'm burning as I walk so I can have that margarita! :D Now if it's a partial park day, I'll just carry a cross body purse.

I carry a tiny purse, but have gone bagless before (and love it). As you said, pockets are the key! lol I got some capris with cargo pockets and put what I wanted in there. I too get cold in restaurants, but I also hate carrying anything bigger than a tiny purse, so I just stay cold for that shorter amount of time. Water bottles I carry around with me in hand, but I do buy what they sell there so I pitch it when I want to be without one.

For a full park day, we always take a backpack, this works best for us. Like you, we need all that stuff if we are there all day plus this time of year, a mini umbrella or poncho is a good idea. We typically just bring in 2 bottles of water max, then refill them in the park as needed. Once you drink the water, the backpack really isn't too heavy. I usually end up carrying ours most of the time because I tend to be in and out of it a lot. Plus I tell DH if I'm carrying it, that's more calories I'm burning as I walk so I can have that margarita! :D Now if it's a partial park day, I'll just carry a cross body purse.

Hahaha! Right DH gets so irked when I am in and out of the bag a lot. Its a little game we play. ;) LOL! I usually cary a small purse but would like to not this trip. Good point on being able to refill the waters. We won't need to carry snacks either as we won't have kids with us. We will forgo the umbrella and ponchos too. I do like the idea of idea of burning more calories!!

He's heading to RCI today to see what he can find but I wanted to offer some suggestions on types/brands.

Why not put it in a locker?

Because I don't like having access to what I need when I need it. When we take the kids, we get a locker for changes of clothes etc but with the two of us, we would rather not.

I carry a tiny purse, but have gone bagless before (and love it). As you said, pockets are the key! lol I got some capris with cargo pockets and put what I wanted in there. I too get cold in restaurants, but I also hate carrying anything bigger than a tiny purse, so I just stay cold for that shorter amount of time. Water bottles I carry around with me in hand, but I do buy what they sell there so I pitch it when I want to be without one.

Bagless sounds like a dream! :cloud9:

I am not opposed to buying waters and we will buy a case from the resort store when we arrive but the plan is to drink those in the parks.

I run cool and sweater less would not work for me. :blush:

When I was younger I did carry a pack when I was with others (for rain gear esp.). I have an REI brand technical pack for heavy-duty. The key with those is having a waist strap that takes the weight off your shoulders and applies it to your hips, has back vents, and padded straps. If you are going lightweight, I've carried a simple sports bag with the drawstring rope straps. The only drawback to that is if you carry too much weight in there they can feel like they are cutting your shoulders.

We use a backpack that the DH carries that has bottled water, jacket, ponchos, etc...

I carry a purse type bag that has the chargers, sunglassses (since we are prescription glasses ppl) extra glasses wipes, etc...

I've experimented with many bags over the years! Some favorites are the ebags Piazza day bag (see profile pic!) and baggallini messenger (looks more like a sling). I also have a small Vera Bradley backpack in one of the Disney prints. I recently bought a Travelon anti-theft backpack that has locking zippers. It's not as convenient as some of the others but does have padded straps. I just bought a Kavu Rope Sling but haven't tried using it in the parks.

No matter how light my bag is, my shoulders and neck get annoyed after carrying it for 7+ days so I tend to bring a couple options in my luggage just incase. The baggallini is probably the front runner for me.

Well personally I like crossbody bags because they are hands free and you don't have to take them off for most rides or to get something out of them.
That doesn't exactly help your DH though so I guess I'd suggest something like a smallish nylon (lightweight and water resistant) backpack that has regular straps vs draw string.
I don't have a specific one in mind but just wanted to give you a starting point for the type of bag..

Thanks everyone!

When I was younger I did carry a pack when I was with others (for rain gear esp.). I have an REI brand technical pack for heavy-duty. The key with those is having a waist strap that takes the weight off your shoulders and applies it to your hips, has back vents, and padded straps. If you are going lightweight, I've carried a simple sports bag with the drawstring rope straps. The only drawback to that is if you carry too much weight in there they can feel like they are cutting your shoulders.

The drawstring ones are painfully uncomfortable, I agree! Good point on being able to take the weight off the hips and lower back!

We use a backpack that the DH carries that has bottled water, jacket, ponchos, etc...

I carry a purse type bag that has the chargers, sunglassses (since we are prescription glasses ppl) extra glasses wipes, etc...

That’s what we may end up doing.

I can't imagine having to lug that thing around all day, if anything one of those shoestring backpacks but more that than and I'd sweat the thing off

I know, I know.....

I've experimented with many bags over the years! Some favorites are the ebags Piazza day bag (see profile pic!) and baggallini messenger (looks more like a sling). I also have a small Vera Bradley backpack in one of the Disney prints. I recently bought a Travelon anti-theft backpack that has locking zippers. It's not as convenient as some of the others but does have padded straps. I just bought a Kavu Rope Sling but haven't tried using it in the parks.

No matter how light my bag is, my shoulders and neck get annoyed after carrying it for 7+ days so I tend to bring a couple options in my luggage just incase. The baggallini is probably the front runner for me.

That’s looks like a great bag. Even when I carry a small purse, I wear it crossed over. I’ll look into the baggallini for me.

Well personally I like crossbody bags because they are hands free and you don't have to take them off for most rides or to get something out of them.
That doesn't exactly help your DH though so I guess I'd suggest something like a smallish nylon (lightweight and water resistant) backpack that has regular straps vs draw string.
I don't have a specific one in mind but just wanted to give you a starting point for the type of bag..

He would wear a bag crossed over, whatever is most comfortable. He doesn’t care what people think. Lol!

My favorite bag so far has been the Patagonia Atom sling. I'm able to fit everything I need with plenty of room for small purchases during the day. (My typical bag contents are 2 epinephrine auto injectors...food allergies..., a cheap disposable poncho or two, small zip wallet with AP card, ID, gift card, bit of cash, battery pack and cable for phone charging, glasses and contact case, and a few pins for trading). There are straps on the outside of it that I've used to strap on a light jacket when visiting Disneyland or Disney in the winter. I usually use a Chums water bottle carabiner and just clip it to the bag. I find it comfortable to carry, easy to access by just swinging it around, and can even keep it on for many rides.
https://www.patagonia.com/product/atom-sling-bag-8-liters/190696308747.html

I used a FlipBelt to go “bag less” one trip. It’s snug around the waist, so I’d carry my phone, ID, chapstick, and a $1 poncho in my hands through the bagless line, and then put the stuff in the belt once in the park.
My last trip I carried a lightweight drawstring bag and had a water bottle, phone charger, and a hat too.

My favorite bag so far has been the Patagonia Atom sling. I'm able to fit everything I need with plenty of room for small purchases during the day. (My typical bag contents are 2 epinephrine auto injectors...food allergies..., a cheap disposable poncho or two, small zip wallet with AP card, ID, gift card, bit of cash, battery pack and cable for phone charging, glasses and contact case, and a few pins for trading). There are straps on the outside of it that I've used to strap on a light jacket when visiting Disneyland or Disney in the winter. I usually use a Chums water bottle carabiner and just clip it to the bag. I find it comfortable to carry, easy to access by just swinging it around, and can even keep it on for many rides.
https://www.patagonia.com/product/atom-sling-bag-8-liters/190696308747.html

Thanks! Thats a great bag! And a great price too! :thanks:

I used a FlipBelt to go “bag less” one trip. It’s snug around the waist, so I’d carry my phone, ID, chapstick, and a $1 poncho in my hands through the bagless line, and then put the stuff in the belt once in the park.
My last trip I carried a lightweight drawstring bag and had a water bottle, phone charger, and a hat too.

FlipBelt? Going to Google.

ETA: ok, thats cool! DH is a runner. Brilliant idea. It won't wrk for the parks but I like it.

I do a combination of bag free and small bag. If it’s going to be nice weather, I can get by with cargo shorts/capris and only carry phone in charger case, small wallet, and some individually packaged Wet Ones. I have a couple bags, a Dooney pouchette crossbody and an Overland Equipment Donner crossbody that I bring with me to have bag options. The Donner bag holds my nylon rain poncho, and has two bottled water compartments, one of which I put a compact umbrella in. So it goes with me on rainy days.

I HATE carrying a bag at WDW or anywhere else--my purse is a wristlet. However, since my eyesight has gotten worse, I need my prescription sunglasses and my glasses, so I carry a small VB mini-hipster. I take my glasses and case (or sunglasses, whichever I'm not wearing), a small case with ibuprofen, and a small sunscreen stick, my ID, a little bit of cash if the kids haven't taken it all, and my phone. DS17 carries a string backpack with his phone charger, extra battery and whatever else he puts in there. I do carry a water bottle, but not in a bag.

I have a lesportsac crossbody bag. The bag itself is super light, and it carries the essentials, but it’s also big enough to throw in a bottle of water when I need to be completely hands free.

I purchased a medium sized wristlet. any opinions on wristlets? thinking of changing from my typical crossbody lightweight, not much in it bag to a wristlet because the lightweight crossbody started to bother my shoulder after a week of wearing it all day every day (i just wasn't used to it). so opinions on wristlets that will only have lightweight items? it's a kipling, amazon. one main zipper pocket for phone, essentials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!