What are the restrictions on extended 2018 banked points?

dismedvc

DIS Veteran
Some of my questions have been anecdotally answered in other threads where other issues are also being discussed, so I thought it would be good to summarize those answers and have future replies all in one place, especially since DVC has not made an official announcement. My questions, and what I assume is the current policy from reading other threads are listed below. Please correct or update if you have more current information from conversations with MS or any official DVC notice.

1. When will the extended points be available? (It appears not until a few days after they expire, at which point there will probably be almost no availability before November 30th)
2. Once they are available do you have to call MS to use them? (the answer appears to be yes)
3. Once they are available can they be used for existing reservation that are scheduled before November 30, 2020? (Some have posted they were told no)
4. Can they be deposited into RCI during the extension period? I have an Aug UY so I normally would need to deposit them by June 17th in order for them to be considered deposited more than 45 days before expiration. I had assumed with the extension of those points to Nov 30, I would have until October 17th to deposit them into RCI. However, if they are a special category of points, that might not be the case. I might need to deposit them into RCI by June 17th to avoid restrictions, and might not be allowed to deposit them at all after July 31st. (I have not seen any posts on this possible restriction)

Last edited:
this applies to me, and I will be super upset if they wont let us push the points into a new reservation that was made for Sept! They told me 3x that it could be done to call back June 5th. My points were set to expire may 31st and was told I had until Nov 30th to use them. THey were in use for an April trip that was cancelled due to the closure and when they announce we could have an extension I was hopeful that it meant we really would be able to use them and not lose them! I had 45 points that had been banked into 2019 to use for April 2020. This is unreal times I get it but I was hopeful that things would be worked out and we would be ok.

this applies to me, and I will be super upset if they wont let us push the points into a new reservation that was made for Sept! They told me 3x that it could be done to call back June 5th. My points were set to expire may 31st and was told I had until Nov 30th to use them. THey were in use for an April trip that was cancelled due to the closure and when they announce we could have an extension I was hopeful that it meant we really would be able to use them and not lose them! I had 45 points that had been banked into 2019 to use for April 2020. This is unreal times I get it but I was hopeful that things would be worked out and we would be ok.
Good luck, and please report back.
Since you have a June UY, you will be one of the first members to be able to use your extended 2018 banked points.
What DVC allows you to do with those points will provide actual information on how those points can be used, as opposed to MS told me this.

Here what I have been told...

1. When will the extended points be available? For June UY, such as myself, they will be available between June 5th and June 7th. I will see the points "disappear" from my dashboard count and this will "signal" to me that the points have been banked but I am unable to view them.
2. Once they are available do you have to call MS to use them? You will only be able to call MS to verify that they have been banked properly and to make a new reservation.
3. Once they are available can they be used for existing reservation that are scheduled before November 30, 2020? These points cannot be "reallocated" like other points have been. These have to be used for a new reservation.
4. Can they be deposited into RCI during the extension period? I didn't ask about RCI because I'm dealing with such a limited set of points.

I called three different times to ask about all of this prior to the reopening announcement back in early May. I'm really hoping some of this has changed as I expressed how difficult it will be to book anything for Fall in June. Especially if I'm having to sit on the phone and wait with every other DVC member in the same boat. They told me that they're sure something will be around (and I said, like studios? and they replied, we won't know until you call). I'll probably call in when my points disappear to see what's up.

Good luck, and please report back.
Since you have a June UY, you will be one of the first members to be able to use your extended 2018 banked points.
What DVC allows you to do with those points will provide actual information on how those points can be used, as opposed to MS told me this.
will report back once I get an answer. Can't even get through on the phone, its very stressful

Here what I have been told...

1. When will the extended points be available? For June UY, such as myself, they will be available between June 5th and June 7th. I will see the points "disappear" from my dashboard count and this will "signal" to me that the points have been banked but I am unable to view them.
2. Once they are available do you have to call MS to use them? You will only be able to call MS to verify that they have been banked properly and to make a new reservation.
3. Once they are available can they be used for existing reservation that are scheduled before November 30, 2020? These points cannot be "reallocated" like other points have been. These have to be used for a new reservation.
4. Can they be deposited into RCI during the extension period? I didn't ask about RCI because I'm dealing with such a limited set of points.

I called three different times to ask about all of this prior to the reopening announcement back in early May. I'm really hoping some of this has changed as I expressed how difficult it will be to book anything for Fall in June. Especially if I'm having to sit on the phone and wait with every other DVC member in the same boat. They told me that they're sure something will be around (and I said, like studios? and they replied, we won't know until you call). I'll probably call in when my points disappear to see what's up.
How in the world do they think we can wait around to see whats open? that is why I booked using current points that I did have access to. I was told that YES I could call back and have them allocated in the new reservation. I needed to grab what was open for the Fall before there was no availability for a studio.

I was told that YES I could call back and have them allocated in the new reservation

I'm really hoping some of this has changed as I expressed how difficult it will be to book anything for Fall in June. Especially if I'm having to sit on the phone and wait with every other DVC member in the same boat.
Thanks. What Sophie Weaver posted is what a lot of other members have also posted in other threads. I hope DVC provides additional information/clarification soon, and I hope what momtwoboys posted turns out to be correct.

To make a big announcement about 2018 banked points being extended made it sound like they would be treated the same as before, just expiring at a later date. What we are hearing, and was not in the announcement, was that they would not be treated like regular banked points, and would in fact have severe restrictions.

Some members with June UY's had deposited 2018 banked points they thought were going to expire into RCI, but were later told that deposits into RCI could be reversed once it was announced those points would be extended. However, given the apparent restrictions on those extended points, those members might want to put those points back into RCI, but it might now be too late.

Last edited:

Not sure if it's the right thread to add another anecdotal story too but wanted to contribute just more pieces to the puzzle.

We've got a Sept UY and purchased in 2018 so we've got points banked from 2018, all of 2019 and a few borrowed from 2020 for a trip to Aulani in mid-July. After seeing the email about extending we decided to call (and wait and wait) to talk to MS tonight and the first cast member we talked to was a little fuzzy on the new rules so offered that we speak to her supervisor. So we waited some more and were met with a pretty quick "nothing we can do for you except move the borrowed 2020 points back." Their reasoning is that Aulani and DLR are only considered impacted through June 5th as of today. So completely out of options (other than rebooking by Aug deadline or RCI) for the 2018/2019 points unless Aulani cancels through that July reservation. Only then would we be able to extend those banked points and have 2019 be allowed to banked into 2020. We even tried to make a case for just allowing us to bridge a stay from Aug to Sept and that way we'd still only use the banked points by their expiration and make an exception for the 2019 points to bypass the banking deadline in April.

All in all, cast members were nice to deal with and of course they're just trying to navigate these waters with us. Just pretty disappointed walking away from the call feeling like we're completely lost in the woods :music: ...Couldnt help myself since we're watching F2 at the moment

@MilesMouse thank you sharing your experience. It does seem to align with what others have experience,

Borrowed points are being returned but late banking and the extension of banked 2018 points will only apply when the resort is a tally closed, I will keep my fingers crossed things work out.

@Sandisw Appreciate the well wishes! I think I'm mostly bummed that WDW and FL properties finally gave news for opening dates and AUL and DLR are handcuffed by what their states say or a number of other reasons.

Any thoughts how member services would handle a situation where the property technically opens but a state still has a 14 day mandatory quarantine for incoming visitors? Obviously we wouldnt be traveling if that's the case but wondering if DVC could say "well open is open."

@Sandisw Appreciate the well wishes! I think I'm mostly bummed that WDW and FL properties finally gave news for opening dates and AUL and DLR are handcuffed by what their states say or a number of other reasons.

Any thoughts how member services would handle a situation where the property technically opens but a state still has a 14 day mandatory quarantine for incoming visitors? Obviously we wouldnt be traveling if that's the case but wondering if DVC could say "well open is open."

They technically can. I do wonder, though, if they will open it up with those orders in place,

Many overseas travelers are right now banned from flights to the US and I have not yet heard of people being included

They may point to the message in April that did stare to follow normal banking and that extension would only be given if it remains closed.

IMO, I could see them not extending the 2018, but maybe convince them to let you late bank if it gets to be mid June and no opening date is announced or the restriction is still there

I’m as thoroughly confused as most seem to be. We had a reservation in May booked with banked points. We then had a first June reservation with some booked and some 2019. May was obviously cancelled and we extended June in th hopes of an opening. Well, we know that now. I was able to cancel June, ALL points deposited to my account, but of course we can only go Thanksgiving week and that needs to be waitlisted. I figured why not get on the waitlist. There is a record of all my transactions so they know I’ve tried to use them. Who knows. I just hope we August UY folks don’t get screwed. I understand they are constrained with timeshare laws and they must keep things under control for availability, but there seems to be so many solutions to make this work in the long term and not hurt people who were using their banked points but got caught up with this terrible situation thats not their fault🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️.

I’m as thoroughly confused as most seem to be. We had a reservation in May booked with banked points. We then had a first June reservation with some booked and some 2019. May was obviously cancelled and we extended June in th hopes of an opening. Well, we know that now. I was able to cancel June, ALL points deposited to my account, but of course we can only go Thanksgiving week and that needs to be waitlisted. I figured why not get on the waitlist. There is a record of all my transactions so they know I’ve tried to use them. Who knows. I just hope we August UY folks don’t get screwed. I understand they are constrained with timeshare laws and they must keep things under control for availability, but there seems to be so many solutions to make this work in the long term and not hurt people who were using their banked points but got caught up with this terrible situation thats not their fault🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️.

With an Aug UY, those 2018 points will not show up online and can only be used to book with a call to MS.

Unless the rules change, you will be able to call and use them starting August 1st. They did make April and June UY wait until after June 5th to use theirs, so If they stay consistent, you will most likely have to wait,

Any other points you have..2019..should go back into your 2020 UY and be seen online...but so far, no one has reported that happening. Even June UYs haven’t seen 2019 points put into 2020 yet,

It is why DVC dropped the ball in communication because the timelines and usage rules should be posted!

ETA: I just went to read the language on the website and they do say even 2019 will be extended one year from expiration. It makes me wonder if they don’t plan on moving them to 2020 UY until that UY starts like they did for June UY.

Last edited:
Thanks. Hopefully they can make sure those banked points go to the November Rez. The others we can use easy. I have two flight credits on Southwest, so we can make May happen next year and then we have a cancelled rebooked Disney cruise in July. So, not worried about 2019. I just hope we can get something during Thanksgiving to use those banked points. This July is out as my kids normal summer stuff is a go. School for us will start Aug 7 - whether in in person or e-learning or a combo of both. We just cant pull kids out of school and sports this fall - assuming it all happens. What a mess all of this is!

I just spoke with Member Services. She said the June UY 18/19 points are starting to be adjusted today, and should be done by June 5th. She said I should see my 2019 points put in with my 2020 points, and that I will have to call to use the 2018 points. Now the important part: She also said that I can absolutely apply the 2018 points to an existing reservation I have in July. She actually suggested this before I even asked. The rep stated that things are changing minute-by-minute, and that they have a chart to use to determine what can be done in each scenario, as each one is different. She did double-check that my July trip uses 2020 points to confirm the reallocation can take place, so I'm not sure if that is a factor. So here's to hoping the rep I speak with to use those 2018 points takes the same stance 🤞

I just spoke with Member Services. She said the June UY 18/19 points are starting to be adjusted today, and should be done by June 5th. She said I should see my 2019 points put in with my 2020 points, and that I will have to call to use the 2018 points. Now the important part: She also said that I can absolutely apply the 2018 points to an existing reservation I have in July. She actually suggested this before I even asked. The rep stated that things are changing minute-by-minute, and that they have a chart to use to determine what can be done in each scenario, as each one is different. She did double-check that my July trip uses 2020 points to confirm the reallocation can take place, so I'm not sure if that is a factor. So here's to hoping the rep I speak with to use those 2018 points takes the same stance 🤞

Yeah! I wonder if they changed the rule from what was reported last week due to a lot of complaints.

Cant wait until the end of the week when we get confirmation of it happening!

This would be wonderful news!!!! So are we supposed to wait a few more days before calling to reallocate then???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter