What are the advantages of going to WDW in the summer?

Winston112

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me again the pros of going in the summer vs. the fall, spring, or winter? We're scheduled to go at the end of July and the thought 95+ degrees and 95% humidity has me worried. I think I just need reassurance that it will still be fun.

We have been vacationing annually at WDW since 1972 and during the early years we always vacationed during the summer. I have now vacationed during all seasons and the advantages of vacationing in the summer for me are as follows:

1. Park hours are later, especially at MK - I like going early in the morning, taking a swim and nap during mid day when it is the hottest, and going back to the parks at night. I really love WDW at night!! On selected nights you can even have E-Rides till 1:00 a.m.
2. Nicer swimming weather - I'm a southern gal and I like it to be a hot day when I go to the water parks. I've been to TL anb BB in October and April and froze to death. Summer is definitely best for water parks IMO.
3. Less rehabs - I've noticed that fewer attractions are closed for rehab during the summer months.
4. Spectromagic and I think Sorcery in the Skies have two showings in the evening.

BEing a FL resident I just have 3 things to say:

HOT HOT HOT!!! :) :jester:

Here are some reasons to go in the dead of summer...

1). If you've ever wanted to experience Lawrence of Arabia for yourself.
2). If you think air conditioning is overrated.
3). If your current diet isnt working, sweating off those pounds will be very easy.
4). If sitting in your car with the windows up and a/c off in August doesnt give you the same experience.
5). If you own stock in sunscreen companies and want to help their stock along.

10. No need to take kids out of school
9. PERFECT swimming weather, great chance to try all the water parks
8. Good excuse to purchase personal fan/mister
7. LOTS of entertainment usually not available in the off season.
6. Less clothes to pack
5. Later park hours
4. More Charaters in parks
3. Heat helps you lose weight
2. 30,000 people a day can't be wrong
1. YOU CAN RUN AROUND WITHOUT MAKEUP!!!!!

We've always had a great time. Chat people up in line, get to the parks in the morning , and swim when it's hot!

Have a great time!!!
kay

1. You can swim late at night
2. You spend less on food
3. You can try out all the cool water areas

It's nice and hot there and the weather is beautiful! ... and the girls look good too...

This will be my third trip to DW, but first in the summer. Although it's going to be hot, I'd rather be there when it's hot instead of cold. We were there in December 2000 and it was so cold that week. I just don't like walking around in the cold. I happen to like hot weather. I lived in Miami for 5 years and don't ever remember minding the heat. I didn't even have an air conditioned car at the time.

I'm looking forward to water rides. I do not enjoy getting wet on a ride and walking around all wet when it's cool out. And I can't wait to go to Typhoon Lagoon. If it weren't for my daughter being in school, I would probably choose a spring or fall month. But the trip in 2000 was a free trip that I earned and it was the week before Christmas and I took her out of school because I had no choice. Never again, if I can help it. And when we were there last time, MK closed so early -- 6:30, I think. I'm looking forward it staying open later. So, look out July, here we come!

1. you already have your summer clothes out.
2. You already have a tan so there's no huge sunburning like when we went in April.
3. Longer hours.
4. FLexibiltiy with scheduling. I can't take the kids out of school anymore, they're too old, and I don't like to be stuck going during a vacation week with everyone else, so in the summer we can go anytime and stay for as long as we like.

our favorite time to go is June!

we always(well this will only be the 2nd time but with DVC this is the only time we are going) go in early june(i got out of school end of may) and the parks are too terribly crowded and long hours! during 2000 one night MK was open until midnight and we stayed until it closed...it was SOOO undercrowded that late that we rode Dumbo with like a 5-10 minute wait!

the main reason we like it is long hours!

September is great but the hours are short

Originally posted by WDWfanatic288
the main reason we like it is long hours!

I've already replied once on this thread but I agree that the main reason to go in the summer is the long hours at the park.
However....don't start your long hours in midday when the heat is unbearable! The best strategy to beat the heat is to go early, come back for a swim and a nap, and then hit the parks at night. During the summer there is usually an afternoon thunder shower almost every day and this lowers the temperature for a pleasant evening. If you are there from say 12 to 6 p.m. then I urge you to purchase a squeeze breeze to help you stay cooled off. I just love those "summer nights" at WDW and leaving the parks after the majority of folks have left. It just has a special magical feel to it sorta like "Christmas Morning!":)

Maybe we have just been lucky, but the last 3 out of 4 years it has been cooler in WDW during July 4th week than in NJ!!! I have actually brought the newspaper home to show people and prove it!! In my opinion, the summers in NJ are no bargain. They are hot and sticky as well, only difference being that we get an occasional break in the humidity.

So for us all the points listed by previous posters, outweight the heat and humidity.:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am one of those people who also go in Winter Months!:rolleyes: While it is true that there are not very many crowds during this time, WDW does SHUT DOWN early!:( I am looking forward to going this June, just for the later hours, and NO rehabs!;)

We go in the off off seasons now coz our kids our little and we can do all they want to do at the MK by 6 at night

When the girls are older we will go in summer to take advantage of the longer hours!!

only thing I can say is

SunBlock

SunBlock

and more SunBlock

Please watch that puddle it's me!!

Originally posted by Laurabearz
We go in the off off seasons now coz our kids our little and we can do all they want to do at the MK by 6 at night

When the girls are older we will go in summer to take advantage of the longer hours!!

Laura......I think this is a wise decision with little ones. The heat and humidity tends to be the hardest on them and also seniors. Actually.....my FAVORITE time to visit WDW is the end of October when you can attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Pary and the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. The weather is still usually good for swimming too! We will be at WDW next week after our cruise and I am disappointed by the shortened park hours at MK. We are only spending one day at WDW before returning home and Spectromagic and Fireworks will not be shown the night we will be there :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter