What are some must haves to bring??

tinkerjo

DIS Veteran
So I am planning my late February early March trip and we are tent camping. We are from the mid West and are used to camping but in the summer but are usually pulling a boat and fishing, so camping at Disney will be new for us. We will be bringing 2 tents and a screen house for 5 of us ( 2 adults, 2 older teens, and 1 tween) what are some of the must haves for my packing list?? DH wants to bring a TV but I'm not so sure. Any suggestion is helpful TY

If you bring a TV you'll need a cable coaxial and electric cord (50ft to be sure).

Good morning tinkerjo. We are also from the Midwest, WI, ( -14 this morning) and will be at the Fort feb 25-March 10. We are towing our Sanibel fifth-wheel down. Because you are in a tent, and the nights will or may be cold, I am thinking an Elec Blanket, topper for your airbeds, long extension cord, and many say a carpet/mats, for floor cover for your tents along with a rug to wipe your feet outside the tent. I copied a different kind of list for incidentals.

Rain ponchos (disposable dollar store type) for everyone traveling
- rain covers and sun covers for stollers
-Laundry pods (for washing machines)
-plastic cutlery/dishes (for snacks/breakfast in room)
-dish soap in a small travel bottle and a sponge
-ziplock bags all sizes for snacks and unexpected messes in the park.
-a couple of microfiber camping towels to carry into the park (can be used as a towel if needed or a blanket)
-scissors (came in handy so many times)
-potrable battery charger (for phone)
-power block to plug in serval devices at once
-Medication is an obvious one but I always forget something on each trip so decided to give you a list:
Tylenol, Advil, Gravol, equivalent baby meds for the little ones, electolytes (powder), heartburn meds, Immodium, cold meds, saline solution, Polysporin, Benedryl, reg Bandaids, Crotizone cream (anti itch), zinc oxide cream for babies/toddlers, sunscreen, aloa vera gel for sunburns, anti-fungal cream, medicated foot powder, Blister Bandaids, Band-aid's anti-blister stick, thermometer, tiny first aid kit.

Have a safe trip down, and a fabulous Disney vacation.

Considering you are tent camping in Feb. If it is safe I would consider some ceramic heaters and extra extension cords

Thank you everyone.thank you bjschil Ohio was below 0 this morning too so I am so excited about the probability of heat in a couple months ( even if southerners think it's cold) I had planned on the electric blankets and I'm a nurse so med kit is always packed and ready to go. We plan on doing a lot of our own meals. Can you use a Dutch oven on top of the grill??

Perhaps a fold-up table for extra room to prepare things or the small plastic fold-up patio tables? And if you are not on a dining plan, a propane BBQ and tank?

Can you use a Dutch oven on top of the grill??

Tinkerjo, I believe that the grill top lifts up, so you could set your Dutch oven in the grill, or for sure, on top. I hope somebody can verify that the grill top lifts up. Many people bring a crock pot, but you must be inventive on what to put over it if you are away at the parks for the day. Last year we cooked a frozen roast outside all day, and covered ours with a clothes basket, and weighted it down with the bricks we brought along. The pesky squirrels are cute, but may be a nuisance. Be careful about the food you leave in your tent. They have been known to chew to get inside. Melissa, iluvdisneymom, had posts about that unfortunate experience a couple years ago. You will have water, and electricity at your site. So bring those long extension cords. Many people hang string lights to keep on all night.

Great ideas!! I may just leave the Dutch oven at home. I think we will just use the grill and propane stove. I also will be bringing a few totes so I will be sure to store my food in them. How dark is the campground at night?? I didn't think of lights.....

Just remind DH if he brings the TV, he needs to have somewhere to secure it, and well anyone with a pocket knife has access to the inside of your tent. Theft does happen at Disney, not often, but like any campground it does happen. Just my .02.

Just remind DH if he brings the TV, he needs to have somewhere to secure it, and well anyone with a pocket knife has access to the inside of your tent. Theft does happen at Disney, not often, but like any campground it does happen. Just my .02.
That's awful!! Usually I feel pretty safe camping but I guess most campgrounds don't have masses of people heading to the parks daily. Maybe I'm just too trusting. I need to find an old 19" box TV that nobody would ever care about. We would skip the TV ( I for one don't think it's needed) but the family wants to watch the walking dead and the Disney infomercial channel

We haven't done tent camping at the fort, but I can share what I learned as a newbie travel trailer camper. Our first ever visit to the fort was in Dec. We learned that there are 2 different walmarts approximately the same distance from the campground in different directions. They are great not only for picking up groceries, forgotten supplies, (or in our case jackets since the temperature dropped unexpectedly) but they both have big selections of Disney souvenirs. We always bring the .99 rain ponchos but they can tear pretty easily taking them on an off but we found better quality Disney ones at the Orlando Walmart for under 5.00. As for camp cooking, I have one of those instant pots (which I got from Amazon warehouse deals) an it is perfect for cooking 1pot meals for families with teenagers (I have 2 boys). It is super fast and easy. Also the fried chicken meal at the counter service restaurant (right beside the trials end buffet, I think the name is pj's or something similar) is a pretty good value for a family and was some of the best fried chicken we have had that wasn't home cooked! Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.

let us know what campsite you're in, Leave a couple bowls and plastic ware out, we love dutch oven meals (chili is my fav):rolleyes1

let us know what campsite you're in, Leave a couple bowls and plastic ware out, we love dutch oven meals (chili is my fav):rolleyes1
Still debating the Dutch oven. I'm afraid I won't make time to cook a meal in it but would use it for deserts like apple crisp and brownies so depending on room, I may or may not bring it. ( but I want to)

I'm afraid I won't make time to cook a meal

{FIREPROOF CAPE FROM DRAWER TO SHOULDERS}
1) Ah, too bad.
2) About one-half the fun of camping at The Fort is preparing at least one meal at your campsite or in your cabin.
3) Remember, this is a campground and not a resort "hotel".
4) Sitting back and waiting for the food to cook is a SPECIAL time.
. . . talking amongst the family or with spouse (which has become almost a lost art)
. . . bonding
. . . relaxing from the rigors and rushing at the parks
{FIREPOOF CAPE BACK TO STORAGE}

We tent camp frequently all over the US but seldom have electricity due to camping in the national parks. But since we have electricity at Disney, one of my favorite things to bring is string lights for the EZ-UP tent. It nice to walk up to the campsite at the end of a long day and not have to try and light at lantern or mess with flashlights.

I wouldn’t hesitate to bring a heater or electric blankets if the weather seemed cold at all. Typically we are there in April and will bring a box fan.

This last trip we brought a few luxury items that made getting to the parks a little quicker in the early mornings. DH actually brought his keurig and we brought a small refrigerator so we wouldn’t have to mess with as much ice. I don’t know if I would bring them every time but they were kind of nice to have.

The last couple things i can think of that we always bring is a folding clothes rack and always something to wipe our feet on before entering the tent. We also bring a rug for inside the tent on all trips. It helps take the chill out and is a little easier on the kids when they just want to sit and play.

Enjoy!

{FIREPROOF CAPE FROM DRAWER TO SHOULDERS}
1) Ah, too bad.
2) About one-half the fun of camping at The Fort is preparing at least one meal at your campsite or in your cabin.
3) Remember, this is a campground and not a resort "hotel".
4) Sitting back and waiting for the food to cook is a SPECIAL time.
. . . talking amongst the family or with spouse (which has become almost a lost art)
. . . bonding
. . . relaxing from the rigors and rushing at the parks
{FIREPOOF CAPE BACK TO STORAGE}
No need for a fireproof cape. We do plan to cook most of our meals but will mostly be using the grill/ propane stove. Disney is only an every 2-3 year thing for us ( and bringing a teen that has never been to Disney this trip) and while we are not commandos by any means, I do want to try and balance park time with relaxation time. I'm just not convinced I have the space to bring something I may use 1-2times

We tent camp frequently all over the US but seldom have electricity due to camping in the national parks. But since we have electricity at Disney, one of my favorite things to bring is string lights for the EZ-UP tent. It nice to walk up to the campsite at the end of a long day and not have to try and light at lantern or mess with flashlights.

I wouldn’t hesitate to bring a heater or electric blankets if the weather seemed cold at all. Typically we are there in April and will bring a box fan.

This last trip we brought a few luxury items that made getting to the parks a little quicker in the early mornings. DH actually brought his keurig and we brought a small refrigerator so we wouldn’t have to mess with as much ice. I don’t know if I would bring them every time but they were kind of nice to have.

The last couple things i can think of that we always bring is a folding clothes rack and always something to wipe our feet on before entering the tent. We also bring a rug for inside the tent on all trips. It helps take the chill out and is a little easier on the kids when they just want to sit and play.

Enjoy!
Thank you for the great ideas. We are going to buy some string lights!! Not sure if we have room for carpet but did plan on a couple large tarps and plan to bring a couple electric blankets just in case.

While we camp in our RV, I also suggest an instant pot. There are a ton of recipes on Pinterest, and the food cooks fast. If you haven't heard about them it's a pressure/slow/rice cooker. It's super easy.....just one pot, and we find it's worth every bit of space it takes up in the camper. There are also lanterns that are led rechargeable. They can charge via an electric cord, or a auto charger. I would take a fan. The weather is unpredictable in the winter. It could be freezing.....could be toasty.....could be both. These three things we never leave home without them packed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!