"What am I even doing with my life?" Comments Welcome!

@DopeyBadger, just out of curiosity, is there any way of telling if you're making gains during a training cycle? It's early in mine, so I'm really just wondering. Or is it one of those things where you should wait until after the cycle ends and then reassess at the end?

I'd say at this moment in time, not to necessarily worry about it. As the seasons transition, it's going to be difficult to use pace or HR cues to determine fitness gains. So it's best to continue to follow the plan and trust that it is working. Even if "easy" goes from a 16:15 min/mile to a 16:45 min/mile is not an indictment. There are plenty of good reasons why you should see your pace slow if the temp increases or the training load increases.

The best way to know is that what was once hard doesn't feel as hard. So say s 2 x 3 interval at 105/30 was hard. But then you find a 3 x 4 interval equally hard later in the plan. My guess is that if you went back and did a 2 x 3 interval instead of the 3 x 4 interval you wouldn't find it as hard as when you originally did it. That would show gains and progress without using pace or HR as a cue. I personally look for the verbage used to describe the runs as a means to determine how someone is progressing.

I'd say at this moment in time, not to necessarily worry about it. As the seasons transition, it's going to be difficult to use pace or HR cues to determine fitness gains. So it's best to continue to follow the plan and trust that it is working. Even if "easy" goes from a 16:15 min/mile to a 16:45 min/mile is not an indictment. There are plenty of good reasons why you should see your pace slow if the temp increases or the training load increases.

The best way to know is that what was once hard doesn't feel as hard. So say s 2 x 3 interval at 105/30 was hard. But then you find a 3 x 4 interval equally hard later in the plan. My guess is that if you went back and did a 2 x 3 interval instead of the 3 x 4 interval you wouldn't find it as hard as when you originally did it. That would show gains and progress without using pace or HR as a cue. I personally look for the verbage used to describe the runs as a means to determine how someone is progressing.
Thanks for the info! I definitely wasn't worried about currently. There's nowhere to go but up from where I am! Thanks again for all your help.

Sitting down for dinner, but my bf is working late and I have to log on a bit later tonight, so thought I would squeeze in a post.

Because you guys care: I am having homemade black bean and sweet potato enchiladas with a Modelo because why not?!?

This was supposed to be 2.0 miles at 16:15. It ended up being a little longer. Nothing to really say except it felt good, it was a little cooler today than prior runs, and my heart rate seemed low enough.

Princess Registration tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hey, hey, hey. Bunch of stuff to report; it has been a bit.

First - I am registered for the Fairy Tale Challenge! I'm excited and nervous for my first half, but the Hot Chocolate 15k in November should help prepare.

Second - We were at an arcade bar last night for a friends 30th birthday. They had some giveaways going on. If you bought a drink, you got a ticket to put in a raffle. My boyfriend wins EVERYTHING so he decided to fill out the ticket and see what happened. HE WON ROLLING STONES TICKETS. I am so excited!!!! We go later this month.

And now on to the running.
May 30th - 3 miles at easy. I don't really remember this, but my pace is faster than it should have been so it couldn't have been too bad?

June 1st - 2.5 miles easy, 2x3 interval set at 10k pace w/ 3 min RI, 1 mile easy. It was hooooooot which made this run challenging, but I got it done! I should have slowed the interval sets down due to the heat, but I just didn't. I really need to get a handle on pacing!!!

June 3rd - 3 miles at easy. This. run. was. awesome. It felt so good and effortless. My heart rate stayed consistently low. The weather was also much cooler with it being in the 60s, which I am sure contributed.

June 5th - This was supposed to be 3 miles easy, but I decided not to run because by the time I could go, it was in the 80s and humid. It was just way too hot for me. I rescheduled for the next day.

June 6th - I got my 3 miles in. I actually ran with a friend. It was the first time I've ever actually ran with anyone and I was surprised that I didn't hate it. I thought I would worry about going to slow or too fast for someone. I went a bit faster and further than intended, but felt pretty good despite the heat.

June 8th - 1 mile at easy, 2 miles averaging 14:11 pace, and .5 miles at easy. It was really warm and humid today, but overcast which was a nice reprieve. As I mentioned earlier, I went out last night for a friends 30th so I am glad I still went out and ran today. I was DEAD tired though. I swear I was half asleep the whole first mile. The next two miles weren't bad, though too fast. I walked a little extra at some points to try to slow myself down a bit, but it wasn't too bad.

One thing I have noticed is that after a "hard to me" portion of a run, I struggle with getting my heart rate down in the cool down, even going slowly. My HR recovery after a full stop is good, but not so much when I go into a cool down run.

Next week I'm scheduled to do 14.5 miles with Saturday being 6 miles. It's also supposed to be "practice nutrition" run that day and I really need to figure out what I am going to do about that...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 5.34.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 5.34.01 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

@DopeyBadger can we talk about fueling for Saturday's run? Should I be eating before ? During? I've only ever had a couple of sports beans during one run, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should try? Rock n roll says they will have Gatorade endurance forumla, but I'm not opposed to carrying my own fuel.

Should I be eating before ?

Yes. These "nutrition" training runs are where you should be testing out your pre-race meal and timing. So find something that is easily digestable and tolerable to your stomach in the timeframe you plan to have prior to your race. Me personally, I eat a PB and Honey Bagel with a banana about 2 hours before the last time I think I'll be able to use the bathroom.

During? I've only ever had a couple of sports beans during one run, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Yes. Try whatever you'd like. Sports beans, gels, powder mixed in water. There are lots of options and you're looking for something you tolerate. At this point in time, what you choose is minimally important as much as whether you tolerate it. Once you get into race distances that may put you on the threshold of glycogen depletion, then the source of nutrition during a run plays a possibly larger role. But for the purpose of right now in your journey, just try a bunch of different things and find something that is tolerable. If you take in about 20-30g carbs per hour, then you should be fine.

Checking in here with 3 more run updates!

The heat has thankfully stayed away on my runs this week, though Monday was humid.

June 10th - Scheduled 3 miles at easy. Ran a little too fast for a little too long. Felt good, but humid!

June 12th - Scheduled 2 miles at easy. I had ZERO desire to run this day, but made it happen anyway. I am glad I did. Ran a little too fast again, but still felt great.

June 13th - Scheduled 3.5 miles at easy. Again, too long, too fast. I actually ran this with a friend though. She does 3min/2min intervals (what I used to do), so I ran that with her. I usually do 60/30 now, so hopefully that's still okay!!! Felt really good and the 3 minutes seemed short, likely because I was running with someone. My heart rate average on this run was lower than any prior run. Likely because of the 2 minute walk intervals? But overall still faster than my other "easy runs." Very curious....

@DopeyBadger my easy runs have been consistently too fast recently. Granted, my easy runs in the past week or so have been on slightly cooler days, but I can't seem to get myself to slow down. I actively try, but I just can't seem to run slower. Is that a sign of progression or should I work to run slower? I don't want to hinder the purpose of the easy run! With that said, on hot days I am certainly closer to the intended pace.

6 miles scheduled on Saturday and it's supposed to rain. Booooo.

Yes. These "nutrition" training runs are where you should be testing out your pre-race meal and timing. So find something that is easily digestable and tolerable to your stomach in the timeframe you plan to have prior to your race. Me personally, I eat a PB and Honey Bagel with a banana about 2 hours before the last time I think I'll be able to use the bathroom.

Yes. Try whatever you'd like. Sports beans, gels, powder mixed in water. There are lots of options and you're looking for something you tolerate. At this point in time, what you choose is minimally important as much as whether you tolerate it. Once you get into race distances that may put you on the threshold of glycogen depletion, then the source of nutrition during a run plays a possibly larger role. But for the purpose of right now in your journey, just try a bunch of different things and find something that is tolerable. If you take in about 20-30g carbs per hour, then you should be fine.

For the record, I read this. I even discussed your advice WITH people. I am the worst at responding to things!!!! You should see all my unanswered text messages....

@DopeyBadger my easy runs have been consistently too fast recently. Granted, my easy runs in the past week or so have been on slightly cooler days, but I can't seem to get myself to slow down. I actively try, but I just can't seem to run slower. Is that a sign of progression or should I work to run slower? I don't want to hinder the purpose of the easy run! With that said, on hot days I am certainly closer to the intended pace.

Here's the important part. Do you truly believe it feels easy? Like nearly effortless? If so, then I say keep doing it. But however easy it feels on a nice beautiful cool day should be exactly how easy it feels on a terribly hot/humid day. The effort is the same. That's the key.

With that being said, be careful. The aerobic benefits of running tend to peak around 8 weeks of a training cycle. You're at week 7. But the skeletal benefits don't maximize until week 12. So this is that risky time of the training cycle where your effort may be saying "go go go this is too easy" and yet your bones are saying "oh no I can't handle this speed quite yet". So just be careful during these next few weeks.

You're inside 8 weeks from race day, so we won't change any paces officially.

Here's the important part. Do you truly believe it feels easy? Like nearly effortless? If so, then I say keep doing it. But however easy it feels on a nice beautiful cool day should be exactly how easy it feels on a terribly hot/humid day. The effort is the same. That's the key.

With that being said, be careful. The aerobic benefits of running tend to peak around 8 weeks of a training cycle. You're at week 7. But the skeletal benefits don't maximize until week 12. So this is that risky time of the training cycle where your effort may be saying "go go go this is too easy" and yet your bones are saying "oh no I can't handle this speed quite yet". So just be careful during these next few weeks.

You're inside 8 weeks from race day, so we won't change any paces officially.
That's pretty crazy that the timing seems to coincide almost exactly!

The quicker easy runs on cooler days definitely feel even easier than the slower easy runs on hot days, so I think I am okay with the effort level of these quicker easy days. I don't tolerate heat well though. Even just sitting. Not a fan of it!

I'll keep this in mind though and make sure that I don't push myself just because I can. I'm invested in doing this right! Honestly, I'm a little shocked at how consistent I have been with this whole running thing. In the past, I've given up out of sheer laziness.

That's pretty crazy that the timing seems to coincide almost exactly!

Just means you're right on track!

I'll keep this in mind though and make sure that I don't push myself just because I can. I'm invested in doing this right! Honestly, I'm a little shocked at how consistent I have been with this whole running thing. In the past, I've given up out of sheer laziness.

Always trying to change things up and keep it fresh. Throw lots of things at you so it doesn't get monotonous.

I wanted to post about today's run while it was still relatively fresh in my mind. I was a little nervous going in to this one.

Today was scheduled to be 3 miles at Easy (16:15), followed by a 2x4 interval set (averaging 12:58) with a 5 minute resting interval, and a 1 mile cool down at Easy (16:15). The plan said this was to be 6 miles, but it came out to 5.84. I'm guessing it's because I walked the 5 minute RI, but who knows.

I started my run this morning when it was about 68 degrees. I was feeling particularly tired this morning. The first 2 miles weren't great. I was tired and it was SO humid. The last mile was a little better, but it also started sprinkling some so the humidity didn't feel as bad.

Next, I moved into the interval set. This is supposed to be my 10k pace of 12:58 + a 5 minute walk at 18:00. Well. I went WAY WAY faster than that. I've only done this speed once or twice previously so I don't have the pacing down. In the end, I finished with a 12:53 average pace INCLUDING that 5 minute walk. So I ended up running AND walking faster than my 10k pace. That means my runs were WAY too fast. On the plus side, even though it was definitely HARD, it didn't feel as hard as the prior interval sets I've done. This could be because of a couple things. 1. I ate half a sports bean pack after my warmup 3 miles and ate most of the other half during the 5min RI. 2. It started POURING during my 5 minute RI and the rain probably distracted me and cooled me down. 3. I'm farther into my training plan and so everything is feeling better. I need to get a handle on my pacing for race day though or I'll go out way too fast.

I debated skipping my cool down because I was so soaked, but I kept on going. I figured I was already drenched, so I might as well finish. I did take an opportunity during one of my walk intervals to stop at my car and throw my phone and water bottle in the trunk so that I didn't ruin them. I ran this too fast, likely because of the rain and also because I was on a high from the interval set.

Even though my shoes are now soaking wet and the run had some ups and downs, I'm really pleased with how today went. Going forward, I need to get a feel for my 10k pace because I'm doing it too fast. But at the same time, I feel good knowing I COULD go faster (albeit likely not for 6 full miles...)

Last edited:
Ugh. After a combination of getting sick and then there being a death in my family, I had to take two weeks off running. But! I’m back and I ran 3.5 miles easy yesterday.

@DopeyBadger with the race so close, should I do anything differently or just pick up with this week in the schedule?

Last edited:
Such a bummer on the sickness and condolences on the death.

Were you able to complete the plan in full leading up to the two weeks off? If yes, then I'd suggest just converting everything remaining to be easy mileage of the same duration (i.e. 7/10 was scheduled as M Tempo, but now will be easy, but will remain 75 total min). If no, then I'd suggest converting everything remaining to be easy mileage of the same duration except just repeat the week of 7/15 twice (with 7/13 being capped at 75 min).

Such a bummer on the sickness and condolences on the death.

Were you able to complete the plan in full leading up to the two weeks off? If yes, then I'd suggest just converting everything remaining to be easy mileage of the same duration (i.e. 7/10 was scheduled as M Tempo, but now will be easy, but will remain 75 total min). If no, then I'd suggest converting everything remaining to be easy mileage of the same duration except just repeat the week of 7/15 twice (with 7/13 being capped at 75 min).
Thank you, I appreciate the condolences.

Yes, I was able to complete the plan in full up until I got sick and life got crazy. I'll follow your advice of keeping it easy, but at the same duration. As always, thank you for your help!

I ran my 10k year. According to the official time, I finished it only 22 seconds faster than my April 10k. It was 90% humidity when we started and my last couple weeks were unfortunately derailed so I'm okay with it and ready to start training for the 15k I'm registered for in November!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!