"What am I even doing with my life?" Comments Welcome!

I think I'm setting my goal for the 10k as finishing in under a 15min/mi pace. I know that's not a lofty goal at all, but this is my first ever race. I can worry about doing "well" going forward after knowing what ton expect and training better.

I'm a super cautious person with my goals (usually...sometimes I go crazy and set hard goals when I'm in the mood) but this is what I did when I started adding distance.
Race #1 of a distance was "just finish" and learn from the experience.
Race #2 of a distance would then be to beat the above time or set a specific time goal and use what I learned in the first experience to improve upon this next race.

I've done the Rock N Roll 10k in Chicago a handful of times and always enjoyed it. It's fairly flat with maybe only one or two bunny hills on the course. It is July so could be great weather or hot. But there is a lot of the course on the lakefront where shade is present. And the medals are usually cool.

I'm a super cautious person with my goals (usually...sometimes I go crazy and set hard goals when I'm in the mood) but this is what I did when I started adding distance.
Race #1 of a distance was "just finish" and learn from the experience.
Race #2 of a distance would then be to beat the above time or set a specific time goal and use what I learned in the first experience to improve upon this next race.

I've done the Rock N Roll 10k in Chicago a handful of times and always enjoyed it. It's fairly flat with maybe only one or two bunny hills on the course. It is July so could be great weather or hot. But there is a lot of the course on the lakefront where shade is present. And the medals are usually cool.

I sent that one to two friends and I think we might do the 10k! Thank you!

I ran today!

OtwnMlK.png

Splits: 15:21, 15:23, 15:06, 14:58, 14:25

So, on this run I actively tried to run about a minute to a minute and a half slower than normal. Clearly, I was more successful at that in the beginning than the end. It was awkward, but I felt great at the end. I definitely could have went several miles longer at that pace. I was also a weirdo and did the talk test and frequently talked to myself. While at some points I was a little breathing a little heavier than I should have, I wasn't huffing/puffing at all.

What's super weird is that my heart rate tracked as being higher or even with prior runs. There is NO way that is possible. It definitely FELT easier. I don't think I am going to pay too much attention to heart rate at all.

Some Observations:
  • I had no pain for the majority of my run. However, the first mile or so, my shins hurt a bit, but then the pain went away. I wonder if this is normal. Would foam rolling help? Note to self: Get a foam roller
  • It got cold in the last mile! Dress more appropriately!
  • I was so hungry about half way through. Not "I'm working out and I need fuel" hungry, but "did I skip 5 meals? I am going to eat my arm" hungry. Note to self: Girl, eat more during the day, you big dumb dumb.
  • I was bored. So bored. Bored bored bored. Look into a new route.
Overall, I'm pleased with how today went. I would consider this a "long" run for me considering the 10k is my first race. Since I could have definitely gone faster, I'm okay with the pace here!

My shin is still a bit sore/tight from my "long to me" run on Tuesday. I am trying to decide if I want to push my 30 minute run to tomorrow to give it a bit more rest or if I should just go for it. I would normally push it, but I can't decide if that's counter productive being this close to race day.

I got my run in and I'm sure glad I did! It was a bit tender running, but not at all an issue!

I did an easy 30 minutes. Again, I purposefully slowed down instead of running 90-95% like I was used to.

mlUM6GDl.png

Two Baby Splits: 14:52, 14:31

I felt good when I ended.

One thing I have noticed is that the first half mile or so always seems to be the hardest? Both mentally and physically, my legs feel the most sore at that point. I definitely need to figure out a better warm up because mine just doesn't seem to cut it.

In non running news, I am seeing Anastacia (the musical) on Saturday and I'm so excited!!!!!

One thing I have noticed is that the first half mile or so always seems to be the hardest? Both mentally and physically, my legs feel the most sore at that point. I definitely need to figure out a better warm up because mine just doesn't seem to cut it.

Not uncommon at all and may have little to do with your warm-up routine. For me, when I'm deep in training it may take a few miles for things to start to feel "normal". What kind of post-workout stretch are you doing as that may be more beneficial to that "early miles" feel?

Not uncommon at all and may have little to do with your warm-up routine. For me, when I'm deep in training it may take a few miles for things to start to feel "normal". What kind of post-workout stretch are you doing as that may be more beneficial to that "early miles" feel?
Honestly, not a whole lot. I've always found stretching awkward like I'm not doing it correctly. Lately I've just been doing the hands against the wall stretch of my calves and holding my foot behind me stretches. Descriptive. I know. Do you have any stretching you recommend? I really should start incorporating it more.

My watch is registering a resting heart rate of 156 today. Yet it says my current rate is 61. I probably wear it wrong. I'm not going to concern myself with it from now on and just go based on how I feel.

Honestly, not a whole lot. I've always found stretching awkward like I'm not doing it correctly. Lately I've just been doing the hands against the wall stretch of my calves and holding my foot behind me stretches. Descriptive. I know. Do you have any stretching you recommend? I really should start incorporating it more.

Based on the meta data research I've read on the topic, a person is more likely to get injured incorporating a new routine, then they are if they continue whatever they are already doing (whether that's none, dynamic, or static). So my suggestion is to wait until after you're upcoming race to start anything new.

Me personally, prior to starting to run I do dynamic stretching (where you don't hold a move but are in constant motion). I do:

-30 walking butt kicks
-20 toy soldiers (raise a straight leg up and aim to touch with arm)
-20 hackey sacks (raise the leg up and bend at knee towards the middle of your body like you're kicking a hackey sack)
-20 knee raises with elbow over head stretches (walk in place with knees coming up and simultaneously hold one of your arms above your head with the other arm grasping at the wrist and pulling it down towards your back)
-20 butt kicks with arms grasped behind body
-20 arm circles

After the run is over, I do static stretching:

-Hold calves in a stretched position (like your wall, but I do it on a stair instead. So it's in front of me instead of behind)
-One leg quad stretch
-Touch toes

Then go down to the ground and do the following:

-Sit with butt on ground, one leg straight out, other leg crosses over with foot flat on ground. Pull knee towards opposite armpit (so diagonally kind of). Do other leg afterwards.
-Lay on back. Put both feet flat on ground with knees bent. Lift one leg and rest the ankle on the front side (closest to you) of the knee. Push the knee that is up in the air away from you. Then after 20 seconds, pull it across your body. Then do other leg.
-Sit up with one knee on ground and the other leg kicked out to your side with your heel on the ground. Stretch hamstring of leg kicked out by slowly and carefully lowering your butt.

Word descriptions are hard, but I'm sure you can find some good stretching moves on youtube with visual queues that work your tight spots.

My watch is registering a resting heart rate of 156 today.

Something is definitely wrong there.

As always, you are a wealth of information!

Two more 30 minute runs until my first ever race! I'm really looking forward to it and trying to build a better training plan (or maybe solicit advice for one? :flower3:) once it is over!

Good luck to everyone next week!

Last edited:
Y8TdZT8l.png

Two Baby Splits: 14:24, 14:21

I went for my 30 minute run yesterday. Nothing noteworthy to report. Kept it easy-ish.

It was very windy, which made for some difficulty because I spent a lot of the run running into the wind. It was about 45 degrees with 20mph winds.

My ankle has been sore since my Monday run. I didn't notice until later. It'll be fine to run on on Saturday (it's not that bad) but it's definitely annoying. I've been icing it on and off and I do notice that it feels better than it did yesterday.

I have the worst luck.

My ankle has been sore since my Monday run. I didn't notice until later. It'll be fine to run on on Saturday (it's not that bad) but it's definitely annoying. I've been icing it on and off and I do notice that it feels better than it did yesterday.

I have the worst luck.

Hoping the best. If it lingers much beyond the race, then consider seeing a professional about it.

Thanks. I will. It feels significantly better today. I'm sure I just took a funny step or something and being overly cautious.

I'm back from Disney! I finished my first 10k! It was so incredibly humid, but otherwise went well.

I finished in 1:27:32 with a 5k split of 43:57. According to runkeeper, that's my fastest 5k and 10k.

I do find it interesting to compare how my watch tracked the run. According to runkeeper, I ran 6.38 miles in 1:27:42. That would be a 13:45 min/mile run versus the actual 14:06. Very interesting - I'm sure some of the weaving accounted for it.

I'm giving my feet a day or two of rest after being at the parks, but then will get right back to it!

I really need a training plan, so I need to start scouring the internet. Or perhaps @DopeyBadger may have the time to work with me?

I'm already scheduled for the Rock N Roll 10k and I plan on registering for the Wonder Woman 10k, Hot Chocolate 15k, and the Princess Challenge!

I do find it interesting to compare how my watch tracked the run. According to runkeeper, I ran 6.38 miles in 1:27:42. That would be a 13:45 min/mile run versus the actual 14:06. Very interesting - I'm sure some of the weaving accounted for it.

Not uncommon for GPS devices to not match the distance of the event. Weaving is one reason, just accuracy of a satellite really far away picking up on your exact location, and the number of times your GPS device pings are two other very good reasons.

I really need a training plan, so I need to start scouring the internet. Or perhaps @DopeyBadger may have the time to work with me?

I can always make more time. Just PM me.

I ran 2.04 miles yesterday. It was very uncomfortable lol, but for weird reasons. I forgot to change into a sports bra. EEK, but I was already at the park and didn't want to quit completely.

Pace was 14:21. Heart rate was low (for me) at 158 average.

Hello! I'm still here and I have been running. I reached out to @DopeyBadger who is working on a training plan for me. Currently, he is having me slow WAY down and then do a 1 mile test run. I have two more runs to go before the 1 mile. I am still nervous about this "slow down" thing and have to stop myself from speeding up, but I'm trusting the process!

April 16th:
I3ffAsjl.png

April 18th:
AK25QUjl.png

April 21st:
667VWcwl.png

April 23rd:
l2YvN3il.png

I am supposed to go out Thursday, but I also have Endgame tickets, so I'm hoping to run in the morning before work - but let's see how that goes.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts