What’s for Dinner Tonight?

Basically, ground beef mixed with uncooked rice, some minced onion, salt & pepper, rolled into meatballs, and put in the pressure cooker with tomato soup and a little water.

This is basically Grandma's recipe: Porcupine meatballs - allrecipes.com, though she called for half the rice, and the same amount of pepper as salt. We've always made them in a pressure cooker. The recipe I have calls for 10 min at 15 lbs, let the pressure come down on it's own; or 15 min at 15 lbs, and release the pressure right away. I put them in the Instant pot on normal pressure for 15 minutes, and usually release the pressure manually.

They're definitely comfort food in our family. Sometimes served over mashed potatoes (mmmmmm!).
Aww...thanks for this. :lovestruc My Dmom used to make porcupines and they looked just like that. Good memories! I miss you, Mom. :littleangel:

We're having beef stroganoff tonight. I was away on business a week ago so I suspended our Hello Fresh order. That means I'm back to meal planning and shopping, and using the chance to make some of DH's favorites from scratch.

Aww...thanks for this. :lovestruc My Dmom used to make porcupines and they looked just like that. Good memories! I miss you, Mom. :littleangel:

We're having beef stroganoff tonight. I was away on business a week ago so I suspended our Hello Fresh order. That means I'm back to meal planning and shopping, and using the chance to make some of DH's favorites from scratch.
Funny! I was just making a grocery list with the ingredients to make beef stroganoff tomorrow night.

Feeling better tonight, but taking it slowly on the food. DD and SIL are back from Disney, so they, DH, and the little guy had burgers on the grill (first of the season) with sauteed mushrooms and cheese, with Caesar salad (bag from Trader Joe's). I had a scrambled egg (with no "overt reactions," fingers crossed!)

DH caught some rainbow trout in the local lake last week and we weren’t going to eat them right away so we froze them. Thawing now. I’ve never cooked them before and DH tells me he hated how his mom prepared them. We ate a lot of fish growing up, but my mom only made ocean fish, never lake fish.

I found a few recipes on line and hoping for the best. Lots of recipes with the head still on, but DH removed the head. Bones and skin still in tact though. Some say to soak in milk.

He said if they aren’t good he’ll just catch and release going forward. I really want to like them.

As I mentioned last night, we're having beef stroganoff w/egg noodles. DH & DS are having asparagus. I'm having peas. (Neither of them like peas, but they'll eat their weight in asparagus. The bunch isn't that big, so I'm going to let them have all of it. Plus, it's a good excuse for me to have peas.)

DH caught some rainbow trout in the local lake last week and we weren’t going to eat them right away so we froze them. Thawing now. I’ve never cooked them before and DH tells me he hated how his mom prepared them. We ate a lot of fish growing up, but my mom only made ocean fish, never lake fish.

I found a few recipes on line and hoping for the best. Lots of recipes with the head still on, but DH removed the head. Bones and skin still in tact though. Some say to soak in milk.

He said if they aren’t good he’ll just catch and release going forward. I really want to like them.
It was just okay. The skin and most bones pulled off/out easily once cooked, but there were still some smaller bones left. I was not crazy about the soy sauce based marinade I made. I did it because I thought he would like it. He kept saying how great it smelled, but the taste was just okay. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

We’ll try again, maybe grill it next time. I generally like fish fairly plain, he needs more flavor and actually prefers deep fried. I am not willing to eat deep fried anything more than rarely.

Also had rice and I ate tomato salad.

It was just okay. The skin and most bones pulled off/out easily once cooked, but there were still some smaller bones left. I was not crazy about the soy sauce based marinade I made. I did it because I thought he would like it. He kept saying how great it smelled, but the taste was just okay. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

We’ll try again, maybe grill it next time. I generally like fish fairly plain, he needs more flavor and actually prefers deep fried. I am not willing to eat deep fried anything more than rarely.

Also had rice and I ate tomato salad.
I am not a big fresh water fish eater. My father and husband both fish. They both do catch and release but occasionally one doesn’t make. My mom will grill the trout for my father. She puts lemon and fresh dill in the fish, wraps in foil and grills. My dad seems to like it.

I am not a big fresh water fish eater. My father and husband both fish. They both do catch and release but occasionally one doesn’t make. My mom will grill the trout for my father. She puts lemon and fresh dill in the fish, wraps in foil and grills. My dad seems to like it.
Thank you. That sounds like something I would enjoy, not sure about my husband. His mom fried everything and his taste buds still like that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter