We've never done an additional cost event - what's your #1 recommendation?

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
Title says it all - never done a dessert party, EMM, after hours, tour, etc. We've always found more than enough to entertain ourselves with regular park admission and on site hotel, but I am feeling like we should try *something* this trip. What is your favorite? For reference, it's DH, me, 14yo, 12yo, kids not super into Star Wars, our park preference, in order, is Epcot (what a surprise!), AK, MK, HS.

It's really impossible to suggest the right thing knowing so little about you and your preferences. I love the MNSSHP and MVMCP if you're there between mid-August through part of December but it looks like you're a bit early for that. What is it you love about Epcot as a 1st choice park and the AK as 2nd? The food? Perhaps a dessert party at one or the other. There's an after hours event at the AK that could be fun - do you love riding as many rides as possible? like go go go go? The after hours parties look good for that. There's also a special dinner and safari thing at AK - I don't know if they still have it. There's also a special after hours party at Typhoon Lagoon (Glow party) during the summer that looks like fun. Would your family enjoy renting a boat or doing the fireworks viewing from the boat? Also these parties/events have fairly different costs - would you want to spend upwards to $130+ a person? The glow party is closer to $55 a person, includes special drinks and food for purchase... etc. The After Hours events are more than double that cost. Dessert parties are somewhere in the middle I think. Lots of things to think about! :)

It's really impossible to suggest the right thing knowing so little about you and your preferences. I love the MNSSHP and MVMCP if you're there between mid-August through part of December but it looks like you're a bit early for that. What is it you love about Epcot as a 1st choice park and the AK as 2nd? The food? Perhaps a dessert party at one or the other. There's an after hours event at the AK that could be fun - do you love riding as many rides as possible? like go go go go? The after hours parties look good for that. There's also a special dinner and safari thing at AK - I don't know if they still have it. There's also a special after hours party at Typhoon Lagoon (Glow party) during the summer that looks like fun. Would your family enjoy renting a boat or doing the fireworks viewing from the boat? Also these parties/events have fairly different costs - would you want to spend upwards to $130+ a person? Lots of things to think about! :)
Thank you - I think you've hit the nail on the head about why we haven't done any of these things - to me it feels like there are SO many that I can't possibly decide. And I know that many people do lots of them, so you aren't required to choose just one, but for us the "base" trip is often at the top of our budget so I just am not sure what the value-add is for an "extra."
I will add we do love food, fireworks, and the safari ride at AK so I would say a dessert party or perhaps the Boma safari experience would be most appealing, though maybe Wild Africa Trek is better for my kids' ages. I clearly can't make up my mind so I guess I'm asking for YOU (whoever replies), what was the best thing YOU did - I know that might not translate to us specifically but I'd still appreciate knowing what folks think is worth the money.

Thanks - this is end of July, beginning of August this year.

Do you like the water parks?

For us, I think the biggest bang for your buck is MK Disney After Hours. Although I'm not that into the "Villains" version running this summer. We're doing H2O Glow Night at TL instead. We did it last year and really enjoyed it (the price is also materially cheaper).

The best thing I've done is the MNSSHP and the MVMCP but you're too early for those. I've done a dessert party with fireworks and loved it - and I'd do it again - but it can be a lot of food and if you're not hungry, into desserts, etc. then you're paying more for the viewing spot.

For things I haven't done: the AH event looks amazing but I think best for those who can cover a lot of ground and like to ride all the rides...and also have no issue staying up late in some cases cause they go late at night. I personally get enough riding done during regular park hours so this doesn't hold as much appeal for me. My DH did one of the MK tours and enjoyed it (where you go behind the scenes and such). It's also expensive. This year for our August trip we plan to do one of the MNSSHP and I'm leaning towards going to the TL Glow party - it's comparatively cheap...low crowds mean no/less wait for the water rides, it's at night so no sunscreen, special characters are out, DJ with a dance party, special food and drinks with a glow theme - looks like for a family of 4 a reasonable cost, perhaps relaxing...with the ages of your kids you could probably let them run around while you did other stuff if you wanted.

We did EMM at MK and After Hours, May Fourth special at HS. Both in our opinion are worth the extra cost purely for the lower crowds and little to no wait for rides. If you are only in WDW for a short period and need to maximise your time, then I would absolutely recommend one of these. However appreciate you have 4 tickets to buy and it therefore depends on whether you want to spend the cash on this or have more spending money/extra whole day in a park etc.

Either MK after hours or the fireworks dessert buffet. If I had to pick, it would be the dessert buffet at the MK. It's the one extra we do every trip. We don't watch the fireworks unless we have it.

I'd suggest a tour, almost all of them get a lot of positive comments here. Please do take note that some tours are adults-only.

Ok, I haven't done any of these myself either, but I would love to. The cost usually holds me back as well as the fact that my husband is not a Disney fan and I'm lucky if I can go every few years, so time is precious. If I had my choice I would do the Behind the Seeds Tour. I'm nerdy like that and it appeals to my sense of frugality. My family enjoys edutainment. We watch documentaries for fun. I miss the theming of the EPCOT of old that got so many thinking about mankind's future and what we might create together with a spark of imagination ( I'm looking at you Figment.) Living with the Land is like a time capsule that takes me back to 1990, but the theme is just as releavant today as it was then. I'm concerned that the ride may not be there much longer with Disney's out with the old in with the IP mentality, so my vote would be for the humble Behind the Seeds Tour.

We've done EMM at AK twice, EMM at MK, and Disney AH at MK. We loved all of them and feel like it was worth the money. If I had to choose just one, I agree with the previous posters that Disney After Hours at MK was the best value and the most fun. It's wonderful to explore the park while it feels empty! We rode rides we hadn't done in years, plus all of our favorites. The only line we ever had was at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and that was maybe a 15-20 minute wait. We got all the free treats/drinks (non-alcoholic) we wanted for free from concession carts. It was fabulous!

On our August trip, we are doing MNSSHP, EMM at MK, and H2O Glow night at TL. In December, we're doing MVMCP and a dessert party on my daughter's birthday. I'm sure we'll do another after hours night, too. For us, the experiences have definitely been worth the extra money. With your family of four, if you have a tight budget, the H2O Glow night, might be the perfect fit.

Title says it all - never done a dessert party, EMM, after hours, tour, etc. We've always found more than enough to entertain ourselves with regular park admission and on site hotel, but I am feeling like we should try *something* this trip. What is your favorite? For reference, it's DH, me, 14yo, 12yo, kids not super into Star Wars, our park preference, in order, is Epcot (what a surprise!), AK, MK, HS.
My favorite is Disney after hours, followed closely by early morning magic.

I've also done the fireworks dessert party (with dessert after fireworks), early morning magic, MVMCP, MNSSHP, and the elephant tour at animal kingdom (up close with giants? I don't recall the name off hand, but the ability to observe the elephants and take good pictures was amazing).

But all of these events feel special. Just spending time with your kids in disney is special, they grow up so quickly!

Behind the Seeds at Ep is a cheap way to spend an hour if you'd like to learn about WDW's horticulture and a few fishes. Plenty of ppl love it. I thought it was great.

The Mk Dessert Party for fireworks is pretty decent.

Since you're not SW fans, maybe the SW dessert party is not the way to go, although it is better than the MK dessert party.

Ever done Hoop De Doo?

Emm at Hollyweird is worth every penny of you like the rides. You pretty much get a walk-on for TOT and RNR at park opening if you'd like. The food is better than it needs to be, as well.

Loved the SW dessert party at HS- doing it again this year. Desserts plus savories plus all you want alcohol plug gift of a mug as well as cool atmosphere and reserved seating. Trying the MK dessert party also this year.... did one now want to do them all! But it’s just two of us so not so pricey. The MK AH looks good- lots of rides, the AK not so much since so many less rides available. The EMM hours look great tho too.... there is a MK food tour that isn’t as expensive as some, as well as two different tours at AK (elephants and rhinos).
So much to choose from, so little time (and $$).
Let us know what you decide!

MK After Hours is the best value ticketed event in my opinion. Second would be the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. Stay far away from the Dessert Parties (again, my opinion)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter