"We've gone too far"-A sister trip with surprise guest Irma! Sept 2017 - Completed 4/16

Day 0, Part 3 “First rule of World of Disney – you don’t separate!”

[Note: at this point my sister comes back into the story, so she was taking photos too…unfortunately I haven’t grabbed those from her (despite asking her every other day), and she is now in North Carolina for a week so I don’t know if I’ll get them in time to post this update. If not, I’ll add any relevant photos in a separate post]

We ended up getting room 5250 in the 2nd floor of the 60s section. I was pretty happy with this location. It was an easy walk down to the stairs at the end of the floor which was then easy to walk thru the main lobby to the buses. It was also quiet, as it just looked over pathways, not the pool. I always find it funny how pool views are more expensive, as I would pay more to NOT deal with the pool noise! But I guess families like that, so to each their own!

YUxEYhs.png

Also, some thoughts on the room. It was fine for 2 nights. But it was definitely small. We did have the inconvenience of tripping over our bags, as we didn’t want to unpack for the short stay, but still, it was a very cramped space. When you opened the door you would almost hit the bed and the bathroom was way too small for us. My hat’s off to families who are able to stay there for a longer period of time! I think the renovated rooms are probably nicer, especially because you can fold up the murphy bed and store things under the beds, giving more space.

ieMZBHn.jpg

I also found it funny house they had the Skyliner adverts already in the rooms, even though they had just started the foundation construction! I guess maybe they are doing it partly to explain any construction areas, and partly to encourage people to come back and stay there after it’s done.

dhviwfP.jpg
N25rR58.jpg

By the time I got into our room, my sister had texted me that she had just gotten on a DME bus. That’s how long the wait took in the lobby! I took my time grabbing out some stuff I’d need for the next 2 nights, but left the majority of the bags unpacked. Then I meandered over to the lobby to wait for her bus. Walked through the food court, where I was able to see just how necessary that case of water was :furious:. My co-worker was not apologetic at all!

XTtOdoL.jpg

Then waited a bit for my sister, as well as admiring the fun golf cart! Doesn’t seem that it runs though!

bIlpXHt.jpg

My sister arrived about 9pm, and we dropped the last bags in the room. Lauren originally wanted to go for a dip in the Hippy Dippy Pool, but we were also both hungry. I said, we could either do the food court at Pop or head over to Disney Springs, which was still open until midnight, and hope to get pool time later. Thankfully she agreed to Disney Springs, as we knew we could get stuck with basic food during the hurricane!

By 9:20 we got on a bus to Disney Springs, with my sister wearing her Happy Birthday button proudly! The bus driver was so cute and made sure to play a special Happy Birthday announcement on the bus! There also ended up just being one other couple on the bus, so an almost private ride.

We quickly got to Disney Springs, but then I got us a bit lost trying to find our dinner spot! Definitely went down some dead-ends and retraced our steps:

NlT6tBB.png

But anyways, we finally made it to our destination: Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’

8wla6Tm.jpg

I had a reservation for this on our original arrival night, so was happy to be able to do it this night! It was a very busy night, so we had to wait a whole 30 seconds to be seated! :hourglass

I ended up getting the Art’s Famous Fried Chicken [Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuits, and love]. I decided to skip a drink, as I just didn’t feel like any of the shine cocktails or beers.

gphImHX.jpg

I thought it was good, but not eye-opening amazing. My fried chicken was well done, with the drumstick being very moist and the breast being more on the dry side (but not in a bad way). The first few bites of the mashed potatoes were good, but then the butter was a bit overwhelming! Loved the cheddar biscuits though!

Lauren got the Fried Chicken Sandwich but substituted fries for the chips [Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours and double-battered, dressed with hot sauce aioli, aioli, iceberg lettuce, tomato and bread and butter pickles served with house-made barbecue chips drizzled with icebox dressing]. She also got a pint of Funky Buddha Floridian.

g6K5lJk.jpg

6W7QE1c.jpg

She liked the sandwich, but thought the hot sauce aioli wasn’t hot enough. Once she added some of the hot sauce which was left on the table it was better. I want to say she got some sort of sauce on the side (probably the icebox dressing) to dip her fries in, but I don’t have a picture of that! She said the beer was good and mild, which is what she wanted at that moment.

While we were eating I was checking the various Disney blog twitter accounts and saw Rose Gold Ears had been released that afternoon! Once we were done we decided to check out D Living to see if they were still there. Unfortunately not, as they had sold out within a few hours of them being put out. Oh well, I’m sure if I wait a few months there will be plenty at Disneyland, just like how the rose tumblrs sold out in hours every time they were in stock, but now they have shelves and shelves of them!

We did check out the interchangeable bow ears and my sister liked them but not enough to buy any. Maybe I’ll get her a set for Christmas, but we don’t tend to do Minnie Bows in our family (have to take them off too often for rides).

PnAC1C0.jpg

I had also originally wanted to stop at the Ganachery to get a s’more for dessert, but I was still full from dinner and thought the s’mores are best eaten fresh, so we skipped that.

Around 10:45 we made our way over to World of Disney, passing Amorette’s on the way. My original plan was to grab a sweet and take it back to the room, and I figured we would have time later, as Disney Springs was open until 12! Well, forgot to realize, DS was open to 12, but the shops were closing at 11! So by the time we left World of Disney, it was closed! :sad:

We did a bit of wandering around World of Disney. It is definitely huge and we did get separated when I went to look at Star Wars stuff and Lauren stayed to look at necklaces. Despite low crowds, it took a bit to find each other and that’s when we decided “First rule of World of Disney-don’t get separated!” We actually didn’t buy anything that night, but Lauren wanted to check out magic bands. We thought most designs would be at the Pin Traders, but left WoD after 11, so everything was closing! Oh well!

Some comparisons to the World of Disney at Downtown Disney (CA). FL is definitely bigger, but I don’t think the amount of merchandise is that different. Just in FL its more spread out within the store, which makes it easier to walk, as well as having plenty of other stores at the Springs which can have more specialty goods (so kitchenwares at Mickey's Pantry and pins at the Pin Traders). WoD in CA is very claustrophobic (has high ceilings there are just so many people and so many racks/tables/shelves you are constantly bumping into things)! So, point to WDW!

At that point we realized everything was closing so it was time to head back to Pop! We were lucky and the Pop and AoA buses had been moved to Stall 1, with a bus loading at that time. We were able to get on, but then this huge family also boarded (like 20 people), who were still collecting people from down the walkway so they held the bus until everyone arrived. Then they were going to AoA which was the second stop, and didn’t realize they needed to move out of the way for people getting off at Pop. :headache:

Still plenty of people in line at reservations/concierge!

LSf3jNl.jpg

When we got back to the room we were just in time to see a late repeat of Project Runway, so were able to check out the last half of the show.

Off to bed, pretty late, but we didn’t need to be up early in the morning as we both had work to do (since we had left 2 days early). But I did set my alarm for 8am just to help make the time change adjustment!

giphy.gif

Cont...Day 1 - Which park would be my first WDW experience?

Last edited:
Also, the female CM outfits-talk about sack of potatoes:confused:! Like literally it looks like a grey smock (for both women who were curvier and those who were skinny)! Some of them had maroon sweaters on, which helped things, but they just looked so uncomfortable, with very stiff, itchy fabric! For anyone who hasn’t visited Pop, here is a photo I found online-again not shaming any CM, just the uniform designers! And it seems like they do so much with the "groovy" theme, they could come up with some fun outfits! :confused3

As a former cast member at Pop, I absolutely loved it there, but I hated the "costumes!" So I completely agree! They were itchy and didn't fit correctly. Probably my most hated uniform I have ever had to wear.

As a former cast member at Pop, I absolutely loved it there, but I hated the "costumes!" So I completely agree! They were itchy and didn't fit correctly. Probably my most hated uniform I have ever had to wear.

Yeah, I felt bad for the CMs! But they were definitely super friendly, always having a smile on their faces even when they were obviously working insanely hard dealing with frustrated and stressed guests!

That was one thing I especially noticed about WDW-everyone was so friendly and happy to be of help wherever they could! Even when they obviously had to consider the impending hurricane they still wanted to make sure we were having a great time! I've only dealt with DLR CM's who I've also thought were always nice, but WDW just takes it to another level!

I always find it funny how pool views are more expensive, as I would pay more to NOT deal with the pool noise! But I guess families like that, so to each their own!

Yeah I don't really get paying more to look at the pool. There's some really nice views out there that I'd maybe pay more for but that's not one of them.

I also found it funny house they had the Skyliner adverts already in the rooms, even though they had just started the foundation construction! I guess maybe they are doing it partly to explain any construction areas, and partly to encourage people to come back and stay there after it’s done.

You mean to terrify people so they never come back again? :laughing: (If you didn't know I hate heights and that thing looks terrifying to me).

Walked through the food court, where I was able to see just how necessary that case of water was :furious:. My co-worker was not apologetic at all!

I'm glad Disney wasn't running low on stuff, I didn't think they would be.

I ended up getting the Art’s Famous Fried Chicken [Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuits, and love]. I decided to skip a drink, as I just didn’t feel like any of the shine cocktails or beers.

Yum :lovestruc

We did check out the interchangeable bow ears and my sister liked them but not enough to buy any. Maybe I’ll get her a set for Christmas, but we don’t tend to do Minnie Bows in our family (have to take them off too often for rides).

I thought these would be really cool, but looking at that picture I'm not really a fan of them. I don't think the quality of the bows is as good as the typical ears they sell or even the bows or ears I've seen sold at Hot Topic and Etsy. Maybe it's just because I'm not seeing them in person.

I figured we would have time later, as Disney Springs was open until 12! Well, forgot to realize, DS was open to 12, but the shops were closing at 11! So by the time we left World of Disney, it was closed! :sad:

I've done that before! I wish they stayed open later, because if I want to do something at night or after the parks there's never too much time left.

I am joining in! Can't wait to hear how the trip went, hurricane and all!

Gross! Why are some people so oblivious!?!?

How is that Pop?! They look Amish!
where I was able to see just how necessary that case of water was :furious:. My co-worker was not apologetic at all!

XTtOdoL.jpg
Ha! I am sure you were shaking your head at seeing that!

If it makes you feel any better, that is my husband's idea of a direct route. Him and my one daughter have terrible sense of direction. Sigh.

Can't wait to hear more!

Following along!!

OMG at the foot through the plane seat, eww! I would probably swat at the offending body part with a magazine until the owner put their foot back where it belongs- next to their seat!

POP doesn't really appeal to me much either to be honest, the new rooms are nice but at the moment it seems so cramped and dated.

Doesn't everyone get lost in World Of Disney?! I always end up wandering off and losing everybody else in my party.

Looking forward to more!

Intermission: Disneyland Halloween Decorations!

I know I promised to get into our first day at WDW, but first I have a brief intermission. I went to Disneyland for a few hours on Saturday mainly to check out the new Halloween stuff. Let me just say-Haul-o-ween is amazing! Like, I had high expectations, and it totally exceeded them! If this is Year 1, I can't wait to see what awaits us in the future!

Anyways, here are my pics, starting with California Adventure (rather than do them in order, I'll group by location so there may be day/night pics interspersed).

Entrance and Buena Vista Street:
5TpZAYH.jpg

FJfLFEV.jpg

fliMTy3.jpg

Awesome photopass props!
N8gzzib.jpg

Headless horseman!
rTcaZLN.jpg

And night. Also, there is plenty of spooky music and Oogie Boogie quotes in the main square!
vGuwxXC.jpg

E04DqGw.jpg

jybtx1U.jpg

FoaeADO.jpg

Smoke comes out of his nose and the pumpkin head!

Some characters in costume (I forgot to get Daisy and didn't see Goofy)
J4G5knp.jpg

lxpVtey.jpg

hpniGfZ.jpg

Spin the wheel pin trading
Wf4IdYd.jpg

Carsland!
OT4leh6.jpg

uzXbFMI.jpg

5nerYau.jpg

Mater's Graveyard Jamboree! They also had several Halloween songs, sung by Mater!
iEn14kN.jpg

E8gdRVl.jpg

Q2hmDh3.jpg

Love the movie posters, especially "Escape from Hitch Mountain" and "Hocus Spokus"
RpBnt52.jpg

Filmore's Taste-in (a fruit stand)
AsYgrJX.jpg

Sarge's Surplus Hut (gift shop)
UMcAaWy.jpg

pFOzTcI.jpg

Cozy Cone Motel (Each cone is a different snack stand)
FDxliJS.jpg

uwQJEjV.jpg

t6rAR0d.jpg

Got myself a Spooky Cone Macaron! (Candy corn flavored)-it was interesting, very very sweet though!
8MD8NAX.jpg

oLnmnGb.jpg

Radiator Springs Curios (another gift shop)
1ZBGvkL.jpg

XvkVryd.jpg

AxZ2Svn.jpg

Cont...

Last edited:

Cont...
Flo's V8 Cafe
zmqtUmw.jpg

XIn6FfM.jpg

Luigi's Honkin' Haul-o-ween-Supposed to have Halloween songs for this too but I wasn't listening and didn't ride!
3lBqysw.jpg

IK1XaUx.jpg

Ramon's House of Body Art (gift shop for photos and apparel)
m04aXbt.jpg

fcu8sgh.jpg

City Hall
ak7XCQz.jpg

lfjeGL6.jpg

Nighttime, which is even cooler with all the lights! There were also insane crowds of people, with lots of Photopass stops and long lines!
F4T63P0.jpg

lzllSOC.jpg

awHWlEQ.jpg

9I3YXd1.jpg

1sPwc4J.jpg

City hall has eyes, and you can't tell from the still photo, but they move around and blink!
4FxGNlU.jpg

Character costumes were also super cool! Didn't see Red the Fire Engine as a clown though!

Superhero Lighting McQueen
IB3RJbj.jpg

Vampire Mater
DuypIx2.jpg

Punk-rock Ramone
8WI1aRX.jpg

Pirate Cruz
BgwvZq7.jpg

Ok, and over to Disneyland! Most of the decorations were the same as previous years. A lot don't show up though until the Halloween Party (which we're going to on Friday the 13th!)

Entrance turnstile pumpkins a la Fab Five
lmJs1P4.jpg

I think my favorite was Goofy
eGwA4hG.jpg

Huge pumpkin in Town Square (Flag retreat ceremony was just finishing)
6JOCXxf.jpg

Partners statue with a pumpkin and character representing each land.
s24V1qC.jpg

I think my favorite was Winnie the Pooh for Critter Country. You can also see even the back of the pumpkin has a matching design!
xnzEIDN.jpg
7QmDQQr.jpg

They also had Tarzan (Adventureland), Woody (Frontierland), Buzz (Tomorrowland), Jack Skellington (New Orleans Square), Tinkerbell (Fantasyland), and Roger Rabbit (Toontown)

Dia de los muertos outside Rancho del Zocalo
kKz9hqQ.jpg

And I stopped at the French Market for the Oogie Boogie dessert! Chocolate mouse, green cake, chocolate pudding and cookie crumbles--soooo good! I will absolutely get again!
g20uZkH.jpg

pzGbG2s.jpg

I only rode a couple rides-Mater, Buzz, Railroad. Also did Monsters After Dark, which was amazing! Luckily I was able to get a fastpass or else it would have been a 2.5 hr line!

Ok, I'll continue on with the WDW trip soon!

Last edited:
CA looks so adorable. I love the sugar skull in front of Ramon's. Thanks for sharing all your pics!

Wow - DL and CA blow WDW out of the water for Halloween decorations!! I also love that they turn the HM into the Nightmare before Christmas theme for the holidays there.

You mean to terrify people so they never come back again? :laughing: (If you didn't know I hate heights and that thing looks terrifying to me).

Right-I forgot about that! Though if it's like most modern tramways it shouldn't feel too bad. I've done the London Eye and even though that goes up crazy high, it is so secure and closed in it doesn't feel that bad!

I thought these would be really cool, but looking at that picture I'm not really a fan of them. I don't think the quality of the bows is as good as the typical ears they sell or even the bows or ears I've seen sold at Hot Topic and Etsy. Maybe it's just because I'm not seeing them in person.

I saw someone wearing them this weekend and I'm definitely with you now! They didn't look that great! Huge overpuffed bow and small felty ears. I do think etsy shops are super cute though and I like supporting people's side hobbies.

CA looks so adorable. I love the sugar skull in front of Ramon's.

It was adorable! For Ramon's in the windows they have car hoods that show examples of his paint jobs. The ones that are there currently are all Day of the Dead themed. Unfortunately there was too much of a glare to get a good photo!

Wow - DL and CA blow WDW out of the water for Halloween decorations!! I also love that they turn the HM into the Nightmare before Christmas theme for the holidays there.

Yeah, they really outdid themselves this year. There also was a lot more Day of the Dead stuff at Paradise Pier but I didn't make it that far back. And New Orleans Square gets lots of Nightmare before christmas decorations, which is super cool! A big difference is that you can really feel Halloween even on a normal day, not a party night. It could also be because Halloween is a pretty big deal in SoCal. The weather is so nice that most people are able to trick or treat and our house alone gets over 1,000 trick or treaters (yes, that was not an exaggeration, we buy over 1,000 pieces of candy, give out 1 per kid and run out). So I could imagine the Imagineers in charge of design had great Halloween memories and wanted to carry that over to Disney!

Right-I forgot about that! Though if it's like most modern tramways it shouldn't feel too bad. I've done the London Eye and even though that goes up crazy high, it is so secure and closed in it doesn't feel that bad!

:rotfl: I still don’t think I want to ride in it. We’ll see when they open it.

I saw someone wearing them this weekend and I'm definitely with you now! They didn't look that great! Huge overpuffed bow and small felty ears. I do think etsy shops are super cute though and I like supporting people's side hobbies.

Good to know! That’s disappointing though because I like the idea. I’ve got a lot of cute ones from etsy (they’re a lot more comfortable and more normal sized than the ones Disney sells too). Disney has been making better ones and more of a variety lately, but a couple I’ve bought from Disney just look way too big/tall on me.

Btw I love Vampire Mater it’s so cute!

I am so jealous that you are close enough to either park that you can just "stop in"!!!! And OMG, Disneyland decorations are a thousand times better than World!

Oh, I know how you felt. I stalked Irma via the weather channel the whole week ahead. I surprised my best friend with a trip for her 50th birthday. We were supposed to fly out Sunday as Irma was coming in. I was so stessed that week, my friend couldn’t figure out why I was worried about a hurricane when we were going Branson, Mo. that was my cover story so she would pack appropriately. As it worked out I was able to change our flight and room to Tuesday thru Saturday, I told her on Friday night we were going. 2 years of planning and scheming, I was not going to let Irma ruin.

hi%2Bthere.gif

HI Lesley following along.

And every half hour I could never stop asking myself: Am I crazy?
I think most of us would be questioning that, but can't blame you.

“Baby’s first hurricane?” “Yup, gotta break her in!”
:lmao:

The person behind me decided they were going to stick their bare feet through the arm rest!
Gross just gross.

When they took their foot down though to get a drink I made sure to lift up the arm rests so they couldn’t do that anymore!
:woohoo:

Love all of your Pics of CA decor.

Doesn't everyone get lost in World Of Disney?! I always end up wandering off and losing everybody else in my party.

It is a wonderful place to get lost though :tongue:

I am so jealous that you are close enough to either park that you can just "stop in"!!!!

It is nice but also very dangerous! My company also has an office 1.5 miles away from the parks, so whenever I work out of there I stop by for dinner/a ride or two! There was one afternoon (I mentioned in my PTR) that I was bored at work (well, not so much bored, as procrastinating), and noticed Guardians of the Galaxy had a 20 minute wait! So I grabbed my stuff and headed right over there and spent the late afternoon at Disney instead of work!

Oh, I know how you felt. I stalked Irma via the weather channel the whole week ahead. I surprised my best friend with a trip for her 50th birthday. We were supposed to fly out Sunday as Irma was coming in. I was so stessed that week, my friend couldn’t figure out why I was worried about a hurricane when we were going Branson, Mo. that was my cover story so she would pack appropriately. As it worked out I was able to change our flight and room to Tuesday thru Saturday, I told her on Friday night we were going. 2 years of planning and scheming, I was not going to let Irma ruin.

I hope you guys had fun even with the slight change of plans! It was very stressful for those few days before, but once I got on the flight to Orlando I knew there was no going back and just had to deal with it!

Sorry, I was going to post an update this morning but Imgur is giving me difficulties uploading pics! Hopefully I'll get it out tonight!

Ok...I lied, Imgur cooperated and I could finally post!

Day 1 – Part 1: “How can I be expected to work at Disneyworld?”

My alarm went off at 8am on our first full day at WDW! We didn’t have anywhere to be that morning, but I wanted to get used to the time difference so couldn’t sleep in. And in reality, I was pretty excited, so didn’t have many problems getting up! Lauren and I also both didn’t sleep well because we were freezing! We had never checked the thermostat so it was set at 62 the whole night and each of us thought that’s the way the other one wanted it so never got up to change it! Those Disney A/Cs definitely get the job done! :crazy2:

I got up first and got ready, then while my sister got ready I stopped down at the Pop! food court to pick up breakfast to-go. It was definitely nice being in the preferred room location as it was a quick walk over there and back. Also, being on the 2nd floor meant we had some privacy but also didn’t have many stairs to go up/down, so really only used the elevators when we had our bags!

I picked up a Bounty Platter [Scrambled Eggs, Mickey Waffles, Bacon, Sausage, Potato Casserole and a Buttermilk Biscuit] for us to share. Something to note for Pop (and I think other food courts too)-there were multiple stations set up, each of which had a Bounty Platter, and each had a different item: waffles, pancakes, or French toast. I wanted the waffles and luckily that was also the shortest line, so was able to grab that. They also had lids handy that fit perfectly on the plates to easily take back to the room.

0DaWB7R.jpg

The Bounty Platter was a great size for the two of us and because we were back at the room, we were able to pick at it and divide as worked best for us. Each of us got a waffle; Lauren liked the potato casserole and I liked the scrambled eggs; she likes bacon more, so I gave most of mine to her; neither of us liked the sausage patty and the biscuit was just a basic one.

NbBJ7ug.jpg

I also like how we both ate the ears off our Mickey Waffles first! I think that was my first Mickey Waffle-I’m usually not at DLR by breakfast time-and really liked it! Nice and thick with the right combo of fluffy/dense!

QZasldo.jpg

I also picked up a Tie-Dye Cheesecake, because why not! Wasn’t as much a fan of that, and neither was my sister (and she is a big cheesecake fan). I think the obvious amounts of dye just put us off, so we really only ended up taking a few bites.

de5R9aL.jpg

Next order of business-work! Originally we were still supposed to be working this day (as well as the day before), so we both brought our work laptops to work remotely. My sister was able to get some stuff done via in-plane internet the previous day, as well as had other things to do during the day and a phone call at 1:30 pm. So, she diligently started working away.

W7fJwa9.jpg

I, on the other hand, always have an issue working remotely. My boss allows it, but my setup at work involves multiple screens and spreading everything out, which I just have a harder time doing on a single laptop screen (it’s not impossible, just harder). I also get distracted really easily. So, while my sister took over the table and worked, I ended up doing this…

owJyDDi.jpg

Eventually I gave up on the work and tried to write up a map-cheat sheet for Epcot food and wine based on the booths we were most interested in and their general locations. Of course I would end up forgetting it every time we went to Epcot!

:offtopic:*Oh, and in case you are wondering how I could just take off work suddenly for 2 days, its a result of a few things. First, my boss is awesome and super casual. His motto is basically, if you get your work done, I don't care when you do it! And our work hours can definitely fluctuate depending on if we are doing inspections/design/whatever, so its not uncommon for people to come in at noon or have inspections that start at 4am! And second, I have plenty of vacation time banked. I took only 2 days off last year and while my company only lets you roll over 1 week (I get a little over 2 weeks per year) California has a lovely little rule that companies can't take away vacation time once they've given it to you, so I rolled over about 15 days (I still had 5 extra days from the previous year). That, plus the additional 10 days meant I could take 25 days this year and be just fine!*

YpOCCPC.jpg

I finally got too bored, so decided to take a walk around and check out the rest of Pop! and maybe Art of Animation.

First, part of our building (Sixties), including the Yo-Yo stairs we would always use (you can see the food court on the right side) and Surfer Goofy (our room would have been on the second level all the way to the left).

ZBgL4BR.jpg
ZjLJ1vt.jpg
geBrfJG.jpg

Next Seventies, with its tape-player stairs, disco cutouts, foosball lawn, and big wheel. I really liked the Twister setup, and could see families having fun (maybe on a less humid day).

Wpwtn2a.jpg
oVagRJo.jpg
1rZQxnk.jpg
chuiqYg.jpg

You can see they are starting the renovation on the seventies rooms, as one of the buildings was closed.

bWKmhhN.jpg

Onto Eighties. Had to stop by sign for the year I was born; Mr and Mrs Potato Head (as well as an awkward selfie).

1fOFOoE.jpg
57aLYgb.jpg
gr35TFO.jpg

I thought the Rubiks Cube stairs were cool, and lit up nicely at night (but never got a photo of that).

7dR1OHT.jpg

Icons-walkman and Roger Rabbit with a keyboard soft-top surface (what do they even call that?). Probably good for kids needing to run out their energy, but for me it felt like it just reflected heat more without giving any shade!

2BJfFC5.jpg
DNv1Qk1.jpg
oYfBg4V.jpg

Computer pool was about to open when I got there. Pretty basic, square pool, but I guess it’s better than having to walk all the way to Hippy Dippy!

FtHqFkf.jpg

Nineties, only a single building for that decade, with the laptop icon. Didn’t get a pic of the stairs, but I think they were cell phones.

aQDlRIy.jpg

I continued heading around the lake to check out Art of Animation. It was a pretty peaceful day, and while a bit humid, not as bad as it would get the next week! When a breeze came through it was downright pleasant!

Saw this parked in the lot and I thought it was funny (I know it was for hurricane, but what good is it doing in Orlando?)

DCX2cxh.jpg

Plenty of construction workers coming and going, with most of the 90s lot blocked out for supplies/equipment. I overheard some guests complaining at lack of parking near their rooms because of the construction.

svgG5wM.jpg

Around to the Art of Animation. I thought the theming in the center of the buildings was super cute! And while the outside walls were just a blank rectangular wall with windows, at least the drawings gave it life! I also liked the sketchpad stair coverings!

m46RAyb.jpg

Into the Cars Section. It was cool to see, but after spending so much time in Cars Land, where the cars actually move, it’s a little underwhelming! Also, sorry for the darkness of some of the photos, you can see some clouds coming in!

PF0Jg6z.jpg
J9zY9Ce.jpg
chfmWFq.jpg
WcLVGib.jpg
1efakN3.jpg
jSfcI2D.jpg
3LFqf7j.jpg
WQ69b86.jpg

Cont...

Day 1, Part 2 "Stop giving me the side-eye, bird! I'm not causing the construction!"

Next the Nemo section. As I started to get into this area it began to sprinkle and there ended up being a lightning alert so the pools were emptied. It continued to spritz here and there as I walked around AoA, but nothing that really bothered me!

wxRGMij.jpg
6pZCA6v.jpg
BCiBWGt.jpg
zLxgaZV.jpg
z7nyuUB.jpg
7ItyEgb.jpg
DJP3DlU.jpg
Cj7p0tA.jpg

And the Lion King section. This was probably my favorite. I loved how the foliage for each section was specifically themed towards its movie, so it felt like a jungle for Lion King. Also even the details like the paving for the pathways with the imprint of ferns in Lion King and paved roads in Cars.

qrIlHGp.jpg
lJL87wm.jpg
i0LpeZf.jpg
EKjqZsE.jpg
MwOeNyB.jpg
7uQq78N.jpg
1C4Nkjn.jpg
q6tK7Hd.jpg

And finally the Little Mermaid. This was also definitely cute. Loved how the bushes resembled coral reefs/ocean plants!

RU7BQY6.jpg
5nMNfe4.jpg
X2DrCib.jpg
gu51OHd.jpg
o8ZQZQh.jpg
VqhmLyC.jpg
07iGFzE.jpg

My thoughts on Art of Animation (just from outside, I never actually went into the main building). It is super cute! If I had kids that were totally into these movies I would consider staying here. Only problem is the price! Its definitely more on par with moderates/deluxes, and I know you get a suite, but it still would seem pretty cramped. I would much rather pay the same amount for a moderate or deluxe rather than a suite here. But again, that’s just me, who doesn’t have kids to consider!

Continued walking around the lake and I came in a construction area. Wondering if this may be part of the Skyliner project? Also, this bird gave me such side-eye it was funny!

FZXjfYO.jpg
ywBfQsm.jpg
iP32Qba.jpg

Ok, finally back around and over to the Pop-Fifties section! Bowling pin pool had also been closed due to lightning.

uqNdCjy.jpg
FE4Cq4t.jpg
BK1bpCA.jpg

I thought Lady and Tramp icons were cute. But it just seems weird to me how some of Pop is Disney icons and some is generic decade items. I get that those movies came out during that time, but it seems like it should be one or the other?

pbqKqbX.jpg
RDXK0YW.jpg

And back to Sixties and Hippy Dippy Pool plus splash pad.

YM9lzDp.jpg
Ci3JKw8.jpg
BViZQ2k.jpg
lXvFT6X.jpg

Cont... In which we finally go to the parks!

Humm I've seen pictures of these resorts but never noticed how the landscaping works into the theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!