"We've gone too far"-A sister trip with surprise guest Irma! Sept 2017 - Completed 4/16

The alien one is really just adorable!!! I remember people FREAKING out about the enchanted rose one when it came out. It was cool, but I wasn't insane about it....the alien one has me a little nutty. Like, hmmm, can I book a trip to just make sure I get one?! LOL

I agree with the coke over root beer float!! We used to have a place that made coke floats instead of root beer if you preferred. mmmmmmmmm.
Well, if they have enough when I'm at Disneyland, I'll grab you one too! But I'll need to see if they have special "Pixar Fest" logos on them; then it's not as fun as the Toy Story Land ones!

Work has been crazy, so I haven't had time to do the last update yet! Hopefully tomorrow!

I am really enjoying this trip report! Thank you so much. I also learned something new... Mobile ordering?
It started last summer, and is great! Basically thru the app you can order at most quick-service restaurants. You pay and then send in your order and you go to a separate counter rather than the main one. Usually much shorter lines! I think in January they finally opened it up to dining plan users, so have had busier lines, but still faster than waiting in them!

No way! I was so excited to read this!! I think I've read all the trip reports written by you and @StarWarsMomofGirls! and I feel like I know you guys. I'm sure it was a good time! :goodvibes
We did! Because we've read each others reports, it really felt like meeting an old friend!

I think a lot of us Trip Reporters are guilty of this. It's a lot easier to take lots of pictures and pick and choose our favorites than only take a few and be unhappy with the selection.
I know! I went to copy over Lauren's photos and she would have like one shot from things and I was so confused. :rotfl: I'm already scared about how many photos I'm going to take in France!

Your lunch did look pretty good, and it amazed me how long that regular line was compared to how quickly you got your mobile order. I would think more people would be utilizing the system...
I think it was because the system was still relatively new (a few months old). Also dining plan users couldn't redeem credits using it, so there may have been people who choose not to use it.

The okapi in time out is so funny! Glad you had a great safari!

Sounds like a nice way to end your last moments in the park!
Yeah, he was pretty funny!

Yay for getting one last awesome safari! You'll definitely have to do one at dusk, it's such an interesting atmosphere and the lions usually are out during that time. (Side note: FIONA YAAAASSS. Queen.)
It's funny-everytime you say, make sure to check this out, I laugh a little, since I got to do it in March! It'll just be a bit before I can get to that day!

Well I just spent a whole bunch of time reading your trip report over the last few days! :thanks: I'm hoping to take our first trip to Disney World next year so I really liked reading it from a first timer's perspective. I've only done Disneyland since it's so much closer but I need at least one trip to the World!
I appreciate you taking the time to put all of that together! The dessert party info was especially helpful.
Ok, now on to your solo report... maybe I should wait until I'm off work for the week... :rolleyes1
Welcome! I definitely read a lot of trip reports preparing for WDW! And it's fun to relive my trips! At least for the solo TR, I'm just getting started so not too many posts yet!

I'm a little behind but catching up...I'm going to post about the most recent posts though and then work my way back!

6piGTEj.jpg

The sandwich was good, not ground breaking, but basic and appreciated on that hot day! There was also a family there who was being so noisy and annoying and then they left all their trash everywhere even though they had to pass 3 trash cans to get out the door! So inconsiderate! :furious:
That sandwich does look pretty good! Sometimes I feel the need for a good mozz sandwich but I admit when I'm in Backlot Express, the Dark Side always wins.
That is sooo annoying about those people. I can't believe how many rude people there are in Disney parks! It's sad.

Looking at the design for the Alien ride I realized it’s going to be the same ride mechanism as Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. That’s one of my sister’s favorite rides so she was excited (though I don’t know when she will get back to WDW).

My sister too! She loved Mater's ride!! She'd ride it solo all the time when we were in DCA. I thought it was fun too but I don't think I can go more than once or twice.

I thought it was fine, but wasn’t too impressed as I’ve seen the Frozen show at DCA which is spectacular! I also didn’t think the jokes were too funny, and the audience in my section wasn’t singing along! That snow storm at the end was cool though! And it was a nice A/C and seated respite!

Oh for sure Frozen in DCA is amazing! This one is definitely more like an after-thought during the height of the Frozen hype. I'm seeing Frozen on Broadway this summer. Can't wait!

I haven’t decided yet if I like this ride or not. I like the idea of it, but still got a headache from the intensity. I rerode Screamin to see if it was the same, but I think Screamin is a) less intense, and b) you can see where you are going, so know how to brace yourself. Screamin is also a larger in square footage so it doesn’t need as many sharp turns!

I like RnRC and I can't seem to ride Screamin. I think I do better in the dark and I have no idea how far I'm falling...haha.

My favorites were the mini financiers. I also got a bunch more cheese skewers, but wish they had just the blocks of cheese like at HEA. I didn’t hate this party, but didn’t like it as much as I thought. I think if there had been seats it would have been a slam dunk for me though!

I like this party because it's indoors and the food is good. I do wish there were seats though.

But his meet was very much a roar-take a few photos-wave goodbye! No hug or anything! Sort of disappointed there.

No Chewie hug?!? No!!

I did like the show, but agree there was not enough pyro. Like they should have more during the projections not projection – pyro – projection – projection -pyro , etc

Think this is the consensus everyone has with this show. I liked it when it was all fireworks. That was awesome.

First, some real-life update: Got to have a great Disneyland day on Saturday, meeting up with @StarWarsMomofGirls! and her awesome family! I'll leave most things for her eventual TR, but the girls did get me on Grizzly River Rapids (basically Kali River Rapids, just different theming). And did you know that there's a geyser in the middle of the river near the end. And it goes off occasionally, with no shutoff for a raft approaching? Because I didn't!

Awesome! That you met up with Ariella, not that you got soaked, although it looks like a lot of fun! I don't like being in the parks when wet so I usually avoid water rides,

So, first, I can’t believe we spent 11 days at Walt Disney World! At times it seemed so long, but yet passed by so fast! But it had been an awesome trip!

Wow that does sound like a dream trip for me. You were able to accomplish so much despite the hurricane!

While we were doing all of that, Lauren suddenly looked at me, panicked-where’s my phone?!? Did I leave it in the room? She nearly passed out in humiliation when I pointed to the counter, where she had just put her phone down after checking her flight time! Even the CMs were laughing hysterically!

Haha both myself and Steve have done that multiple times.

We finally got to the bus stop around 9:30 or so. I did have a bit of an awkward interaction with a couple. I was standing, wearing shorts, so my legs were exposed. I think we were chatting with the husband and wife about their park plans that day. After we explained we had gone on Flight of Passage 3 times so far, she stopped and pointed to my legs and her husband-see, she was able to go! She was a larger woman too, and I guess she didn’t fit on the ride vehicle because her calves were too big. I didn’t quite know what to do about that…um, sorry? So, we ended up standing around awkwardly in silence until our busses came! :confused3

OMG sooo awkward. I bet you couldn't wait to get off the bus!

Once we got in, I stopped to mail the postcards we had finished. In addition to a few for Max and Alice, I had volunteered to cover someone’s Fairy Godmailer duties. We were both in the September facebook group and she had cancelled her trip due to Irma, so needed someone to send some cards from Mickey and friends to 3 little boys. Lauren had fun writing them up, and I wish I had taken a photo of the messages!

Aww how sweet of you guys!

Once that was finished I stopped at the drink stand next door to pick up a souvenir sipper. I think I forgot to mention that I collect souvenir sippers from Disneyland, though there weren't many options at Disneyworld (at least unique to WDW). A couple days earlier I had seen that the Thirsty River Bar next to Everest had 2 options that were themed around Rivers of Light. I had a tough time choosing and got the one fancier one (on Lauren's advice). Well, I regretted not getting the other one too, so I ended up picking that up. Both of them light up, which is very nice! Once I decided to buy the second one Lauren said she had bet with herself that I would end up going back for it! (the photo below also shows the Navi Flute Cup which I also got later on that day).

They are so cool! I love the light up ones. I tend to do the popcorn buckets but I am running out of room, LOL.

I love this picture!!!!!

But I think it is my favorite ride at WDW!

Flight of Passage does take that high honor for me too. At least until Galaxy's Edge is here. High hopes for that one.

We also did mobile ordering, which saved soooo much time!

It does!! I really like it.

Both Lauren and I ended up getting the beef bowl with rice. Because I’m weird, I got mine without vegetable slaw, while Lauren got hers without the boba pearls (they originally forgot mine, so added that to the side once I asked). I got the chimichurri sauce and Lauren got the black bean vinaigrette; both of us got them on the side so we could try them both. Lauren loved the black bean sauce, so after I said I didn’t care as much, she poured it over the top of hers.

I really like the bowls here and how much you can customize them. Glad you enjoyed your meals!

Well, if they have enough when I'm at Disneyland, I'll grab you one too! But I'll need to see if they have special "Pixar Fest" logos on them; then it's not as fun as the Toy Story Land ones!
OOOOH, yes!! :) That would be awesome!! (without the Pixar Fest logo) Keep me posted :)

I'm a little behind but catching up...I'm going to post about the most recent posts though and then work my way back!
Of course! Take your time, I'll still be here!

That is sooo annoying about those people. I can't believe how many rude people there are in Disney parks! It's sad.
It really is! The CMs work hard enough, it sucks when people make their jobs even harder

Oh for sure Frozen in DCA is amazing! This one is definitely more like an after-thought during the height of the Frozen hype. I'm seeing Frozen on Broadway this summer. Can't wait!
Oooh, sounds like fun!

I like RnRC and I can't seem to ride Screamin. I think I do better in the dark and I have no idea how far I'm falling...haha.
Haha, I have a friend too who can't do rides with heights when he can see them. So he will ride Space Mountain, but take the chicken exit for Splash.

Awesome! That you met up with Ariella, not that you got soaked, although it looks like a lot of fun! I don't like being in the parks when wet so I usually avoid water rides
I normally avoid water rides, but it was worth it to see the girls happy screams!

Wow that does sound like a dream trip for me. You were able to accomplish so much despite the hurricane!
It definitely was a great length of time. I am doing a 10-night in December, which hopefully won't get interrupted by any storms!

OMG sooo awkward. I bet you couldn't wait to get off the bus!
At least it was just at the bus stop, and I think they were headed to a different park! I mean, I get the annoyance with FoP if you've waited that long and then didn't fit, but it was definitely awkward!

Aww how sweet of you guys!
It was fun to help out spreading magic to some kids!

They are so cool! I love the light up ones. I tend to do the popcorn buckets but I am running out of room, LOL.
I considered popcorn, but am glad I didn't because of space! I may have to make an exception for the Pixar Fest Sully bucket because the base connects directly into the Mike Wasowski sipper!

Flight of Passage does take that high honor for me too. At least until Galaxy's Edge is here. High hopes for that one.
I always feel weird when I say my favorite ride also happens to be the newest one (like Guardians at DLR)! But hey, that's why the imagineers designed them!

Day 11, Part 5 - A chilly plane ride!

After leaving Animal Kingdom, we got a bus quickly back to POFQ, and actually probably could have gotten the 2:10 MDE bus, instead of the 3:10 we were scheduled for, but we decided to relax at the resort instead (I actually had a reservation on the 4:10 bus because my flight didn't leave til later, but there was room on the 3:10 bus).

Sil1NqQ.jpg

I finally got some photos of the alligators!

U6avzrA.jpg
qXrLT2M.jpg
TbNGQOM.jpg
IEvADzg.jpg
sfTadB4.jpg
GxEjDRF.jpg

We considered sitting on the edge of the pool, but there is a 6" wide lip around it, so it wouldn’t have been very comfortable! So, I never ended up setting foot in the Doubloon Lagoon! :( We did, however, sit at the edge of the empty hot tub, which was definitely warmer than post-hurricane! I wish I had done that more often, as it would have helped my sore feet!

iUR6YIJ.jpg

Finally, we made our way back into the lobby, where I watched cartoons (I think this is what the Runaway Railroad is going to be based on), while Lauren got changed into airplane clothes. See, I made the key mistake of not putting jeans/sweater in my carry-on, so it would end up being a chilly flight home!

R4Vv4p9.jpg

Well, finally, at 3:10 on the dot, our Tragical Express bus pulled up. It wasn’t too crowded, so we were able to each get our own row.

ydmN8yk.jpg
DrBjiRY.jpg

As we pulled away from POFQ I made the (hilarious in retrospect) statement-I loved WDW, but I think I could make it an every-5 years sort of trip!

giphy.gif

I know we had another quick stop at Port Orleans Riverside, but then it was onto MCO. Once we got there Lauren and I said our goodbyes, as we were in different terminals; my flight also left an hour after hers, so I knew I had plenty of time to wander over. I did stop at Chick Fil A to grab a sandwich (and actually started to reach out my wrist to pay via Magicband before stopping and trying to play it off like I was grabbing napkins)!

1C93D1V.jpg

When I finally made my way over to the gate, I watched some tv on my phone and didn’t notice when someone came and sat next to me. Later I was going to grab a bag of chips at the stand next to the gate so turned to the woman and asked if she could watch my bag. Well-it was Kristin Chirico again-the Buzzfeed editor Lauren and I had met on the bus outside Grand Floridian! It was so funny and both of us did a double take! I would end up chatting with her and her husband until we boarded the plane, and we all bonded over Disney, including being DLR Annual Passholders.

I also lucked out again on an undersold flight, and ended up with a complete row to myself (I was monitoring seat assignments throughout the afternoon and was hoping to get an empty row (or at least an empty middle seat); when the center seat next to me got taken I actually realized the "economy comfort" rows were totally empty, so if I paid $30 for the upgrade I would likely get another empty row)! And the row in front of me was also empty! Eventually some teachers from the high school group who was sitting behind me (though the kids were very well behaved) would take over those rows, but I still got to stretch out on mine! And no feet sticking thru the armrests :crazy2:!

laK9xFo.jpg

It was an uneventful flight back, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Hidden Figures. I considered watching a new movie (FYI-Delta has an awesome entertainment selection), but knew I was so tired I didn’t want to have to prevent myself from falling asleep! The flight attendants also got me a blanket when they saw me shivering!

giphy.gif

Once I landed at LAX, I knew there was still a 45 minute delay before Lauren would land, and we were also at different terminals again. My mom had agreed to come pick us up, but unfortunately LAX is currently doing musical chairs with its airlines (and I was actually flying Delta home, though flew Virgin America to Orlando), so while she went to Terminal 6, I actually landed at Terminal 2! I knew Lauren would fly into Terminal 1 though, so while mom moved the car, I picked up my bags and walked over to the baggage claim area for 1 (if you need a visual, LAX is set up like a “U”, Terminals 1-4 on one side, 5-8 on the other, with the huge fancy international terminal on the end; in the center are parking garages, so it’s not easy to get from Terminal 6 to Terminal 1, as there are sidewalks, but not designed to be pedestrian friendly - they are adding an automatic people mover which just got approval to proceed with design). Eventually, mom would show up, Lauren would land, and we all headed home!

giphy.gif

Day 10 - End of day Stats (forgot to post):

Health data (via app on my phone, not Fitbit):
Walked: 18,496 steps (7 miles)
Flights climbed: 4 floors

Attraction count: 7
Tower of Terror – 2
Star Tours – 1
Rock n Roller Coaster – 1
Frozen Sing Along – 1
March of the First Order – 1
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular – 1

Characters: BB-8, Chewbacca, Kylo Ren (3)
Magic Shots: Mickey/Minnie (video), K2SO, Mike Wasowski, Mickey sitting, Minnie sitting (5)

Day 11 - End of day Stats:

Walked: 14,627 (5.5 miles)
Flights climbed: 6 floors

Attraction count: 5
Expedition Everest – 2
Maharajah Jungle Trek – 1
Kilimanjaro Safari – 1
Flight of Passage – 1

Characters: 0
Magic Shots: Stitch ice cream, Banshee (2)

Total Trip Stats:

Walked: 216,901 steps (82.1 miles)
Flights climbed: 57 floors

Day with most walking: Day 9 (4-park day)

Attraction count: 107!
Day with the most attractions: Day 2 (AK and MK Pre-Irma)

Characters: 33 (so much for not being character people!)
Magic Shots: 25

Final thoughts

Well, if you couldn’t tell, this was an awesome trip! So different, and in ways, so much better, than what I expected! It was just so wonderful to be fully immersed in the Disney atmosphere, as normally my Disneyland trips are just a day or a few hours, coming back to my familiar home at night, and going back to work the next morning. This was just a lovely change of pace! And things were familiar, but also new. With many more open spaces.

giphy.gif

People constantly ask me which one do I like better: Disneyland or Disneyworld. And I truly cannot answer that. They are just two different experiences for me. Disneyland is truly my home park, and always will be. It’s my happy place. :love: If I’m having a couple bad days then I love that I can just go there and shut it all off for a bit. But Disneyworld is also very special, as it has so many new experiences left to unlock. And when I go it is a full experience, staying for multiple nights and getting away from everything.

Also, the planning issue for Disneyland vs Disneyworld. Again, this is unique to myself. I actually LOVE all the pre-planning involved in Disneyworld:crazy:! I am an organized person (in some ways, that does not apply to physical spaces like my bedroom or office :rolleyes1!), and definitely pro-spreadsheet! For me, the WDW planning is a challenge and part of the adventure! Figuring out the best ADRs, FP strategy, timing shows, etc, it really starts to make the magic real!

giphy.gif

Visiting during a hurricane: Now, I wouldn’t exactly recommend planning a trip to coincide with a hurricane, but for me, it actually helped our trip! Really lowered the crowds to a level that I don’t think we’ll ever see again. Lauren and I kept saying how spoiled we were to get to experience so many things with little to no wait times!

On that note, I was worried about how any future trips would go now that I’ve experienced the lowest crowds in years. Well, I got to see for myself in March, and while it wasn’t insanely high crowds, it was definitely more crowded. But, because we did so many things in September, I didn’t need to do them again, so I could prioritize better and also spend more time “smelling the roses”-literally in some instances!

In terms of rides, even though WDW has fewer rides than DL (47 at WDW, 55 at DLR), I felt many of them were better quality. We definitely didn’t experience as many breakdowns as you can experience on a given day at DL. However, that is certainly dependent on our unique experience, with no thunderstorms while we were in the parks. I think WDW also benefits from being newer and more purposefully built with larger room to expand. :teleport:

I also LOVED the interactive and detailed queues at WDW! The only one at DL that even begins to approach is for Indiana Jones, and that is over 20 years old. :tink:

Transportation was definitely a mixed bag. While we didn’t have any absolutely insane waits like what I’ve heard of, it still wasn’t great. I took Uber more often in March and really liked that, but it certainly costs $ after a while. :cool:

giphy.gif

Food was also a mixed bag. We had some great experiences but then some not so amazing. I mean, I don’t think anything was horrible, just I had some issues with things being too salty (but I think that was more my issue than Disney’s). Tusker House was definitely my favorite sit-down meal, though in March I had 2 meals that bumped TH down to #3! :teeth:

Cast members were excellent as always. We loved all the College Program kids as they were so happy to chat with us about anything. And anytime they found out we lived close to Disneyland they’d always ask questions, which made me feel important (haha)!

giphy.gif

My Favorites:

Rides (I have a top 5):
1) Flight of Passage
2) Kilimanjaro Safaris
3) Expedition Everest
4) Seven Dwarves Mine Train
5) Peoplemover

For Epcot, my favorite ride was Frozen Ever After, but that didn’t crack the top 5-probably the top 10 though. For Hollywood Studios, I don’t really have a favorite!

giphy.gif

And my current ranking of Disney parks I’ve visited (this is MY personal ranking, not whether they are overall better or not):

1) Disneyland
2) California Adventure (I know this could be controversial; it’s more my own personal experiences)
3) Animal Kingdom (Depending on how I’m feeling, this could swap spots with DCA)
4) Magic Kingdom
5) Epcot
6) Hollywood Studios

I’m curious to see where Disneyland Paris fits in!

Future Trips:

Well of course, I’ve already completed another trip to WDW, and am coming up soon on a trip to Disneyland Paris! Then, I have a 10-night December trip this year, which I can’t wait to see all the Christmas decorations! And even though I was never really interested in cruises, once I started reading people’s TR’s that included cruises (@chunkymonkey especially), it got me interested and I have my very first cruise booked in February, which will include several Disney days before and afterwards. After that, no other WDW trips on the horizon. I think I would like to try for the Asian parks in fall of 2020, but I haven’t done any detailed feasibility studies yet :rotfl:.

All of these future trips are currently solo, though in December I will be meeting up a bunch with a disfriend, and I have 2 probable Dismeets at Disneyland Paris, which is pretty cool. And I actually like it that way :thumbsup2. While it was fun with Lauren, there were definitely times we got on each others nerves (though never got into a fight, which is very surprising). I wouldn’t be opposed to doing a sister trip again, but I think her boyfriend would probably come along too, so I would end up splitting off a bunch!

This September trip really ignited my Disney obsession! :mickeyjum

giphy.gif

And answers to the questions I posed in my intro:

• What were our favorite parks and rides? Me: Animal Kingdom and Flight of Passage; Lauren: “IDK and you don’t need my opinion in your trip report haha”
  • What was our favorite meal? Me: Tusker House; Lauren: see above
  • What ride do we both vow to never ride again? Space Mountain!
  • What was my most frustrating experience? Waiting for an hour to be seated at Be Our Guest, missing most of Happily Ever After!
  • How many times would we get to experience rope drop? Never! We were at MK for EMH but eating at Crystal Palace, and we showed up a couple minutes late at Epcot. But it didn’t impact our touring style!
  • What internet writer (non-Disney) would we meet? Kristen Chirico from Buzzfeed
  • What would we give to absolute strangers? Flight of Passage FPs
  • How would September rain/lightning storms affect our plans? Besides Irma, it didn’t! We were soooo lucky in that respect!

So, this is the end of this Trip Report. I really appreciate everyone coming along for the ride! I'm still around to answer any questions/comments (and feel free to do so whenever you want!). And the following are still in progress:

Trip Report: Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My - A Solo March TR
Pre-Trip Reports: Footloose and Fancy Free - December 2018 (also February 2019)
Remy, Marie, and Me - DLP PTR - June 2018

What a fantastic trip and trip report! It sounded like an amazing time. I enjoyed seeing your perspective between DLR and WDW. You really lucked out with the crowds. If I ever face a hurricane again I'd like to do it at Disney! We went through Sandy and let's just say, it was NOT magical, LOL.

It really is! The CMs work hard enough, it sucks when people make their jobs even harder

Absolutely! I really feel bad for them at times and I always try and commend them when I can.

Haha, I have a friend too who can't do rides with heights when he can see them. So he will ride Space Mountain, but take the chicken exit for Splash.

haha that's like me...also because I don't want to get wet.

I normally avoid water rides, but it was worth it to see the girls happy screams!

The only water ride I'd do is the Grizzly Bear one in DCA and only if i'm staying at the GC so that I can run up and change if I have to (and I did that on our DLR trip a few years ago). For some reason I'm always the one SOAKED on those rapid rides.

It definitely was a great length of time. I am doing a 10-night in December, which hopefully won't get interrupted by any storms!

Wow sounds like an amazing trip!!!

At least it was just at the bus stop, and I think they were headed to a different park! I mean, I get the annoyance with FoP if you've waited that long and then didn't fit, but it was definitely awkward!

Oh whew that is good. My sister sometimes does that but she'll whisper to me in secret "If that person can go on that ride, so can I" LOL

I considered popcorn, but am glad I didn't because of space! I may have to make an exception for the Pixar Fest Sully bucket because the base connects directly into the Mike Wasowski sipper!

OMG that is so cute. Everything from Pixar Fest looks so adorable. I want everything.

I always feel weird when I say my favorite ride also happens to be the newest one (like Guardians at DLR)! But hey, that's why the imagineers designed them!

Ha, it's ok, change is good.

We did, however, sit at the edge of the empty hot tub, which was definitely warmer than post-hurricane! I wish I had done that more often, as it would have helped my sore feet!

I really like hot tubs for this purpose!

See, I made the key mistake of not putting jeans/sweater in my carry-on, so it would end up being a chilly flight home!

I get cold too on flights. I always bring a sweater even a light one in the summer, just in case.

I did stop at Chick Fil A to grab a sandwich (and actually started to reach out my wrist to pay via Magicband before stopping and trying to play it off like I was grabbing napkins)!

Haha I know, I get so sad when I can't pay for things with my band.

When I finally made my way over to the gate, I watched some tv on my phone and didn’t notice when someone came and sat next to me. Later I was going to grab a bag of chips at the stand next to the gate so turned to the woman and asked if she could watch my bag. Well-it was Kristin Chirico again-the Buzzfeed editor Lauren and I had met on the bus outside Grand Floridian! It was so funny and both of us did a double take! I would end up chatting with her and her husband until we boarded the plane, and we all bonded over Disney, including being DLR Annual Passholders.

That's funny! It's a small world at Disney!

I also lucked out again on an undersold flight, and ended up with a complete row to myself (I was monitoring seat assignments throughout the afternoon and was hoping to get an empty row (or at least an empty middle seat); when the center seat next to me got taken I actually realized the "economy comfort" rows were totally empty, so if I paid $30 for the upgrade I would likely get another empty row)! And the row in front of me was also empty! Eventually some teachers from the high school group who was sitting behind me (though the kids were very well behaved) would take over those rows, but I still got to stretch out on mine! And no feet sticking thru the armrests :crazy2:!

Nice getting such spacious seats in economy!! :)

Once I landed at LAX, I knew there was still a 45 minute delay before Lauren would land, and we were also at different terminals again. My mom had agreed to come pick us up, but unfortunately LAX is currently doing musical chairs with its airlines (and I was actually flying Delta home, though flew Virgin America to Orlando), so while she went to Terminal 6, I actually landed at Terminal 2! I knew Lauren would fly into Terminal 1 though, so while mom moved the car, I picked up my bags and walked over to the baggage claim area for 1 (if you need a visual, LAX is set up like a “U”, Terminals 1-4 on one side, 5-8 on the other, with the huge fancy international terminal on the end; in the center are parking garages, so it’s not easy to get from Terminal 6 to Terminal 1, as there are sidewalks, but not designed to be pedestrian friendly - they are adding an automatic people mover which just got approval to proceed with design). Eventually, mom would show up, Lauren would land, and we all headed home!

Is LAX still a construction zone? Last time we were there was in 2016 and it was nightmare-ish.

People constantly ask me which one do I like better: Disneyland or Disneyworld. And I truly cannot answer that. They are just two different experiences for me. Disneyland is truly my home park, and always will be. It’s my happy place. :love: If I’m having a couple bad days then I love that I can just go there and shut it all off for a bit. But Disneyworld is also very special, as it has so many new experiences left to unlock. And when I go it is a full experience, staying for multiple nights and getting away from everything.

I hear you. It's hard to pick just one, they are both great for different reasons.

Also, the planning issue for Disneyland vs Disneyworld. Again, this is unique to myself. I actually LOVE all the pre-planning involved in Disneyworld:crazy:! I am an organized person (in some ways, that does not apply to physical spaces like my bedroom or office :rolleyes1!), and definitely pro-spreadsheet! For me, the WDW planning is a challenge and part of the adventure! Figuring out the best ADRs, FP strategy, timing shows, etc, it really starts to make the magic real!

DLR is so easy to plan, but also less of an immersive world. I enjoy them both!!
I too am really organized when it comes to Disney planning but in my home life I'm the opposite. Haha.

In terms of rides, even though WDW has fewer rides than DL (47 at WDW, 55 at DLR), I felt many of them were better quality. We definitely didn’t experience as many breakdowns as you can experience on a given day at DL. However, that is certainly dependent on our unique experience, with no thunderstorms while we were in the parks. I think WDW also benefits from being newer and more purposefully built with larger room to expand. :teleport:

I actually think DLR rides are better quality, LOL. And DL's version of the same rides are just, better, IMO. Pirates, Space mountain, Small World, etc. I just really enjoyed the DL versions a lot more, or maybe I'm just so used to WDW that DL felt so fun and new (even though DL was my first ever Disney park when I was a kid).

Well of course, I’ve already completed another trip to WDW, and am coming up soon on a trip to Disneyland Paris! Then, I have a 10-night December trip this year, which I can’t wait to see all the Christmas decorations! And even though I was never really interested in cruises, once I started reading people’s TR’s that included cruises (@chunkymonkey especially), it got me interested and I have my very first cruise booked in February, which will include several Disney days before and afterwards. After that, no other WDW trips on the horizon. I think I would like to try for the Asian parks in fall of 2020, but I haven’t done any detailed feasibility studies yet :rotfl:.

Yay!! So happy to have inspired you to cruise. It really is the best of Disney service all rolled up in one pretty package. And that is so cool you have it paired with park days both before and after! What cruise are you doing? Are you going on the Dream?

Sounds like the rest of your day went smooth! Good thing the flight attendant was able to give you a blanket to keep you warm!

I love hearing that you went from thinking WDW would be an "every 5 years" thing to now having 2 more trips back planned! I totally agree that it is very hard to pick between WDW and DL because they are so different and both so wonderful!

Thanks so much for sharing, I really loved hearing about your first time at WDW!!

Is LAX still a construction zone? Last time we were there was in 2016 and it was nightmare-ish.
It is, but I think it's not AS bad as 2016. Though the construction zone keeps getting shifted around. I don't even want to imagine what its going to look like during construction of the peoplemover!

What cruise are you doing? Are you going on the Dream?
I'm just doing a 4-night Bahama on the Wonder. I booked on opening day, so was able to get it at a relatively good price. $1200 for an inside room, but it will just be me, so works out to about $300/night. I would have loved to do the Dream or Fantasy, since I know if I'm able to go for a last-minute one, it would be on the west coast with the Wonder, but I sort of like that I will be on the smaller ship to start. It's in February (10-14), so I will be able to check out Festival of the Arts!

But if I like this one I would love to do a Star Wars Day at Sea one!

Sounds like the rest of your day went smooth! Good thing the flight attendant was able to give you a blanket to keep you warm!

I love hearing that you went from thinking WDW would be an "every 5 years" thing to now having 2 more trips back planned! I totally agree that it is very hard to pick between WDW and DL because they are so different and both so wonderful!

Thanks so much for sharing, I really loved hearing about your first time at WDW!!
Thanks for following along! Hopefully one day we will have overlapping trips, or you can come out to DL!

We considered sitting on the edge of the pool, but there is a 6" wide lip around it, so it wouldn’t have been very comfortable!
So, I am not sure you are allowed to sit on the edge of the pools at Disney World... They are SUPER strict on the lifeguard rules. I feel like one time I tried to do that and they made me get up.

I loved WDW, but I think I could make it an every-5 years sort of trip!

giphy.gif
Ha! Too funny! Don't tell Andy, but I kind of feel that way about Disneyland...

In terms of rides, even though WDW has fewer rides than DL (47 at WDW, 55 at DLR)
This is just crazy! I have to give DL props for having so many more rides!

I also LOVED the interactive and detailed queues at WDW! The only one at DL that even begins to approach is for Indiana Jones, and that is over 20 years old. :tink:
Ummmm this was probably one of biggest difference we noticed was the ques.... And can I just say, that que for Indiana Jones went on FOREVER!!!!

Tusker House was definitely my favorite sit-down meal, though in March I had 2 meals that bumped TH down to #3! :teeth:
Can't wait to here what the other ones were!

I think I would like to try for the Asian parks in fall of 2020, but I haven’t done any detailed feasibility studies yet :rotfl:.
I think you have enough to plan for, for the moment! And I will have to live vicariously through you for those, for sure.

Lauren: “IDK and you don’t need my opinion in your trip report haha”
Man, I totally wish I had been able to meet Lauren! Next time...

So, I am not sure you are allowed to sit on the edge of the pools at Disney World... They are SUPER strict on the lifeguard rules. I feel like one time I tried to do that and they made me get up.
Glad we didn't try then! Maybe that's also why they have the uncomfortable lip around the pool edge? Well, hot tub worked out better in the end!

Ha! Too funny! Don't tell Andy, but I kind of feel that way about Disneyland...
Well, you'll always have a friend over here ready to meet you guys (and babysit the girls if you want some alone time)!

Ummmm this was probably one of biggest difference we noticed was the ques.... And can I just say, that que for Indiana Jones went on FOREVER!!!!
It does! It was done before the age of FPs. I've definitely been in it where it's been completely full all the way into the outdoor area!

Lauren and I were able to get to a special AP event celebrating Indiana Jones (they closed off the west side of the park in the late evening), and we went to the panel talking about the ride. I guess that was one of the first super-themed queues, and it had to be long, since the actual ride building is on the other side of the train tracks! Before it opened they had a soft opening just for the queue itself, so people would just walk it (I guess like the Pandora AP previews)! All of the writings can be translated, though its hard to do that now-a-days since you are walking faster through large portions!

Man, I totally wish I had been able to meet Lauren! Next time...
Haha, definitely! I think she and the girls would have gotten along too (Morgan and Gwen remind me so much of myself and Lauren, though better behaved and actually get along)!

As we pulled away from POFQ I made the (hilarious in retrospect) statement-I loved WDW, but I think I could make it an every-5 years sort of trip!

:rotfl: I thought something like this too after our first trip. I was like oh well we did that, we won't be back for a couple years, but about 4 months later I couldn't shake the idea of planning another trip, and the rest is history :laughing:

I actually LOVE all the pre-planning involved in Disneyworld:crazy:! I am an organized person (in some ways, that does not apply to physical spaces like my bedroom or office :rolleyes1!), and definitely pro-spreadsheet! For me, the WDW planning is a challenge and part of the adventure! Figuring out the best ADRs, FP strategy, timing shows, etc, it really starts to make the magic real!

Me too! I love the planning.

But, because we did so many things in September, I didn’t need to do them again, so I could prioritize better and also spend more time “smelling the roses”-literally in some instances!

It's so much better after the first trip when you feel like you have to do everything, that was a lot more stressful than the way we tour now that we know we'll be back.

Awwww, over so soon? (jk lol)

I'm so glad to hear this was such an overall good first experience for you. Everything really worked out for the best for you, it seemed. First WDW trips really are the most magical (nothing will ever beat my first time... NOTHING).

I'm LIVING for your love of CP babies. We mostly tend to get a bad rap and your appreciation of us is so obvious and just so so nice to hear, thank you (see: when you gave Raven & I the pins... that I sadly lost in the amount of traveling I ended up doing that trip (don'thateme *SOBS*)).

I'm a bit saddened that you seem to have no love for Studios, but you really saw it at its worst. If only you had been there for the Streets of America, daytime parade, Animation Academy, etc. etc. era. It really is the DCA of Disney World in that it seems to have had its moment of grandeur at one point and now it just doesn't know what to do with itself. Hopefully you'll get to see a second era of that when it probably won't be "Studios" anymore.

Omg all those trips! I'm so so jealous about the cruise and DLP, as I've probz mentioned before. This really kicked off everything for your non-Disneyland Disney park adventures! So excited to hear all about it and see you again at the OG park this summer! :mickeyjum

I've enjoyed your report! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to read about your future adventures!

I loved WDW, but I think I could make it an every-5 years sort of trip!

giphy.gif
HAHAHAHAHAHA, yea....you didn't make it quite to 5 years LOL :)

(and actually started to reach out my wrist to pay via Magicband before stopping and trying to play it off like I was grabbing napkins)!
I do this EVERY time we leave Disney!!! It's like writing the date after the year changes....takes awhile to get out of your system!

5) Peoplemover
I absolutely LOVE that Peoplemover is in your top 5. Mine, too :)

Great wrap up to your report! Loved the comparison of Disneyland to WDW. As someone who has never visited DL, I felt like I got a good understanding of the differences between the two parks. And I had no clue DL had more rides than WDW!!

*And unless something changes, we'll definitely make the Dismeet in Paris happen!*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter