Westjet World Elite Mastercard

chris1212

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have the Westjet World Elite Mastercard? It's looking like a pretty good deal for the $119 it costs yearly.

We have already booked our flights to Disneyland, my question is if I apply for this credit card for the purpose of getting free luggage checked for the trip.... how does this work? Does it matter that the flight wasn't booked on this credit card? At 4 pieces of luggage for 25$ each, both flight directions, that is 200$ alone. Plus we are planning another trip we could use the free checked baggage and potentially the companion voucher.

Any advice from someone who has used the card would be much appreciated!

We just applied for one for the same reason! We haven’t booked our flights for our March trip so I’m hoping to be able to utilize the companion voucher.

Does anyone have the Westjet World Elite Mastercard? It's looking like a pretty good deal for the $119 it costs yearly.

We have already booked our flights to Disneyland, my question is if I apply for this credit card for the purpose of getting free luggage checked for the trip.... how does this work? Does it matter that the flight wasn't booked on this credit card? At 4 pieces of luggage for 25$ each, both flight directions, that is 200$ alone. Plus we are planning another trip we could use the free checked baggage and potentially the companion voucher.

I *think* that you're supposed to have booked the flights with the CC but if it's linked to the account it might apply the free bags automatically - I'm not sure sorry.

We just applied for one for the same reason! We haven’t booked our flights for our March trip so I’m hoping to be able to utilize the companion voucher.

You might be pretty tight on getting the March flights. Once you apply for the card and get approved you have to wait until you have the card in hand and make a purchase then wait for the purchase to post before you get the companion voucher loaded up.

I *think* that you're supposed to have booked the flights with the CC but if it's linked to the account it might apply the free bags automatically - I'm not sure sorry.

You might be pretty tight on getting the March flights. Once you apply for the card and get approved you have to wait until you have the card in hand and make a purchase then wait for the purchase to post before you get the companion voucher loaded up.
I was afraid of that. I have enough avion points for one flight and we were hoping to use the WJ card to help with the other 2 flights we need. We aren’t going till the very end of March so fingers crossed!

I was afraid of that. I have enough avion points for one flight and we were hoping to use the WJ card to help with the other 2 flights we need. We aren’t going till the very end of March so fingers crossed!

I have them crossed for you!

It only takes like 10 days to get them in the mail once approved. We just got our a couple months ago and haven't booked a trip yet so not sure how everything works yet

I have the CC. You don't have to book the flight with that CC, you just have to have your WestJet Reward Number that is linked to the card also linked to your booking. If it is not, best to call WestJet and have it added to the booking before you start the check-in.

We have 3 kids, so we actually applied for and received 2 cards (separate accounts) - one for me and one for my wife. We used both this year when booking our January flights to Orlando. I think it's a great deal, especially coming from Calgary where return flights can be north of $600. We called and booked our flights and they were even nice enough to give us free seat selection.

I have the CC. You don't have to book the flight with that CC, you just have to have your WestJet Reward Number that is linked to the card also linked to your booking. If it is not, best to call WestJet and have it added to the booking before you start the check-in.

Thanks!! Our westjet rewards numbers are already on our flight bookings. So when you check in does it know you have the credit card? Or you enter it and then there is no charge for baggage? We are travelling in January so that hopefully should be enough time to get this set up.

Thanks!! Our westjet rewards numbers are already on our flight bookings. So when you check in does it know you have the credit card? Or you enter it and then there is no charge for baggage? We are travelling in January so that hopefully should be enough time to get this set up.

I check in using the WestJet app on my phone. I enter the number of bags and it says fee is $0.00. Super easy

Have it. Love it. It has saved me a lot of money over the past few years in bag fees alone, plus there's the companion tickets and the reward points. I hope they didn't raise my annual fee without telling me though. It was $99 last I checked.

As PP posted, the flight should not have to be booked on the card to take advantage of the free bags. You will get an email a couple of days prior to your flight with the subject "Important information about your flight", and the following chart:

Untitled.jpeg

Before I got the card I was concerned that I would feel compelled to fly WestJet just to use the card, and that's true to some extent, but I usually prefer to fly WestJet anyway, so it works out.

It's my first disboards post from a lurker!!

We just got WJ cards for the sole purpose of booking WDW flights. DH and I both got one, so annual fee combined will be $240. However, the last time I checked our flights, they were 339 base fare each, so using one companion fare each is already puts us $240 ahead... plus, we can each use our $250 signing bonus towards the flight costs, so there's another $500 savings. And that's before we count the free checked bag for 4 people each way.

I will say it's not as quick a process as I had hoped. I applied online for the card and was accepted on 10/31. I received my card in the mail on 11/6, and used it for the first time yesterday, 11/7. RBC teller confirmed that bonus should be in my WJ rewards account within 1-2 days, BUT the T&C says they do have up to 4-6 weeks to appear.

So, YMMV on how quickly they arrive. I'm trying to book for April so anxiously checking each day to see when the bonus/companion vouchers show up. For us, we will likely cancel the card after this year or the next since we don't fly a huge amount.

Thanks @musika ! Can you let me know how long it does take for the companion vouchers to show up? We are thinking of booking another trip, but it will probably be before the vouchers appear if it really does take weeks. Curious as to what the actual time may be.

I'm just going to quickly chime in and agree that you will be able to waive your luggage fee! I had booked flights on Airmiles through westjet. Then applied for the credit card a month later. When we went on our trip we didn't have to pay for the luggage because the westjet numbers were linked.

Thanks @musika ! Can you let me know how long it does take for the companion vouchers to show up? We are thinking of booking another trip, but it will probably be before the vouchers appear if it really does take weeks. Curious as to what the actual time may be.

I applied for one in September, it arrived really quickly. But the voucher took about 6 weeks to show up on my account.

Just a quick note that you have to USE the card in order for the bonus dollars and voucher to show up. I say this because some people (looks at self) get the card, don't use it for a while, then wonder where the bonus stuff is.

Mine also was applied very quickly. Free bags were automatically applied to flights already booked. I am doing the TA next summer so companion flight is not worth using one way as flights are around the same price. Oh well. We will just have to plan a flight somewhere else round trip.

Hi ... I wrote the following post (on a similar West Jet World Elite Mastercard thread) on Feb. 21, 2017.

The following is to give you an idea of what you should re-confirm. If you google RBC WestJet World Elite Mastercard you should be able to find "Terms & Conditions" or you can call a West Jet Agent and confirm directly with them.

I "think" most of the following is still true (again ... the following was written on Feb. 21, 2017):

Hi ... NOT an expert BUT learned this as I recently called West Jet about their "RBC WestJet World Elite Mastercard" re: Free Baggage:

* Valid for Primary Cardholder of the above noted card (the $99 annual fee card) & up to 8 guests on the SAME reservation

Edited: Believe the NEW annual rate has INCREASED TO $119 from the ORIGINAL $99 Annual Fee

* Eligible Member's WestJet Rewards ID (9 digit #) MUST be on the reservation at the time of check-in
* Valid on flights OPERATED by WestJet (NOT applicable for Code Share or Interline Partners)

* Asked & was advised that you did NOT have to use the WestJet World Elite Mastercard to pay for the WestJet Flight in order to get the "1st Free Baggage" (so doesn't matter which credit card was used to pay for the WestJet Flight)

* Re: $250 welcome credit = was advised that had a 5 year expiration date (so a lot of time to redeem it)
* Re: $99 companion fare = was advised that had a 1 year expiration date

* To redeem the $250 welcome credit and/or $99 companion fare = need to call the WestJet Sales Centre ... cannot book flight online

* $99 companion fare valid on "new" bookings made through WestJet Sales Centre

* $99 companion fare NOT valid on westjet.com or previous existing bookings or WestJet Vacations or Group bookings ("guessing" this also applies to the $250 credit)

* $99 companion fare (not sure about the $250 welcome credit) = needs to be used for WestJet flight marketed & operated by WestJet (so no code share flights)

Hope this helps! :-) (again ... the above noted was written in Feb. 2017)

^^ We used the West Jet Credit Card in July 2017 to get FREE checked baggage.
^^ Bought air tickets through West Jet Call Center.
^^ Used a Non-West Jet Credit Card to pay for the air tickets.
^^ Applied the $250 Welcome Bonus to our air tickets.
^^ Applied the $99 Companion Fare to our air tickets.
^^ In order to "activate" your $250 Welcome Bonus & $99 Companion Fare (ie. receive them) as soon as you receive your WestJet Credit card you MUST USE IT to make a purchase. You will not receive the $250 or $99 vouchers in your account UNTIL you use your new credit card.
^^ $250 & $99 amounts were received fairly quickly once card was activated
^^ NEW annual membership rate has increased to $119 from $99 (I "think" the correct amt is $119)

Hope this helps. Good luck!! :-)

We got ours a couple of years ago. It took 2 or 3 weeks for the bonus to show up. It took about the same for the buddy pass to be available.

We don't pay the annual fee because we have all of our banking services with RBC (chequing, savings, mortgage, TFSA, US$ account). I hadn't actually realized that we didn't pay it, but when I called to ask about something, they told me it was waived because of our banking services with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter