WestJet changed our flight home

spiffgirl101

Mouseketeer
West Jet rant - they changed our non-stop flight from MCO to YWG to one with a layover a YYZ.

I have seen some discussions on here before about this. Of course, that was after I booked LOL. Anyway, 2 days ago I received an email from Expedia saying there was a major change to my itinerary and to call right away. I didn't have time to call until today, and even then I had to wait for a call-back because the wait time was 1.5 hrs.

Long story short, all the flights were now connecting through Toronto. I hate connecting through Toronto on the way home from anything. The way there is fine because we are fueled by excitement, but on the way back, the last thing I want to do is go through security twice. I just asked to get my flight canceled and they issued a full refund since Westjet initiated the flight schedule change.

Swoop is flying a non-stop flight that same day, but when I looked there were only 2 seats left, and there are 3 of us.

So now I am going to have to re-figure the tail end of our vacation. We are coming off a cruise on Monday at the end of February, so I had booked the non-stop flight for Tuesday, and had booked a stay on Monday night at POFQ so we could check it out and extend our vacation a bit. now I have to decide if we are still going to do that, or if we are just going to fly home the day we got back from our cruise. Sigh.

At least I have a few months to figure it out, but I had booked early so I wouldn't have to worry about the travel logistics anymore.

Sorry for venting, but I need to express my frustration somewhere. I know I will figure it out, but my first world problem is that I HAD ALREADY FIGURED IT OUT once already :(

At least you have some time to figure it out :( I had that happen with a flight I booked using airmiles, it was direct and then changed to not be. Luckily they did refund me everything but I had to change carriers. It did make me much more comfortable booking one flight there and another home, rather than as a round trip. Good luck!

West Jet rant - they changed our non-stop flight from MCO to YWG to one with a layover a YYZ.

I have seen some discussions on here before about this. Of course, that was after I booked LOL. Anyway, 2 days ago I received an email from Expedia saying there was a major change to my itinerary and to call right away. I didn't have time to call until today, and even then I had to wait for a call-back because the wait time was 1.5 hrs.

Long story short, all the flights were now connecting through Toronto. I hate connecting through Toronto on the way home from anything. The way there is fine because we are fueled by excitement, but on the way back, the last thing I want to do is go through security twice. I just asked to get my flight canceled and they issued a full refund since Westjet initiated the flight schedule change.

Swoop is flying a non-stop flight that same day, but when I looked there were only 2 seats left, and there are 3 of us.

So now I am going to have to re-figure the tail end of our vacation. We are coming off a cruise on Monday at the end of February, so I had booked the non-stop flight for Tuesday, and had booked a stay on Monday night at POFQ so we could check it out and extend our vacation a bit. now I have to decide if we are still going to do that, or if we are just going to fly home the day we got back from our cruise. Sigh.

At least I have a few months to figure it out, but I had booked early so I wouldn't have to worry about the travel logistics anymore.

Sorry for venting, but I need to express my frustration somewhere. I know I will figure it out, but my first world problem is that I HAD ALREADY FIGURED IT OUT once already :(

I worry about all flights booked until I am within a 3 month window. The airlines are bad for changing things up until then. That being said my most recent flight was direct Ottawa-Winnipeg perfect timing to arrive just before lunch. When we arrived at the gate, I found out our plane hadn't even left Toronto yet (it should have been at the gate already as we were supposed to board in 30 min) Showed up an hour late totally messed up timing at our destination.

Air travel is just a pain these days. On the plus side connecting through Toronto has improved since the last time I was there in 2017. You may not have to go through security 2x and you may even get to see the Magic Plane. (or fly on it)

Air travel is just a pain these days. On the plus side connecting through Toronto has improved since the last time I was there in 2017. You may not have to go through security 2x and you may even get to see the Magic Plane. (or fly on it)

I really hope so! The last time we flew through Toronto was 2016, so if things have changed, I would be happy! I am just about to head out on my summer vacation, so I will actually have some time to look into my winter vacation in the next 2 weeks. If I can find a decent flight that has a layover in Toronto, I will book it. Odds are slim to none I can get another direct flight within a 3 day window of us disembarking from our cruise.

Thanks for the info :)

Westjet did this to us with a direct flight from YWG to MCO a couple years back. So frustrating! We thought we hit the lottery with a direct flight that left Winnipeg at I think it was 8 or 9 AM. They wanted us to now leave at 5 AM and connect through Toronto which we also avoid at all costs. I’ve also heard they’ve improved things greatly for connecting flights, here’s hoping!

We actually contacting Westjet to express our disappointment (we planned around that awesome original flight) and they were quite accommodating, we ended up flying out the night before on the direct flight that leaves in the late afternoon instead. Never hurts to reach out.

As an aside, Delta just changed our return flight home, we lose 4 hours of WDW time on our last day. We’re only 60 something days out. Not a huge deal, but I feel your pain! Airlines are frustrating.

Aircanada changed my flight I called and policy is if it’s more than 4 hours you can request a diff flight change to suit you .
We actually ended up getting a better time
It’s worth a call imo

My friend showed up at the airport last week and her non stop frontier flight was completely cancelled for her trip home. She said she didn’t know till she got to the airport... which is crazy, but I suppose can happen... it was a late night flight. So she had to head back home and fly out the next night.
Personally find it all exhausting physically and mentally.
We don’t fly Any of those
Imho ...discount type flights anywhere.
Not worth the energy nor the alleged cost savings when it comes down to it.

My friend showed up at the airport last week and her non stop frontier flight was completely cancelled for her trip home. She said she didn’t know till she got to the airport... which is crazy, but I suppose can happen... it was a late night flight. So she had to head back home and fly out the next night.
Personally find it all exhausting physically and mentally.
We don’t fly Any of those
Imho ...discount type flights anywhere.
Not worth the energy nor the alleged cost savings when it comes down to it.

I have flown Frontier twice and never had an issue with them. Its sucks having to fly out of Canada, I prefer flying out of the US. Much cheaper and I've already passed customs.

WJ did that for our Xmas/NYE flight home as well. It went from a direct flight to a layover flight. They did that to us a couple of years ago as well. I can handle a layover on the way to MCO, but at the end of the trip, I just want to get home. I decided to cancel the flight home and book with Swoop. Hope I don't regret it.

WJ is notorious for this - they release their winter schedules in the summer, even though they have been selling flights for months prior based on their previous year’s schedule. As a result, many flights/routes are canceled and changed significantly.

For this reason I never book WJ for our disney trips. Direct flights are important to me and I can’t count on them as we book a year in advance when prices are lowest. AC has changed flights on me too, but they are always minor changes (an hour earlier or later) compared to WJ’s changes.

Hubby and I had a halifax to paris direct flight booked on WJ for next month. They changed the itinerary to Halifax to Calgary then to Paris. Ridiculous! A 5ish hour flight turned into 23 hours. We promptly cancelled that trip and booked our upcoming Disney trip instead.

Sigh...it seems to be an ongoing issue with WJ. They have done this do us as well. Our flight was cancelled, and the one that it replaced, was an even longer one. I called and found one that worked better for us. Still a milk run for us ( live in northern Alberta ) and even a " direct flight " I still have to hop another flight into our home city or drive 5-7 hrs - just no ideal. I do know that days that direct flights happen now for most of the airlines, so I will work holidays around those, but it's still not a guarantee as they seem to change those too

Good for you on the cash saved. Connecting through Toronto wasn't as bad the last time I did it. My awful adventure with a connection was several years ago and I believe they have made changes since then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts