We're half way there - JUNE WISH month of motivation

oohoo... I'm officially a year older, wait, is getting old really woohoo-able? Still being here is a happy thing, so we'll woohoo to that.

Yes having a birthday is definitely woohooable!!

c179a40260901c906bea37dcbc4dce51.jpg

My woohoo is that I have gotten up early to walk every day so far this week. Well except for today. I won't walk by myself early in the morning or after dark so i go with DH. He works from home 4 days a week so those are the days that I walk with him. This morning he was leaving at 445 or 5 because he has to leave the house by 6 for work when in the office. That is just too earlier for me. Maybe I can handle that later down the road but right now 530 is the earliest I am getting up.

:banana: Dancing banana celebrates that you are off to a great start with your morning walks - and i don't blame you earlier than 5.30 would be to hard for me too - but maybe there is something else you could do in the house those days that you can't walk - although I know sometimes exercising in the house is hard if you are trying not to wake the kids too early...

I got my breakfast at Starbucks this morning, but I got unsweetened iced tea, so no dairy. Well done me.

:banana: Dancing banana celebrates that you made a change in a habit within your routine.

I had to buy new pants. I hate buying clothes, but it's a good thing. I'm now wearing the same size that I wore during my first year in law school, which was 10 years ago.

:banana: Dancing banana celebrates the reason you needed to buy the new pants - great achievement.

Wahoo! School is over!!!! The kids are gone!!!

:bday: @Oneanne

Last night I started getting a sore throat. Tonight I'd really like some hot cocoa but don't quite have the calories so instead will drink some nice chamomille tea. I had both at work today. I plan on going to bed very soon so between that and the extra rest I can beat this bug!

Topic Thursday:

Hello all hope you have a wonderful Thursday :-)

Still thinking about food …. Because as they say you can’t exercise a bad diet away…

WHAT and HOW MUCH to eat can be confusing, in recent years we have started to hear the food pyramid promoted as the ‘go to’ for so many years did not get it right. One of the new guidelines being promoted by governments around the western world is the My Plate Plan

5789902867_b30b48191d.jpg

https://www.choosemyplate.gov/MyPlate

But there are so many approaches and theories to eating … what is guiding your choices and why? Do you think you are getting it right or are there changes that help your success with your goal?

Bonus: Do you have a favorite food or recipe that you include in your weekly food plan?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-14_16-49-49.png
    upload_2018-6-14_16-49-49.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 1

Dancing banana celebrates that you are off to a great start with your morning walks - and i don't blame you earlier than 5.30 would be to hard for me too - but maybe there is something else you could do in the house those days that you can't walk - although I know sometimes exercising in the house is hard if you are trying not to wake the kids too early...

I could try that, though yesterday my alarm was not turned on and luckily my daughter woke up and got me up. I had to basically run out the door. Thankfully work does not care what time we get here within reason. So the 30 minutes late to work just meant worked through lunch.

+++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday was a bad day. With getting up late I didn't get a chance to pack a good lunch and breakfast. I ate out and didn't make the best choices. Then at DS's baseball game I got a candy bar and then since the team won they went to Dairy Queen for ice cream. I had to have some too. I have no will power this week. I am ready to move on from this week and get back to normal. I hate the 1 week a month that I lose all my will power.

But there are so many approaches and theories to eating … what is guiding your choices and why? Do you think you are getting it right or are there changes that help your success with your goal?

There are so many, often opposing, dieting theories out there I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to listen to my own body, and right now my body is trying to tell me go more plant based and more green. It's my brain/addiction center that keeps screaming "eat all the sugar", but my body's response is consistently "why did you do that to me again", so even with sugar the body is pretty darn smart. I have to get out of my own way, meaning listen to my body not my brain, but this is more challenging than it sounds because I naturally live in my head and until I get really out of whack, and there's body screaming going on, I barely realize I have a physical self at all.

The past two weeks have been crazy busy at work: my boss is gone, so I've been trying to pick up some of his work in addition to trying to do my own and there's barely been time to catch my breath. When I left the office yesterday there was a huge issue looming, but it appears to have magically cleared over night - fingers crossed. I can sure use a day where I can put my head down and just dig in. And tonight I have my first NAET appointment - hippy!

Last edited:

Happy Belated Birthday, @Oneanne !!!!!

Belated woohoo: We leave for Orlando today to join up with my family! We will be seeing Incredibles 2 tomorrow morning at Disney Springs then going to The Void-- which I just heard about but apparently is some awesome virtual reality Star Wars thing. The to cap it off the night, we are going to Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk. I can't imagine a more perfect day! So excited!!! The work clock is ticking so slow today though Haha!

Bonus: Do you have a favorite food or recipe that you include in your weekly food plan?

I think the WW "Free point foods" are guiding my decisions right now. I have stopped tracking for the past two months and have been winging it. I don't want to count for the rest of my life and so I am trying to make choices within reason. So mainly I choose meals that have a serving of lean protein (chicken or fish mainly), a serving or two of a non-starchy veggie, and a light serving of something in the grain department. And then at dinner the grand finale is ice cream or (my newest addiction- a marshmallow melted on a graham cracker -- chocolate free s'more LOL!). However, I have been upping the grains recently. I thought I was so addicted to them, but I think a lot of that was mental drama. I am struggling a little with moderation still though. Sorting through that one currently.... I did have a bit of a gain these past two weeks, but I managed to right the ship a little according to the scale this morning by going back to my old ways (basically cut the grains to a more reasonable serving and cut back on the sweets). So I think that is the right direction. It just takes more dedication at home when I am more in control of what I prepare. I can't slack at home. I can slack a little when I go out but I have to balance it by being better at home.

Bonus - Recently, I have been putting taco seasoning on a chicken breast and throwing it on the George Foreman and serving it with diced avocado on top with a squeeze of lime. Also served with a veggie and a little rice or something. So good and EASY! When I don't want to plan, one of our local health food markets does a "meal deal" -- $20 for a meal that serves 4 and comes with all the things you need (except like oil and salt and pepper). They are always delicious! And we get lunch out of it the next day too. That's my lazy weekly staple Haha!

Woohoo... I'm officially a year older, wait, is getting old really woohoo-able? Still being here is a happy thing, so we'll woohoo to that.

My first birthday present came yesterday, an 'Adventurers Kit' from the website Minimus that sells sample and single-use sizes of tons of stuff. The kit is full of things an adventurer would need, like poison ivy ointment, Advil, bug spray. I'll be getting my second present tonight, a travel watercolor and sketching kit: one of the days in Alaska we're doing a land excursion, which includes sketching and water color journaling, something I've been wanting to get in to. My third present comes either today or tomorrow, the book that the gal I took my block printing class from just published. Fourth gift will be a Birds of Alaska book, that should come Friday. I get one gift per decade, so I'm still working on the last two... maybe I'll wait and get a couple things form the yarn store hosting the retreat.

Full disclosure... I got my breakfast at Starbucks this morning, but I got unsweetened iced tea, so no dairy. Well done me.

Happy Birthday Oneanne! Hope you having a great day

And tonight I have my first NAET appointment - hippy!

Hope it goes well and helps your body find that balance you are seeking.

Recently, I have been putting taco seasoning on a chicken breast and throwing it on the George Foreman and serving it with diced avocado on top with a squeeze of lime. Also served with a veggie and a little rice or something. So good and EASY

Oooh that sounds yummy.

I did much better yesterday and I am down a pound. I took a walk in the morning and then again in the afternoon. I am getting crabbier and crabbier on our walks at 5:30 am. DH had to practically drag me out today but I went. Today i get out of work early so I am going to take the kids to the zoo to give DH a break. He is with them all day now. It will be a trip for me to get steps in and see the new stuff that they just opened. Over the past several years they have been redoing the zoo. Updating it and a new section just opened this week and has a new animal to our zoo. It will be hot but it will be fun.

Yes, please, lets let the weekend begin!

The work issue I thought we were clear of resurfaced yesterday, well actually it looks like the third in a sequence of issues that may or may not be connected. At least I can concentrate on this as my top priority today.

NAET went very well last night, I tested sensitive to everything I thought I might be sensitive to, so I guess I've been doing a better job listening to my body than I thought. The first treatment was kind of a foundational thing, then next time we'll start with eggs. The prospect of feeling better makes me so happy, and relieved.... like the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel has just lit up.

Have a wonderful weekend every one.

Happy Belated Birthday, @Oneanne However, I have been upping the grains recently. I thought I was so addicted to them, but I think a lot of that was mental drama. I am struggling a little with moderation still though. Sorting through that one currently.... I did have a bit of a gain these past two weeks, but I managed to right the ship a little according to the scale this morning by going back to my old ways (basically cut the grains to a more reasonable serving and cut back on the sweets).

Natural way to moderate your carb and protein is making sure your have at least 1/3rd in your plate being veg or veg or fruit and if you want to be losing weight shoot for half. You are really doing fantastic adjusting your plan as you need

There is so much conflicting advise on food. I kind of stick to what the picture is or the harvard food plate. I find potatoes very filling for example. There often diet trends and food producers jumping on them - current hype is keto and on completely different end vegan. I would not do either but food producers create trends and invest heavily in paying for healthy articles to convince us it's the way forward! I think many want to feel that they fit in a tribe, including me - to find some reassurance as there is so much conflicting info.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Ultimately for myself I think
I must eat a lot of fruit and veggies. At least 3rd of my plate
I am less hungry if I have both protein and some starchy carb on my plate
Healthy fats are important in moderation
Most of my food should be whole natural foods
High calorie natural food like avocado, nuts I need to moderate

I have to be able to enjoy pizza if I really want to, I do try to keep the veggies rule but if I do once in awhile - it really does not matter. I can't do all or nothing as I am so fed up with what usually ends as - big fat nothing

I also need to focus on creating recipe collection of foods that I enjoy. I love food and if my food is boring I will crave junk, I need to keep it

I highly recommend many of the hairy bikers recipes (the diet range). They are really much better than Jamie Oliver imo.

I like that crustless quiche I kept posting a lot. Last night I had red pointy peppers, tomatoes, chicken thighs and fried them with fahita spices (oregano, coriander, chili). I added tin of pinto beans and lime - it end up being so tasty. I knew what to add from the hairy biker book but I came up something looking what I have left.

I like poached chicken for salads lately as it remains juicy
Keema mater pie
Pasta bake with cauliflower, cheese, chicken and buffalo wing sauce
salmon, rice and veg (all done in the steamer!)
chicken bhuna
chicken fajita bowls
egg omelettes (but i do 1 whole egg and 3 whites)
lasagna adding roast auberine to the meat sauce
oven roast chips (Americans call them fries). Chop potatoes with the skins, par boil for 3 minutes, pre heat oven very high, spray little oil & cajun spice and roast for 30 minutes! Sooo good. we have them with lean burgers and home made slaw
oven roast a lot of veggies and have pizza loaded with veggies and lighter on cheese

I love food - I can't pick one. My food prep sometimes is just a plan, other times I can pre portion veggies for stir fries and sometimes cooking or combination of all

I buy weight watchers magazine as they always have good ideas!

It's good to keep informed, but you can totally overwhelm yourself as there is just not one way fits all and many lobby their way as the only way. I still cant decide smaller more regular meals, or less but bigger. Breakfast or no breakfast. And that's ok - you don't need to figure it all out. If the basics are there you can play around

eat your veggies. For me learning how to love them and cook with them is a must

If the students are gone and today was the teachers' last day why isn't my to do list getting smaller?!!! ugh At least on Monday it'll be quiet and maybe I can get more done.

This weekend I want to continue the yard work/projects and then finish up some inside projects. I also need to do some shopping. There is no fresh fruit in the house. For fresh vegetables there are a few mushrooms and a small bag of salad. That's it. I've got canned pears, peaches and cherries (canned by me), but I'm not wanting them. I'm after fresh. Tomorrow I'll probably make a lasagna and then I've got a crockpot pork/sweet potato/BBQ sauce yummy recipe. I need to plan light meals because we're in for warm weather. But that crockpot dish will be easy. Pasta salad is sounding good. Anybody have any easy delicious recipes for hot weather?

@HappyGrape I loved all your food ideas!! And I agree on the veggie side. My husband loves every vegetable beside cucumbers and would prefer three sides of vegetables over mashed potatoes or other starches. And that’s really made a difference in my cooking and our eating.

Hello everyone!! I missed you all! I kept reading, but posting just didn’t happen. Work was 12 hour days. Now I hope to have a relaxing weekend and get back some energy. The good news is that I managed to still eat responsibly through the stress! My husband was a great help there. We both are trying to lose weight, so he was helping me to not lose focus. It is great to have a support group at home!!

Hello everyone!! I missed you all! I kept reading, but posting just didn’t happen. Work was 12 hour days. Now I hope to have a relaxing weekend and get back some energy. The good news is that I managed to still eat responsibly through the stress! My husband was a great help there. We both are trying to lose weight, so he was helping me to not lose focus. It is great to have a support group at home!!

Hope things ease up for you at work soon. You sound very happy - despite the big work days.

@HappyGrape I also am upping my vegetable serves on my plates to look more like the my plate image - when we have spagetti bolognaise I will also have some green vegetables to go with it to reduce my pasta serve :-) and I totally agree about who is funding some of the pushes on what to eat.

Confession .... my eating has not been fantastic this weekend so far. Friday was a day off for us here with a local show holiday - we drove down to see my sister's new house - we grabbed krispy kreme donuts at the nearby 7/11 to take with us (I had 2 cookie and creme ones - yum :oops:) but for lunch we did just have chicken and salad rolls. Saturday - again not great but not a complete bust - bacon and egg for breakfast - no lunch but snacking on chocolate and chips - dinner back to better choice with soft chicken tacos (which is done with pulled chicken breast). Saturday was also a lazy sleepy couch day. Sunday today need to go the shops DD needs a top for a party next weekend, need some school lunch things ready for Monday and while over that way am thinking a walk on the beach is a good idea, plus the housework that didn't get done yesterday will be done today.

Side note ... I am driving myself crazy trying to decide what clothes to take for myself to Orlando! My DS did better job than me packing :(

I am way too excited to sleep but I am trying to focus on the happy element of it and not stress over not sleeping.

I have been eating in balance but last two days I had some bread and a lot of bloat. I think I will try to limit it going forward as it's causing me a lot of discomfort.

trying to come up with something to say about healthy eating without luck - sorry, its all about WDW for me right now. 3 more sleeps to go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!