We're Goin' Campin Dang It

tigger92662

They're more like guidelines than actual rules
So I friend of mine texted me last Tuesday and says "I found a Jellystone Campground in Caledonia WI. It's 1 hour 20 minutes away", I'm in.
Spent the rest of the week disassembling a 30" x 40" bird cage, hauling it through a 24" door on the coach and reassembling.
Finished last minute stuff and out the driveway we went. Residential fridge worked flawlessly.
Beautiful weekend, highs in the 70's, evenings in the 50's, perfect for campfire.
Pictures coming soon.
SOOO glad to be camping again!!!!

giphy.gif

So I friend of mine texted me last Tuesday and says "I found a Jellystone Campground in Caledonia WI. It's 1 hour 20 minutes away", I'm in.
Spent the rest of the week disassembling a 30" x 40" bird cage, hauling it through a 24" door on the coach and reassembling.
Finished last minute stuff and out the driveway we went. Residential fridge worked flawlessly.
Beautiful weekend, highs in the 70's, evenings in the 50's, perfect for campfire.
Pictures coming soon.
SOOO glad to be camping again!!!!

We have been to that Jellystone. The only one we have been to that isn’t next to the Interstate Highway. This Jellystone is our State Fair destination for camping. Have fun.

We are doing the same. We had planned on Hershey Park and booked over the winter. The amusement park is still closed, but the CG is open so we are going for the weekend just to get away.

I camped there last year. It's a pretty big place. The entrance area of the park has the pool, waterslides, camp store, etc. On the other end of the park is the beach area with a huge inflatable (extra fee). Enjoy!

We're packing up the T@g and heading out from NW Michigan to the Grand Canyon June 17.

When Disney canceled us for the second time (we can't reschedule as this was his last chance for a trip this year), I told W that I'm gonna go camping *somewhere* lol, and the GC has been on my bucket list for 40 years. We're going to stay at the Circle Pines KOA while there. Being on Route 66 is a plus.

As a matter of fact, I want to get totally cheezy and stop in Roswell NM for grins and giggles.

We have 12 days to do it all. We keep kidding about stopping to see the world's biggest ball of twine wherever *that* is lol.

I've been curious about Jellystone campgrounds for years, but there never seems to be one on whatever route we're on.

That sounds like a great trip. I have wanted to take several weeks and do a western swing like that. Hit the canyons and anything else cool with a few hundred miles.

Did you have trouble getting reservations? I always read that reservations booked up a year in advance, especially at the national/state parks.

j

That sounds like a great trip. I have wanted to take several weeks and do a western swing like that. Hit the canyons and anything else cool with a few hundred miles.

Did you have trouble getting reservations? I always read that reservations booked up a year in advance, especially at the national/state parks.

j
When I made my reservation at Circle Pines, there were only a few campsites left that were of the type we wanted.

Other than Circle Pines, we have not made any reservations, and we're leaving it up to luck as we like to wander around the country:)

When I made my reservation at Circle Pines, there were only a few campsites left that were of the type we wanted.

Other than Circle Pines, we have not made any reservations, and we're leaving it up to luck as we like to wander around the country:)
I should have noted that we made our reservations last week, and there were a few spots left, but they were filling up fast.

We were so desperate to get the camper out when hubby said he had to go to Albany (GA) for work and did I want to go, I was all in. Oh, and by the way, we'll head out a couple of days early and go to visit his parents in Baxley, GA and do some maintenance on the rig. I'm still in. Oh and Albany was sort of the epicenter of the virus here in Ga. Still in. So we went last week. Fri thru Mon morning in Baxley then Mon thru Thurs in Albany. He worked Tues and Wens and the dog and I walked around the small campground and just enjoyed having the camper out. We've been back since Thurs. and no one is sick so we count it as a good trip. We even ripped a big ole tear in the kitchen floor before leaving (the dog had snuck a bone under the slide and I didn't know it) and that didn't even phase us, we were camping by george. Oh, and I broke the screen door handle off the day before we left and still no big deal. We washed the rig in Baxley, sort of fixed the rip/tear and I lubed the windows and slides while hubby was working in Albany. Nothing exciting but we camped.
Baxley yard surfing

Albany

We had a great outing. Our stay was at Hersheypark Campground. It was originally supposed to be a surprise trip to the park, yet we managed and had fun without it. Maybe fall or next year will make it back to go to the park.

Lots of cooking over the fire this trip. Everyone enjoyed that and minus one heavy rain storm Friday evening, it was gorgeous weather.

The puppy was in full investigation mode on her first trip, tough did well overall

Melissa and I had a great time out and enjoying a break from the house.

We had a great outing. Our stay was at Hersheypark Campground. It was originally supposed to be a surprise trip to the park, yet we managed and had fun without it. Maybe fall or next year will make it back to go to the park.

View attachment 499821

Lots of cooking over the fire this trip. Everyone enjoyed that and minus one heavy rain storm Friday evening, it was gorgeous weather.

View attachment 499822View attachment 499824

The puppy was in full investigation mode on her first trip, tough did well overall

View attachment 499825

Melissa and I had a great time out and enjoying a break from the house.

View attachment 499826

Which site were you in... almost went this year, had reserved and canceled in that area of pull through as I think.. just wondering if that is what I am looking at...

The whole area is pull throught. We where in sites 177 and 178. They are long enough for our rigs at 42' long. The power and sewer is at the rear most corner of the site, so be prepared to run a lot of hose out and we needed a 50A extension cord to reach (glad I always pack one)

Some really nice trips. Since my FW trip cancelled we're going to Rocky Mountain NP instead, but that's still weeks away. I need a quick weekend somewhere or I'm going to go nuts!

I did a Grand Canyon and Utah trip a few years ago, I'll PM you a link documenting my trip if you'd like. Also, your rig is probably not camping in most NPs in Utah and Grand Canyon. If you can't find reservations at private parks, there is a ton of USFS and BLM land near all the major spots you want to hit if the family is dry camping prepared. I wish we used those opportunities more.

Jack

I did a Grand Canyon and Utah trip a few years ago, I'll PM you a link documenting my trip if you'd like. Also, your rig is probably not camping in most NPs in Utah and Grand Canyon. If you can't find reservations at private parks, there is a ton of USFS and BLM land near all the major spots you want to hit if the family is dry camping prepared. I wish we used those opportunities more.
Thanks Jack,

Please send me the link. I love reading through other people's travels. It give me ideas.

I knew when I bought the new 5er I was "sized out" of many NPS campgrounds. My old one was 31 ft and I could visually make the 30ft limit at many places. Not as easy being 42 ft. My old 5er was also equipped for long term dry camping (dual batteries, generator and big holding tanks. I still have the generator from my old 5er, but it is only 3600 watts and I've never taken the time to install it in the new trailer.
Before I ventured out to likely dry camping, I would put it back in and wire it up.

Plans for next year are to go to Europe for an extended trip ending at DLP. After that, we may look at the western swing. When I was racing, there was a track east of Denver. We went out early and went through the RMNP, staying in Estes Park and Colorado Springs. We did all the tourist things and had a great time. Truly amazing views. Driving through the park in a dually was a bit terrifying at times. Something about climbing above the ridge line where all you see is sky in a great big truck with only a little 2 ft rock wall to keep you from going flying off is a little un-nerving.

We enjoyed the trip, but recognized we are beach people at heart. There are still many places out west we would like to explore though. So much to see, so little vacation days.

j

Thanks Jack,

Something about climbing above the ridge line where all you see is sky in a great big truck with only a little 2 ft rock wall to keep you from going flying off is a little un-nerving.

That's my wife's "favorite part". She had a blast both times we drove up Pike's Peak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!