My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

disneygpa

DIS Veteran
Hi All!! This is my first DIS board post, and hopefully won't be my last. I'm going to do my best to make post about my progress and training in here on my way to the Dopey challenge in 2020.

A brief history of how I got here:

I used to run all the time in high school, then I joined the Navy and did my best to live up to the Navy traditions! Slowly, life got in the way of running and I started packing on the pounds. 33 years later I was obese and tired. Now, I was 51 with two grandsons that I couldn't keep up with and I dearly wanted to be able to enjoy life with them!! In 2017 I decided to have weight loss surgery (bariatric sleeve). The surgery was a major success!! In 6 months I dropped 65lbs and started running again! Slowly at first, but I was able to get my training runs down to 9 min miles in 6 months! In late June 2018 I started training for my first half marathon.

Then, disaster. I totaled my baby (Camaro), and broke my L1 vertebrae and sternum, I'm now fused from T12 to L2. Doc said no running for 90 days :sad:. Well, my 90 days are up and I've started training again. Doc says 2 weeks on the bike before running, so I did my first bike ride last night. 45 min 15 miles on my stationary recumbent bike(sooooo boring). Physical therapy twice a week, 3 bike rides per week and I hope to start back running October 15th.

The plan is to start with C25K again and build back up! I've got to do a lot of core training along with the running. I've signed up to do a 5k in December, with plans to follow up with a 10k early next spring and a half marathon by Sept. Then I will switch my training to Hal Higdon's training for the Dopey.

I've never done anything more than a 10k, so the Dopey will be my first full marathon. I'll happily listen to all suggestions!!

I usually post screen shots of some of my runs on my Instagram, if you care to follow along look for disneygpa over there. I'm sure there is a way to link to that, but I'm sort of technically challenged!

I've really enjoyed following others training journals so far! It has kept my spirits up when I couldn't run!

You sound like you've got such a positive mindset! With that, you can do anything! Looking forward to following along!

Good for you! I did Dopey last year, actually that would be this year but it seems so long ago!!! I struggled but finished and want to try again in 2020 with a more respectable finish. I'm working through some health issues but plan on starting back with a 5k training as well. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your journey!

Good to hear you're recovering. I'm not that far behind you age-wise, and also a Camaro fan (although I've never owned one). Dopey in 2020 is one heck of a goal from where you are now, but it sounds like you can do it.

Thanks for all the responses!

Yesterday was my first PT day! The therapist had me do 7 min on the elliptical for a warm up and then several core exercises including planks, side plank and exercise ball work. Then we did some strength training for my back with the elastic bands and the TRX. After that we did what kind of resembles a leg press machine but it was just a slide where she wanted me to push off with one leg and "quietly" land on the other leg and then switch. Finally, we finished up with my favorite part, the ice pack and the TENS machine! If you've never used a TENS machine it feels great!!

She says I'm doing great and that she thinks my goal of starting to run by the 15th of this month is achievable.

Speaking of goals here is what I have penciled in for the immediate future.
1. Run again
2. Complete C25K again
3. Run a 5K before the end of the year
4. Run a 10K early next spring
5. Run half marathon in September
6. Dopey in 2020

Tonight will be 45 min on the stationary recumbent and then maybe mow the lawn if it isn't too wet!

Last nights bike ride was boring as ever. I really miss being outside running... 45 min, 16 miles on the stationary recumbent bike.
Lots of the Pantera station on Pandora:rockband:

My back is a little stiff this morning, but it usually works itself out once I get moving! Back to the physical therapist tonight. That should be fun!!

And since I blew off mowing the yard, I'll probably have to do that tonight. It's supposed to be sunny this afternoon so maybe I can get it done. The rainy season in Seattle has begun and will continue until next July..... gotta really plan for these sunny days!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Good to hear you're recovering. I'm not that far behind you age-wise, and also a Camaro fan (although I've never owned one). Dopey in 2020 is one heck of a goal from where you are now, but it sounds like you can do it.

I've owned two Camaro's now. First one I bought I had to get rid of when the kids came along. They are not practical for car seats. Fast forward 27 years, kids were finally grown so I bought one as a graduation gift to myself with the plan to give it to my oldest grandson when he was responsible enough to have it. Well, that plan has changed now that it is in the scrap yard... :sad:

Whew! PT was a workout! TRX work included squats, side to side jumps and incline pull ups. Also, did something new with exercise bands. Put one above my knees and one above my ankles then did a partial squat and walked forward, then side steps and finally walked backward. Who knew you could get such a great workout from a couple of fancy rubber bands! After that was bridges with the exercise ball. Followed by leaps and leg-kick-backs on the sliding machine thingy. Finally my favorite part... ten minutes on the TENS machine with an ice pack!!

Back is a little stiff this morning, but so is most of my core!

The therapist gave me an app to download that includes a prescribed workout. I have to do my bike work tonight, so I'm going to try the app workout this weekend.

Still didn't mow the lawn.... but Saturday is looking sunny so maybe I'll get to it then!!

Resistance bands are awesome! I try to incorporate it into my workouts twice a week so I can build strength without the bulk. And they're so tiny that I can bring them with me when I travel.

I've owned two Camaro's now. First one I bought I had to get rid of when the kids came along. They are not practical for car seats. Fast forward 27 years, kids were finally grown so I bought one as a graduation gift to myself with the plan to give it to my oldest grandson when he was responsible enough to have it. Well, that plan has changed now that it is in the scrap yard... :sad:

Never could afford one before kids, and haven't gotten rid of the last kid yet. And I think if I got one now, I'd have to pry my daughter out of it with a crowbar. (She's a Transformers fan. When they had a yellow-and-black Camaro in the Test Track exit area, she was all over it.) I did get to rent a Camaro convertible for a weekend in Monterey a year or two back - that was a blast. Maybe when I'm done paying for colleges...

Resistance bands are awesome! I try to incorporate it into my workouts twice a week so I can build strength without the bulk. And they're so tiny that I can bring them with me when I travel.

I'm old school and always thought if the plates weren't clanking I wasn't working hard enough. But those bands were a really difficult workout!!

This brings up a question for me. For working out, what do you guys do besides run? Before my accident I had just started doing some body weight exercises, but after doing the PT I think I'll be incorporating the bands and Swiss ball into my workouts.

Last nights bike ride turned out to be a 5 mile walk with my wife instead. Felt good to get out and stretch the legs, though the back was pretty tired after the long walk. Slept like a log last night!!

Today is definitely going to be a yard mowing day. Last day of sunshine for awhile around here! But first, go out and straighten up the garage.

I'm old school and always thought if the plates weren't clanking I wasn't working hard enough. But those bands were a really difficult workout!!

This brings up a question for me. For working out, what do you guys do besides run? Before my accident I had just started doing some body weight exercises, but after doing the PT I think I'll be incorporating the bands and Swiss ball into my workouts.
Disclaimer: I am a new-ish runner (2 years) and I am not an expert at anything. These exercises are not specific for runners but ones that my trainer and I felt were important in making me stronger, increase my mobility and to make sure I don’t get injured. Running has been the most effective for me, in terms of weight loss, and I’m hooked on running at Disney so I’m not going to do anything to mess that up!

In addition to running, I take 2 spin classes and a bootcamp class every week. 4 times a week, I will do compound exercises, such as squats, lunges, assisted pull ups, dips, rows, deadlifts, push ups, etc... I should do more core work but I really hate doing it.

As mentioned, I will use the resistance bands twice a week for exercises like side steps, squats / jump squats and side leg raises.

Whatever exercises you incorporate into your routine, I think it’s important to change things up every once in a while.

Thanks for the feedback Princess!! Most everything I'm doing right now in physical therapy is for my core and I'm definitely going to keep doing the stretches and exercises the therapist has given me! I installed a TRX in my garage over the weekend and have some bands on order. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the garage a little warmer for the winter!

Sounds like you are really busy with your workouts!

Yesterday was a lazy day for me. Had church, errands to run, visit a friend and then family dinner! Dinner was followed up by our Universal Yums box! (look it up, it's super fun) Lot's of laughter, especially when my wife had to eat the spicy seaweed roll up!

One more week until I can start to run (jog) again. I can't wait!

Thanks for the feedback Princess!! Most everything I'm doing right now in physical therapy is for my core and I'm definitely going to keep doing the stretches and exercises the therapist has given me! I installed a TRX in my garage over the weekend and have some bands on order. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the garage a little warmer for the winter!

Sounds like you are really busy with your workouts!

Yesterday was a lazy day for me. Had church, errands to run, visit a friend and then family dinner! Dinner was followed up by our Universal Yums box! (look it up, it's super fun) Lot's of laughter, especially when my wife had to eat the spicy seaweed roll up!

One more week until I can start to run (jog) again. I can't wait!
So...the real reason I’m always at the gym is so that I can use the steam room. :)

I looked up Universal Yums - that’s a great way to try new things!

Last nights workout got off to a late start. My wife joined me for stretching and then a workout with the TRX and bands. After an hour we were both spent!
Woke up this morning to a very stiff back. It usually feels better after I get up and groovin' and today was no exception.

So, a bit of exciting news! My wife has decided to join me on this Dopey journey! Her and a girlfriend have decided to try to run the 5K and half!! I'm super excited about this!

PT tonight so we'll see what kind of new torture the therapist has for me!

So something happened last Thursday at therapy that has been troubling me. I had a different therapist than normal, and when I shared my plans to run the Dopey in 2020, he seemed skeptical about my chances. I'm not going to give up on this goal! But, I am curious if others feel the same way? Am I being too optimistic?

So something happened last Thursday at therapy that has been troubling me. I had a different therapist than normal, and when I shared my plans to run the Dopey in 2020, he seemed skeptical about my chances. I'm not going to give up on this goal! But, I am curious if others feel the same way? Am I being too optimistic?

Did the therapist give a reason? I feel like 15 months is plenty of time to train from 10k to Dopey. Just have to be consistent in training and keep the needle moving forward. If you want it, you can do it.

Did the therapist give a reason? I feel like 15 months is plenty of time to train from 10k to Dopey. Just have to be consistent in training and keep the needle moving forward. If you want it, you can do it.

He didn't really say it with words. It was more a feeling I got from him. I'm basically starting from scratch with running. My first run in a little over 3 months will be Monday. I'm going to start with 10 30/30 run/walk splits. My first goal is to be back to a 5k by December.

He didn't really say it with words. It was more a feeling I got from him. I'm basically starting from scratch with running. My first run in a little over 3 months will be Monday. I'm going to start with 10 30/30 run/walk splits. My first goal is to be back to a 5k by December.

Fair enough. Well I'd say you can be prepared for it if you put in good consistent training from now until then. I believe it's absolutely doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!