Well, this is unbelievable...

gusmydog

Earning My Ears
Here we are...3 1/2 days away from flying out to WDW and my whole crew is sick, terribly sick! DS (age 5) has scarlet fever AND chicken pox, DD (age 3) has an ear infection and her ear tubes fell out yesterday, and DH is in the back bedroom throwing up repeatedly!!! Now beat that! Oh, almost forgot, had to cancel DS's 5th birthday party for tomorrow afternoon -- he's devastated! Here's to hoping things turn around drastically within the next 3 days! Knowing my luck, I'll get them all better and then it will be my turn!

Wow....that sounds like a nightmare! I always worry that someone will be sick on vacation. At least these things usually end as quickly as they start with kids, so even though the days seem to be never-ending when they're sick, as you noted, they could all be better in 3 days, and you'll certainly need a vacation then!

You might want your DH to get a strep test....I have a dd who vomits repeatedly when she gets strep.....it's not a typical reaction but it does happen. It'd almost be good news if it's strep and not a stomach virus since with an antibiotic, strep would be better in 24 hours and since your other kids are presumably already on antibiotics, it'd be unlikely that they'd get it.

Hope everybody is well soon and that it turns out to be a great vacation afterall!

I hope everyone feels better. I'm so sorry about you having to cancel your DS's B day party. I had to cancel my DD's 3rd B day party because my grandmother died. I'm sure you can find something special to do at WDW to make up for it.

I feel so bad for you. I know how much I'm looking forward to my trip in April so I think I know how you feel. I hope everything turns out ok for you and that you are able to go on your trip and have a great time.

Hope everyone gets well soon.My son had ear problems too.We gave him tylenol,dimetapp and used ear planes and he did not have a problem on the plane.When I skipped the dimetapp he did have some discomfort.His ears had fluid the day before we flew he was just recovering from an infection. Hope all goes well.

Hope that your family are all feeling better soon - better to be ill now than during your holiday (oops! vacation), the first time we took our son to Florida he was 2 1/2 and on our first night in Cocoa Beach he had a convulsion and was rushed to Cpae Caneveral Hospital - it was so frightening, the next holiday in Florida he had Tonsilitis and his throat swab showed MRSA so this time we had to rush to a childrens hospital in St. Petersburg, only to be told that it was more likely that his swab was contaminated - and it was 2 all clears after that, and the week before my youngest DS had an allergic reaction after eating something fried in peanut oil, but 3 years aga we took them both to Florida without a visit to a hospital so we are hoping that we can repeat this in Florida but if not I shall be prepared.

Are you able to leave at a later date and salvage some of the trip? I sure hope you're all feeling better soon! I guess if you want to try to look on the bright side, if you're able to go you'll get a fridge in your room for free now. Disney gives them to you if you need to keep medicine cold--and I'm assuming you guys are on antibiotics, especially for the ear infections!
:p

Thanks so much for all the sympathy and encouragement! That's what I needed! Here's how we have progressed: DH is all better (just a 12-hour virus!), DD is perfectly fine now (her antibiotics seem to have taken care of her ear infection but we'll stay on it just to make sure!), but the problem still lies with DS. Took him back to the dr. yesterday AM and they are puzzled -- they almost put him in the hospital but said they would wait to make a decision until today (they sent us home with 5 new medication to try!). The scarlet fever/chicken pox has just ravaged his little body -- it looks like a war zone. We told them our plight about our Disney trip and things are looking up...with the new medications, he seems to be doing much better. He even slept the night through last night (and is still asleep now!). We've got 2 more days so maybe we'll still get to go to Disney!!! We should know by tonight (when we see what kind of day we have today). Of course, the most important thing is him and his health and he really does seem to be turning around. Keep your fingers crossed!

I for one am pulling and praying for you!! I have 3 kids and invariable someone throws up as we are on the way out the door for a vacation! Last year, while driving from NY to Miami for a cruise my DD age 8 either got food poisoning or a stomach virus. Oh boy. Well, no one else wound up coming down with it, but I just kept waiting for the axe to fall!!!
Best of luck, I hope you guys make it down in 2 days! Let us know!!

I'll be praying for you and your family. Your poor son. He must have felt awful. I hope everyone has is well in time for your trip. Please keep us updated.

Well, I THINK we're going to get to leave tomorrow for DW! Had another scare at lunch today...DD's daycare teacher called and said she thought she was breaking out with chicken pox too! Turned out to be diaper rash (I hope!) unless something changes overnight. So...right now, all systems are go!!!!

Well, I hope we don't hear from you again ;) Here's to having a great vacation in Disney!!

Hope everyone is all better and able to go to WDW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have an awesome trip!!

Isn't that just the way it goes!!!

We took a short trip to WDW in December and our DS (then 9 mo. old) was sick almost the entire time. He had been perfectly healthy for months, then we get there and he won't eat or sleep. :rolleyes:

Take LOTS of antibiotics! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter