Well, that didn't go just quite as planned ..... an Aug/Sept 17 Update 07/12

party: To all of our friends here on the DISboards party:

i-9BkHrgD-XL.jpg

Tom looks at home behind the bar

He is! We used to have a little bar at home and he enjoyed mixing a lot of drinks. So it was just fitting, he was chosen. :goodvibes

Great job on the towel animal :thumbsup2

I had gotten the book about how to make them years ago, but never tried. This was the perfect opportunity and it was fun to do.

This looks delicious

It is one of my favourite dishes on DCL. ::yes::

I agree doesn't look like carrot cake:confused3

It was a huge letdown. :rotfl:

Happy New Year!!! :cool1:

Thank you and Happy New Year to you too!

i-4BWLd2x-L.jpg

Day 11, September 01

Off the boat and on with the party - part 1

The alarm clock rang early as we needed to be out the room by 8am. We quickly took showers and then asked our stateroom host if we could leave our luggage in the room until after we had had a quick breakfast at Cabanas and she had nothing against our plan.
So we headed up to Cabanas which was buzzing with people and picked up

i-xV8xp3n-L.jpg

i-Mw8ZHqt-L.jpg

some fruit and

i-ZQj7dcL-L.jpg

i-q2mNkcn-L.jpg

breakfast fare and then found a seat. I was guarding our seats while Tom went to get some

i-2M3qfcq-L.jpg

i-q7Jtfmv-L.jpg

Coke, tea and coffee. We both were not very hungry and soon we were done with our breakfast, headed back to our room,

i-DrhH9Xg-L.jpg

one last restroom break, grabbed our luggage and off we went. We must have picked a good time, as there was just a very short line to sign off the ship, go down the escalator and find a porter to help with luggage. The porter knew exactly where to find our luggage, loaded it on his trolley and we got in line for passport control and customs. The line moved pretty fast and soon we were on the way to our parked car.
Luggage loaded into the car and we were on our way to Walt Disney World by 10 to 9.
We did one more drive around to wave goodbye to the Dream

i-vBdNcXV-L.jpg

and then we were really heading towards Orlando again. The drive was pretty uneventful

i-GtR49fh-L.jpg

i-n36hNRP-L.jpg

and at half past 10 we had made it to the Yacht Club. We dropped off the luggage at Bell Services, parked the car and went to check-in and pick up our Magic Bands. Needless to say that our room was not ready but that was what we had expected. So we just headed over to Epcot. No line at the International Gateway and we were in.

i-SjxChzx-XL.jpg

We had been so looking forward to it, as we had never had the chance of being at Epcot during Food and Wine and this time it started so early that we now had close to a week to enjoy it all. The booths had already opened and we hungry, having only had a small(ish) breakfast. So, our first stop was Canada, where Tom had

i-PZwpWNH-XL.jpg

a Moosehead, and I had gotten

i-t5H9g2W-XL.jpg

a bottle of water and we had decided on getting the

i-Fc9R5Bv-L.jpg

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup served with a Pretzel Roll and the

i-DM9PX2z-L.jpg

“Le Cellier” Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle-Butter Sauce. We have not been to Le Cellier in a long time, so that was the perfect treat and it was gone in no time. We did not have time to try something else, as we had to make our way over to the Festival Center for a Culinary Demonstration on Tuna.
It did take a bit until we found the Festival Center and until we had finally figured out where the demonstration took place. We showed our tickets, were asked into the area and found a table.

i-zkCxdmh-L.jpg

Unfortunately the air conditioning started to get to me and it was time to use many a handkerchiefs again while watching the chef preparing the dish.

i-9dVcKTz-L.jpg

i-M9QSzB8-XL.jpg

i-2XcRjLz-L.jpg

i-PW955Zj-L.jpg

i-MDrj33w-L.jpg

i-5p3GW2s-L.jpg

i-nXDbrkS-L.jpg

While he was still perfecting his dish we were served a tasting portion,

i-pthL7qT-L.jpg

i-48kNTfN-L.jpg

which was very good. Once the presentation was over we walked through Epcot for a while until we got an email stating that our room was ready.

To be continued ........

Last edited:

I've been reading along but haven't stopped long enough to post so I'll just pick up with the last one. You guys had a fabulous cruise and are off to a great start on the Walt Disney World post cruise portion of the trip.

Playing catch up again! Boo to getting kicked off the ship but yay for heading to F&W!

Jill in CO

Getting thrown off the ship is always better when you have a stay at WDW to look forward to!

What a wonderful cruise mad even better knowing you have this to look forward to pixiedust:

and at half past 10 we had made it to the Yacht Club. We dropped off the luggage at Bell Services, parked the car and went to check-in and pick up our Magic Bands. Needless to say that our room was not ready but that was what we had expected. So we just headed over to Epcot. No line at the International Gateway and we were in.

You made really great time :car:
We had been so looking forward to it, as we had never had the chance of being at Epcot during Food and Wine
So glad you got to experience F & G :flower1:

YUM definitely getting this in March ::yes::

While he was still perfecting his dish we were served a tasting portion,
So you learn and they feed you :thumbsup2

Happy New Year! I am not around here much lately, but I do try to check back here and there. Sorry your cruise is over, but nice you have Food & wine ahead!

Hello Karin! I'm not On much lately, but I check in on you here and there. Hope you are well, I know you were sick for a bit. Sad your cruise is over, but Yzy! For food & wine for foodies like you two!!!

i-4BWLd2x-L.jpg

Day 11, September 01

Off the boat and on with the party - part 2

Once the presentation was over we walked through Epcot for a while until we got an email stating that our room was ready.
Reason enough to head back to the resort and check it out.

i-PXzBzmw-L.jpg

i-8DfwTFX-L.jpg

Walked up and it was at the very end of a corridor, I opened the door and this is a room with only one bed. Now, I had booked that room, so we would have two beds and now feeling sick and having this room, really got to me. We were on our way back to the front desk, when we came across a cast member who wanted to know if there was something wrong. We told her and she took us to the head of housekeeping to find out if there were any other rooms available.
Housekeeping didn’t find anything, but they walked us back to the room to show us this newly renovated room and pointed out how nice it was.
Still I wasn’t convinced. So she said goodbye and we were talking about going back to the front desk.
This is when Tom mentioned that the room was nice, he didn’t mind sleeping on the pull out sofa and why not have a look at the view first, we could then still go back to the front desk. So we entered the room again and discovered that instead of the standard room, with a view of the parking lot, we had been put in a water view room.

i-knxvbsC-L.jpg

Okay, this sealed the deal in the end.

The view was awesome, we would keep the room.

Quick call to bell services and they brought up our luggage and a present our friend Jeff had sent us

i-Fp2kxTk-XL.jpg

i-sdjc9M7-XL.jpg

and we had moved in.

i-jFD3968-XL.jpg

i-BR37KMv-XL.jpg

i-6XgJTXp-XL.jpg

i-8N8qHPz-XL.jpg

i-GHR8LhC-L.jpg

i-NCSTGwZ-XL.jpg

i-MZf6sWH-L.jpg

i-VxjVC5h-XL.jpg

There was still time to do a little shopping, so we would have some snacks in the room. Off we went to Publix for a little grocery shopping. When we got back we unpacked just enough to get us over the next few days until we would move to the Beach Club, rested a bit and then changed into Party gear to head over to the Contemporary Resort for dinner

i-vFrkLzH-L.jpg

before we were to hit the Magic Kingdom for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. When we arrived at the restaurant, our friends Teresa and Mickey and Pamela

i-kjr3SkT-XL.jpg

and her mum Jeanette were already waiting for us and we quickly signed in at the restaurant, sat down in the lounge and as soon as everyone was sat down a hostess came to take us to our table and handed us the menus. There was lots of chatting going on and we had such a fun time that when the server came to take our order we had not even had a look at it yet.
So we ordered our drinks and promised to know what to order when she returned.
It was not as easy as it sounds, as we had a vegetarian and one person with allergies in our group, but everything was settled quickly and we were able to place our orders and then were yapping away, knowing that we needed to make the best of our time as Teresa and Mickey would go on a Disney Fantasy cruise the next day and Pamela and Jeanette were flying out to the West Coast to get on an Alaskan cruise on the Disney Wonder.
Time flew by and we were served our starters.
Tom had opted for the

i-TBpD2gF-L.jpg

i-MWVQkNn-L.jpg

Bacon and Eggs, Maple-lacquered Pork Belly with Perfect Egg and Tillamook Smoked Cheddar Grits, which was delicious. My choice was the

i-bhcqcDQ-L.jpg

Caesar Salad, Buttermilk Caesar Dressing, Brown Butter Croutons, and Shaved Pecorino Romano which was very tasty, but also a huge portion. We did our best to finish our starters and Tom succeeded, while I had to give in about three quarters in.
There was no time to rest as all too soon our main courses arrived. Tom was served the

i-vwXpDZt-L.jpg

Braised Short Rib, Goat Cheese Polenta, Artichoke and Arugula Salad and a Charred Onion Vinaigrette, which not only looked good, but tasted superb as well. Meat melting in your mouth. I had opted for the veggie opion, the

i-hFN8c9z-L.jpg

i-cmGgGXs-L.jpg

Seared Potato Gnocchi, Butternut Squash, Forest Mushrooms, Rainbow Swiss Chard with a Brown Butter-Parmesan-Sage Cream. Perfect choice, but again I could not finish it. A few of us had opted for dessert as well

i-k25kqn4-L.jpg

and I was happy to see the

i-hJN3Gf2-L.jpg

Chocolate Flight, a Trio of Petite Chocolate Desserts brought out. All the little desserts were yummy, but you have to love chocolate if you want to indulge in them. Bellies full we were now ready to head over to the Magic Kingdom to pick up more sweet treats.

Didn’t take long and we had arrived at the park, scanned our Magic Bands and been given our wristbands and off we went into the park.

To be continued ........

Last edited:
Yay so glad to see an update :goodvibes

So we entered the room again and discovered that instead of the standard room, with a view of the parking lot, we had been put in a water view room.

Excellent upgrade!

Great view I don't blame you for staying

I noticed after the refurbs a lot of the resort showers now have the double shower head. How did you like it and did you use the hand held? Just curious how the water pressure was with the hand held?

Love this shot ::yes::

Seared Potato Gnocchi, Butternut Squash, Forest Mushrooms, Rainbow Swiss Chard with a Brown Butter-Parmesan-Sage Cream. Perfect choice, but again I could not finish it.

This looks and sounds delicious!

Yay! Another update with a lot of familiar faces! Missing all of you guys!

Jill in CO

So were you staying at the Yacht Club?

It's too bad they didn't honor your request for two beds. But the room did have a nice view!

Great to see some now familiar faces, someday I'll have to make it to the Wave, but other places just keep winning out!

Your balcony view was really nice but it's really too bad that they didn't honor your request for two beds when you're spending that kind of money at The Yacht Club. So nice that you got to have dinner with friends at The Wave which is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW!

So sad that the cruise is over...but you jumped right into more fun!

Thankfully we always have an add on after a cruise. Too dangerous booking a flight right after it and so much more fun if you have a few more "play" days left.

What a wonderful cruise made even better knowing you have this to look forward to pixiedust:

It was a short but sweet cruise and we enjoyed it quite a bit. And we were really looking forward to F&W. It was the first time they had started that early and we were able to experience it.

I am not around here much lately, but I do try to check back here and there. Sorry your cruise is over, but nice you have Food & wine ahead!

No problem, Tammie. I seem to be absent quite a bit myself. But this is still my go to for information and get my Disney fix while waiting for the next trip.
It was a short cruise and we had cut it short intentionally as F&W was starting early that year and we were determined to experience it.

I've been reading along but haven't stopped long enough to post so I'll just pick up with the last one. You guys had a fabulous cruise and are off to a great start on the Walt Disney World post cruise portion of the trip.

Just reading and no time to post seems to be my life! :rotfl: It had been a fun time so far, but things were about to get "stormy". ;)

Playing catch up again! Boo to getting kicked off the ship but yay for heading to F&W!

Jill in CO

Playing catch up is just what I seem to do all the time. ::yes:: F&W was awesome, we enjoyed it a lot and even a little longer than expected. ;)

Getting thrown off the ship is always better when you have a stay at WDW to look forward to!

Could not have said it any better!

Great view I don't blame you for staying

The view and the fact that we had an exit a few steps from our room that led right to the pool let me forget that we had wanted two beds. :thumbsup2

I noticed after the refurbs a lot of the resort showers now have the double shower head. How did you like it and did you use the hand held? Just curious how the water pressure was with the hand held?

We loved the overhead one and I can't remember if the pressure of the hand held was different - guess not, as otherwise I might remember. ::yes::

This looks and sounds delicious!

The Gnocci are SO good. I really hope they are still on the menu, when we go back this summer.

Now those desserts look amazing!

You can't go wrong with chocolate, can you? ;)

Yay! Another update with a lot of familiar faces! Missing all of you guys!

Jill in CO

Missing you too! :grouphug:

So were you staying at the Yacht Club?

We just had a few nights to bridge over to the nights I could book on points at the BC. But I just adore the YC and was SO happy we were able to stay there.

It's too bad they didn't honor your request for two beds. But the room did have a nice view!

The view made up for the inconvenience of having to pull out the couch every day. And as I mentioned earlier, we were close to an exit with really easy access to the Stormalong Bay. :cheer2:

Great to see some now familiar faces, someday I'll have to make it to the Wave, but other places just keep winning out!

We just LOVE the Wave. I think I booked breakfast, lunch and dinner over the course of our next vacation. Not sure if we will keep lunch, but breakfast and dinner are a must do.

Your balcony view was really nice but it's really too bad that they didn't honor your request for two beds when you're spending that kind of money at The Yacht Club.

In the end it was a nice upgrade and I guess, not being really healthy was the reason for the first disappointment. But it turned out to be really nice.

So nice that you got to have dinner with friends at The Wave which is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW!

We had so much fun. And funnily enough Teri and Mickey as well as Pamela and JJ were DISfriends who we met on the Disney Wonder - Disney friends are the BEST!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts