Well I can’t tell peeps that I know. DD boyfriend has a ring!

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
DD has dated BF 2 years today.
DD is in college, BF is in navy training.
I sent BF a photo of their prom picture and wrote happy day. I expected no reply.
He sent a picture of a ring and ? Do you like it.
He gets to see her spring break and I think he is giving it to her then and I think it’s a promise ring. Awwwwww DD is going to cry.
Tiny update. BF told DD I sent your mom picture of your gift. And then he said ~she liked it. Then during their conversation he accidentally said ring but he did not realize it BUT ohhhh DD did. So he told her it is a promise ring. Whew sooo glad I kept the secret.

Last edited:

awwww, how exciting. My oldest got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and I got photos of the ring a week prior as well---that's a hard but fun secret to keep

Last edited:
DD22 got engaged in December. Her boyfriend of 4.5 years told us the last weekend of October. It was a long six weeks...Luckily, she lives three hours away so I only saw her twice in that time.

Happy secret keeping.

Congratulations! Sounds like you approve of the BF and are happy for your daughter (or actually for both of them).

I’m guessing a “promise ring” in this situation translates to pre-engagement. Don’t know anyone personally that had/has a ring like that; the only ones I’ve heard of were worn as a symbol of purity before marriage.

awwww, how exciting. My oldest got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and I got photos of the ring a week prior as well---that's a hard but fun secret to keep

Congratulations! DD got engaged the first weekend of October, and the wedding is in June. Her fiance called us the day before proposed, talked to us for about an hour, and sent pictures of the ring on FB. I don't know how anyone keeps that kind of a secret for very long; 24 hours almost killed me! I was so excited, I thought I'd explode! Hope you are all as happy as we are!

My DS26 just proposed Sunday. However, he bought the ring in October! They bought a house and moved in after Christmas. Then he wanted to wait until they were settled in the house. He did call her parents to let them know Sunday was the day. It was a long Sunday morning! She was stunned. He had called her parents to tell them his intentions around Thanksgiving.

Congratulations! DD got engaged the first weekend of October, and the wedding is in June. Her fiance called us the day before proposed, talked to us for about an hour, and sent pictures of the ring on FB. I don't know how anyone keeps that kind of a secret for very long; 24 hours almost killed me! I was so excited, I thought I'd explode! Hope you are all as happy as we are!

Congrautlations as well! June will be here before you know it----how fun!
Yes, we are very happy---they are a really good couple, so supportive of one another and full of plans for the future.

I think it’s a promise ring.

Ok, so first I thought this was one of those "virgin until you are married rings" and got confused. Apparently this is a pre-engagement ring?!??!?

I don't know who the marketing director at Zales is, but he or she is an evil genius.

I did not realize people that age still gave promise rings after dating for 2 years. I mean, I got married at 22 and we started dating at 19 and we both knew we would get married, so my husband went straight for the engagement ring after 2 years.

Oh, wait. This is like the whole "wearing my boyfriend's letter jacket"/class ring thing? Only now they want you to buy something? Right?

Oh, wait. This is like the whole "wearing my boyfriend's letter jacket"/class ring thing? Only now they want you to buy something? Right?

This isn't new. This has been around for decades. I just had a relative talk about her promise ring she would have received in the mid 70s. I didn't know it was still something that happened though.

How exciting!! My DS showed us the engagement ring before he proposed and told us about his proposal plan. I stayed away from his fiancee - I didn't want to give the secret away!! Luckily, it was only about two weeks that I had to keep the secret!

I did not realize people that age still gave promise rings after dating for 2 years. I mean, I got married at 22 and we started dating at 19 and we both knew we would get married, so my husband went straight for the engagement ring after 2 years.
People all have different reasons.

Met husband at 19 he was 18. First anniversary promise ring given so I was 20 at the time. Marriage was def. talked about but neither of us wanted 1) a long long engagement 2) to get married while in college. Sometimes you don't find the person until a bit later and the sentiment behind the promise ring stays the same as if you were 14,15,16+.

I wore that promise ring for 4 1/2 years. Engagement ring given just over a year after my husband had graduated college (I graduated a year before him) and we had a 9 month engagement. Don't see much difference between people being engaged for years and someone wearing a promise ring for years and an engagement ring for shorter time period. OR wearing a promise ring for years and engagement ring for years.

It's not the age, nor the length of time someone is dating when it comes to promise, engagement and wedding rings. It's whatever circumtances people find themselves in. That said the older you are the less likely you'll probably run into people with promise rings vs engagement rings. FWIW I don't consider college age to be under that "older you are" definition.

DH gave me a pre-engagement ring after a year of dating (I was only 17) and an engagement ring the night before I turned 18. We got married the following summer and will be celebrating 42 years of marriage this year. Congrats to your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter