Well, Ding dangit. I broke my toe! Scootering around the parks?

We're leaving in two weeks and I somehow have broken a toe.

My past 2 trips to Disney have been solo trips and using an ECV. My next one is going to solo as well with an ECV. I had no problems navigating most areas of the parks. 99% of the people that I encountered were very helpful. Even had a few people offer to run "interference" for me in the Emporium one night around fireworks time. Other guests were always offering to hold open doors, etc.

Since you used the word "We", I'm assuming that you will not be going alone. If you are uncomfortable about using the ECV in crowds, have your group surround you as you drive to act as a buffer. If it's just you and another person, have them walk in front to act as a "pathfinder". It'll keep some of the mental stress of operating an ECV lower.

I agree with others that have posted about "practicing" in a local store to get used to using one. Also agree to rent one from off property. I've used Buena Vista scooter both times with satisfaction.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll answer as best I can.

Good luck on your recovery!

So an interesting twist to my story!

First, I am fine renting a scooter. Looking into who will give us newest, most reliable scooter. (also wondering if anyone offers discounts via anything?)
but now...my husband is suffering from intense back pain. His sacrum is shifting and he has degenerative disc disease and while this has been a long time issue....he is in pain.

I told him he should also rent a scooter but his pride has gotten the best of him. I'm wondering if, after day one, he agrees he needs one, will we be able to get one last minute. (not from disney)

First, I am fine renting a scooter. Looking into who will give us newest, most reliable scooter. (also wondering if anyone offers discounts via anything?)
but now...my husband is suffering from intense back pain. His sacrum is shifting and he has degenerative disc disease and while this has been a long time issue....he is in pain.

I told him he should also rent a scooter but his pride has gotten the best of him. I'm wondering if, after day one, he agrees he needs one, will we be able to get one last minute. (not from disney)
I would have a few numbers of scooter places in your phone as you can rent them on short notice ( most of the time NYE Christmas day things like this it would be harder to do) but you should not have a problem finding something ( now you might not be able to be picky on a 4 wheel one verse a 3 wheel one and other things like this, but getting one should not be a big problem

as others have said keep numbers of rental places with you but also mention that you might need another when you rent yours and see what they say

Yes, remember the mantra "The turtle is my friend!" Arminnie, I totally agree with your attitude. I can remember the first time I used a scooter, I initially cried that I "had" to use one, then I got ready for all those nasty glares and comments I was sure I'd get. But you know what? People were so nice and helpful! Well, except for those who've perfected walking and texting at the same time-oh, but they forgot to look up and almost walk into me, then I get the glares. DH says that the biggest complaint he has about me using a scooter is that at the end of the day, when he's tired out, I want to keep going! And even though I had no experience, I find that the zig-zagging lines weren't too difficult to navigate.

I remember the first time I had to rent a scooter at WDW and I cried too. I have had MS since 1991. In 2002 I could no longer walk long distances and had to rent a scooter at Epcot. Using the scooter enabled me to enjoy my trips to Disney. I use a scooter all the time now and I don't think I have ever gotten any dirty looks.

My husband broke his foot while at WDW in 2016 running the wine and dine half marathon, and thanks to the awesome Disboards I knew exactly how to find which vendors to call, we ended up going with a knee scooter (huge mistake) but each vendor had quite a few ECVs available for same day rental as well.

Interesting thread. I came here to see what people were saying about knee scooters as I just ordered one (as a purchase) for a family member. I bought the All Terrain Quad Knee Scooter. It can go over any surface to include grass, sand, gravel, etc. It is quite expensive compared to the other models, but I read some of the less expensive models were not good for certain surfaces and also were not as stable and this person is a little clumsy so if it easily tips, he would end up tippng it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter