"Welcome Home" Where did this greeting originate?

oswald1

DVC owner and DIS shareholder. Fanatic since 1976.
I just returned home from Cancun, MX where we stayed at a resort called, "Nizuc". At arrival all the bellmen (yes, all men) and front desk staff greeted us with "Welcome Home". I was a bit surprised to hear this because I thought this was unique to DVC properties. Does anyone know where this originated? Did Disney steal the phrase or did others steal it from Disney?

Was it a timeshare??

It’s a marketing thing.
First year of DVC it seemed special. After that, I always thought it was a bit silly.

Now that I live in Florida, it seems totally stupid, almost offensive.

I remember often hearing "Welcome Home" at US Customs
Geez, that would have been nice. US customs at O'Hare was an absolute zoo and we waited for hours. No one had a nice word to say.

I remember often hearing "Welcome Home" at US Customs
I think that is when I first heard it too. In the early 90s as a college student coming home from year abroad. Hunky guy at Detroit customs looked at my passport, smiled at me and said, “Welcome home, ____.” I almost burst into tears and kissed the ground. Could have kissed him too. Much more dramatic than Disney’s Welcome Home!! Don’t worry welcome home haters, I’m sure Disney will drop it soon enough just like they did Have a Magical day and the Disney music on the tvs, scents in the lobby, ladies and gentlemen. If one more person calls me “friend” at Disney I’m going to puke. “Reimagining,” or is it “reimagineering?”

Two words: Global Entry.

If you don't want to buy it (or already have PreCheck), there's also the Mobile Passport Control app.

Though Global Entry has been (I don't know what its like now) sort of a horror to get. Talk about waits.

My renewal--which did not require an interview--took eleven months. But that was 1-2 years ago.

My renewal--which did not require an interview--took eleven months. But that was 1-2 years ago.
It is very random. My family originally applied the same year, so we submitted our renewals at the same time. Three were processed within 2 weeks. The fourth took close to a year like yours did. None required an interview (though I understand sometimes they do want an interview for renewals) and there was no explanation why the fourth took so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter