Welcome Home Stay Decision (AKL vs BLT)

IsamarV14

DisCheerleader
It'll be our first DVC trip (YAY!) and we have about three options:
-AKL
-BLT
-SSR

SSR is our very last resort to choose, however, any pros or cons that you guys may like/dislike on the boards about AKL vs BLT that a newbie may not know. I'm here to listen! We are a couple in our 20's, love to visit the parks, very big foodies, and we stick to Disney transportation since we love not driving while on vacay since we drive every day in our reg lives.

Do you like MK a lot more than AK? If so, BLT is just a walk away from MK. Would you be getting a savannah view if you stayed at AK?

I don’t know any deep secrets that would rule out any of those choices. It’s your first trip of hopefully, many others. Have fun deciding.

I like seeing animals, so AKV savannah would be my first choice.

AKL has some great food options-and we always take a Lyft if we are in a hurry. Plus-giraffes. So beautiful there.

What is your timing?

AKV is problematic right now and will be until Jambo reopens. I would not expect or hang my hat on that until next summer at the earliest. Right now, none of the dining at Jambo is open. Only Sanaa and the pool QS at Kidani are operating, and even then Sanaa is on a modified operation.

BLT and CR are fully open, save for the lounge. It will be a better experience in that sense.

To a great extent, it probably depends on when. For a couple getting a studio using only Disney transportation, AKL Jambo and BLT would, in normal times, both be ideal except that the studios are smaller at BLT. Jambo has its unique African safari atmosphere, excellent restaurants, lots of activities, a good pool, excellent store, and usually decent bus service. BLT, with lake view and a request of high floor gives excellent views, use of the monorail to MK and Epcot, walking access to MK, boat service to Fort Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo, and with access to Contemporary , good restaurants and excellent stores.

The problem is that those descriptions do not apply during these Covid times. Currently, Jambo is almost useless to go to because restaurants and stores are closed, bus service has covid delay issues, and usual services are limited. Kidani is open but also has bus issues, lack of usual activities, but only one restaurant. BLT still has walking access to MK but the the resort monorail has more limited service, the monorail to Epcot is not running, some but not all restaurants are open, e.g. California Grille is still closed, and it appears boat service is gone. Nevertheless, if one were choosing between the AKL and BLT for a couple during these covid times, BLT is the much better choice unless your main and perhaps sole interest is to see animals.

Last edited:
What is your timing?

AKV is problematic right now and will be until Jambo reopens. I would not expect or hang my hat on that until next summer at the earliest. Right now, none of the dining at Jambo is open. Only Sanaa and the pool QS at Kidani are operating, and even then Sanaa is on a modified operation.

BLT and CR are fully open, save for the lounge. It will be a better experience in that sense.
100% agree here! I’m a foodie too and looove staying at AKL with their amazing food, amazing views/setting/lobby, and totally laid back atmosphere!!! However, with so much being closed right now, that would be a hard no for me. I love Sanaa, but I wouldn’t want to eat it at every single meal. My next stay is for BLT and I expect it to be a pretty “normal” visit (like my recent trip to BCV & RIV). Their QS isn’t great (IMO), but their TS is fantastic and it’s all open. Plus, with walkability to MK- you really can’t go wrong 😉

California Grille is still closed...
Cali Grill is definitely open- albeit modified. The only thing that is “closed” for them is their brunch service. I’ve got reservations there in less than a month & I can’t wait!!!

BLT has more dining options and obviously closer to MK. But AKV is overall hands down the nicer resort. Close to AK but further from the other parks.

Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to look at a split stay between AKL and BLT. This would give you a chance to get a feel for both of them. Maybe do AKL for 2 nights (and plan to do AK park during those days) and then do BLT for the rest of your trip.

We do split stays all the time and they are really easy. The morning of your move you just pack everything up and take your bags to bell services and ask them to transfer your luggage to your new resort. The luggage usually arrives at the new resort between 3-6pm. We usually plan a pretty full park day on our move day, since the room won't be ready until later in the afternoon.

Happy planning!!! :)

Do you like MK a lot more than AK? If so, BLT is just a walk away from MK. Would you be getting a savannah view if you stayed at AK?

I don’t know any deep secrets that would rule out any of those choices. It’s your first trip of hopefully, many others. Have fun deciding.

I like seeing animals, so AKV savannah would be my first choice.
The hard part deciding was that we won’t be getting a Savannah view room

What is your timing?

In about 3 weeks but I did not know about Jambi being almost all closed! So thank you! That’s major for us

To a great extent, it probably depends on when. For a couple getting a studio using only Disney transportation, AKL Jambo and BLT would, in normal times, both be ideal except that the studios are smaller at BLT. Jambo has its unique African safari atmosphere, excellent restaurants, lots of activities, a good pool, excellent store, and usually decent bus service. BLT, with lake view and a request of high floor gives excellent views, use of the monorail to MK and Epcot, walking access to MK, boat service to Fort Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo, and with access to Contemporary , good restaurants and excellent stores.

The problem is that those descriptions do not apply during these Covid times. Currently, Jambo is almost useless to go to because restaurants and stores are closed, bus service has covid delay issues, and usual services are limited. Kidani is open but also has bus issues, lack of usual activities, but only one restaurant. BLT still has walking access to MK but the the resort monorail has more limited service, the monorail to Epcot is not running, some but not all restaurants are open, e.g. California Grille is still closed, and it appears boat service is gone. Nevertheless, if one were choosing between the AKL and BLT for a couple during these covid times, BLT is the much better choice unless your main and perhaps sole interest is to see animals.

Thank you!! I knew about no monorail to epcot but seeing as our trip is only 3 days with very limited park time (by choice) I do think we would love the views better. Any chance know if BLT studios have a small balcony?

Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to look at a split stay between AKL and BLT. This would give you a chance to get a feel for both of them. Maybe do AKL for 2 nights (and plan to do AK park during those days) and then do BLT for the rest of your trip.

We do split stays all the time and they are really easy. The morning of your move you just pack everything up and take your bags to bell services and ask them to transfer your luggage to your new resort. The luggage usually arrives at the new resort between 3-6pm. We usually plan a pretty full park day on our move day, since the room won't be ready until later in the afternoon.

Happy planning!!! :)

This is a great idea! We are planning only 3 days but we can extend since we are very flexible. Thank you!!

With the input that it is soon, absolutely do BLT. The on-resort dining options are better, and you can monorail to GF or the TTC (and walk to Poly) if you can book at Kona or GF Cafe.

What room size? AKL vs BLT at the studio size is no competition at all, even with a magic kingdom view I hated the BLT studio, it was so so small, especially when we pulled out the other bed. My next trip to BLT I want to try a 1BR to see if that is better, and BLT is my home resort so don't think I am just biased ;)

with very limited park time

That 100% means AKV at that point. Its by far the nicest resort at WDW for a resort only stay. The exception could be SSR for the access to Disney Springs.

The only real downsides for AKV are long bus wait times and long walks from the lobby. Neither of which are really impactful if you are not hitting the parks daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter