Weird(est) Southwest question?

Kae

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever gotten to the airport early and asked to go on an earlier flight? We are getting to the airport earlier than expected? Just wondering?

Kae

You can, if there are seats available, but you would be asked to pay the difference up to the current fare.
Their old policy used to be that you could do it if seats are available, without additional charge, but I think that is long in the past.

You can, if there are seats available, but you would be asked to pay the difference up to the current fare.
Their old policy used to be that you could do it if seats are available, without additional charge, but I think that is long in the past.
thanks , that's what I thought. I swear years ago I did this

thanks , that's what I thought. I swear years ago I did this

You could always ask!! I would bet they would want to charge you, which IS the policy. But if you're there that early, the charge may be worth it to get to your destination quicker? (oh, but also having checked luggage makes it harder to switch last minute)
Have a good trip!

There is no additional charge for elite Rapid Rewards members (A-List and A-List Preferred members). Everyone else must pay the difference in cost from original reservation.

The only other exception is for customers who purchased Business Select and Anytime fares, which are the most expensive fare types.

It never hurts to ask. Most of the time they won't let you unless you pay the difference, but we've been successful a couple of time. My guess is that they had stand-by passengers for the flight connecting through BWI and not PHL for our flight vs. the earlier one.

First, not a weird question at all. :)
It never hurts to ask. Most of the time they won't let you unless you pay the difference, but we've been successful a couple of time. My guess is that they had stand-by passengers for the flight connecting through BWI and not PHL for our flight vs. the earlier one.
Most airlines will move you if they have an operational benefit, free of charge, except operators like Spirit and Allegiant. Basically it's a win/win situation, not always possible but the worse they can say is, "No," or, "Yes but there's a fee."

There were a lot of weather issues once and my DD was allowed to take an earlier flight for free. I think the gate agent may have some discretion.

I want to say there are now signs on the airline desks – at least ones I've seen – stating same-day standby like the OP is describing is only available for A-List and A-List Preferred customers.

OP this is acccording to SWA's policy: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/fare-information.html

WGA fares:
  • Standby travel requires an upgrade to the Anytime fare.
Anytime fares:
  • Standby travel between the same city pairs and on the original date of travel is permitted with no change in fare. Applicable taxes and fees associated with standby travel with apply on a per passenger basis.
Business Select fares:
  • Standby travel between the same city pairs and on the original date of travel is permitted with no change in fare. Applicable taxes and fees associated with standby travel will apply on a per passenger basis. You may lose the privilege of boarding in the first portion of the “A” group if you choose to standby on a different flight.
For A-list and A-list Preferred Members (https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...ic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_conditions):
  • Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available.
  • On flights that do not meet these qualifications, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority standby and will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available. A-List Preferred Members will be prioritized ahead of A-List Members.
  • If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, free same-day standby and priority standby will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation.
  • For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who have also qualified for a Companion Pass, A-List and A-List Preferred benefits are not available to the Companion unless the Companion is also an A-List and A-List Preferred Member.
  • A-List and A-List Preferred Members can still make confirmed same-day changes for another flight to their destination, if seats are available, and will only pay the difference in fare.

I purposefully arrived a bit early for my flight so I would have time to ask the agent if I could leave on a LATER flight. But it got me there sooner, as I was changing from a layover flight to a non-stop. She granted my requests for me and my 2 kids. She charged us nothing for the change and at the time I booked the non-stop cost more and for 3 people made a difference to our budget. I could have jumped the counter and kissed her. So, yes we had a little extra waiting at our home airport but I would exchange that for a layover any day. It was a magical start to the trip and magic doesn't happen at airports much any more.

Southwest's official policy is that you will be charged the fare difference, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. If I were in this situation, I'd absolutely speak to an agent and ask nicely. You might get lucky. There's absolutely no harm in trying. Just don't expect anything and be happy if it works out!

My wife tried this the other day with Southwest. They will charge you any fare difference if you have a Wanna get away fare. In her case it was 277$ so, she decided to wait. I think it has to do with the fare class you purchased.

As most have said, it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't think I'd try going to the airport early thinking they'd do it for free, but if you happen to be there, give it a try.

Kind of related...last year I arrived at PHL well before I needed to get there for my SW flight to MCO. There was an earlier flight that I wasn't aware of, so I didn't ask for it. Why am I now aware there was an earlier flight? Because although I wasn't on it, my checked luggage was. When I arrived at MCO, I waited while every piece of luggage for my flight went by on the carousel and nothing. I eventually went over to SW baggage services and there it was waiting. Could have saved myself about 20 minutes or so had I known...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!