Wearing a Walking Boot at Disney World

If I said "go walk 4 miles in your boot" you would look at me like I am crazy.
That is what happens at Disney...you walk 4-5 miles a day.

Rent a wheelchair or ECV (Scooter) so you can minimize walking. You don't have to use it all the time...you can use it to get to a "land" or ride and park it their and walk other times.

The first person you should pose these questions to is your Doctor. They know what your leg can and can’t handle.

My concern would be, based on your saying it is a “possible stress fracture,” you are in the beginning stages of addressing your injury. Thus putting any undue prolonged pressure on your foot could make it worse. I dislocated and fractured a bone in my ankle requiring surgery. However I could not get the surgery right away due to another medical complication and my surgeon was worried about the injury possibly worsening and also it healing incorrectly on its own. So definitely find out what your Doctor thinks about you going and the best way to be safe.

I also will be going to DW possibly in a boot in 3 weeks. Many have posted what you can and can not handle in a boot but I believe it depends on where you are in the recovery process. I started in a boot, then surgery, then temporary surgical cast, then cast, then boot then a brace. When I told my Dr. about DW he recommended the boot to be on the safe side. I personally prefer the boot because I know my ankle will be safe. I walked all over manhattan in mine and it did not bother me at all. But somebody else may have a great deal of pain.

Don’t forget compression socks and bring ziplock bags to the hotel so that you can make ice packs. Also, ask for extra pillows to prop your leg up when back from the parks and icing your ankle. Another tip would be to spray your boot with deodorant to help with the sweat. And if you can afford an EVC definitely splurge.

Good luck.

OP, I feel for you! But definitely save yourself pain and the potential of turning your stress fracture into something worse! Several years ago while I was training for the WDW marathon (I was signed up for Goofy's marathon & 1/2), I ended up with a stress fracture about a month before we left for our trip. I was in a boot and walked all over WDW despite increasing pain. When I returned, my stress fracture turned into a full-blown fracture. Granted, my MD told me to use an ECV/WC but I didn't want to spend the $$ and I had 2 young kids to push around in a stroller for 10 days. I could've saved myself a lot of pain and would have much preferred to have stayed in a boot instead of a fiberglass cast. You'll still have a great time and like others have mentioned, have a guaranteed place to sit and elevate your foot!

The first person you should pose these questions to is your Doctor. They know what your leg can and can’t handle.

My concern would be, based on your saying it is a “possible stress fracture,” you are in the beginning stages of addressing your injury. Thus putting any undue prolonged pressure on your foot could make it worse. I dislocated and fractured a bone in my ankle requiring surgery. However I could not get the surgery right away due to another medical complication and my surgeon was worried about the injury possibly worsening and also it healing incorrectly on its own. So definitely find out what your Doctor thinks about you going and the best way to be safe.

I also will be going to DW possibly in a boot in 3 weeks. Many have posted what you can and can not handle in a boot but I believe it depends on where you are in the recovery process. I started in a boot, then surgery, then temporary surgical cast, then cast, then boot then a brace. When I told my Dr. about DW he recommended the boot to be on the safe side. I personally prefer the boot because I know my ankle will be safe. I walked all over manhattan in mine and it did not bother me at all. But somebody else may have a great deal of pain.

Don’t forget compression socks and bring ziplock bags to the hotel so that you can make ice packs. Also, ask for extra pillows to prop your leg up when back from the parks and icing your ankle. Another tip would be to spray your boot with deodorant to help with the sweat. And if you can afford an EVC definitely splurge.

Good luck.

1.) We are also going in just under 3 weeks and I'll be in a boot too!
2.) Compression socks for under the boot?
3.) never even thought of spraying leg/boot with deodorant-great idea thanks!

1.) We are also going in just under 3 weeks and I'll be in a boot too!
2.) Compression socks for under the boot?
3.) never even thought of spraying leg/boot with deodorant-great idea thanks!
Sorry I should have been clearer about the compression socks. If you have swelling, I recommend using them when you take a break in your room and to sleep in. I had a lot of swelling before surgery and still 2 months after surgery. The doctor recommended compression socks. They definitely have helped with the swelling.
You could wear them in your boot if you wanted. I just hate compression socks and when I had to wear them 24 hours a day after surgery, it drove me crazy.

I got the tip from the nurse at the drs.

Hope you have a great time on your trip. 🙂

Hijacking a bit, but my fiance is in a walking boot as well....

Any tips for swimming? Tried finding covers but most aren't big enough to cover a boot.

Any tips for swimming? Tried finding covers but most aren't big enough to cover a boot.

I know they have covers for casts that you get through your doctor. Try asking the doctor if they make anything for a boot.

This one I would ask my DR about. Totally would depend upon the injury but I would imagine that some WB users could simply remove the WB for swimming while others would need to cover it.

This one I would ask my DR about. Totally would depend upon the injury but I would imagine that some WB users could simply remove the WB for swimming while others would need to cover it.

I fully agree - in fact, letting his doctor/physical therapist know that you all are going to WDW is a good idea; they may want him to limit walking (which might mean using a mobility device of some type) or they may have other special "Disney World only" instructions for him. Remember that if you all fly, and there are air bladders in his boot that they may "puff up" or increase in size during flight, which can cause problems, so be sure to let air out prior to the flight taking off, and then re-inflate after the flight has landed.

I fully agree - in fact, letting his doctor/physical therapist know that you all are going to WDW is a good idea; they may want him to limit walking (which might mean using a mobility device of some type) or they may have other special "Disney World only" instructions for him. Remember that if you all fly, and there are air bladders in his boot that they may "puff up" or increase in size during flight, which can cause problems, so be sure to let air out prior to the flight taking off, and then re-inflate after the flight has landed.

I learned the "air bladders inflate on take off" lesson when I had to fly with a walking boot because I didn't even think of the possibility before my first flight. They inflate RAPIDLY and VERY PAINFULLY. You do NOT want to be scrambling while seatbelted in a confined economy seat to figure out how to deflate them, I really do not recommend it ! Instead, if your walking boot has air bladders, wear it properly inflated onto the plane.

Once you are fully settled in your seat on the plane, deflate the bladders fully. Once the plane is up at cruising altitude, you can inflate the bladders again so the boot fits properly again. This will give you support and let you get up if needed. When the plane descends the bladders will shrink as the pressure on them increases, so you will need to adjust their inflation again once you are safely on the ground so the boot fits properly before you go walking on it. I suggest waiting till most others are off the plane anyway before deplaning, so you have some time for adjusting.

SW

I learned the "air bladders inflate on take off" lesson when I had to fly with a walking boot because I didn't even think of the possibility before my first flight. They inflate RAPIDLY and VERY PAINFULLY. You do NOT want to be scrambling while seatbelted in a confined economy seat to figure out how to deflate them, I really do not recommend it ! Instead, if your walking boot has air bladders, wear it properly inflated onto the plane.

Once you are fully settled in your seat on the plane, deflate the bladders fully. Once the plane is up at cruising altitude, you can inflate the bladders again so the boot fits properly again. This will give you support and let you get up if needed. When the plane descends the bladders will shrink as the pressure on them increases, so you will need to adjust their inflation again once you are safely on the ground so the boot fits properly before you go walking on it. I suggest waiting till most others are off the plane anyway before deplaning, so you have some time for adjusting.

SW

I *thought* it was you, that experienced that - but I wasn't 100% sure! Having worn an AirCast years ago, it had to be painful! Thanks for explaining it so much better! :)

Thank you. We did inform his doctor that we were going to WDW. They havent provided any restrictions for walking but we decided on our own to limit his walking.

Thanks for the tip about plane and air cast, we had no idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!