We Turned It Up to 11!

Alex Coleman

Mouseketeer
Disney-World-10-1024x683.jpg

For any fans of Spinal Tap, you’re welcome! If you don’t happen to be a fan of that wonderful piece of cinema, check out that reference on YouTube! Now that we have officially ruined the inside joke in the title by explaining it, time to get down to business. Sarah and I went to Walt Disney World for 11 days! This is a trip that we had been waiting for with so much anticipation that it was painful from the second that we left in November 2017.

Due to some pretty serious and exciting life change, we were not able to go back to the promised land Walt Disney World for over a year! Don’t cry for us our dear readers, we moved within 25 minutes of the Disneyland Resort. We still were getting our adequate fill of Disney Parks. However as much as we love Disneyland, day trips to Walt’s original parks are just not the same as long stays at his Floridian dream city. There is something incredibly special about visiting Disney World and staying for an extended trip.

If you have reached this page, you are in for a real treat! I know I said this for our excellent (if I do say so myself) November 2017 Trip Report, but it has set a new bar. This will be, by far, our most exhaustive trip report. This report will include a step-by-step look at all 11 days of our trip, including Mickey’s Most Merriest Christmas Party. I will also give you a brief review of all the restaurants at which we indulged ourselves and all 3 resorts in which we stayed. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of pictures to go along with this report! In the space of 11 days, I took roughly 5,000 photos. So get ready to enjoy!

We had a great time and I am excited to share all of our adventures with you! This trip report will have several parts, so stay tuned. Click the links below for each part of the report.

Last edited:
Redeyes are Wild
Disney-World-55-1024x683.jpg

Pre- November 21st
Disney-World-6-1024x683.jpg

Before we get into the bulk of our trip and I start the avalanche of play-by-play, analysis, and photos, I wanted to just share a couple of paragraphs about the planning process of this trip. As I said in the Introduction, this trip was in the dreaming process for over a year before we stepped foot in Central Florida. We left Walt Disney World convinced we would be returning several times before our Annual Passports expired in June of 2018. However, life is funny sometimes.

Instead of heading back to Disney World in December, February, and April, we moved from Chicago to California. Even though we were Disneyland Annual Passholders, we still knew that we wanted to get in a trip to Orlando. That is, after all, our spiritual home!

The actual planning process for this trip happened in early March. Sarah and I looked at our calendars, Touring Plans, and our Hopper app to determine the best dates possible. After looking at our calendars, we landed on the weeks surrounding Thanksgiving. Unlike our 2017 trips, we decided to throw an interesting wrinkle into the planning process. We invited Sarah’s parents to join us for part of our trip! We were not sure we would ever convince them to go with us, but we landed on them joining us for 5 of our 11 days.

A part of this process was keeping an eye out for the Free Dining promotion because we would definitely be partaking in the Disney Dining Plan. When it was released on April 24th, I decided that I would book us for at least part of our stay at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort and take advantage of Free Dining. We had leftover unused tickets that we needed to use from previous 2017 visits, so I was able to buy the minimum amount of tickets to qualify for the package. It was going swimmingly at this point!

Then came the struggles. First, we needed to decide where we would stay for the days that we were not staying at Caribbean Beach. Unfortunately, the one resort we had not crossed off our “we are insane and want to stay at all the WDW resorts!” list was Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort. Begrudgingly, I booked a night at [redacted for explicit acronym] with the Disney Dining Plan. Hey, at least it was cheap!

Disney-4-12-1024x683.jpg

The next struggle was with Frontier Airlines. Before I go into a tirade, I understand that I understand that there are reasonable expectations that should be set when using budget airlines. I would never expect top shelf accommodations from an airline like Frontier. However, cheap flights are cheap flights! We found an amazing deal from our local airport to Orlando International Airport (MCO) and I could not pass on it. It was a redeye flight from Ontario International Airport to MCO and it was $162/ person round-trip. Apparently, this was a deal they were running because they recently started offering this route.

What I did not expect was that I would get an email from Frontier three months before the trip informing us that they discontinued flying that route on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I just do not understand how you can cancel a flight that was previously presented to customers for that reason. This presented Sarah and Ime with a blessing (always best to look on the bright side when it comes to Disney travel!) in disguise. Frontier presented us with the option to move our flight up a day and get travel credit. We decided an extra day at Walt Disney World was not the worst thing in the world.

November 21st/ 22nd
Disney-World-4-1024x683.jpg

We waited and waited what felt like an eternity, but eventually our time finally came for us to start our greatest vacation ever. We had some time to kill on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so we decided to see Ralph Breaks the Internet. It felt like a very fitting start to the vacation! We followed our friends Ralph and Vanellope through the Internet and then we rushed to the airport. We breezed through TSA screening (thank you TSA Pre-Check!) and ended up at the gate with about an hour before boarding.

Sarah and I both agreed that sleeping aids would be vitally important if we wanted to be even slightly useful after our red eye flight. Unfortunately, that essential item evaded any of the trips we took to Target before we departed. Classic, us! Instead of buying it for relatively cheap outside of the airport terminal, we had the honor of sacrificing our arms and legs for it at the Hudson News stand!

We took our elixir of life pills before boarding so we would be in the optimal place to sleep through the entire flight. Unfortunately, we were flying on Frontier. The seats were not only made of the hardest plastic on Earth, but they also did not recline. This made for difficult sleeping (aka no sleep) and cranky travelers upon our arrival at 7:30am Eastern Standard Time. Fortunately, there was almost no one in the airport when we arrived. This meant we had an almost empty Disney’s Magical Express ride to the resort.

Disney-World-2-1024x683.jpg

Once we arrived at our first stay: Disney’s Pop Century Resort, it was time to go and get in some Animal Kingdom time! We walked through the lobby because I needed to clear up a possible issue with our tickets. Fortunately, we had leftover tickets from previous stays so we saved money. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information about how to manage multiple tickets within one trip. Once again fortunately, Disney Guest Services at our resort was there to help.

All they needed to do was prioritize the tickets so that they would not expire without being fully used. That meant we would not need to purchase more tickets. If you are juggling multiple tickets on one trip, just wait until you get to Disney World and talk with a Cast Member at your resort or at the Guest Services at any of the parks.

Disney-World-3-1024x683.jpg

After that was cleared up, I met up with Sarah and found out that she got free coffee from a wonderful CM who could tell she desperately needed it! We boarded a bus and headed to the wildest theme park in the world: Disney’s Animal Kingdom. We had Fastpass+ return times for DINOSAUR, Na’vi River Journey, and Kilimanjaro Safaris, but not much of a plan other than that. I expected that the parks would be crowded so I had very low expectations. Our main focus was our exahaustion. At some point, we would definitely need a nap.

We arrived and scanned our MagicBands and felt the immediate and familiar ecstasy of the green light flashing granting us entrance to the magic of Walt Disney World touring. We headed over to Pandora because of its breathtaking beauty. I am not sure there is another pavilion at WDW that I could spend more time in without actually doing anything.

Disney-World-5-1024x683.jpg

We decided it would be a good idea to take a lap around the park to soak up its majestic beauty. I snapped photo after photo as we circled. I was really happy how they turned out. The morning sun at AK is an amazing sight to behold.

Disney-World-9-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-11-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-14-1024x683.jpg

On our way to DINOSAUR, I decided to jump in the Single Rider queue for Expedition Everest and brave it’s icy slopes. I love this attraction, but Sarah cannot handle it as she has the propensity to get sick on any attraction that even resembles a roller coaster. Fortunately, she is perfectly fine with sitting and watching people scream while I go battle the yeti.

Disney-World-15-1024x683.jpg

After I returned from my brave battle victorious, Sarah and I decided to take a few minutes to rest in the sun in DinoLand, USA. We had a wonderful conversation about how this area could still exist with all the innovation that is happening around WDW. It seems like it is such a strange sore thumb. Just listen to TriceraTop Spin creak and groan its days away if you disagree.

Disney-World-16-1024x683.jpg

We thawed completely just in time for our Fastpass+ time for DINOSAUR. Speaking of wondering how attractions can still exist, DINOSAUR is in desperate need of an update. We laughed as we watched the very late-1990’s, early-2000’s intro video and navigated through the black light dinosaur extinction.

Disney-World-17-1024x683.jpg

After we were done, we made an executive decision to abandon our lunch reservation at Yak & Yeti. I hear you saying, “But you will get charged for canceling within 24 hours!” Fear not, dear listeners. Hot tip: you can modify your dining reservations up until 20 minutes before your arrival time. If you modify your dining reservations to later in the year, you can then cancel them!

After we settled our dining plans, we decided to watch Finding Nemo The Musical before heading to our resort. Amazingly, our room was ready by 9am so we were not homeless until the afternoon. We sung along with Nemo, Marlon, Dory, and friends before going back to Pop Century.

Disney-World-19-683x1024.jpg

We got back to our room and I decided to take pictures of the newly renovated rooms at Pop. Check out my resort review for deeper analysis, but all I have time to say here is, “WOW!” These rooms are simply stunning.

Disney-World-25-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-28-1024x683.jpg

After we napped for a bit, it was time for lunch at Everything POP. I ordered the Meatball Sub and Sarah ordered the Thanksgiving special. We were both pleasantly surprised by our choices and very full for our afternoon and evening at Animal Kingdom.

Disney-World-35-1024x683.jpg

When we returned it was time to use our Fastpass+ selections for Na’vi River Journey and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Sarah and I still love Na’vi River (even though it is incredibly short) and the safari is always a delightful way to pass a half an hour. We even found the spirit animal of the red eye traveler: the lion fast asleep on their rock formation home.

Disney-World-23-1024x683.jpg

Our safari came to an end and it was time for dinner! We decided the most appropriate Thanksgiving meal was a family-style Italian feast at Pizzafari. I won’t fully go into the review because this report is already roughly the length of War and Peace, but our take away from it was that it was about as vanilla as physically possible. The lack of popularity seems to reflect its overall quality. One bright side is that it is a massive amount of food! It comes with two kinds of salads, two pastas, an entire pizza, and cannoli.

Disney-World-45-1024x683.jpg

We ended up not even touching the pizza (aside from a couple bites for the sake of the restaurant review) and we waddled towards Rivers of Light feeling incredibly full. But this is Disney full, so it’s totally fine. We took in the show. We were honestly surprised by how much we liked it. The show is flawed, but the music is captivating. Not terrible for a nighttime spectacular without fireworks!

We were not quite ready to go back to our resort. Sarah and I decided to stop into the Nomad Lounge & Cocktail Bar for drinks. We drank our alcoholic concoctions and reflected on an incredibly full 24 hours. We were so happy to be back in our happy place, but also massively exhausted.

Disney-World-54-1024x683.jpg

Good to be home!

joining in. Love the feeling of first days, no matter how exhausted you are it's nice to just take those moments and soak in the feeling of "ahhhhhhhh". Just happy and at home:love:

joining in. Love the feeling of first days, no matter how exhausted you are it's nice to just take those moments and soak in the feeling of "ahhhhhhhh". Just happy and at home:love:
I completely agree, there is no place like home! Thanks for joining in!

The Magic is Real
Disney-World-106-1024x683.jpg

November 23rd
Disney-World-127-1024x683.jpg

Most people attempt to brave the crowds at WalMart, Target, or Best Buy on Black Friday. Clearly, that is not the Coleman’s style. We would much rather brave the crowds at Magic Kingdom! We had an early night on Thanksgiving (mostly from being so full from Pizzafari that we felt sick) so we felt like we could get up nice and early to rope drop at the Kingdom.

We needed to take our bags to Bell Services because we were moving to Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort later that day. I dropped off our bags and Sarah grabbed coffee. We met up at the excellent Pop Century transportation hub and we boarded a completely empty bus to MK. We arrived about an hour before Extra Magic Hours, so we had a lot of time to kill.

Disney-World-57-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-56-1024x683.jpg

After what felt like an eternity (we were so anxious to walk down Main Street again after such a long time away!), they loosed us upon the park. Since Sarah and I did not have an attraction we were dying to experience right away, I decided to take a few pictures around the mostly-empty park. We started in the Hub and then moved towards Fantasyland.

Disney-World-61-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-65-1024x683.jpg

Being that we were already in Fantasyland, we decided it would be worth a flight on Dumbo The Flying Elephant. As we reflect back on our trip, we both agree that this is a far superior attraction at Disney World. Not only are there two spoke-and-wheels in Florida, but there is also the interesting queue which allows children to play and await their flight, rather than sit around in line. We are also convinced that the Dumbos are more responsive at the WDW version.

After we were done with the world’s only flying elephant, it was time for Sarah to dive deep into her Nirvana. It was Little Mermaid time. Her heart exploded into a thousand joyful pieces (as if we didn’t just experience its sister attraction at Disneyland a week before). She sang, we dance, and joy was realized for all parties involved.

Disney-World-66-1024x683.jpg

After our journey under the sea, it was time for the park to open to the general public. We walked quickly back to the Hub so we could see Let the Magic Begin. I had ulterior motives to try to jump in the mass of humanity moving back to Big Thunder Mountain so I wanted to start to queue up to the left Cinderella’s Castle, but Sarah wanted to watch the whole show. She won out and we watched the show.

Disney-World-67-1024x683.jpg

As a result, we were buried in the back of the Big Thunder crowd. I decided to pull out of the pack walking back towards the attraction. Instead, we walked through Frontierland and I got a few more pictures of Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn & Cafe to update the review.

I wrapped up my photo shoot and we wandered to another attraction. We jumped onto a boat and floated into pirate-infested waters. We were feeling brave after surviving our encounter with the pirates so we tested our luck with the 999 happy haunts.

We walked over to Tomorrowland for a blast into the furthest reaches of space after our doom buggy ride. Unfortunately, this attraction was a bad decision with my massive camera bag. I tried to pawn it off on Sarah, but the problem is that her legs are even longer than mine (even though I am 6’2” and she is 5’8”).

Amazingly, she managed to contort herself to allow for the bar to fully engage. I was only slightly worried that she would come flying at me during the attraction. But fear not, the best member of The Intentional Mouse lived through her harrowing experience. To celebrate, here is a photo of a futuristic palm tree!

Disney-World-74-1024x683.jpg

After our blast through space, it was time for food! After all, we had been moving for about 4 hours at that point (and it was only 11am!). We walked over to one of our favorite quick service options at Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbor House. We arrived just before the eatery opened so we waited patiently and decided what we would eat.

Sarah ordered the Lobster Roll and I opted to go with the Chicken Pot Pie. Amazingly, I ordered the better dish on that day! For regular readers of our trip reports, you will be aware that this never happens. The pot pie was delicious. The crust was flaky and flavorful and I loved that they did the breadcrumbs on the top, rather than more crust. My green beans were disappointing (good old rubbery veggies), but not terrible.

Disney-World-77-683x1024.jpg

Sarah’s sandwich was tasty, but it was not spectacular. The best part of her dish was the chips. They were really well seasoned and there was a massive portion of them. The bread on the sandwich was interesting because it was garlic bread, rather than just a plain roll. Overall, I would recommend either but the pot pie had the advantage on the day.

Disney-World-78-1024x683.jpg

It was time for a break. The problem was that our room was not ready yet (because it was only a half hour past check-out time). I decided that we should go take some time to explore Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. We had never taken the boat journey all the way back to Fort Wilderness and it sounded relaxing. Sarah and I took a solo boat journey (a theme of our transportation that day was that we were alone on a lot of our trips) and then wandered around a bit.

Disney-World-83-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-87-1024x683.jpg

We landed at Pioneer Hall and had a lovely conversation with a gentleman who had been coming to Fort Wilderness for over 30 years. As first timers at this resort, Sarah and I could feel the bond this man shared with the resort. Many of his life memories had happened at this resort and he had a deep emotional connection to Fort Wilderness. It was beautiful! That is the vibe we got as we walked around. It feels like a resort that you do not book accidentally. It feels like a place you intentionally seek out because you have significant memories at the campground.

Disney-World-88-1024x683.jpg

After we finished our conversation with this lovely person, we walked back to the dock and boarded a boat to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. This is one of my favorite resorts and my love for it only grows at the Holidays. Sarah needed to use the restroom so I walked up a few floors to take a picture.

Somewhat awkwardly, I happened to stop to take my photo next to a couple who were having a DTR (“defining the relationship” conversation, for those not up with the cool kids lingo). They were definitely talking about the nature of their relationship as I was joyfully clicking away. Disney World feels like a weird place to have that conversation, but Wilderness Lodge would probably be the best Disney World location for that private talk. (Be looking out for my “Best Places at WDW to Talk About Your Relationship Status” post coming soon! :))

Disney-World-89-1024x683.jpg

As we were waiting for a bus to Epcot so we could then transfer to All-Star Sports, we got the following notification from Disney:

fullsizeoutput_1db1-473x1024.jpeg

I HATE having to go to the front desk to do things while at Disney World. That is because the waits can be horrendous (especially at the Value resorts) and we tend to break Disney, which leads to us needing to see the CMs at the front desk. For those who read our November 2017 trip report, you will be aware that our incessant resort hopping meant that we constantly had an issue with Disney’s finnecky tech infrastructure.

Again, we broke Disney. Sarah and I had too many MagicBands attached to our account so it was rejecting both of us in the system. The CM was thoroughly confused. After some effort, he and his manager figured it out.

They also needed to credit our purchase at Columbia Harbor House because this issue meant that our Dining Plan did not activate. I was hoping they may not take our quick service credits (because they have just comped us in the past), but they did. I don’t feel angry about that because we did use the meals so it is fair to take the plan credits.

After we napped in our terrible All-Star Sports room, we walked out our back door and the sky was just starting to look beautiful in the afternoon sun. This was a theme that continued as we arrived at Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom.

Disney-World-98-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-107-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-109-1024x683.jpg

When we walked up to the host stand at Liberty Tree, we checked in and the Cast Member let us know that they were running about 20 minutes behind, but they would text us when our table was ready. Good thing we didn’t go far because roughly 2 minutes later we received this text:

fullsizeoutput_1db9-473x1024.jpeg

We sat down and tore into our meal. Good thing we were hungry, because this meal was a beast. Sarah ordered a Riesling that was surprisingly dry. I got a ridiculously amazing hot cider with whiskey (you will start to notice that we took full advantage of the fact that alcohol is included in the Disney Dining Plan). Overall, the meal was really good. It started with salad that Sarah labeled as “sour” (ick) and bread service with yummy apple butter, then moved to the main course which was all-you-care-to-enjoy meats, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, and green beans.

Disney-World-116-1024x683.jpg

The meal finished off with a dessert plate that we subjected (not because it was bad, but because we were SO full) ourselves to for the sake of the review. I know, we sacrifice a lot for our readers!

Disney-World-118-1024x683.jpg

The standouts from the meal were the cider, the turkey and mashed potatoes, and the apple fritters.

Because I apparently hate myself, I decided that Seven Dwarves was a good idea for a Fastpass+ selection after Liberty Tree. Our stomachs turned over and over as we wound our way through the hills and mines full of American fare.

Disney-World-123-1024x683.jpg

Our mine journey was done and it was time for deep weeping. We had been listening to the theme song from Happy Ever After for months in preparation for our trip. It was painful to see the show in our heads while recognizing that we were still months away. Once the show started, all the feels started to flow. So much that I decided I didn’t want to even set up my tripod. I needed that show for me. I did take a few pictures, but just handheld.

Disney-World-125-1024x683.jpg

We finished our night at Disney’s Contemporary Resort because I wanted to wait out the horrible crowds fleeing MK. Sarah and I took pictures together and then headed back to our All-Star Sports bed.

Disney-World-121-1024x683.jpg

Thanks for sharing your trip. I am really enjoying your report, especially your fantastic photographs! They're incredible.

Where is This Uber Going?
Disney-World-130-1024x683.jpg

November 24th
Disney-World-144-1024x683.jpg

Today was the first day with Sarah’s parents! Sarah had been looking forward to this moment since the very first time we set foot on Disney property. They were about to experience the magic! My main concern was that they were early to drop off our bags at bell services. We parted ways with our worldly possessions and boarded the first bus to Epcot.

Even though Sarah would have preferred for her mom’s first Walt Disney World memory to be walking down Main Street, USA towards Cinderella’s Castle, we would settle for Spaceship Earth.

Disney-World-133-1024x683.jpg

We arrived about 45 minutes before rope drop so we were about 10 people back from the front gates. Sarah and her parents waited in the queue and I wandered around and took pictures.

Disney-World-129-1024x683.jpg

After the Cast Members started allowing guests into the park, Sarah led her parents to the front of Spaceship Earth while I took more photos. I loved having them as a placeholder for me so I can wander around and take pictures of all the fun Christmas decor and of Spaceship Earth.

Disney-World-131-1024x683.jpg

About 10 minutes before rope drop, the Jammitors came out to give us a lively performance and to welcome us to Epcot. This is one of my favorite performance groups at Disney World. They bring a really great energy and they are just goofy enough to entertain the young and the young at heart. After they finished their routine, the Cast Member reminded us to walk, not run (which is a completely fruitless command because no one obeys) and then released us upon the park.

We had Fastpass+ return times for The Seas with Nemo & Friends, Frozen Ever After, and Spaceship Earth so we needed to knock out Test Track and Soarin’ as soon as possible. I was incredibly impressed by how the whole family kept up! We ended up being in the second group to customize our vehicles. We whirred around what the creators of Tron imagined the future to be in 1982 and then emerged into the Central Florida sun to speed around the track. Sarah's parents took a short bathroom break and I took photos.

Disney-World-134-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-135-1024x683.jpg

I promised Sarah’s parents that if we moved quickly for the first hour they would be rewarded with a relaxing rest of the day. Granted, relaxing for Sarah and I is that we walk roughly 12 miles on an Epcot day. So it was always going to be an empty promise. We walked quickly over to the Land pavilion and then boarded a glider to soar around the world. Sarah’s dad declared this his favorite attraction as we filled up our water bottles and got a snack at Sunshine Seasons.

After our snack break, we walked over for a journey under the seas with Nemo and then watched some Pixar short films. This is one of Sarah and my favorite attractions. We were happy that her parents felt the same way. It was time for another snack after we were done. I stopped at Refreshment Port and got a delicious poutine.

Disney-World-136-1024x683.jpg

After our quick snack, it was time to head to Norway for a Frozen adventure with Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf. We floated in our boat through Arendelle and to Elsa’s ice palace. The family was rather entertained (even though the 4 of us were stuffed in one row). We extracted ourselves from our crammed row and wandered out and towards lunch.

World Showcase is a great place to be hungry. We tried to decide where to eat lunch and eventually landed on La Cantina de San Angel. This quick service meal in the Mexico pavilion not only has good food, but a beautiful seating area. On several occasions we have found ourselves sitting outside even though we were not eating there. I know what you are saying: “YOU are the person taking my seat!” I know and I apologize. As it turns out, we didn’t end up getting a seat outside on this occasion.

This was our first experience trying to walk Sarah’s parents through using the Disney Dining Plan. I ordered first and then walked to the window to grab our food. Fortunately, I looked back quickly because her dad was about to pay for his meal with cash, rather than his MagicBand which had his meals loaded onto it. It was a good reminder of the importance of step-by-step directions for the uninitiated or inexperienced. After that was cleared up, we walked towards the indoor seating because there was none available outside.

Disney-World-141-1024x683.jpg

Sarah ordered the Empanadas con Queso, Sarah’s dad and I ordered the Taco Trio, and Sarah’s mom ordered the Tacos de Pescado. I would highly recommend the Taco Trio if you want to try multiple items, even though the fish tacos were the best overall. If you really like fish tacos, feel free to specialize and get those! I would not recommend the empanadas. They were incredibly bland. Empanadas with just cheese in them are incredibly boring and I wish they had a meat-filled empanada option.

Disney-World-138-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-139-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-140-1024x683.jpg

After we were done, it was time to take a World Showcase lap. We walked slowly in the Central Floridian sun and took in the various cultural Holiday showcases.

Disney-World-137-1024x683.jpg

As we were walking, Sarah’s parents got the text from Disney that their new resort room was ready and we got the text that ours was not.

fullsizeoutput_1dae-473x1024.jpeg

During our walk, we discussed whether we had the energy to take a Friendship boat from Epcot to Hollywood Studios. I thought that we agreed to complete that course of actions, but I was mistaken. Unfortunately, I misunderstood and canceled our Fastpass+ return time for Spaceship Earth.

That was most unfortunate because the family decided they wanted to ride into the big golf ball in the middle of the park. We entered the queue for the attraction, but immediately exited because the wait was too long and we were starting to get cranky tired. We exited the park and headed to Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort where one of our two rooms were ready. Sarah and her mom crashed in their room while I wandered around the resort and grabbed our refillable mugs until our room was cleaned. When I returned, our room was ready.

Disney-World-145-1024x683.jpg

We napped for a couple of hours and refreshed ourselves for the evening at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We awoke and headed to Epcot so we could take a trip into the past and future on Spaceship Earth. I love this attraction because it embodies the ethos of Epcot (and because Dame Judi Dench is the narrator), but I am not convinced that Sarah’s parents appreciated it as much as I do.

After we were done, it was time for a bathroom stop and a snack credit. They used the restroom and I grabbed a Traditional French Canadian Tourtiere with Canadian Ketchup. This was a pretty “eh” dish to me. It didn’t taste like a whole lot of anything. After we were done, it was time to head to Hollywood Studios for our dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. We took our boat and then walked through the Studios. We arrived and I ran into a very frazzled CM.

Disney-World-150-683x1024.jpg

I approached the counter exactly 17 minutes before our reservation and asked to check in. I received a short response where she stated that I could not check in until 15 minutes before our reservation. This is technically true, but the response did not feel like the typical Disney customer service. We grabbed some complimentary popcorn and took it to the family and then returned in 2 minutes to check in.

Disney-World-153-1024x683.jpg

Eventually, a host brought us to our car for our meal. Overall, I found the meal interesting but not excellent. I thought being seated in cars was a fun dining experience and the sci-fi movie loop was engaging (until we saw it multiple times). I thought the menu was not incredibly inventive, which suited Sarah and her family.

Disney-World-155-1024x683.jpg

Sarah ordered the Pan-seared Shrimp Pasta with a Godiva Chocolate Martini (yay alcohol on the Disney Dining Plan!), Sarah’s mom ordered the Flame-broiled New York Strip Steak with the same martini, and Sarah’s dad and I ordered the Sci-Fi Barbecue Platter. I ordered the Orbiting Oreos which was the best part of my meal. It is an cookies & cream milkshake with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and it was incredible.

Disney-World-154-1024x683.jpg

Sarah’s meal was definitely the best. I would never expect to get half-decent pasta at a place like Sci-Fi, but it happened! Her mom’s steak was fatty and over-priced. The barbecue platter was an affront to barbecue. The best part of my platter was the basket of french fries. The pulled pork and ribs were both cold and dry. The cornbread and the beans were exceedingly mediocre.

Disney-World-158-1024x683.jpg

We ordered dessert, but no one particularly ate it.

Disney-World-160-1024x683.jpg

Unfortunately, we were seated late and our meal took much longer than I expected so we were rushing to try to get to Fantasmic! This meant that we watched one too many cycles of the sci-fi film reel and we didn’t get to enjoy dessert. On top of it all, we missed the show and settled for Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!, which is a good show, but not as good for first-timers as Fantasmic!

Disney-World-161-1024x683.jpg

The show ended and we joined the masses trying to exit the park. We walked the 13.1 miles (rough approximation) to the transportation area and decided it would be a better use of our time to take an Uber. Oh, how wrong I was. We got into our ride and exited Hollywood Studios without too many issues. However, the issues arose after we left the parking lot.

For context, Caribbean Beach is within 2 miles of the Studios. It took us almost a half hour to get from the exit to our resort. The driver’s GPS took us out completely off Disney World property, onto Interstate 4, past Disney Springs, back onto Interstate 4, then back through half of Disney World to our resort. During that time our driver cut across 4 lanes of traffic and endangered our lives several more times. What a fun end to a crazy day!

Disney-World-163-1024x683.jpg

Happy first day at Walt Disney World Reinartz family!

There are many great photographers on the DIS Boards but few can compete with your results. I always look forward to your reports.

It sounds like the frustration to enjoyment ratio was a little off on this day, but you still had much to enjoy.

Sci Fi was running so far behind when my mom and I went last February. If I recall, we were seated about an hour after our ADR. They must have run even further behind as the evening progressed, because they had some sort of bio hazmat situation that took out a large section of seating, and the bathrooms, for quite some time.

Really excited to hear about the rest of your families trip Alex.

Reading your thorough reviews I feel like I'm there with you immersed in the experience.

I've planned a lot for my August trip this year, I want it to be the best yet, I try to visit from the UK every 2/3 years, the feeling that you and Sarah get when you arrive and go through those gates is one that I'm looking forward to so much, it's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it.

This report will help bring the 166 days til departure a little closer!

It sounds like the frustration to enjoyment ratio was a little off on this day, but you still had much to enjoy.

Sci Fi was running so far behind when my mom and I went last February. If I recall, we were seated about an hour after our ADR. They must have run even further behind as the evening progressed, because they had some sort of bio hazmat situation that took out a large section of seating, and the bathrooms, for quite some time.
Wow! that sounds really frustrating! We were VERY tired of the loop at SciFi by the time we were done. Still another Disney day, so not all bad!

Really excited to hear about the rest of your families trip Alex.

Reading your thorough reviews I feel like I'm there with you immersed in the experience.

I've planned a lot for my August trip this year, I want it to be the best yet, I try to visit from the UK every 2/3 years, the feeling that you and Sarah get when you arrive and go through those gates is one that I'm looking forward to so much, it's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it.

This report will help bring the 166 days til departure a little closer!
Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it and hope the rest of the days fly by quickly!

Meat Sweats are Good Sweats
Disney-World-217-1024x683.jpg

November 25th
Disney-World-182-1024x683.jpg

We slept soundly after the weight of our harrowing Uber journey was removed. I can confidently say I had never been more excited to see the front gates of Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort! I was feeling anxious to go out and photograph the new areas of the resort so I got up before the rest of the crew to run around. Long story short, I love the direction that Disney has gone with Caribbean Beach. I love that it feels light and airy everywhere around the resort. It feels like we could be in the Caribbean (which is saying something since it was mostly below 40 degrees and rainy during our trip). If you haven’t see the updates yet, here you go!

Disney-World-165-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-172-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-173-1024x683.jpg

Honestly, these updates move CB much closer to the top of my favorite resorts list. However, I am not sure that Sarah would put it above the other excellent Moderate resorts. It will never eclipse Disney’s Port Orleans Resort - Riverside for us.

After my running, it was time to jump on the bus to get to our Be Our Guest pre-park opening reservation. Most importantly, it was time to see Sarah’s parents’ eyes light up when they saw Cinderella’s Castle for the first time. The only problem with this plan was that you could barely see the castle from Main Street, USA because of the dense fog. We decided to take family pictures with the faint outline of the castle in the background anyways.

Disney-World-180-1024x683.jpg

Disney-World-181-1024x683.jpg

After our pictures were done it was time to head back to Fantasyland for our breakfast. We arrived at the front desk and checked in for our meal. Hot tip: pre order your breakfast or lunch at BOG! This saved us a massive amount of time.

We arrived at the kiosk and all we had to do was ask for a change to our beverage request. We were not able to order alcohol so we needed to just make sure the CM changed our drink order. Because how can you exist without alcohol at 8am?!

Disney-World-184-1024x683.jpg

After our order was in, Sarah walked her parents through the immaculately themed dining rooms while I grabbed a table in the corner. They picked their jaws off the floor just in time for the food to arrive and for us to dive into mediocre breakfast food.

Really, this place seems to get worse and worse every time we eat here. If it stopped being a great value on the Disney Dining Plan or did ceased giving early access to Magic Kingdom, it would disappear from our plans. If you do order something from here, go with the Croque Madame. It is a game-changing dish. We both really love it.

After our meal (including mimosas, of course!) was done, it was time to dive into some attractions. The first stop on our tour was Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. This popular kiddie (ok, maybe slightly harsh) coaster was a hit with Sarah’s dad. Ron is 240 pounds of pure old-man muscle so he was able to single-handedly swing our car back and forth with ease.

Disney-World-187-1024x683.jpg

After we were done, it was time to journey into the Hundred Acre Wood with Pooh Bear. Sarah’s mom loves Winnie the Pooh more than life itself so we were incredibly disappointed to find the ride out of operation so early in the day. Instead of meandering through the wood in a honey pot, we flew on the back of an elephant.

Disney-World-189-683x1024.jpg

Sarah’s parents needed to use the restroom and I needed to call Disney to change our dining reservation for that night at ‘Ohana. I did not have high expectations for this call. Before this phone call I had been attempting to change our dining time from 9pm to something closer to normal human dinner time for 180 days.

However, I was able to easily change our dining time to 6pm in the space of this 5-minute phone conversation. Hot tip: never give up! Keep hounding Disney if you do not get the dining reservation you want. I have been able to change reservations with relative ease every time. Calling the same day never hurts. Sometimes other parties cancel 24 hours in advance and they have availability, even for difficult locations like ‘Ohana!

After my successful call, it was finally time for our ride with Pooh! Sarah’s mom was so excited we even got her to pose in Eeyore’s house! We were all slightly less excited as the pounding of various garden-related noisemakers droned on and on as we waited. I see the value of these interactive queues, but I also see the value of earplugs! One may or may not be required to experience the other in this case.

Disney-World-191-1024x683.jpg

After Sharon’s favorite attraction came Sarah’s. We had not experienced Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid yet that day, so clearly it had been too long. Surprisingly, we could hear Sarah’s dad the loudest. He always does enjoy putting on a show for his oldest child!

Disney-World-188-1024x683.jpg

After we emerged from under the sea, it was time to use our Fastpass+ for Peter Pan’s Flight. This visit to Neverland reminded us just how much we treasure the California iteration of this attraction. Every aspect (other than the queue, to be fair) is better at Disneyland. The Florida version is in desperate need of an overhaul. It is a timeless attraction in need of some love.

After our flight landed, we walked away from Fantasyland and towards Haunted Mansion. I snapped photos while we waited in the queue. I have not done a lot of work in black-and-white, but I was excited to dabble a bit into the monochromatic world with these busts.

Disney-World-193-683x1024.jpg

The attraction was excellent as always and we exited in just enough time for me to get a snack. It was time for ice cream! I walked to the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor while Sarah and her parents watched Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire. I waited for them to arrive while I ate my All-American Sundae. They all ordered ice cream and we gave our aching feet a rest. At this point, it was sunny and beautiful so we sat in the shade and gorged ourselves on ice cream.

Begrudgingly, we needed to get up and walk. It was time for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! We all discussed the merits of eating a large sundae before riding a roller coaster, but we decided to just grin and bear it. Always best to just ignore your body and soldier on! We survived the twists and turns of the wildest ride in the wilderness and emerged victorious over our better judgment. Take that common sense!

Disney-World-198-1024x683.jpg

After our scrape with revisiting our ice cream, it was time to slow things down a bit. We figured that Pirates of the Caribbean would hit the spot. Also, Sarah’s dad had been obsessively singing, “Yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate’s life for me!” over and over and over again in his most pirate-y voice. We quenched his pirate thirst and emerged with the song removed from his head.

Disney-World-199-1024x683.jpg

I figured it was probably time for a snack (it had been an hour, after all!) so I swung by Golden Oak Outpost. I don’t even remember this location being open during any of our previous trips. However, after we ate here I wish it was open more often! We ordered two helpings of the Chili Queso Fries and we melted into caloric bliss. The fries were crispy, the chili was flavorful, and the queso was creamy deliciousness!

Disney-World-200-1024x683.jpg

After our stop to eat our fries it was time for a couple more attractions. Being that chili and Space Mountain was a step too far even for me, I figured we could head in to watch Mickey’s PhilharMagic Concert, which was excellent. The food settled in just enough time for us to blast through the farthest reaches of space and then chill out on Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover.

Disney-World-202-1024x683.jpg

After we exited the attraction, we got a chance to see the Festival of Fantasy Parade! Sarah’s parents loved every princess-filled second of the parade and I wandered around and grabbed some pictures on my long lens.

Disney-World-209-683x1024.jpg

Disney-World-215-1024x683.jpg

After the parade finished, Sarah’s dad napped while we waited for the bus to take us back to Caribbean Beach.

Disney-World-220-683x1024.jpg

When we returned to the resort Sarah and I felt slightly restless so we wandered while her mom and dad slept. They were tired after such a full day of touring! While we walked we decided we would become Disney Vacation Club members! Honestly, I am surprised it has taken us this long to reach this decision. It seems like a logical next step into Disney madness for Sarah and I.

Disney-World-221-1024x683.jpg

We grabbed a drink from the Banana Cabana on our way back to our room to celebrate our continued dedication to the Mouse.

Disney-World-222-1024x683.jpg

After our break time, it was time to head over to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort for our dining reservation at ‘Ohana! This was a meal Sarah and I had been looking forward to since we left during our November 2017 trip. It was definitely the first meal on our list. We jumped on a bus to Magic Kingdom, then boarded the ferry boat across to the Transportation and Ticket Center, then walked to the Poly. Sarah, her parents, and I arrived just in time for our dining reservation.

Disney-World-224-1024x683.jpg

We walked up and were seated almost immediately. All of us were so excited to eat we almost couldn’t stand it! We have done a full review of ‘Ohana here, so I won’t go into all the details. We were pretty disappointed by this visit. Sure, the food was good. It just did not live up to the previous experience. We sat in the middle of the restaurant in incredibly close proximity to the tables next to us.

Disney-World-226-1024x683.jpg

Another problem with this table was that we were seated under blinding spotlights. This only increased our sweating. Hot tip: asked to be placed on the exterior of the restaurant. They will not guarantee that you will be placed there, but best to try. The food was not bad, but it was inconsistent. The first few dishes (bread service, salad, and appetizers) were really good.

Disney-World-228-1024x683.jpg

The meat was not up to the quality that I would expect from ‘Ohana. Sure, I left the restaurant with a belly full of tasty steak, chicken, and shrimp. Sure, I considered never eating again because I was so full. I just wanted better! The meats were just sporadic. Some were good and tender and cooked correctly and some were chewy or overcooked.

I also didn’t appreciate that the service was slow getting us our shrimp. By the time they got to the table, no one had any room to eat them. Fortunately, the bread pudding saved the day by being the best thing in human history. Also, our server completely messed up our bill. We looked at the receipt and she gave us the bill for the table next to us (which was a party of 8).

After we were done, we took the monorail back to Magic Kingdom and then headed back to our resort for the night. We needed to rest up to brave Pandora the next morning!

Disney-World-232-1024x683.jpg

Hot tip: pre order your breakfast or lunch at BOG! This saved us a massive amount of time.

Really, this place seems to get worse and worse every time we eat here. If it stopped being a great value on the Disney Dining Plan or did ceased giving early access to Magic Kingdom, it would disappear from our plans. If you do order something from here, go with the Croque Madame. It is a game-changing dish. We both really love it.

I agree with your hot tip about pre-ordering! I also agree that my food at Be Our Guest has often been mediocre.

Ron is 240 pounds of pure old-man muscle so he was able to single-handedly swing our car back and forth with ease.

This is the best! On one of my solo trips, I was paired with a family of three who had been telling me in the queue that they could really rock the cart since they were large. They were not lying. We had that thing really rocking and it enhanced the ride in a way I have not been able to replicate since.

After our flight landed, we walked away from Fantasyland and towards Haunted Mansion. I snapped photos while we waited in the queue. I have not done a lot of work in black-and-white, but I was excited to dabble a bit into the monochromatic world with these busts.

Disney-World-193-683x1024.jpg

What camera are you using? I am relatively new to using a DSLR and I had to go investigate the monochrome option!

When we returned to the resort Sarah and I felt slightly restless so we wandered while her mom and dad slept. They were tired after such a full day of touring! While we walked we decided we would become Disney Vacation Club members! Honestly, I am surprised it has taken us this long to reach this decision. It seems like a logical next step into Disney madness for Sarah and I.

We grabbed a drink from the Banana Cabana on our way back to our room to celebrate our continued dedication to the Mouse.

Did you just join right then and there? Did you go over to the sales center at Saratoga Springs? What's your home resort? I joined last year and I'm using my points for the first time in a few weeks!

Hot tip: asked to be placed on the exterior of the restaurant. They will not guarantee that you will be placed there, but best to try. The food was not bad, but it was inconsistent. The first few dishes (bread service, salad, and appetizers) were really good.

The meat was not up to the quality that I would expect from ‘Ohana. Sure, I left the restaurant with a belly full of tasty steak, chicken, and shrimp. Sure, I considered never eating again because I was so full. I just wanted better! The meats were just sporadic. Some were good and tender and cooked correctly and some were chewy or overcooked.

This is a good tip. I've somehow never been to 'Ohana, but I'm going this summer with my friend. We're looking forward to it!

There are many great photographers on the DIS Boards but few can compete with your results. I always look forward to your reports.

Oh my what you said! The pictures are so crisp that. I feel as if i am right there with you.

I like trip reports and read them often, but I am seldom swept along with the authors in the manner yours has drawn me in. Thank you!

I agree with your hot tip about pre-ordering! I also agree that my food at Be Our Guest has often been mediocre.

This is the best! On one of my solo trips, I was paired with a family of three who had been telling me in the queue that they could really rock the cart since they were large. They were not lying. We had that thing really rocking and it enhanced the ride in a way I have not been able to replicate since.

What camera are you using? I am relatively new to using a DSLR and I had to go investigate the monochrome option!

Did you just join right then and there? Did you go over to the sales center at Saratoga Springs? What's your home resort? I joined last year and I'm using my points for the first time in a few weeks!

This is a good tip. I've somehow never been to 'Ohana, but I'm going this summer with my friend. We're looking forward to it!
Thank you for all your responses! I appreciate all your feedback and you reading these!

I use a Nikon D7500. I will then take it to Adobe Lightroom and edit from there. I had never done the monochrome thing, I will definitely have to continue!

Sarah and I didn't join yet, but we will be within the next year or so! We decided we wanted to get at least halfway to paying off the initial fees before we invest in something like that. We also want to have a lot of points so that is a big task! We are thinking of trying to buy at Bay Lake Tower or Animal Kingdom Lodge. I am trying to figure out what would be the best financial option for us. I am excited for you to use your points, tell me how it goes! Are you at Saratoga?

'Ohana was really great for us the first time and only above-average the second time. I really think our experience would have been better if we had a different table!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter