We Should Thank Mr. Disney - AUG/SEP 2016 PTR (Updated 9/4)

OneThree

DIS Veteran
"We should thank Mr. Disney." so says my five year old daughter. I agree.

This is my first stab at a PTR but I figured I'd try one out and hopefully provide some helpful info just as so many others on this board have given me.

How'd We Book Our Trip:
We booked our package through Costco Travel and had no issues with the process. Everything arrived on time and our packaged included the vouchers for a character breakfast, a gift card (amount varies based on length of stay), a photo memory from select attractions, a coupon card for various locations in DTD, etc... Oh and these DLR 60th Anniversary pins and lanyards.

How'd We Get to Disneyland?
We flew into SNA on Delta even though LAX had a direct flight and was a bit cheaper. SNA gave us some different flight options and we didn't want to deal with LAX and getting back and forth from DLR.

We included roundtrip vouchers for the Disneyland Resort Express. The bus from SNA was on time, the driver friendly and professional but the coach was old and not very clean. There wasn't trash or anything on the bus but it just had the look of grime on the interior. As this was our first time needing shuttle service I can't really comment on whether the DLRE was better or worse then other options. In the end the bus got us to DLR safe and sound.

Where'd We Stay?
We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, 5th floor standard room in the Adventure tower. I had requested the Adventure tower and was pleased to have had the request granted even though they explain its only a request. They also had the package we shipped to ourselves ready for us.

We absolutely loved the hotel!. While I was busy checking in the kids were greeted by Minnie, Goofy and Pluto. The retro look of the lobby was fitting of the history of the hotel and there is just so much to look at just in the lobby area.

If you are a fan of pools like my kids are you can't go wrong with the DLH. They were in the water soon after we checked in. There is ample seating around the pool though not always in the shade so get their early if you want shade! They had life vests available if needed, multiple lifeguards around each pool area (D and E Ticket and the Monorail slides) and, for those needing a beverage, a roaming server.

Our room was large with two queens and a pull out. Since we were in a standard room we expected to be staring at trees but were surprised that even being on the 5th floor we could see parts of DTD, Mickey's Fun Wheel in CA and the fireworks!

Since being up since 3 AM on arrival day we didn't do much other than check-in, hit the pool and grab a bite at Tangerroa Terrace. The food was good for a QS place. After that we were dead tired and sacked out early since we had an EMH at DL the next morning.

Last edited:
Disneyland:
We arrived on a Monday so had planned on Tuesday, Thursday and part of Friday before we had to head to the airport as Disneyland days and pretty much stuck to that.

EMH:
If you are like me you read countless threads and articles on Extra Magic Hour, what it is, how best to tackle it, etc... Since we went the last week of August, park hours were 10:00 AM for regular opening so a 9:00 AM opening. We planned to be at security by 8:30 AM on the EMH days and that worked well for us. We certainly weren't the first people in line but were probably about 10-15 back.

Pro Tip: when you get to security and see only two lines, its a certainty that more lines will be opened to handle the flow of people. How security handles those extra line openings differed on both DL EMH days but be prepared to stay in the line you are already in or hustle to another.

One thing I found helpful from reading others experiences was the knowledge that EMH is a series of lines; the line through security, the line through the gates to DL and then the line at the end of Main Street. I found the line at the end of Main Street interesting just by watching people try to jostle for position. Some people slowly slipped into gaps, some people blindly pushed strollers through to get more space.

We learned quickly that there is always someone who will be there earlier than you, or in the case of Disneyland EMH, many, many people who arrive earlier than you

Regardless of the crowds, the last week of August was an excellent time to visit DL. During the EMH on both days we were able to hit just about any ride with little to no wait and do it more than once in the first hour if so desired. That is of course except for PP. We never made it on that one! I've never seen so many people flat out sprint for a ride like we saw for PP!

Despite not getting on PP we were able to do pretty much everything else that we wanted. Crowds were low and the weather, though a little hot, was near perfect!

On both EMH days we were able to hit HSM, Star Tours, Buzz, everything open in Fantasyland (except PP) and do any of those rides multiple times if so desired.

For regular park opening we joined yet another line to wait for rope drop into Frontierland/Adventureland and hit BTMRR, Indy and Splash without the need for a FP. Pirates was a walk-on most hours of the day except when Indy went down which happened a few times on Tuesday.

Speaking of Splash, did they change something in that ride? I don't think I have ever gotten soaked like I did when we rode it! Of course with temps in the high 80s, low 90s it was not long to dry off. Like some threads have mentioned, Splash looks a little worse for wear in some of the character scenes. The remedy seemed just to turn the lights of in those sections. :(

Last edited:
California Adventure:
The DW and I had been to California Adventure only once before and not for very long so this trip would be the first time we would really explore that park and man was I impressed. There is so much detail in the various "lands" and everything is much more spread out than DL, at least it felt that way to me, so it didn't feel like you had so many bottlenecks like you do in DL.

We did the EMH on Wednesday, for California Adventure. Though not as busy as the EMHs for DL there was a healthy crowd at the rope drop area. Thanks to tips read on here when the rope did drop we watched most people head for Cars Land while we headed for TSMM and Screaming. TSMM is a super fun ride! Both my DS (8) and DD (5) loved it. Since this was park opening it was a walk on and we were able to do it twice in a row with no waits.

After exploring the pier and wharf area we then headed to Cars Land. If you are a fan of the Cars movie you will love Cars Land. DS commented numerous times how much it looked "just like the movie". The level of detail in the land is amazing. Sarge's, Luigi's, Flo's, Ramone's, you name it Disney Imagineers have done a fabulous job with this land!

We hit Radiator Springs Racers after strolling down the street. Since the park was now open to all it was a but busier but we only waited about 15 mins in line (This ride is just as amazing as everyone says it is!), followed my Luigi's (cute) and then Mater's Junk Yard (unless its a walk on I'd skip this one).

We saw Mater as soon as we walked in to Cars Land but he had a long line of guests waiting to see him. Lighting however had just pulled up to the Cozy Cone after we got of Luigi's ride so my kids were able to get a picture with him. My son was wearing a birthday button and Lighting wished him happy birthday which just amazed my son!

As amazing as Cars Land was, I will say my favorite ride was not in that land but rather over in Condor Flats and the "new" Soarin' Around the World Ride. We rode this no less than four times during our stay and I honestly would have ridden it again if I could have. The wait gets fairly long (30 minutes and up) once the park opens but the queue is shaded and they had misters running to help keep it cool. We only waited in line once, used fast passes twice and actually walked on towards the end of one evening.

The line for PP is always epic, but I'll still suffer through it to ride it. Lol

SNA is such a better option than LAX when going to DL.

Our daughters first trip to DL included a stay at DLH and she went gaga over it (we do too), it's so convienient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter