"We shall double our efforts" - July/Sept 2017 Dining Report - Update 9/26 Flying Fish (Complete)

Nomad Lounge

This short weekend trip came about because I had to do something on the Space Coast on Friday morning/afternoon. Since its a 4 hour drive to that area, I didn’t want to drive up there Thursday Night and immediately return Friday Evening so I used some DVC points and got a studio at Saratoga Springs for two nights. I wasn’t supposed to make it to WDW until 6PM at night so I had made my fastpasses to start at 6:40PM but circumstances changed and I actually arrived at 4PM. I settled in at my studio (which was literally the worst studio I’ve ever stayed in and emailed member services about it)

So since I arrived earlier than planned, I headed over to Animal Kingdom earlier than planned but the waits for everything were long. I also hadn’t eaten since like 9:30AM so I decided to get a snack before my later ADR at Yak & Yeti. What better place for a snack at Animal Kingdom than Nomad Lounge?

While all the tables were full in the lounge, I was able to get a seat at the bar without too much of an issue. I ordered a fruity cocktail to start as I wanted something refreshing while I debated on what snack I wanted. The cocktail was exactly what I wanted!

G1z5P2u.jpg

Lamu Libation - Starr African Rum, Cruzan Banana Rum, Guava Puree w/ Orange, Lime, Pineapple Juices w/ Gosling’s 151 Rum

I went with the chicken wing appetizer after debating between the wings or the pork ribs. The chicken wings had just a bit of spice to it. I’m not entirely sure how I felt about them as I couldn’t tell if I liked them, was just really hungry, or something just wasn’t for me. I wasn’t in the best head place at this point so that could have done that for me.

HbOy0cV.jpg

Asian Barbecue Chicken Wings

I still had time to kill so I got one of my cocktails I know I love. I love bourbon and this is a great cocktail! I’ve had it before at Tiffins so I knew I loved it. I savored this as I killed some more time.

BFR2PNF.jpg

Tempting Tigress - Russell’s Reserve 10yr Bourbon, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Tamarind Syrup and Lime Juice

Overall a great way to ease into the fun part of the weekend!​

It sure must be nice to live so close to Disney and be part of DVC, I'm jealous! I'm sorry your studio was bad, that stinks. The drinks and wings look good to me. I hope your evening mood improves with some food and adult beverages lol!

The Tiffin Bar Menu sounds much more appealing to me than the MDR. I'm not sure why. Your chicken wings look good! I'm hoping we get to the bar on my next trip.

It sure must be nice to live so close to Disney and be part of DVC, I'm jealous! I'm sorry your studio was bad, that stinks. The drinks and wings look good to me. I hope your evening mood improves with some food and adult beverages lol!

It is nice to be so close! Out of my many visits for DVC - this was the first time it was bad enough for me to email Member Services so that isn't too bad.

You can't go wrong with cocktails and wings!

The Tiffin Bar Menu sounds much more appealing to me than the MDR. I'm not sure why. Your chicken wings look good! I'm hoping we get to the bar on my next trip.

The Bar Menu is pretty decent and reasonably priced! It probably has items more up Fran's alley than the main dining room as well! I hope you get to the bar too! They have some really awesome cocktails that are unique since they aren't just using the standard bar menu that is most places.

Pongu Pongu

I had some more time to kill so I decided to walk around Pandora. I really liked the gift shop but I wasn’t looking at making any major purchases today!

n84lWCS.jpg

Mo’ara Margarita - Sauza Conmemorative Anejo Tequila w/ Strawberry and Blood Orange Flavor Topped with Strawberry Boba Balls

This was disappointing. It was one of those frozen margaritas that makes your mouth feel slimy as you drink it because of the flavoring used inside. I threw it out after a quarter of it drank because I hated that feeling that much!​

Reactions: DLo
Sorry the Pandora margarita was a bust, but loving the Nomads drinks. IMO the best bar on property!

What was it that was so disappointing about the studio? By the way, enjoying your reviews.

A blistered right in the middle where your crack would go, yellowed dingy toilet seat
A floor completely soaking wet (as if they just deep cleaned it but put the room back into inventory early)
Mildew all over bathroom door

I think it was the toilet that really did it in for me that I felt the need to email member services about it.

Sorry the Pandora margarita was a bust, but loving the Nomads drinks. IMO the best bar on property!

Nomad is one of the best bars on property! It definitely wins for food and drinks! Mizner's wins for best bartenders though as I love the main lady bartender there who I've seen over the years! She has been around since my wedding - saw the drama that was my friend's wedding and been a great conversationalist over the years. They also have a great Manhattan as well!

Yak & Yeti

After I threw out my gross margarita, I went on the Safari where lots of animals were active as it was finally cooling off for the day (well as cooled off as it gets in July in Florida) as it was still before sunset. During this ride, my tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks. Seeing I didn’t get into Cape Canaveral until after 11PM and didn’t get dinner until almost midnight, I didn’t go to bed until 1AM or so. Add in a frustrating day, my body was exhausted. My ADR for Yak & Yeti wasn’t until 8:30PM and it was just a little after 7PM now. I walked to Yak & Yeti and was able to get them to let me just eat at the bar instead. Saved myself the $10 cancellation fee!

UHVA2tg.jpg

I started with another cocktail as who doesn’t love cocktails? Yes, this was my 4th cocktail in 2 hours but I didn’t care. I went with something fruity as that is what Yak & Yeti does best.

UaYumz5.jpg

Kiwi Kimono - Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, Fresh Kiwi and Sweet & Sour

It had been a while since I had been to Yak & Yeti but I went with one of my favorite starters. My wonton soup was exactly as I remember it being. They just have best crunchies for the soup. I realize that is a silly reason to love a dish but I am who I am!

C7PZtaK.jpg

Wonton Soup - Pork Wontons, Clear Chicken Broth, and Vegetables

For the other part of my meal, I got another appetizer as I wasn’t hugely hungry but knew I needed something more if I didn’t want to be starving in the morning. The sauce was just the right amount of heat and the amount was just the right amount to fill me up.

gWE4lYz.jpg

Firecracker Shrimp - Crispy Fried Shrimp Tossed in a Creamy, Spicy Sauce, Asian Slaw

During this dinner, I still didn’t feel any less tired. I called it before my Dinosaur FP and my River of Lights FP and headed back to the resort. I needed that sleep! I crawled into bed and was out before 10PM!​

A blistered right in the middle where your crack would go, yellowed dingy toilet seat
A floor completely soaking wet (as if they just deep cleaned it but put the room back into inventory early)
Mildew all over bathroom door

I think it was the toilet that really did it in for me that I felt the need to email member services about it.

Wow, that's terrible! Considering how ridiculously cheap toilet seats are, there's really no excuse for not replacing that when it needs it. Although, it really does baffle me how they can get so discolored if they are cleaned regularly. (I completely believe you, I've come across plenty of discolored and gouged toilet seats as a home repair contractor, but I still just don't understand what people do to them to jack them up so much. And I'm sure I don't want to know!)

I appreciate the heads up about the margarita. I was looking forward to trying it but I hate that slimy feeling too.

Mo’ara Margarita - Sauza Conmemorative Anejo Tequila w/ Strawberry and Blood Orange Flavor Topped with Strawberry Boba Balls

This was disappointing. It was one of those frozen margaritas that makes your mouth feel slimy as you drink it because of the flavoring used inside. I threw it out after a quarter of it drank because I hated that feeling that much!
Oh man, I loved this margarita in May! I hope they didn't change anything about it because I don't remember my mouth feeling like that and I totally planned on getting it again next month.

Kiwi Kimono - Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, Fresh Kiwi and Sweet & Sour
Mmm, that looks right up my alley :thumbsup2 Eating here next month so it'll be mine!

Tired or not glad to see you and your 4 cocktails (we're so alike) stuck it out :-) Casey had the wonton soup on our last trip and now I'm kicking myself for not trying the crunchies. I'm a sucker for a good crunch!

Wow, that's terrible! Considering how ridiculously cheap toilet seats are, there's really no excuse for not replacing that when it needs it. Although, it really does baffle me how they can get so discolored if they are cleaned regularly. (I completely believe you, I've come across plenty of discolored and gouged toilet seats as a home repair contractor, but I still just don't understand what people do to them to jack them up so much. And I'm sure I don't want to know!)

I appreciate the heads up about the margarita. I was looking forward to trying it but I hate that slimy feeling too.

Yeah - that is why I took it upon myself to contact them and let them know about the condition the room was in. There are no reasons for that!

Oh man, I loved this margarita in May! I hope they didn't change anything about it because I don't remember my mouth feeling like that and I totally planned on getting it again next month.

Mmm, that looks right up my alley :thumbsup2 Eating here next month so it'll be mine!

Well - as it is a pre-mixed frozen machine - maybe they put too much of the mix in there and not enough alcohol giving it that slimy feel! As there are so many great drinks around Animal Kingdom - I'll just stick to the other bars that I know make great ones!

Tired or not glad to see you and your 4 cocktails (we're so alike) stuck it out :-) Casey had the wonton soup on our last trip and now I'm kicking myself for not trying the crunchies. I'm a sucker for a good crunch!

I did get my 4 cocktails in! We do love our cocktails! I slept so well that night!

Artist’s Palette

I actually hadn’t set an alarm as going into today - I really didn’t have many plans until the Tables in Wonderland Preview and all my FP+ originally were for the afternoon. I woke up naturally around 7AM so I got ready and headed over to Artist’s Palette to grab a quick breakfast. I decided on a cinnamon roll as Saratoga Springs sells their cinnamon rolls warm and freshly iced. You can’t go wrong with that! I also got some sparkling water as I knew it was going to be a hot day so needed to make sure I stayed hydrated.

izmoPiu.jpg

Cinnamon Rolls, Cheese and Sparkling Water

After breakfast, I headed to the bus stop and got on the bus for EPCOT. I got to the park not too long before opening and was able to walk right onto Soarin, Living with the Land, Baymax, Joy/Sadness and the normal Character Stop. Spaceship Earth went down but looking in the My Disney Experience App - I noticed that Frozen Ever After had a 10 minute wait even with being 10:30AM! I was shocked! I headed over there and saw it was true so I no longer needed that FP+ for 5:15PM!

gMePBAm.png

UMd3TJL.png

MslgyQ1.png

Reactions: DLo
I had to do a double take on Artists Palatte as I thought you went on a cruise. But now that I think of it the cruise ship I think is Animators Palate. But similar either way :-)

What a productive morning. I can't believe the wait for FEA was so short. I don't intend to get a FP on our next trip, so Casey would love it if we could walk on

Ugh on the studio - that sounds awful! As does a slimy margarita. Yuck! But Nomads and Yak and Yeti sound great. I still haven't tried Nomads! I am kicking myself for missing the pre-Pandora window. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the F&W preview. I was tempted to go but just didn't work out.

Just got caught up on your last few updates, I showed the Cinnamon Roll to Fran since we're staying there in October. Although I will be requesting Congress Park at online check in, but I guess that's not far from where Artist's Palette is located.

The wonton soup from Yak and Yeti looks tasty. I don't know why Fran doesn't seem to want to eat there. Perhaps because we have so much Asian food at home, she doesn't want to "waste" a Disney restaurant on it.

Wow! Morton's looks great. I am such a sucker for a nice chopped salad, I would have loved your (or your mom's) meal. Those shrimp look great! Is Morton's owned by Landry's? Maybe we should check out an Atlanta location... and what a cool gift to get a photo! My mom would have loved that. Glad we got to see you this month and you got to meet my mom! Now I just have to plan a trip to crash a Dis_Yoda & mom trip since y'all's trips look perfect...

Plate #1 - Bacon, Manchego, Pancake, Grits, Donuts
:worship: I have never seen bacon like that on a buffet. I am going to have to give this accomodations thing more thought in the future...

(which was literally the worst studio I’ve ever stayed in and emailed member services about it)
Especially given this. I am now recalling our kvetching about the sad state of your studio and my aulani studio with the sad bathroom. Woof!

Lamu Libation - Starr African Rum, Cruzan Banana Rum, Guava Puree w/ Orange, Lime, Pineapple Juices w/ Gosling’s 151 Rum
Yeah! Genius move when you need a pick me up. This is vacation in a glass.

I went with the chicken wing appetizer after debating between the wings or the pork ribs.
MISTAKE! Those ribs are sooooo good. The wings are... fine, as you discovered. But the ribs!

Firecracker Shrimp - Crispy Fried Shrimp Tossed in a Creamy, Spicy Sauce, Asian Slaw

During this dinner, I still didn’t feel any less tired. I called it before my Dinosaur FP and my River of Lights FP and headed back to the resort.
I didn't realize that you actually ate there during our discussion of this. Chalk it up to me being a goober and worried about my mom's foot, I guess. Looks good though and I looove those shrimp!

I decided on a cinnamon roll as Saratoga Springs sells their cinnamon rolls warm and freshly iced. You can’t go wrong with that! I also got some sparkling water as I knew it was going to be a hot day so needed to make sure I stayed hydrated.
Uh yeah cause you're a double genius. Dang that cinnamon roll looks great!

And of course I am looking forward to your review of our shared F&W preview experience!!!

Glad you enjoyed Yak and Yeti, we always have a good meal there. Sorry your room was not up to Disney standard ugh! We are thinking about staying there in 2018, renting points because it is very reasonable and it would be the last trip before our AP's expire. The cinnamon roll looks so yummy. I love your pictures with Baymax and Joy and Sadness, so cute! Score for many things done at Epcot in the am!

I had to do a double take on Artists Palatte as I thought you went on a cruise. But now that I think of it the cruise ship I think is Animators Palate. But similar either way :-)

What a productive morning. I can't believe the wait for FEA was so short. I don't intend to get a FP on our next trip, so Casey would love it if we could walk on

Oh! How I miss cruising! We haven't cruised since 2014. Maybe a short 3 or 4 nighters in 2018 can be planned especially if they have plans out of Miami. Just need to get through 2017 before I can decide that (and if Star Wars Light Side Weekend happens).

I was shocked FEA was so short! I wonder if its popularity is finally dying down. I mean, the ride is cute but its no Soarin or Test Track! I just checked it on the My Disney Experience APP and it was only 25 minutes right now while Soarin and Test Track are 60 min +. That seems about what it should be. Maelstrom used to average between 10 and 45 minutes depending on the day.

Ugh on the studio - that sounds awful! As does a slimy margarita. Yuck! But Nomads and Yak and Yeti sound great. I still haven't tried Nomads! I am kicking myself for missing the pre-Pandora window. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the F&W preview. I was tempted to go but just didn't work out.

While the studio was disappointing, at least I was on a solo trip and is wasn't going to make or break our trip. If it was a RunDisney weekend or a longer vacation - I would have probably go and dealt with the front desk over it. Nomads is totally going to be way more busy now that Pandora is open. At least the tasty eats and cocktails are still there!

Just got caught up on your last few updates, I showed the Cinnamon Roll to Fran since we're staying there in October. Although I will be requesting Congress Park at online check in, but I guess that's not far from where Artist's Palette is located.

The wonton soup from Yak and Yeti looks tasty. I don't know why Fran doesn't seem to want to eat there. Perhaps because we have so much Asian food at home, she doesn't want to "waste" a Disney restaurant on it.

Fran will totally love that cinnamon roll! You can't beat warm gooey rolls with lots of tasty icing on top! Much better than many of the others around Disney. I requested ground floor and close to Disney Springs. I got neither this go around but it didn't matter too much for me at least for this trip! Hopefully I get better room mojo for November at the Boardwalk!

The cream cheese wonton dessert won't tempt her to at least try it? At least you have tiffins to go to. You guys do have awesome Asian food around you. I go out there in November for work and I'm already looking forward to the awesome eats!

Wow! Morton's looks great. I am such a sucker for a nice chopped salad, I would have loved your (or your mom's) meal. Those shrimp look great! Is Morton's owned by Landry's? Maybe we should check out an Atlanta location... and what a cool gift to get a photo! My mom would have loved that. Glad we got to see you this month and you got to meet my mom! Now I just have to plan a trip to crash a Dis_Yoda & mom trip since y'all's trips look perfect...

It was great! It had been so long since we had been there that I was happy to have it as an option again. I believe Morton's is owned by Landry's.

Well, the next Dis_Yoda/mom trip is Labor Day weekend (Beach Club) and then again on Thanksgiving (Ritz then)

:worship: I have never seen bacon like that on a buffet. I am going to have to give this accomodations thing more thought in the future...
This is an accommodation that you need to have a car for since it is near Sea World. If you don't mind driving, it isn't at all bad! They do have some great rates from time to time too!

Especially given this. I am now recalling our kvetching about the sad state of your studio and my aulani studio with the sad bathroom. Woof!
Yup! Those photos went to DVC member services as seriously! Who keeps a bubbled toilet seat in a room!

Yeah! Genius move when you need a pick me up. This is vacation in a glass.
It was a great pick me up! Tropical fruit juices are the way to go!

MISTAKE! Those ribs are sooooo good. The wings are... fine, as you discovered. But the ribs
Good to know! Next time I need a snack there, I'll totally go for the ribs!

I didn't realize that you actually ate there during our discussion of this. Chalk it up to me being a goober and worried about my mom's foot, I guess. Looks good though and I looove those shrimp!
How is your mom's foot doing? She seemed to be doing ok that day! I also probably wasn't clear about it since I didn't talk about my dishes there as I was in zombie mode when eating there.

Uh yeah cause you're a double genius. Dang that cinnamon roll looks great!

It was great! Best cinnamon rolls at WDW from what I've had at least.

And of course I am looking forward to your review of our shared F&W preview experience!!!

Coming up!

Glad you enjoyed Yak and Yeti, we always have a good meal there. Sorry your room was not up to Disney standard ugh! We are thinking about staying there in 2018, renting points because it is very reasonable and it would be the last trip before our AP's expire. The cinnamon roll looks so yummy. I love your pictures with Baymax and Joy and Sadness, so cute! Score for many things done at Epcot in the am!

I figured this was the best time to go enjoy Yak & Yeti again since I didn't want to spend a ton of money this trip. My husband and I are totally partial to Tiffins more now though. Yak & Yeti has always met our needs as we aren't really counter service people.

I've stayed at Saratoga Springs 5 or 6 times before this. This was the only time I experienced a room in this condition. In all my other DVC stays, we haven't had a room like that! I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It was a really productive day at EPCOT! Glad I got what I needed to get done that morning! No way I could have convinced my husband to go in those character lines![/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter