Our first cruise ever, to Alaska (May 2019) - updated through Day 6

i'm still enjoying your trip report!! as a mom of 3 (still sort of little) boys I always look for other families with 3 boys :D

Enjoying your report! Taking a first cruise with DCL is probably the best mistake we ever made. I think it completely ruined us for other cruise lines! We're taking our first Alaska cruise in September, just me and DH. I can't wait!

Oh, and I was born in Minnesota, so hey!

I’m sailing in August to Alaska so really enjoying reading this. Can’t wait for the next instalment

Great report! We sailed Alaska last year on the Wonder and loved it! It’s nice to re-live the trip through your report.

Following along. We booked our first Disney cruise and we chose Alaska in June 2020. We went on Princess last year but I ended up getting sick so its a redo and we are really exciting to try DCL!

i'm still enjoying your trip report!! as a mom of 3 (still sort of little) boys I always look for other families with 3 boys :D
Thank you! I hope you had a happy Canada Day last week btw. :) Being the only female in a house full of boys surely is an adventure!

Enjoying your report! Taking a first cruise with DCL is probably the best mistake we ever made. I think it completely ruined us for other cruise lines! We're taking our first Alaska cruise in September, just me and DH. I can't wait!

Oh, and I was born in Minnesota, so hey!
Thank you for reading! It sounds like you may have escaped Minnesota? I hope to someplace warmer! DCL has definitely ruined us for other cruise lines, too, as I knew it would! I am sure you will have a great time in September. We actually considered a September cruise because there was a sailing on my actual birthday then, but school schedules wouldn't allow it.

I’m sailing in August to Alaska so really enjoying reading this. Can’t wait for the next instalment
How exciting! I bet that's a great time to go for wildlife like bears and salmon. Please shout if you have any questions about anything. Would love to help if I can.

Great report! We sailed Alaska last year on the Wonder and loved it! It’s nice to re-live the trip through your report.
Fantastic! When in the season did you go? Thanks for reading along.

Following along. We booked our first Disney cruise and we chose Alaska in June 2020. We went on Princess last year but I ended up getting sick so its a redo and we are really exciting to try DCL!
How sad about your previous cruise! Did your sickness last long? Possible sickness was a big worry of mine in advance of our trip. We got trip insurance and tried our best to practice good preventive healthcare in advance but as I said, we did have one son get sick onboard. Thankfully he bounced back quickly, but if he hadn't a redo would be so tempting. It's just so amazing there.

I'm sure it will be very interesting for you to see how your two cruises compare.

Day 3 (May 22, 2019) - Dawes Glacier, Alaska

I went to the fitness center at 7:15, leaving the others happily sleeping. I love how the stars in the carpet point toward the Forward part of the ship. Such a helpful detail that they included in the design.

I learned that window view spots go quickly, as I found an elliptical further back. It was fine though, as I discovered something else to watch: a replay of an interesting naturalist talk from the day before, about the gold rush in Skagway. I was hoping to see all the naturalist talks on the cruise, but sadly we only caught one live. The reason we had missed this one about the gold rush when it was presented in the Buena Vista Theatre was because it conflicted with “Endgame.” School is out for the year and there’s no way I was gonna win that battle!

On my way back, I stopped by Cove Cafe for a mocha and treats to bring back to the room (mini blueberry muffins and mini chocolate croissants). While there, I glimpsed an Alaska travel mug behind the counter that I hadn’t seen in the gift shop, so got that as well. (The one in the gift shop was larger than I had wanted.)

We ate breakfast outside again at Cabanas, loving the view of the ship’s wake.

I asked Jeff if I could take a photo of him by the railing, and when I did so noticed others gathering to take photos of something else.

It was a rainbow! Just lovely!

We met Thor on Deck 5 in the midship area. My husband may have discreetly complimented him on losing the “beer gut” (Endgame reference), to which he responded, “It’s what’s on the inside that counts.”

We intentionally avoided interior hallways when moving about the ship, because the views were always amazing outside.

We had tickets to the Frozen Gathering meet and greet at 10am, which was in Animator’s Palate, so we made our way there. The boys joined us, partially because we were hoping Olaf might be included. Unfortunately he was not, but Anna and Elsa were sweet, and Kevin was glad to have them autograph next to his sketches.

When we returned to our room after, we found some nice surprises from Sat: five light-up snowflake necklaces and five chocolate bars (the latter were our prizes from Anna’s Chocolate Chase).

I hung out on the verandah with Jeff and Sam, watching the beautiful sights, drinking coffee, and eating the chocolates we’d earned on yesterday’s chase, as we moved slowly toward the glacier. Today in our Navigator the main attraction was scheduled from 12pm to 4:30pm: “Fords Terror Wilderness Scenic Cruise Viewing” or what is known as Glacier Day! We were so excited for this special day. We would be sailing into Endicott Arm, a sheer-walled fjord that is over 30 miles long and culminates with a viewing of Dawes Glacier. I wondered where the name “Fords Terror” came from, so did some research and learned that in 1889 a naval crewman named Ford paddled into the narrow entrance at slack tide, while the water was calm and still. Then, the tide rose and he was trapped inside for six terror-filled hours, as his boat was tossed about by turbulent currents and slammed with chunks of ice.

Last edited:
Love your pics of Cabana's, beautiful views on the entire Alaska cruise!!!

The twins spent some time in Vibe. Kevin participated in Animation Antics, where he drew Mickey Mouse. Benji played some Uno.

At 12:15 Jeff and I went to another ticketed event, the Princess Gathering, which was located in the atrium. We met Belle in her yellow dress (a first for us!), Ariel, Cinderella, and Tiana. It was good to meet them, especially in such a convenient fashion, but the photos look awkward to me. Jeff and I look like lumberjacks standing next to the elegant princesses in their very formal ball gowns and long gloves. I wish I had changed for them, but we were all dressing in plaid that day for the characters in their Alaska outfits.

I'm pretty sure Cinderella was also troubled by our fashion statement. She was too polite to confront us directly with it, though. ;)

We got lunch at Cabanas. My meal is not a good example of a healthy plate of food, rich in a variety of colors and therefore nutritious. It was all tasty, though. It is also fair to conclude that we clearly are not a low-carb family.

We then went up to Deck 10 where we would spend most of the day, watching the scenery get more dramatic as we neared Dawes Glacier. We spent much of the time in various lines to meet characters, but the lines were at the railings and always afforded perfect views, which made the time fly by.

This photo shows where our ship was headed: to the place where you can see a small gap between the left and right sides of the fjord.

We were planning to get in Goofy’s line, but got in line for Pluto accidentally. (We had arrived in advance of his scheduled arrival time of 1:15, so he wasn’t out yet.) When we realized our mistake, we had invested enough time that decided to just stay put. We have nothing against Pluto, but of all the characters his Alaska outfit was least interesting (really just a scarf). It was still fun to meet him, of course, and Kevin needed his autograph.

If you are heading to Alaska, note that the Navigator indicates if characters will be meeting on the port side with a “p” or the starboard side with an “s.” We didn’t look closely enough in advance.

Last edited:
How exciting! I bet that's a great time to go for wildlife like bears and salmon. Please shout if you have any questions about anything. Would love to help if I can.

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to the excursions I booked and really want to meet the characters in their Alaskan outfits. I’m also a solo traveller, a little unsure if it’ll be awkward. I know I’ll have fun though

I loved glacier day! It's just amazing. We went the third week of June last year.

After Pluto, we got back in line for Donald, who arrived at 2:15. Then, we got back in line for Minnie, who was scheduled to come out at 3pm. These were all on the port side, so very easy. It was an amazing day. The pictures can't do it justice.

We spotted mountain goats with our binoculars.

The glacial ice was such a brilliant blue.

You can get an idea of how close the Glacier Explorer excursion boats got to Dawes Glacier, compared to the Wonder. Pretty impressive.

And here they are coming back!

Donald's always such fun! Love him in plaid.

I was probably most excited to meet Minnie. She was adorable.

When we were positioned in the line with the closest view we'd have of the glacier, we took turns with other guests next to us in taking photos of each other with it. They did a great job!

Disney photographers took some family pictures too.

The boys were done after we had met Minnie, but Jeff and I scurried over to the starboard side for Mickey, who had also started greeting guests at 3pm. He looked fantastic as an Alaskan fisherman.

We were so glad we made it in time! I had been nervous about having enough time to try to meet both before the lines closed, but it was easy. We also enjoyed chatting with people in line while we waited. We talked with some friendly people who had been on the Glacier Explorer Expedition about their experiences, which sounded amazing. They talked about hearing the calving, which sounded so dramatic. The people I spoke with who did the excursion said they felt it was well worth the cost.

The truth is, we were surprised our ship didn’t get as close to the glacier as we’d expected. Due to the ice in the water, apparently that was the best the captain felt was safe, according to what I heard from a cast member later. Of course we understand safety has to be the main concern, so it was okay.

Split pea soup in bread bowls as well as hot chocolate were offered to the guests by cast members on Deck 10, which was very thoughtful. We enjoyed hot chocolate that day, partly because it provided a little extra warmth, but mainly because it's always delicious. I should add that we were just amazed at the weather on glacier day. It was extremely mild and comfortable outside everywhere, including on Deck 10, the best spot for all of the beautiful views.

It cracked me up that our oldest son was drinking ice water as he looked out at the glacier. He's such a good water drinker.

After the ship had turned around and was heading back out of the fjord, we wandered down to Deck 4 where we watched the scenery from cozy lounge chairs.

The twins had gone to Vibe, where they had the opportunity to participate in an Animation Cel activity. Kevin chose the character Kuzko from “The Emperor’s New Groove” from a big binder of options. Then he traced it onto the cel and painted it. They also played Gaga Ball that afternoon. Kevin and Benji did tear themselves away for a bit to meet Chip ‘n’ Dale by Preludes in their Alaskan outfits. They are very popular, so the line was long. I left the line a few times to go check out the scenery outside from Deck 4 (this was easy, because the twins stayed put to hold our place). Sadly, I only had my iPhone, not our DSLR so the photos of the beautiful blue ice floes we continued to sail past were not as sharp as I would have liked.
I think this photo is kind of funny because it looks like Walt is keeping an eye on them.

Our whole family went to see Supernova Duo in Promenade Lounge for their 5:15pm Country Pop show. We all enjoy live music, so knew it would be fun and it didn’t disappoint.

It honestly could have been a pretty good day for the pool, but no one in our family was up for it.

The evening’s main show was “The Music and Comedy of John Charles,” which we saw in the Walt Disney Theatre at 6:15pm. John Charles played a big variety of well-known songs on his guitar, including “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “M-I-C-K-E-Y,” “You’re Welcome” from Moana, “Let It Go,” a cast member version of “You’ve Got a Friend in Me,” “It’s a Small World” (which he said is made clear on the cruise, when you open your stateroom door), and “Baby Shark.” Everyone, adults down to small kids, really seemed to love the show. Much of his act involved fielding requests from the audience for songs to sing. Suggestions were received with eagerness, with laughter, or sometimes quick rejection. Playing a Taylor Swift song took some intense mental preparation as he attempted to “channel her.” Included in the finale was a funny one about the frequent hand-washing required on the cruise. Sung to the tune “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands,” the new lyrics declared “I’ve got the cleanest hands in the world…” and included verses about them being so clean they are “dry and cracked” and so clean “I could do surgery.” The audience sang along enthusiastically throughout the show.

At 7:30pm we attended the Freezing the Night Away party on Deck 9. My boys weren’t eager to go, but they humored me. Jeff managed to completely escape it. I thought it was good but agree with my guys that it was clearly best enjoyed by younger kids.

Last edited:
Great updates! It looks like we have similar tastes in souvenirs, LOL. I bought the Minnie plush, the shiny aqua coffee mug (I LOVE this!!!), and the Alaska lanyard, too. And maybe a couple of other things, ha ha.
Glacier Day was one of my favorite days from the entire trip. I think my only regret was not trying the pea soup in a bread bowl. I was still so full from our Palo brunch earlier that morning. But I should have forced myself to make room for it anyway.

Looking forward to the next installment. And I love how your son did sketches and then had the characters sign them. Very cool.

Love your pics of Cabana's, beautiful views on the entire Alaska cruise!!!
Thanks! We are so glad the weather enabled us to enjoy eating outside most of the time we weren't at the main dining rooms. The views were always so amazing.

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to the excursions I booked and really want to meet the characters in their Alaskan outfits. I’m also a solo traveller, a little unsure if it’ll be awkward. I know I’ll have fun though
You will love it as a solo traveler. One of the days of our trip I was on my own a lot because Sam was sick and the twins were in Vibe and the cast members and other guests were so friendly that I always felt super-comfortable whatever I was doing. There were so many great activities throughout the cruise, but one of my favorite things was just sitting on the lounge chairs on Deck 4 with hot chocolate.

I loved glacier day! It's just amazing. We went the third week of June last year.
Nice!! Did you get very close? How was your weather?

Love your report and photos
Thank you so much! :flower:It's fun to remember the details as I'm writing.

Great updates! It looks like we have similar tastes in souvenirs, LOL. I bought the Minnie plush, the shiny aqua coffee mug (I LOVE this!!!), and the Alaska lanyard, too. And maybe a couple of other things, ha ha.
Glacier Day was one of my favorite days from the entire trip. I think my only regret was not trying the pea soup in a bread bowl. I was still so full from our Palo brunch earlier that morning. But I should have forced myself to make room for it anyway.

Looking forward to the next installment. And I love how your son did sketches and then had the characters sign them. Very cool.
Ha! That's funny about the souvenirs. You have great taste! Those Minnie plushes were popular, too. They ran out during our sailing.

You know, I wish I'd tried the soup, too. I love bread bowl soups but have never had that kind. We did not do Palo brunch, but I'm sure I would WAY overdo it if we had.

Your report is getting me very excited for my upcoming trip!
I'm so glad! You mentioned excursions. May I ask what you've booked? There were lots of good options.

We found this waiting for us in our room before dinner.

We wore our snowflake necklaces to Triton's. The boys said they liked that they made them look like Iron Man, if tucked inside their shirts with the lights turned on.

It was the Frozen menu, which was adorable.

Our dinners in the main dining rooms were definitely always a highlight of our days. We loved the unique theming of each location and the service was excellent. David, Dan, and John were so kind. I was impressed that members of our family tried a nice variety of new foods there, too.

Sam began with Elsa’s Coronation Scallops (Princess Scallops baked in a Shrimp Cognac-Tarragon Cream Sauce, topped with Flaky Pastry. He said they were good.

I started with the Jarlsberg Tart (with Onion and Thyme). It was delicious! (It reminded me of the yummy onion tartlet that is served at afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room at the Grand Floridian.)

Next was Sven’s Carrot Soup (with Caraway and Cream), which was different but tasty.

During dinner, Dan and David asked about our plans for the next day and offered some suggestions. I had arranged to rent a jeep through DIY Jeep Tours, so our family could spend the day exploring on our own, as an alternative to the popular, but more expensive, bus/train/summer sled dog camp excursion.

Kevin was surprisingly stressed at dinner. As we got talking, I learned it was about the day we had planned for Skagway tomorrow and the notion of crossing the border and being on our own away from the ship. He was worried about the logistics and the possibility of something going wrong that would cause us to miss the ship. We assured him it would all be fine, and we would be sure to be back to the ship early.

I am not sure if it's worth including menus, because those and the Navigators are hard to read for some reason. (My copies look fine, but after they are added to the trip report they are not as sharp.)

What do you think? If they are helpful, I want to post them. Does anyone have tips on how to ensure a sharper image if possible? Thanks in advance.

Dessert included a Pannekaken – Norwegian Pancake (Pancakes rolled in with a Sweetened Lingonberry Cream Cheese). Not great, in my opinion.

Olaf’s White Chocolate Floro Dome (Centered with Carrot Cake, Norwegian Cardamom Cookie, and Whipped Cream). I liked this.

The twins went to Vibe for the Crowning of the Couch Potato, a movie trivia contest. The rest of us went to Frozen Phrases in the D Lounge. Then, Jeff and I saw Matt Baker’s adult show in Azure, while Sam went back to the room to relax. The show was great! He did some more crazy stunts, including a ridiculous one where he tosses a “knife baby into a kid chair.” Yeah, that seems best to save for an older crowd, versus the general, family-oriented show we’d seen in the Walt Disney Theatre. He tossed a bowling ball up and caught it on his head. He also pulled a volunteer into his act for lesson on a ping pong ball trick.

We were all back in the room by 11pm. The twins had expressed an interest in going to Pajamarama Movie Night at Vibe, which would have kept them out past 12:30am, but the answer was no to that. We had our first port day tomorrow, and we wanted to go ashore by 8am to pick up a Jeep and hit the road. We were so thankful that Sam was much better and would be able to enjoy the long day out that we had planned. Sam had been drinking lots of fluids and taking it easy, and he really was basically back to normal for the rest of the vacation. And no one else caught whatever he had. Hooray!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter