We made the switch...

becky_AK

DIS Veteran
After many Disney cruises, we decided to give RC a try. I'm really excited, but now that it's "official' I'm having all of these questions and doubts....basically just praying that as Disney fans we aren't going to be disappointed. We are sailing on the Oasis in May 2020 and it'll be neat to see all the upgrades.

Any other tips, advice, etc? I'll be researching these threads but it's so stressful knowing we are "starting over" again with a new cruise line. I feel like I had Disney all figured out :-)

Oasis was our first Royal cruise! We had a ball. I was so nervous that we made the wrong choice coming from our one and only wonderful Dream cruise but no worries at all. My tip is tell you the cruise planner is your friend! You can keep checking for shows (aqua show, ice show and the Broadway show - I think it is still CATS on Oasis) but you want to book them ahead of time so you are assured getting into the theaters. Also, decide if you want or need the drink package. We don't drink all that much so the refreshment package suits me and hubby just fine with an occasional shot of the adult stuff along the way! Don't be afraid to book something on the cruise planner if you see it for a decent price. I like that even though you have to pay up front for excursions, drink packages, the Key and cabanas and such, if you see a sale, you can re-book for the lower price.

Also, you will love the different neighborhoods on the ship. It really spreads the crowds out. It amazed me how it never felt crowded, except for muster drill. My favorite place on the ship was Central Park. We will always try to get a cabin on deck 8 where this little quiet park is located. Hopefully, if Dorian cooperates we will be getting on the ship this coming Sunday! Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Oasis was our first Royal cruise! We had a ball. I was so nervous that we made the wrong choice coming from our one and only wonderful Dream cruise but no worries at all. My tip is tell you the cruise planner is your friend! You can keep checking for shows (aqua show, ice show and the Broadway show - I think it is still CATS on Oasis) but you want to book them ahead of time so you are assured getting into the theaters. Also, decide if you want or need the drink package. We don't drink all that much so the refreshment package suits me and hubby just fine with an occasional shot of the adult stuff along the way! Don't be afraid to book something on the cruise planner if you see it for a decent price. I like that even though you have to pay up front for excursions, drink packages, the Key and cabanas and such, if you see a sale, you can re-book for the lower price.

Also, you will love the different neighborhoods on the ship. It really spreads the crowds out. It amazed me how it never felt crowded, except for muster drill. My favorite place on the ship was Central Park. We will always try to get a cabin on deck 8 where this little quiet park is located. Hopefully, if Dorian cooperates we will be getting on the ship this coming Sunday! Any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you so much! It's funny how once you've been on Disney you get so worried to try new things. I was thinking to myself after I posted this, "such a first world problem, be thankful you are going on ANY cruise."

Thank you for the tips as well! We are not big drinkers either. We were thinking the soda package but maybe the one that has mocktails.

What about dining? Did you do the specialty dining? My husband is a foodie and if I'm being 100% honest, he has left our last couple Disney cruises underwhelmed. So I'm thinking I'll need to book the dining for the restaurants on Oasis.

Just try not to compare it. Royal arent trying to be Disney so it's not going to be the same. So if you're going wanting it to be Disney, then yes, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to go cruising and have a vacation and are open to new things, its going to be great.
Some things will be better. Some things wont. But most things will be different.

We have numerous Wonder cruises with more recent being 2 Dream and 2 Oasis cruises. While DCL has a "special place in our hearts" I must admit that fewer $$$ spent on a RCCL cruise compared to DCL also holds a "special place in our hearts" while "leaving more $$$ in our savings account" thus tipping the scale in favor of RCCL.

A new cruise line = A clean pallet for mixing fresh paints to create different memories. Leave the past cruises behind closed doors and open a door to new experiences. Everything will be fine, so enjoy!!

After many Disney cruises, we decided to give RC a try. I'm really excited, but now that it's "official' I'm having all of these questions and doubts....basically just praying that as Disney fans we aren't going to be disappointed. We are sailing on the Oasis in May 2020 and it'll be neat to see all the upgrades.

Any other tips, advice, etc? I'll be researching these threads but it's so stressful knowing we are "starting over" again with a new cruise line. I feel like I had Disney all figured out :-)

I haven't tried RCCL yet (I will in a few weeks) but I've tried Carnival 3 years ago after cruising with Disney and I love them too (for different reasons)...

I think that as long as you don't expect RCCL to do everything like Disney and you are aware of what will be different, you are more likely have a great time.

If your husband is a big foodie I'd recommend a dining package. You could consider the ultimate one which covers you for almost every meal, or just do a 3 or 4 night to try it out and give the main dining room a try. I really enjoy the main dining room, but it's hit or miss on whether it is very good or just okay. I've noticed the larger ships trend more towards just okay, but it's been 3 and a half years since I've been on an Oasis class.

Some tips for better food:
  1. Skip the buffet, especially on embarkation day. Park cafe will be open and is a better option on day one. There should be some other options too, but the buffet is a madhouse.
  2. Utilize the main dining room for breakfast and lunch. It's included, but they have limited hours. They will have a buffet setup as an option for breakfast and will have a salad bar setup at lunch. It's nice to have the table service from the waitstaff as well. You'll likely share a table, but we meet some great people this way. I've found you can get breakfast faster here than at the windjammer some mornings if you just eat from the buffet they have here. Plus the coffee is way better!
  3. If you're thinking about a dining package definitely pre-buy a package. They are a great value.
  4. If you do pre-buy a dining package you can go to any of the paid restaurants or to a table they will have around the promenade to book your reservations for the week. This will let you get the times you want.
Hope you have a blast! These ships are really amazing and I'm glad you'll get to sail her after her upgrades.

Just wanted to second the specialty dining which is yummy! Also, for breakfast a lot of people do not figure it out until later in the cruise but Johnny Rockets serves a free breakfast (fee for lunch and dinner). We found it uncrowded and quite good.

Also, if you do purchase the refreshment package periodically check the price. Last year we got the package for $18 per person per night and $20 this year. I have seen the price as high as $26 per person per night in the planner. So it pays to check.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just wanted to second the specialty dining which is yummy! Also, for breakfast a lot of people do not figure it out until later in the cruise but Johnny Rockets serves a free breakfast (fee for lunch and dinner). We found it uncrowded and quite good.

Also, if you do purchase the refreshment package periodically check the price. Last year we got the package for $18 per person per night and $20 this year. I have seen the price as high as $26 per person per night in the planner. So it pays to check.

Enjoy your cruise!
The Solarium Bistro has a smaller buffet for breakfast and lunch and it's usually pretty empty.

Great points!

Personally, when I try new cruise lines I keep an open mind but still allow for comparison because - if we're being honest - it's inevitable that we compare based on what we know.

The way I see it, it's still a cruise, so it's highly unlikely that I will hate it. So the question is really whether I will like it slightly more or less than the previous cruise, and that will often come down to personal preference and the usual variables - food, customer service et al. So definitely, enjoy yourself. And definitely ask questions about the oft confusing Cruise Planner.

If your husband is a big foodie I'd recommend a dining package. You could consider the ultimate one which covers you for almost every meal, or just do a 3 or 4 night to try it out and give the main dining room a try. I really enjoy the main dining room, but it's hit or miss on whether it is very good or just okay. I've noticed the larger ships trend more towards just okay, but it's been 3 and a half years since I've been on an Oasis class.

Some tips for better food:
  1. Skip the buffet, especially on embarkation day. Park cafe will be open and is a better option on day one. There should be some other options too, but the buffet is a madhouse.
  2. Utilize the main dining room for breakfast and lunch. It's included, but they have limited hours. They will have a buffet setup as an option for breakfast and will have a salad bar setup at lunch. It's nice to have the table service from the waitstaff as well. You'll likely share a table, but we meet some great people this way. I've found you can get breakfast faster here than at the windjammer some mornings if you just eat from the buffet they have here. Plus the coffee is way better!
  3. If you're thinking about a dining package definitely pre-buy a package. They are a great value.
  4. If you do pre-buy a dining package you can go to any of the paid restaurants or to a table they will have around the promenade to book your reservations for the week. This will let you get the times you want.
Hope you have a blast! These ships are really amazing and I'm glad you'll get to sail her after her upgrades.
This is super helpful! So am I reading correctly then that we cannot book our dining reservations until we are ON the ship? Do you know if there is problems getting reservations?

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you! Will definitely have to get the drink package. We are staying in a Boardwalk balcony so good to know about Johnny Rockets since it seems to be closer.

You can book restaurant reservations online in the cruise planner. Kids can go to the Solarium Bistro as they can enter it outside the Solarium (which is adults only).
Denise

This is super helpful! So am I reading correctly then that we cannot book our dining reservations until we are ON the ship? Do you know if there is problems getting reservations?
Yes and no. I believe if you get something like the Ultimate Dining Package you'll need to book once you're on the ship, but you can go to any specialty restaurant (I recommend just going to the ones in Central Park) and book all of them at once. If you're doing a one and done that can be done online.

Correct! If you get a dining package you'll save money but not be able to book before you get on the ship.

Unless you're sailing over New Years Eve or some other major holiday and absolutely have to have a prime seating time on one of those crazy busy days you should have no problem getting the restaurant and time you want!

We are dipping our toes in next year as well! Huge DCL fans but wanted to experience something different. Literally 1/3 the price of our Disney cruise and we booked Concierge level in an Owners Suite on Harmony of the Seas. We love the Fantasy so being on another very large ship will be a good comparison.

Part of the fun is researching and figuring out what sounds good to us. I love reading these threads and taking notes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter