We just purchased, but now I wonder- Why pay more for points, when they are the same value everywhere? $188pp vs. $60 for the same thing?

AdventureswithAmirah

Earning My Ears
We just purchased this past weekend after an 8 yr deliberation.:) Maybe we are missing something, but why on earth would I pay $188 per point when I can purchase them for less? We bought in at Old Key West directly from Disney at $155 per pt, but now I see them for even less on resale. We have never been to OKW and never really intend to stay there because we plan on using the points for either a 3 yr large family vacay or as needed for last minute vacations. I know we get special member perks for buying directly through DVC, but is there any reason to not buy additional points to top these off with resale points? Some of the resale points are $60 per point! We live in Florida and already stay on property about 10 times per year, but we usually use our military or pass holder rate. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you all.🙏

If you are only going every 3 years or for last minute trips then the perks that have any sort of real value have no meaning and last minute trips it doesn't matter where you own. And perks can change at any moment - as was seen with the recent BLT TOTWL fiascoe where the access for those staying at BLT was rescinded just 3 weeks prior to the date after DVC had stated it would be open for those staying at BLT. And especially since you live in FL and alreayd get the one with real value - access to purchase the Gold AP. And last minute trips it doesn't matter what points you own as points are all equal within 7 months. The one thing of any resale purchases now is that the points cannot be used for any new resorts starting with Riviera but you sound very willing to pay cash for trips etc. VB and HHI do have some of the largest maintenace fees and with a long enough ownership will eventually outweigh the lower purchase price. SSR tends to be the most economical ownership onsite.

I'd recommend you rescind the contract and give a little more consideration on if a direct purchase actually is beneficial as at first glance I'd say it isn't. You can always get a new contract if you find there is a compelling reason.

Wow, Kathy...I really appreciate your advice.💙 We were really just joining for the perks since we go all of the time anyway. One perk that was misleading was that we would get FREE parking at all Disney resorts (we are usually deluxe, so that would be $50 to $150 savings per trip). Well, today when I called about getting our parking fee removed for this past weekend, we were told that the free parking is only valid if you book through DVC (and unfortunately they DON'T do reservations for military rates, passholder rates, or FL. resident rates). That was a huge blow to what we thought we were getting. The other caveat was that we were interested in using our cash vacation RCI benefits this December for our 20th anniversary trip, but we aren't allowed to see what's available until after our closing date on Aug. 4th (which is obviously outside of our 10 day cancellation period). In addition, we just renewed our annual platinum passes, but another perk was supposed to be that we would save about $200 per year on that pass (or $800 total). Now I am realizing that this benefit could also be rescinded at any time. We did enjoy the Epcot lounge during a downpour yesterday, but it was a bit lack-luster compared to what I was expecting. I think the Disney Chase member lounge was even nicer, just on a smaller scale. I've also been reading that people are trying to Walk their reservations because of how many problems people are having with availability. It all just seems like a LOT of work. I spent many years planning as a military wife, but now I may be too spoiled by picking up and going on a whim. I still can't understand however, why someone would pay so much per point vs. resale if the perks are not guaranteed. Thanks again...Amirah

Wow, Kathy...I really appreciate your advice.💙 We were really just joining for the perks since we go all of the time anyway. One perk that was misleading was that we would get FREE parking at all Disney resorts (we are usually deluxe, so that would be $50 to $150 savings per trip). Well, today when I called about getting our parking fee removed for this past weekend, we were told that the free parking is only valid if you book through DVC (and unfortunately they DON'T do reservations for military rates, passholder rates, or FL. resident rates). That was a huge blow to what we thought we were getting. The other caveat was that we were interested in using our cash vacation RCI benefits this December for our 20th anniversary trip, but we aren't allowed to see what's available until after our closing date on Aug. 4th (which is obviously outside of our 10 day cancellation period). In addition, we just renewed our annual platinum passes, but another perk was supposed to be that we would save about $200 per year on that pass (or $800 total). Now I am realizing that this benefit could also be rescinded at any time. We did enjoy the Epcot lounge during a downpour yesterday, but it was a bit lack-luster compared to what I was expecting. I think the Disney Chase member lounge was even nicer, just on a smaller scale. I've also been reading that people are trying to Walk their reservations because of how many problems people are having with availability. It all just seems like a LOT of work. I spent many years planning as a military wife, but now I may be too spoiled by picking up and going on a whim. I still can't understand however, why someone would pay so much per point vs. resale if the perks are not guaranteed. Thanks again...Amirah

You've learned correctly about the parking fee. It is only when you are staying DVC, not other bookings. For the RCI were you thinking of cash stays at WDW via? That is not ever an option. And booking is getting more challenging. You have to be very flexible to get last minute bookings. If that's the plan I'd want to have the least amount of money invested to do so.

That was a huge blow to what we thought we were getting. The other caveat was that we were interested in using our cash vacation RCI benefits this December for our 20th anniversary trip, but we aren't allowed to see what's available until after our closing date on Aug. 4th

Resale members are eligible for RCI trades and RCI cash trips. That's not direct only and unlikely to be, because RCI has an interest in having people trade.

Resale members are eligible for RCI trades and RCI cash trips. That's not direct only and unlikely to be, because RCI has an interest in having people trade.
Thanks--Another reason that a resale purchase sounds like a better option. :) I'm still doing the math on dollar for dollar against the military discounts that we already get. Sometimes the rooms are 40% off, so I don't know if we actually should purchase at all. The only thing that may make it worth a purchase is the option to give it to our kids when they get older. I was interested in member events, but those are booked for this summer. Are there other perks that I am missing?

That makes sense. On my original question, why would anyone pay so much for points when they are available at a much lower rate? I'm thinking we may want to rent points to try out the system, but that still seems like quite a bit of work and planning vs. just calling and getting a reservation whenever we need it with one of our other 3 discounts.

If you are considering Vero Beach for onsite booking, don't. Booking at seven months out is only getting more difficult. We also live in Florida and still book our DVC stays no less than seven months out.

That makes sense. On my original question, why would anyone pay so much for points when they are available at a much lower rate?
Reasons, off the top of my head:

Buying Direct, paying more than resale
  • They bought 'on first impulse' and never considered shopping around. The salesperson said, "Sign here" and so, they did.
  • Fear of missing out. The salesperson said, "Buying from us is always better than resale," and they believed it 100%.
  • They wanted a particular resort before it was available via the resale market.
Buying Resale, paying more for one resort than another
  • They fell in love with the theming or amenity of a particular location and knew it was "home." Only that resort would do!
  • They felt owning DVC @ WDW would always guarantee them an on-property stay vs owning Hilton Head or Vero Beach with hopes to book WDW at 7 months.
  • Dues were more favorable at one location than another.
  • Length of contract was more favorable at one location than another.
  • Resale restrictions were more favorable at one location than another.
And so on.

• They bought 'on first impulse' and never considered shopping around. The salesperson said, "Sign here" and so, they did.
  • Fear of missing out. The salesperson said, "Buying from us is always better than resale," and they believed it 100%.
  • They wanted a particular resort before it was available via the resale market.

Things that some people have posted:
  • The trust Disney so will only buy from them
  • They just don't care that it costs more if it's easier
  • They can get a payback via discounted AP's for a larger family (as long as the benefits remain)
  • They didn't know resale exists
  • FOMO
  • The want to be "real" members

I think you should rescind your offer.

1. DVC is really not great for a vacation every 3rd year. While the system is does allow for it, you have to bank and borrow. If that trip gets canceled, you could lose 2 years worth of points. When you do every third year, the risk of breakage grows.

2. DVC is not great for last minute vacations. Availability is very limited. DVC is a lot better when booking well in advance. Unless you want 1 bed rooms at SSR or OKW, or the Bora Bora bungalows, I think buying DVC with the intent on last minute reservations is risky and may lead to disappointment.

Buying Direct:
1. Until recently, when DVC starting jacking up the sold out resorts like Poly and CCV, resale for them was not a whole lot cheaper for them. a call to dvc got you the points in a flash, the member benefits, no ROFR.

2. Small add ons, with a specific UY - You can have a hard time finding these. Might just go to disney for them. It could take a year or more to get your hands on a 50 pointer with a specific UY at a specific resort.

3. People listen to the guides telling them that resale contracts are flawed for whatever reason.

4. They dont care or dont know any better.

REMEMBER:
You are buying a fraction of a residential unit. NOTHING ELSE. Perks can come and go. Although parking is covered by maintenance fees, that is why you do not pay parking when staying at DVC with your DVC points, and why it is not covered when staying in a cash room.

You said in your second post you are really just joining for the perks since you go all the time anyway. I think this is a mistake. That is a lot of money for perks that can change, and if you live in FL, you already get the biggest perk of all, the FL resident rate on APs

Last edited:

Buying Resale, paying more for one resort than another
  • They fell in love with the theming or amenity of a particular location and knew it was "home." Only that resort would do!
  • They felt owning DVC @ WDW would always guarantee them an on-property stay vs owning Hilton Head or Vero Beach with hopes to book WDW at 7 months.
  • Dues were more favorable at one location than another.
  • Length of contract was more favorable at one location than another.
  • Resale restrictions were more favorable at one location than another.
And so on.
Well, after reading this entire thread to my husband, it looks like we should definitely cancel our contract and rethink the possibility of purchasing resale (if at all). I watched the Disboard video today that said we are the type of people who should NOT buy DVC at all (military, last-minute travelers, and people who are buying for the perks). We were in our sales presentation for almost 4 hours so I felt like we asked plenty of questions, but I guess there was a lot that we couldn't have known to ask about. I feel very blessed to have found this discussion board! :)

We did enjoy the Epcot lounge during a downpour yesterday

How did you get in there if you haven't even hit your closing date yet?

On my original question, why would anyone pay so much for points when they are available at a much lower rate?

Well, why did you? That's a reason why. :)

We bought direct with a new resort. We did so because we had to finance in order to buy then, and the resale financing world wasn't that big in 2009.

While the system is does allow for it, you have to bank and borrow. If that trip gets canceled, you could lose 2 years worth of points. When you do every third year, the risk of breakage grows.

Depending on when your vacation falls compared to your Use Year, you could lose all three years...

if you live in FL, you already get the biggest perk of all, the FL resident rate on APs

Agreed.

Well, after reading this entire thread to my husband, it looks like we should definitely cancel our contract and rethink the possibility of purchasing resale (if at all). I watched the Disboard video today that said we are the type of people who should NOT buy DVC at all (military, last-minute travelers, and people who are buying for the perks). We were in our sales presentation for almost 4 hours so I felt like we asked plenty of questions, but I guess there was a lot that we couldn't have known to ask about. I feel very blessed to have found this discussion board! :)
Resale + "last minute travelers" might still be a good combination.

FWIW, I live ~2 hours drive from Disneyland. We use other timeshare, near DL, rather frequently for short visits (1 or 2 night stays). Most of these are booked w/in days or weeks of the visit while stalking inventory online. Once you get into the game of stalking inventory as a pastime, you'll find last minute inventory as other owners cancel reservations. Sometimes I find DVC's Grand Cal using the same game: "Just browsing inventory ... oh, look! A night or two just sitting there ... we should go!" ;)

Only you would know if "stalking inventory online" is a game or work in your view. For me, clearly a game.

We just purchased this past weekend after an 8 yr deliberation.:) Maybe we are missing something, but why on earth would I pay $188 per point when I can purchase them for less? We bought in at Old Key West directly from Disney at $155 per pt, but now I see them for even less on resale. We have never been to OKW and never really intend to stay there because we plan on using the points for either a 3 yr large family vacay or as needed for last minute vacations. I know we get special member perks for buying directly through DVC, but is there any reason to not buy additional points to top these off with resale points? Some of the resale points are $60 per point! We live in Florida and already stay on property about 10 times per year, but we usually use our military or pass holder rate. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you all.🙏

This doesn't seem like the fiscally right decision for you guys, and i'd cancel and explore the resale market. Even if you wanted OKW again you'd save a lot of money. If you never intended to stay there, i'd buy where you and your family would want to stay every 3 years via resale for that big trip (even then, i'm not sure you'd get the most bang for your buck versus just paying cash or renting the points you need for those big trips).

Impromptu trips can be tough to swing via DVC unless you're ok staying at Saratoga Springs, as that seems to be the only resort regularly available for last minute trips.

As for why people buy direct...I can only speak to myself. We bought at CCV in large part because that is where we want to stay, and based on research knew we would need the 11 month booking window for there. The difference in resale prices at the time, and cost to buy direct was roughly $20PP so not a huge difference (now that CCV is $210 a point we would have something to consider). We also wanted the ability to be able to stay at Riviera and any future new DVC resorts down the road, which we wouldn't have been able to do without buying direct, and we also wanted the annual pass discount which factored into our decision.

Last edited:
Depending on when your vacation falls compared to your Use Year, you could lose all three years...
Agreed.

True. If your vacation is passed your banking deadline and you also cancel passed your banking deadline you could easily loose your current points as well, so 3 years worth of points would be gone.

Impromptu trips can be tough to swing via DVC unless you're ok staying at Saratoga Springs, as that seems to be the only resort regularly available for last minute trips.
Indeed, SSR is the "common wisdom" for last minute visits ... however ... stalking can still bring surprises. While staying at OKW for the DVC Member Event last Oct, we booked two nights in BWV Std View Studio for later the same month (just weeks out). Breakage is out there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter