We are heading back to the City of Lights... Help me plan...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Bonjour, and Joyeux Noel

DH and I have had much discussion about where we are going next year for our big trip... we both really feel like there is so much to see in France, and that we only scratched the surface this year... so we are returning...

We are thinking either late April- early May - or late September or early October... Thoughts on this time of year... Weather? Are there planned Strikes, I could not find anything for in the fall, suggestion on where to look. Crowds? Holidays?

9 nights, and a travel day on each end - we more than likely will stay where we stay last year about a block from the Arc de Triomphe, we love this area... We would like to use Paris as a home base...

Things that we want to revisit and new destination to check out.

Versailles - we did a half day, and it wasn't enough time we did not get to see the gardens, or Little Trianon and I want to walk in the Hall of Mirrors again...... so we want a full day this time to see everything.

Normandy - I know this is a long day trip, but it is important to visit... Any suggestion on a tour company...

The Chateau / Du Vin region - or suggestion of something different, some friends spent the day at a working farm and winery... with a wonderful lunch in the vineyard...so any thought on this or something similar?

Another day trip... Suggestions? please...

We want to revisit - The Louvre - we did get to see the Mona Lisa.. but only covered around a third of it... wanting to see the rest..

Dinner at the Eiffel tower for sure...

Possible a day visit to DLP - but not sure if we will have time for it...

So what are some other suggestions, tours, sights, food, we are very open to try things...

Merci...

For Normandy, you should post in the DCL section . The British Isles cruisers in the last few years have done port excursions to Normandy and the beaches. Some of them have done the official DCL excursions and some have organised their own DIY excursion. You could also check out the official DCL website and have a look at what Disney offer the cruisers for Normandy.

Strikes are not planned that far ahead. It really depends on how the political situation, and also how the Gilets Jaunes-movement will evolve. It's too early to tell.

Strikes are not planned that far ahead. It really depends on how the political situation, and also how the Gilets Jaunes-movement will evolve. It's too early to tell.

Op here, sorry so long to respond... I have been knee deep in Christmas... do you have any thoughts or suggestions when the strikes time line might become available? We are leaning towards, Late September or very early October... One of our friends stated that during that time frame strikes are not allowed or something... I took it with a grain of salt...I haven't seen much in the new lately any more riots, or marches...but I have been really occupied with family and Christmas... Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated...

For Normandy, you should post in the DCL section . The British Isles cruisers in the last few years have done port excursions to Normandy and the beaches. Some of them have done the official DCL excursions and some have organised their own DIY excursion. You could also check out the official DCL website and have a look at what Disney offer the cruisers for Normandy.

OP here - Thanks for that suggestion... Will be checking it out...

Op here, sorry so long to respond... I have been knee deep in Christmas... do you have any thoughts or suggestions when the strikes time line might become available? We are leaning towards, Late September or very early October... One of our friends stated that during that time frame strikes are not allowed or something... I took it with a grain of salt...I haven't seen much in the new lately any more riots, or marches...but I have been really occupied with family and Christmas... Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated...

The French have a long history with going on strike, it is part of the culture. But unfortunately they do not go on strike on a schedule. As far as I know, there are no rules about when to go or not to go on strike. However, I think summer is usually low on strikes. But that could be as the strikers want to go on vacation themselves ;)

In 2018 there were strikes planned for September and October, The September one was called off, but also that is not a given.

When the strikes are announced it is usually a few weeks in advance, but not months.

A few days ago there were gilets jaunes protests again, but less protesters than before. What helps is that the president has made some promises, no rise in gas and electricty costs in winter, minimum wage goes up. This helps, however that doesn't mean the issues in France are solved. There are no guarantees.

There are no calculated risks you can take. Just plan what is best for your family and schedule, either you are lucky or you are not.

The French have a long history with going on strike, it is part of the culture. But unfortunately they do not go on strike on a schedule. As far as I know, there are no rules about when to go or not to go on strike. However, I think summer is usually low on strikes. But that could be as the strikers want to go on vacation themselves ;)

In 2018 there were strikes planned for September and October, The September one was called off, but also that is not a given.

When the strikes are announced it is usually a few weeks in advance, but not months.

A few days ago there were gilets jaunes protests again, but less protesters than before. What helps is that the president has made some promises, no rise in gas and electricty costs in winter, minimum wage goes up. This helps, however that doesn't mean the issues in France are solved. There are no guarantees.

There are no calculated risks you can take. Just plan what is best for your family and schedule, either you are lucky or you are not.

Thanks for the info... when traveling you just gotta go with the flow... but I would like to be prepared some what for the what if's... when we were in Paris in May the trains were on strike so we used uber, taxis and private car to get around when walking was not a option. As well Air France was off and on strike... and there was a large demonstration going on, and the hotel we stayed out was very good about letting us know what areas to stay out of, which we appreciated.

One of the best tips that we got for international travel was right here on the DIS, was to wait to purchase tickets, for trains, metro, museums, tours or day trips, until we arrived to check out what the climate was on all fronts, and any strikes or weather issues. I listened and it worked out great for us. Plus it gave us more wiggle room, if we wanted to sleep in or call it a night early...the Hotel concierge was amazing, and matched us with smaller group tour companies, and gave out great advice...

As always Thanks for the info, and suggestions, or guidance is appreciated...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter