WDW w/ Family of 6? Kids 9/6/5/8mos

sfb0415

Steve
We're planning to take the crew down in mid October. Curious on everyone's thoughts on the best hotel for a family of our size, along with suggestions for best parks for that age mix. Thanks!

Our kids are 9,7,5 and 2. We have stayed at the Family Suites at Art of Animation. You get 2 bathrooms, a bedroom (with a queen I think), a living area with minifridge and microwave, a table that folds out into a bed (which all 3 of the big kids fought over) and a sofa bed. It is a value resort (but we have never stayed deluxe or in a villa) and we liked that much better than when we stayed at Caribbean Beach (one of the rooms that sleep 5 and a baby- we were like sardines in there!). The kids still ask to go back to the Lion King rooms. It is cozy (we had the 2 year old sleeping on a cot in our room) but we weren't unhappy. We actually bought into DVC so will be trying the bigger villas later this year.
We like all the parks- (but do end up mostly splitting up at Hollywood studios). I take the two littles and do things like the DIsney Junior show (although the bigs like to do that once too) and the Frozen show while my husband takes the big kids onto Tower of Terror and Rocking Rollercoaster. Although my five year old is big enough to do Star Tours and Jedi Training, he doesn't like it. Everyone likes Toy Story land and the Disney Junior Breakfast.
We got into Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom last time we were there and the whole family loved that too. We typically do Epcot in a half day.

I am also part of a six person family. It really all depends on the price you are willing to spend for a hotel room. Some of the deluxe resorts have rooms that sleep 6, such as the "Deluxe Room" at Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Wilderness. These room types are nearly identical and they may be a bit cramped. They have two queen beds and a pull out sofa. At these resorts there are also 1 and 2 bedroom suites (except at Wilderness), which are far more expensive and are in additional locations like the Animal Kingdom lodge and the Contemporary; these rooms also have far more room to move about. As for the moderate resorts there are far less options for resorts. Coronado has a few suites which I have never stayed at including new suites in the Gran Destino Tower. I am part of a family of 6 adults so we cannot really squeeze into the rooms for 5 but I believe there are a few rooms for 5 in Port Orleans Riverside. And as for the Value resorts, The All Star Music includes rooms that sleep 6 and then the Art of Animation as TEM1234 stated has suites that are quite roomy. As for price those "deluxe rooms" go for on average $800 a night while the Art of Animation suites are about $600 a night. I believe that the Music suites are around $300 or so and then the 1 or 2 bedroom suites are in the $1,000-2,500 a night range. I am just going off from the top of my head but I believe that these figures are pretty accurate.

My family and I like the suites at Art of Animation and the All Star Music the best, not only for price but for amount if space. While it can be fun to stay at those deluxe resorts and use club level, for us the space cannot be beat at the value resorts.

As for the parks Disney really tries to mix in something for all ages at each of their parks so you really can't go wrong anyway. I guess the MK has the most to do and the widest array of attractions, shows, and dining but you should be good at all of the parks.

I know that was long winded but Resort Reservations is my niche. I hope this helps.

The 8 month old wouldn't count, so you can technically still do the 5 person standard rooms at a moderate or deluxe and or/ dvc villas that sleep 5. Those would be my pick to try out before you have to move on to the 6 person rooms once the youngest is older. You can request a crib for the youngest or have them sleep with you.

The 8 month old wouldn't count, so you can technically still do the 5 person standard rooms at a moderate or deluxe and or/ dvc villas that sleep 5. Those would be my pick to try out before you have to move on to the 6 person rooms once the youngest is older. You can request a crib for the youngest or have them sleep with you.
Really good point. So it really comes down to how much space you guys would need.

If you can commit and pay for your room far in advance, consider renting DVC points for a suite at a deluxe resort. I think you can do 6 in some of the one bedrooms with the little one in a crib. You get more space, a full kitchen, and a washer and dryer. We don't really cook full meals, but the full size fridge is nice. We like to keep sandwich stuff on hand, cold drinks, milk, etc. Sometimes we'll make frozen pizzas or spaghetti, something very easy.

we always stay at the Sheraton vistana , I would rather save my money for Disney parks....
we have 7 of us- 8,12,24,24,23 and us two bedroom one room with two doubles one with a King living with a pull out. on we pay 650 for a week. you can try skyauction or if you join the Sheraton starwood/bonvoy/vistana rewards they will offer it to you about the same. you dont have to do the meeting but we always do cause I like the giftcards they give me. there is a thread on here if you want to know more.

If you can commit and pay for your room far in advance, consider renting DVC points for a suite at a deluxe resort. I think you can do 6 in some of the one bedrooms with the little one in a crib. You get more space, a full kitchen, and a washer and dryer. We don't really cook full meals, but the full size fridge is nice. We like to keep sandwich stuff on hand, cold drinks, milk, etc. Sometimes we'll make frozen pizzas or spaghetti, something very easy.
Renting points for October is going to be very hard since it is almost booked up now. They would need to find a confirmed reservation and not pick and choose their resort.

Renting points for October is going to be very hard since it is almost booked up now. They would need to find a confirmed reservation and not pick and choose their resort.

yup, if they're going this year it would be very difficult. I said commit and pay far in advance, thinking forward to next year

Really good point. So it really comes down to how much space you guys would need.

Yes, and please consider that the baby is tiny, but the gear for the baby is not. Whether you bring a PNP or get a crib from Disney, add in a stroller and the rest, and I would have to think that you are already out of the running for a "room for 5 plus baby" situation. Those "sleeps 5" rooms look tight for five, and baby + gear would make them tighter.
If you think CL would work for you (if nothing else, you wake up and can get breakfast right there before heading out), those deluxe rooms could be OK. For a more affordable price, AoA suites and the Cabins at Ft Wilderness would work, too.
The Cabins are nice if your kids can make a ruckus as mine can, as you share a wall with no one! It lowered my stress level. The bedroom is tight with a queen and bunk beds, so you would have to figure out the baby's sleeping situation. But the living/dinning/kitchen area was roomy enough. My 2yo shared the sofa bed with the 12yo or squeezed in with us. The 9yo and 7yo loved the bunks and have asked to go back. And we all loved tooling around the grounds in the golf cart we rented. The Fort is really a special place unlike anywhere else at WDW. Deer, rabbits, green space that is appropriate for running around and playing, nice splash pad.
But AoA gives you two bathrooms and is on the Skyliner system, if you're looking at lots of DHS or Epcot days. And I give it the edge in dining options (including hours of availability).

I actually smiled just reading the title of this thread, as it got me misty for our first Disney family trip, to DLR seven years ago when my three sons were 8, 5, and 2. It's really a special trip when all are young, no one is "too cool" or has "grown out" (or been Disney aged out) of any experience. You will have a magical time (with lots of hand washing because if one gets sick, they can take you all out)!

You might consider the DoubleTree in Disney Springs. You can get a one-bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and a queen sofabed for the price of a value resort (look for Mousesavers deals that include free breakfast and waived resort fees). You'll still get the benefit of 60 day FP booking and extra magic hours. The downside would be that the bus transportation is less frequent and reliable than the "on-site" hotels.

I would stick with the family suites or cabin at FW. If you want a standard hotel room I would stick with the deluxe properties for the extra space. I guess you could fit everyone in a place like Riverside but with a crib I really don't know how you'd find room to move.. We have 4 kids and I would never have attempted it when they were small. Have a great trip.

Disney standard hotel rooms are pretty tight. We've stayed in a standard room at the Caribbean Beach Resort that could sleep 5, with 2 queen beds and a pull down bed. We had no room to put away our suitcase or unpack our things and the stroller had to be folded and awkwardly stood in a corner. I couldn't imagine adding an infant, who would at the very least need a PNP, to the mix. If you want to stay on Disney property, you should look at something larger than a standard room. The family suites at Art of Animation are a good suggestion!

Are you planning to go this October? If so, I'd get something booked ASAP. You are already well inside the window to make dining reservations and your day to make Fastpass reservations would be coming up in August.

We just stayed at POR with our family of six (Kids are 7,5,2 and 1). The 2yo slept on the pull down bed and we tucked the pack-n-play underneath the safe in the sink area. The price was reasonable and we all slept hard in that little room! We had absolutely no problem sleeping. The refurbed rooms were very dark and quiet.

We did a split stay and managed to get a last minute 1 Bedroom at Saratoga and in hindsight wished we had just stayed at POR the whole trip.

We stayed at the Family Suites at All Star Music a few years back and really enjoyed them as well. They are cheaper then the Fort Wilderness Cabins and Art of Animation and we had a great time staying there!

We have pretty much the same size family, 9, 6, 4, and 10 months and were just at Port Orleans Riverside in a 5 person room. It has space to fit 5 but we co-slept with our baby. Trying to fit a crib and stroller in there would be near impossible.

We also really just use our room for sleeping and only had one or two breaks over the course of our vacation in the room.

Yes, and please consider that the baby is tiny, but the gear for the baby is not. Whether you bring a PNP or get a crib from Disney, add in a stroller and the rest, and I would have to think that you are already out of the running for a "room for 5 plus baby" situation. Those "sleeps 5" rooms look tight for five, and baby + gear would make them tighter.
If you think CL would work for you (if nothing else, you wake up and can get breakfast right there before heading out), those deluxe rooms could be OK. For a more affordable price, AoA suites and the Cabins at Ft Wilderness would work, too.
The Cabins are nice if your kids can make a ruckus as mine can, as you share a wall with no one! It lowered my stress level. The bedroom is tight with a queen and bunk beds, so you would have to figure out the baby's sleeping situation. But the living/dinning/kitchen area was roomy enough. My 2yo shared the sofa bed with the 12yo or squeezed in with us. The 9yo and 7yo loved the bunks and have asked to go back. And we all loved tooling around the grounds in the golf cart we rented. The Fort is really a special place unlike anywhere else at WDW. Deer, rabbits, green space that is appropriate for running around and playing, nice splash pad.
But AoA gives you two bathrooms and is on the Skyliner system, if you're looking at lots of DHS or Epcot days. And I give it the edge in dining options (including hours of availability).

I actually smiled just reading the title of this thread, as it got me misty for our first Disney family trip, to DLR seven years ago when my three sons were 8, 5, and 2. It's really a special trip when all are young, no one is "too cool" or has "grown out" (or been Disney aged out) of any experience. You will have a magical time (with lots of hand washing because if one gets sick, they can take you all out)!
We are dvc and thus always stay in a villa. Last year, I’d rented my points out thinking we were not going. Turns out we could make a trip but too late to book October with dvc. We stayed in the cabins. It was wonderful! My kids are begging to go back. We are five. Twins took the bunk beds, dh the queen and I slept on the pullout with our oldest. Not the most romantic trip, but lots of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter