WDW w/ a 17mo old - In late July/early Aug

stiej

Mouseketeer
Our best friends are going to Orlando 7/30-8/3 and have invited us to meet them down there. They're dates are pretty concrete since they are using their parents condo. We have been getting concerned because we are taking our baby who will be 17mos when we go. I know it will be obnoxiously hot - so should we reconsider these dates? I personally would like to try to go this Spring when he wouldn't get as hot. I guess my main question is Should we reschedule our trip to the spring or fall when it isn't as hot? How have you who have taken babies in the summer fared? Thanks!

Christie

We took my GN during that time when she was 7 months. She did fine. We made sure she drank plenty--even added an extra ounce of water to her bottles. We also applied lots of sunscreen--especially to the parts that stuck out from her stroller. You wouldn't believe how many infants I've seen at WDW with RED feet! We got her a Solumbra hat with a drape to cover her head, neck and face. We headed back to FW for naps and rest in the heat of the day and otherwise had a great time!

Now, in no way was this a regular trip. We did things she would enjoy and skipped anything that we couldn't all do. We go regularly but this was her first trip!

One thing we have done with her for every trip (7 months, 12 months, 18 months, and coming up on 2 1/2) is stand her next to the wooden Indian on Main Street in MK and get her photo. We are making an album just of these photos--kind of a growth chart! Got this idea on the DIS, I think.

86 days to go

We took our DD in July when she was 18 months. We had her drink lots of water and wear a hat when she would keep it on. We left the parks most days in the afternoons to nap or relax in a shaded spot ot the pool. She did beautifully. I am a teacher so we can only go during the summer months. It wasn't a problem. We took our DS when he was 7months. As long as you monitor direct sun and fluids, you should be fine! ENJOY!

I think it depends on how you personally also do in the summer FL heat. I personally don't enjoy it, which is why we go in the late fall. Even in late fall, we had to put sunscreen, a hat, extra water and take shade breaks for then 14-month old DD. But it was pleasant to walk around in. During the summer months I've been in FL it is not a pleasure to be touring around. That is just my opinion which is why I think it depends on how YOU feel about high humidity more than the baby. The little ones espcially toddlers don't seem to notice, they just seem to keep going and going!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter