• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vets Visit Disneyland Day 1...California Here We Come!

CamColt

The Cast
Myself - Self proclaimed Disney Freak...I like everything Disney and all rides
DH- Closet Disney Freak (he blames it on me, but loves it just as much), also will ride anything
Cam 8- Not very daring, likes the simple rides
Colt 5- Our wildman daredevil, who unfortuantely is too short for some rides

The day was finally here!!!

Due to a 6:30am flight, I was up at 2:30am. I got ready, did last minute packing, checked our Jet Blue flight on line (on time, YAY) and got the kids going. Before long my mother was at our door at 4:00am to take us to the airport shuttle.

We arrived at the Logan Express, got tickets, and before long we were on the 4:30 bus to Logan Airport. We arrived by 5:00am and since we had already checked in on line the night before, all we had to do was drop off our luggage at the kiosk and we were ready to go. Since everything went smoothly we had time for breakfast. Burger King and Dunkin Donuts were just opening up so we were set. After breakfast we went through security, which was fairly quick. We were at the gate, looking at our plane before 6:00, when they started boarding. This was our first time flying Jet Blue and we were happy with them.

Our flight took off a bit late, around 6:50 (people were in the wrong seats and had to be rearranged), but we ended up landing at Long Beach Airport earlier than expected at 9:19 (California time). What a long day we had had already!

We collected our luggage, which came very quickly and then found our Super Shuttle to take us to the Disneyland Hotel. We had booked an exclusive shuttle because I had heard if you don’t you may have to go to other hotels first or wait for other people at the airport, and we just wanted to get there.

Upon arrival at Disneyland Hotel, we checked in quickly. Everything was done by 10:30 am, but our room was not ready yet. We stored our luggage with Bell Services then headed out right away. We were ready for lunch (almost dinner by that point, LOL)and wanted to go to ESPN at Downtown Disney. We took a few pictures under the sorcerers hat on the way then arrived at ESPN before 11:00am. They don’t open until 11:00. So we walked around a bit, called home to say hi, and then went for lunch. We enjoyed our meal here, but it wasn’t as good as ESPN in WDW. And, I was so excited to be in DL, I forgot to bring along our vouchers for our $10.00 game cards for ESPN.

After lunch we took some time to walk around DTD to see what was there then we returned to our hotel, hoping our room would be ready. It was and boy were we happy with it. We were in the Bonita Tower, 5th floor, facing the waterfall. What a view! We could see the Matterhorn and the tops of Space & Thunder Mts.

Once we settled in a bit and unpacked it was 2:30 and we headed back to DTD. This time I brought the vouchers for the game cards so we spent some time in the sports arena at ESPN. The kids loved this. We also picked up the free tote bag and lanyards that came with our package and did a little shopping.

By about 4:15 we returned to DLH, to spend some time in the pool. The kids really had fun at this pool. Between Captain Hooks Ship, and the water slide, they were having a blast. By 6:30(which was really 9:30 our time) we decided to call it a night.

We returned to the room, but looked for a place to grab a bite to eat on the way. Since we couldn’t find any pizza, hotdogs, or macaroni (the only things Colt will eat), DH decided he would return to DTD and pick up a pizza to go from Napolini. We had walked by there earlier and it looked/smelled really good. Here DH got the surprise of his life when a cheese pizza came to $30.00, LOL! But in fairness it was very large, and full of cheese. This was an excellent pizza. In fact, just today Cam said to me he wanted to go to California to get a pizza for dinner (referring to this one). I hadn’t planned on having any dinner since I had filled up at ESPN, but I couldn’t pass this pizza up.

As tired as we all were, we were wired too, but I finally got the kids to bed at 8:00 and I crashed a little after, after being up for about 21 hours. At 9:40 I was awoken to banging. I jumped out of bed (pretty much blind, with no contacts in) and looked out the window to see all sorts of lights. I found my glasses and was able to watch the fireworks from the room. They were a bit obstructed by the Sierra Tower, but still amazing. I wanted to wake everyone else up to see this, but I knew that would be a mistake, so I savored the moment… then crashed!

Link to day 1 pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=897950

Great start to your day, Katie! Can't wait to read more. You're getting me excited for my DL trip in October :)

Karen

Thanks for sharing, we are going to be on our way in a few days! :goodvibes

How did you like DLH...and did you have a chance to check out GC! I especially like hearing reports from WDW vets because it gives me great insight as to what to expect for our 1st visit to DL! keep the reports coming!

Funny you should ask that, AspiringCindy. I had planned to go check out all the hotels and we were just so busy, I never did.

But we really liked DLH. It was about a 10 minute walk to the parks and we were in the Bonita Tower, which seems like the furthest away. Plus they were doing construction at the entrance so we had to walk around to the front of the building to get in and out which made it a bit further. I think in general most rooms would be shorter than a 10 minute walk.

The Disney touches in the room were great. I loved the view,and the size of the room was fine for the 4 of us. I would move the chair to the sliders, open them, and sit there. Even though it wasnt a balcony, it was the next best thing. I enjoyed having my muffin and diet coke there in the morning.

My only complaints about the hotel were they counter service foods were limited and as you will see on my 4th day report, the laundry room is too small for a hotel that size. So, very minor complaints about the hotel.;)

WE still haven't decided which hotel to stay at,but I am leaning toward DLH because my kids are still young...and everyone says it has the most DisMagic! I know GC is closer, but giving the distance from DLH to MK and CA...my husband and kids will be thrilled!
Was there an area of the pool that had zero entry? I thought I read somewhere that the cove pool might have zero entry!

I didnt notice the zero entry, but that doesnt mean it wasnt there.

There was a kiddie water slide that went into the pool and the kids were allowed to wear the vests on that slide. They couldnt wear them on the real slide. Thats another thing I should mention. They have life vests you can use (no charge to borrow them) right in the pool area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter